Exponential Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Exponential HoppinessExponential Hoppiness

Wants: 1,485
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-08-2003

This Hop Monster uses multiple kettle hop additions with the technique of doubling the hop amount each addition (exponentially). Add in the hop back and the continuous dry hopping and your starting to get the picture. The beer is finished off with a "body-bag" sized hop-bag full of hop cones and oak chips. There it ages and mellows, disguising the alcohol content for a double strong, incredibly hoppy, yet drinkable beer.
Reviews: 389 | Hads: 1,214
4.48/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in an amber orange color.

The aroma is just huge. There's tons of aggressive juicy orange and grapefruit. There's a bit of West Coast pine, but just tons and tons of hops.

The beer is so hoppy and smooth. The beer just rolls and rolls on hops. It's quite bitter with juicy grapefruit and orange along with a big caramel bready malt backbone. A bit of alcohol in there.

There's a hint of that oak on the finish that really makes the beer a bit different. I sensed it at first and couldn't exactly pin point the flavor. It gives the beer another level of flavors along with that bittering on the end.

Of the line of Alpine's beers, this does something quite different being a larger ABV. I prefer the more refreshing smaller beers. This has a malt backbone that is a bit too big (along with alcohol) and not my preference. (841 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber, courtesy of millerbuffoon, poured into a Weyerbacher tulip. Shared at a tasting.

A: Hazy amber body under a finger of creamy eggshell foam. Great retention and lacing, especially for its strength.

S: Intense, directly organic hops: pine, floral, grapefruit, mango, vanilla, and general sweet greatness.

T: Follows the nose: hugely hoppy, sweet vanilla, lemon-lime citrus hoppiness, oak, and some booze. Huge.

M: Sticky medium body with a good amount of soft carbonation. Solid.

O: Not for the faint of heart. Gigantic hops + gigantic alcohol + substantial oak = a monster of a beer. While this one has potential to spare to become an unbalanced mess of sweetness, it has enough hops to keep that from happening. Genuinely impressive, and genuinely delicious.

Cheers! (780 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

271st review on BA
bottle to tulip

App- A huge two finger head that was pretty resigned to stick around for a bit. A nice golden orange with yellow highlights. Scattered lacing as well.

Smell- I was suprised at the aroma of this one. Some light hops and some tropical and citrusy fruits. A touch lemony to me. A little bit of cream soda.

Drink- This was very good. Was a big and creamy 11% monster. The ABV is well masked and has a nice hop spice with a little dryness.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium to high carbonation level. A creamy aftertaste with well rounded flavor profile.

Drink- This was a big beer. I would attempt to drink another but would want to walk afterwards. This was tasty, complex and very creamy. (727 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Thanks to LegalBrew87 on sending this my way!

A: beautiful straw to gold color with a small white head that leaves some lacing. Looks fairly thick, with not a hint of cloudiness.

S: woody and earthy at first, some spicy hop smells, and sweetness comes through as it warms.

T: pretty mellow, some apricot, wood, and a bitter bite mixed with a sweet candy-like taste. A big weird, but still good. Lot of other fruity flavors I can't identify, but it is full of flavor.

M: big body, medium carbonation, smooth feeling.

O: solid beer, and very well put together, but I'm rating it based on my tastes. It's fruity and woody and delicious, but not my favorite because it's not in my face with hops. (702 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Big thanks to sleepyhead for sending me this one.

A: Pours a deep citrus-amber with a couple fingers of very dense off-white head that slowly receded into a thick film that lasted forever and left huge rings and chunks of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Big huge perfumey hops. Holly cow this one smells great! Huge notes of exotic fruits and grapefruit along with tangerines and earthy peppery spices.
T: Follows the nose with a big in your face grapefruit hop punch. Notes of tangerines, bitter orange peel and sticky hop resin coat your palate the whole beer through. There is a ton of sweet malt that comes through in the finish with an oaky roasted flavor. Very barleywine like.
M: Alcohol is masked extremely well for such a big beer. Mouthfeel is viscous and oily with a sticky-sweet finish. Medium-full body with low carbonation.
D: Feels more like a barleywine as it warms. Definitely a great beer, but not my favorite DIPA. Can't wait to try Pure Hoppiness. Thanks again Jeff for the great brew! (1,038 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -10.7%

Big thanks to StarRaptor for this treat!

Pours a slightly hazy sunny orange color. Nearly bright white head, slightly spongy with light lace remnants.

Citrus aroma with notes or pineapple and tropical fruits mingle with a solid malt base and inescapable slight fusal alcohol.

More tropical fruits on the taste, with a caramel malt backing minimal bitterness, light sweetness and a touch of heat on the finish.

Creamy, slick and slightly oily texture. Fairly full bodied for an IPA; sits a little heavy on the palate. Good feel to it. Drinkability is good considering the ABV.

This is unmistakably solid. I've had a few other "Triple IPAs", and though this is good, it's not the best I've had. Would drink again in a heartbeat though. (743 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Very pleased to have finally had the opportunity to try this beer. No doubt it was on my IPA/DPA bucket list. Enjoying this bomber after some interesting meetings.

Not a great deal of head forms as I pour into y Charleston Beer Exchange glass. Bright Orange color with a thickness to the color. A few suds in the glass, but not a lot of lace left behind.

My GOD that aroma is thick in your nostrils. Resinous, Sweet, I can already tell it will be sticky just from smelling it. Tons of ripe and almost over ripe tropical fruit. Some sticky pine in the background.

First thought is about the sweetness that is so chewy and resinous. Lots o’ hops here. TOns of sticky sweet fruit as I thought. Lots of tropical notes at first then off to the pine forest. Some herbal notes late. I’d say the abv is tamped down by the sweetness, but I wouldn’t say it’s hidden. You can just tell this is a big beer.

Yep, this is a sticky resin bomb. Hop oils coat your tongue. Not for the faint of heart.

My God, this is a big beer. Almost bordering on over the top. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great... But it’s a mouth full.

I read the label and see there are Oak Chips used here. I’d never notice or mention this in a million years without having read this on the label. Even after knowing, I can’t tell you I sense their inclusion.

I believe that Duet (then Nelson) remains my favorite Alpine item. But this is a treat for sure. (1,434 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -27.4%

Big thanks to dogfishandi for splitting this bottle.

A: Pours a wonderful translucent gold. There is about a half finger of white head that settles quickly into a bunch of large bubbles that line the edges of the glass. There isn't much lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is definitely hoppy, but I'm getting a lot of onion and vegetable. In fact, those two smells are dominating. I'm already getting a bit disappointed with this beer.

T: The flavors in this beer are a bit off putting. I'm getting onion, boiled cabbage, carrot, a touch of pine in the finish. I really want to like this beer, but I just can't.

M: Medium bodied beer. The onion and vegetable notes linger on the palate for awhile, but I'd prefer that they wouldn't.

O: I'm sincerely shocked by this beer. I was expecting hop bomb deliciousness, and I was supremely let down. This beer is onion and boiled cabbage, and it's almost undrinkable. Duet is one of the best IPAs I've ever had, but this beer falls way short of that standard. (1,004 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13%

A HUGE thanks to srandycarter for sending a growler of this gem my way. I rewarded him well for this one, but it was worth EVERY dollar.

A: Pours a nice bright clear golden hue with a big tall rocky head. Tons of carbonation and sheet after sheet of lace holds on for dear life. Beautiful!

S: Nice bold aromas. Tons of sweetness pours from the glass. Georgia peaches clash with dried apricots. Hint of grapefuit is overcome by orange. Touches of grass, mango, and caramel malt round things out. Awesome!

T: Wow... I am in Love. This beer stands alone in greatness. I love my Pliny, I love my Peche, but this one is just as great and unique. What Pliny is to bitter, this is to sweet. The Yang to Pliny's Ying. Tons of fresh apricot and peach nectar blast your senses from the start. Hints of citrus come thru along with some caramel, and a big dose of oak. Sweet melon comes thru in the finish. If any beer deserves a 5 in taste this is it!.

M: Full bodied and creamy. Sexy as Hell!!!

D: I will now hanker for it. This is the beer I will dream of when I go to sleep.

Thanks Randy, This beer fucking ROCKS!!! My new #1 brew. If I were on death row, I would beg the warden for this one. (1,190 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Fresh bomber from a generous trader. Pours a slightly hazy light bronze with a small white head. Bubbles flying up from the bottom. A big floral bouquet with tangerines, grapefruits, orange peel, toffee, biscuit, some alcohol, and a slight hint of oak. Bitter slam up front with a combination of grapefruit juice, orange zest, a hint of caramelly malts, oak, and more big bitter on the dry finish. Medium mouthfeel, high carbonation. You can't tell there is alcohol warmth here but it is very light on the palate for such a big hitter. The oak is a nice touch here and does not overpower. Perhaps the driest and most bitter IPA I have tried, up there with Heady and Crooked Tree. Really good beer and very glad I got the chance to try it. (738 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap @ the San Diego Strong Ale Fest.

Poured a medium golden color with a small white head. Aromas and tastes of pines and citrus mixed in. Some malts to balance it out. Sweet with a nice bitter balance. Alcohol content well hidden. I really need to get this one again. (273 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

650ml bottle. Served in a teku glass 3/9/2015.

A- Hazy copper body, two finger white head (in the teku) with nice lacing, medium collar that sticks around for a while. Swirling the glass brings the head back quite easily as well.

S- Actually don't smell much. I expected much more from a hoppy triple IPA, however it smelled very dull and boring next to a glass of Alpine Nelson. As it warms up, I get more of a sugary caramel sweetness, with a bit of grapefruit juice, passion fruit and bitter pine. But for the most part, a pretty average nose especially for a triple IPA.

F- Very sweet, sugary and caramel forward, with a bit of tropical fruit, passion fruit, citrus and pineapple kicking in. It actually tastes pretty good, but for all of the hoopla behind this beer, it was fairly disappointing. Again, the bottle of Nelson I opened up with this far outstripped the drinking experience on this beer.

M- Thick-medium body, not quite syrupy, but just about right for a triple IPA. Slick, resinous, easy to drink, not boozy at all. Probably the best characteristic behind this beer.

O- Solid triple IPA, but this comes nowhere close to Hill Farmstead Ephraim, which I consider the benchmark for triple IPAs (not having had Pliny the Younger). Sweet and tasty, but not particularly complex or as interesting as the aforementioned beers. (1,342 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a snifter. Exceedingly large thanks to nyrangersfan for this one.

3.5 A: Hazy dark yellow color. One and a half fingers of 1/2 frothy, 1/2 creamy head. Average retention and a decent amount of lacing.

4.0 S: Hops aren't as strong as I was expecting, but there certainly is more malt. Piney hops foremost with pineapple and grapefruit. There is an underlying oakiness, but nothing to write home about. A little boozy with strong barleywine-esque malts.

4.0 T: A mix of lots of malts and lots of hops. Barleywine style DIPA for sure. Hops are more fruity than they are piney with pineapple and grapefruit stealing the show again. Bitterness (which doesn't seem harsh anyway) is very much softened by the residual malt sweetness. Malts are strong in a neutral way, somewhere between bready and grainy. The pitfall of this brew is that the booziness is a bit too strong. Hopslam, for example, is just as high in ABV, but the alcohol is much better hidden.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body or perhaps even lighter heavy. Good carbonation and reasonably creamy. Lingering hop bitterness and booze on finish.

3.5 D: Pretty good brew. I like maltier DIPAs, but the alcohol is a bit too strong in this one. Still, I was glad to get ahold of this and would buy it occasionally if it were available. (1,301 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Lighter yellow gold in color with a slight haze. Pours with a big, thick 1/2" of off-white head that reduces down to about a 1/4" of thick rocky cream. Decent retention. Very light lacing. This is one pretty looking beer.

S: Very aromatic. The aroma on this one hit me just on popping the bottle. Aroma is predominantly floral with some citrus and orange.

T: Surprisingly mild. Sweet orange maltiness with a bit of tropical fruit: mango and pineapple. A little onion to round things out. Moderate bitterness. Finishes with just a faint alcoholic heat.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Much lighter than expected for something labeled as a "Triple IPA." Smooth. Just a bit of alcohol comes through.

D: Very good. As the bottle says, this beer is deceivingly mild. At 11%, I have no idea where they're hiding the alcohol, because it is only faintly perceptible. Lighter bodied, smooth, and hoppy. (920 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Enjoyed on 3/16. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden amber with almost no head and limited lacing. The lacing that is there manages to be very sticky and it's propelled by a decent bit of carbonation.

Aroma is orangey with a distinct hop burn. It's an acidic, bitter scent that blends well with the fruitiness, sort of resembling the tartness of a grapefruit.

Taste has a big fruityness with a buttery, caramel wave in the conclusion. Bite in the finale is strong and dry, reminding me of the bitterness in licorice strings. The sugary sweet notes play well with a punishing bite, making for a tasty and complicated DIPA.

It's surprisingly smooth for all the big hop character and the dry bite doesn't stop the refreshing flow. The malt and hops resonate on the tongue, making the relatively salty conclusion mellow in comparison.

Overall, this is a tasty and drinkable strong IPA that by no means reflects its massive 10% ABV. Worth seeking out for those outside of the California area (like me). (1,003 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

I got this brew from Smokepot23 for winning SNF Squares Week 11, Thanks Joe!

22oz bottle served in a snifter.

Hazed copper color with a white head that settled to a ring and left a few streaks of lacing.
The aroma is a blend of piney hop resin, some citrus hop, sweet malt and a touch of alcohol.
Oh my, the taste is quite a blend, piney almost tea-like hops upfront balanced out by the malt and then a burst of citrus hop bitterness takes you to a dry finish.
Medium bodied and very crisp for a DIPA.
Goes down a little too easy considering the abv. (552 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Big thanks to JessetheHut for the bottle.

Exponential Hoppiness pours a caramel brown color. It's a little hazy. Backlighting gives it some orange highlights. A thin white head covers the surface. It doesn't quite rise to a finger in depth. It falls quickly to the surface and holds there for a bit. Lacing was moderate and sticky. Not bad at all.

The nose is good, but doesn't blow me away. It does have a nice citric hop presence. Grapefruit, pineapple, and orange scents are fairly strong throughout. Caramel malts have almost an equally strong presence. They give it a very sweet smell. Kind of sugary in its own right. Alcohol is noted, but doesn't come through all that strong. It's blended pretty well for a 11% beer. It's a nice smelling beer. No question about that. It's not exactly jaw dropping though.

I'm waffling a little on the flavor. It's good. Very good. I really like the hop profile, whatever it is. It's full of citrus grapefruit, orange, and pineapple flavors. There's also a piney flavor that really complements the citrus flavors nicely. I love the hop flavor. There's even a floral aspect to them that I didn't pick up on the nose. I don't like the fact that it's not as bitter as it could be. That aspect seems to have been swallowed up by sweet caramel malt. Don't get me wrong, it has a bitter bite to it. But, I was expecting more. It doesn't ruin it by any means, but it takes away its edge to a degree. It's skewed in the hop direction, but not by a great deal. It has more balance than you might expect. Alcohol is blended pretty well. It is noted, but isn't warming or hot. It finishes sweet, citrusy, and a little dry.

It has a medium body that's nice and smooth. It initially felt too light but has grown more substantial with a few more degrees. It feels creamy and svelte. Very impressive. Drinkability is actually very high. I do like the flavor here quite a bit. It also goes down way too easy for such a big beer. It feels more like a 7-8% beer rather than 11%.

Exponential Hoppiness is good beer. I'm still wrestling with the "Triple IPA" concept and how much I like it. I'm not a big fan of caramel malt heavy DIPAs and that's even more of an issue with Triple IPAs (whatever that is). To be fair, this is good beer and I've enjoyed my share of the bottle. However, I think it pales in comparison to Pure Hoppiness. This one's good and is definitely recommended. But, if you're forced with a choice, go with Pure Hoppiness. (2,473 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Golden in color with a thin white head.

S: Oh, sweet God. Absolutely out of this world. The first IPA I ever had from Alpine was O'Brien's IPA and I was blown away by how great it smelled. Until this one, none of their other beers had topped that one. This one is a hophead's wet dream. Huge pine hops and some good tropical sweetness.

T: I think I just jizzed my pants. I got to try this and Pliny the Younger on the same day. Needless to say- best day ever. Huge, huge, huge pine hop flavor with some subtle sweetness. A gorgeous beer. (542 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured via growler into shaker pint on 4/18/09. Thanks to Deuane for sharing this at a recent tasting.

A - Poured a clear amber body with sparse amount of slow-rising carbonation and solid two-finger frothy, milky white head that retained quite well and deposited thick lacing around the glass.

S - Super fresh hop nose with oak and woody notes and hints of sweet leafy tobacco... not to mention copious amounts of citrus hops as well as some piney accents. Some spiciness and alcohol notes also emerge as it warmed up. Wow! This is one dank, pungent DIPA nose.

T - Lots of citrus flavor up front with a backing of sweet caramel and bready malt. Piney accents also emerge with an apparent oak dryness and some spicy notes. A citrus rind character appears in the backend with a dry, pithy aspect.

M - Medium to full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and sticky texture. The softly carbonated body results in a very smooth mouthfeel overall. Finish is pretty dry with a lingering hop bitterness on the palate.

D - Fresh and flavorful with an oak presence that is not over-the-top at all and provides a nice dryness to complement the aggressive hoppy character of this DIPA. Very unique and tasty to say the least. Glad I had the opportunity to try this draft-only release from Alpine. (1,286 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%

Another big THANK YOU to millerbuffoon for acquiring this through a trade.

A - Pours a bright copper gold color with a cream colored cotton candy lacing that sticks to the sides of the glass like total glue, and a generous amount of carbonation.

S - VERY pungent pineapple, oranges, mangos, grapefruit, spicy, resinous, oily, and mildly piney.

T - This is the BEST part of this beer. It's a huge, no, colossal basket of tropical fruity goodness that's incredibly resinous, spicy, piney, and a little vinous. It's also slightly boozy with a crackery malt underneath that's big, bold, spicy, slightly garlic, and a little bit oaky.

M - Medium body with resiny hops that leave a coating in the mouth that
's very indicative of fruit rinds.

O - a "FANTABULOUS" beer! If you can get it, you absolutely have to try this one. (823 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks go to HopHead84 for providing me with a fairly fresh, bottled 12/09, of this delicious brew.

A-Bright, light copper with a medium light tan/off white, head, that retains well, and leaves behind a nice amount of thick, rope like lace.

S-Resinous pine, floral-kick and orange rind citrus notes up front. Sweet caramel and drying oak notes in the background to balance things out.

T-Juicy hop goodness up front with notes of orange citrus and pine coming through. Sweet caramel, and oak dryness gives it an extremely smooth, yet drying finish. Just a touch of alcohol solvency in the background.

M-Medium to medium-heavy bodied with a nice smoothness and a building dry finish.

D-Well, I love hopped to high heaven beers that are crafted properly and I love the influence of oak in brews, when done right...and this beer nails BOTH of them! Another impressive and well done brew by the folks at Alpine. (911 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Huge thanks to Scott (hooliganlife) for a taste out of his growler!

Pour burnt orange with some remaining carbonation since this growler was cracked a couple of days ago. The noise on the about knocks me over! Huge pine/citrus notes just oozing out! Taste is lots of citrus and pine...gotta love all that hoppy goodness! Mouthfeel is great, smooth, medium body, and enough hops to blow your tastebuds out of the water! A couple of these a session would be enough for me. Pliny the Elder is a better overall DIPA, but this is a great one as well! (547 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle version finally released!

A - Light clear honey, small head leaves fast. Some cling lace remains.

S - HOPS HOPS HOPS. Some woody smell and small malt note and fruit mixed in.

T - Clubbed by hops. Pine and fruit, but mostly pine. Bitter end. Malt almost not enough to cover the bitter. Precarious balance.

M - Medium body, very coating, balance barely in check.

D - You have to be kidding. This will kick your butt pretty darned soon, and the taste will tire you out fast, as delicious as it is. (506 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler

Woodshop Classix
Anaheim, CA

Thanks Steven and Crystal for sharing this!

Golden amber and orange. Persistent, thick white head, and regular lacing down the glass. What more can you ask for?

Gobsmacked by this beer's aroma! I'd heard so much about this beer, but had never yet experienced it for myself, and if nothing else, the aroma is all they said and more! Pine and citrus explosion, without being too sweet or sappy.

Surprisingly balanced DIPA, especially after all I'd heard about it. Piney and floral flavors with a substantial bitterness, and enough bready, crystal, and caramel malts to balance things out nicely. Far more drinkable than I ever would have imagined.

Medium bodied, yet crisp and incredibly drinkable. No hint of alcohol. No DIPA since Pliny the Younger has hidden its alcohol this well.

So glad I got to try this, and it did not disappoint! (880 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I'd like to extend a big thank you to 0110x011 who hooked me up with a growler of this most sought after nectar!

Appearance: Transparent copper body with a nice 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell: Very Pliny like in the sense that this brew has lots of pineapple and grapefruit notes but not as much pine sap, lots more malt presence, and lots more floral hop smell.

Taste: An initial hop bitterness that opens up to a nice pale malt that blends flawlessly with some great oak notes from the oak chips used in the recipe. The next wave is all citrus hops and once the fruit flavor subsides a strong hop bitterness finishes this one off. Tip of the cap to Alpine for packing this much hop bitterness into a brew and keeping it from tasting astringent. The bitterness is well crafted and really enjoyable. Alpine does add a heavy dose of sugar sweetness to the brew to counterbalance the extreme bitterness and mask the high abv. The sugar sneaks up on you faster than the abv IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch chewy. Decent amount of carbonation (even after the 2 weeks it has been since it was poured) and smooth!

Drinkability: The 10.50% abv and the sugar are the only things holding me back from giving this excellent brew a higher drinkability rating.

Home Run Alpine! (1,332 characters)

Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company