Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Duet - Alpine Beer Company

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

A West Coast IPA that features Amarillo and Simcoe hops "in harmony," giving a light, floral aroma. Duet is nicely bitter with the perfect amount of malt concealed behind the hoppy goodness. Immensely drinkable, amazingly light on its feet.
Reviews: 592 | Hads: 3,082
1.99/5  rDev -54.1%

A-hazy yellow with white lacing around edges
S-smells a lot like butter. Like the kind you woukd put on popcorn. Good on popcorn. Bad with beer
T-Hard to really describe. Very buttery. Hops appear for a second but are gone even faster.
M-moderate body with slight carbonation. Goes down smooth
D-like putting your nose at a movie theatre snack stank and drinking a beer. Novelty for the nose, not for the mouth.

What the hell happened to this bottle? Someone please send me another!

2.91/5  rDev -32.9%

A- Pours a sunset orange hue with a thick, frothy 2 finger head. A perfect example of the style.

S- Smells grapefruity, citrus, earthy notes with buttery diacteyl undertones.

T- Very buttery, possibly infected. Citrus and light fruits break through but can't make up for the butter.

M- Medium carbonation, medium viscosity.

D- It was a great beer to look at but the buttery notes ruined it. I'd be willing to rerate to see if it was a bad bottle.

3.21/5  rDev -26%

I was looking forward to having this beer as well as other Alpine Beers on tap while visiting California. Had this beer in Los Angeles and was surprised how much it dissapointed me in the aroma and taste department. The floral and grassy notes were too flowery in a Sauvingon Blanc kind of way and irritatingly grassy. The taste was more astringent than bitter to my palette. I thought that maybe it was a bad keg or wasn't fresh so I had it again at Toronado and it was exactly the same. I guess I'm missing something about this IPA because I'm one of the few that doesn't particularly like it.

3.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Bottle courtesy of DearthVader, straight from the West Coast, thanks for the chance to try this, Brian!

A: Crystal clear, golden sunny yellow body with a rather creamy white head. Nice retention cap throughout and some splotchy lacing is left behind.

S: Unfortunately this nose to me is terribly weak and lacking in both complexity and showcasing... of anything! Watery grains laid a sub-par base for this beer, backed only by very faint citrus hop notes. As it warmed, some pine and more earthy hops come forward but overall, a poor show of flavors.

T: Rice water, sweet corn-esque malt base, resiny and sticky hops coat the palate (the one saving grace of the taste). To me, this flavor profile seems to stray very very far from that "West Coast" IPA profile - this is more earthy and sappy. It's odd - something has to be off. This can't be how this beer should be, can it?

M: Extremely thin, almost watery though nice carbonation.

It was great to finally try something from Alpine, but I'm not sure what was going on here. Maybe I need to revisit another bottle at another time, but right now - this seemed to be very weak, (almost) flavorless and off.

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: pours a yellow color, with a 1 finger white head. Sub-par head retention, moderate lacing.

S: Lots of pine. Actually, it's a very intense and one-dimensional pine experience without much else in the smell.

T: Just as with the smell, a ton of pine and not much else.

M: Too thin for my liking. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Overall just your run of the mill IPA, nothing about it made me think "wow this is special, unique, or great" Not that it's terrible, but Duet is by far my least favorite of the Alpine IPAs at our tasting. I really don't think this deserves to be anywhere close to the top 100.

3.32/5  rDev -23.5%

Purchased at south bay drugs.

A - Poured copper with a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated fast and left no lacing.

S - Roasted honey, nectar esters, citrus, and light bittering hops.

T - Roasted honey, nectar esters and bittering hops. Where did the citrus go? The roasted honey could have been tannic.

M - Moderate bodied and well-balanced. Finishes rather dry for a standard IPA.

D - Not bad. A good quaff, definitely not top 100. The tannic flavor killed the citrusy hops.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Big thanks to jyoungsbcp for trading me this bomber!

It only just arrived yesterday so when I go to open it, there's a bit of gushing. Pours a hazy pale copper color with thick rocky head. It sticks around a long time leaving chunky lace on the glass.

Aroma is pleasant with candied citrus fruits and grapefruit.

Flavor initially tastes a bit off. Grapefuit competing with oxidation? Going back to the smell, I can detect it in the nose too. A sharp astringent flavor and wet cardboard flavor make this totally disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium in body with appropriate body but the off flavors ruin it. Drinkability is pretty pour as a result.

This is a shame. I can only hope that the Nelson and Sculpin will make up for it.

...an hour later... not as bad as it was at first. I'm not sure if it's mellowing out or I'm just getting used to it. Unfortunately, it's probably a bad bottle. If I get the chance, I'd like to try it again.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Look: golden yellow with no and head in sight

Smell: The beer has a funky hop scent to it reminds of me dandelions and citrus fruits. Not a big fan

Taste: I am not a fan of the way the two hops meld together in this beer, it almost seems like they are working against each other. The great balance between the hops and malt make this beer drinkable but I am not a big fan of the flavor. Also has hints of orange zest lemon and caramel

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation levels and goes down crisp and clean

Overall: I dont want to beat a dead horse here but like I said earlier I am not a fan of this here IPA. I did not care at all for the flavor profile or the smell of the beer the two things I am most interested in when drink a beer.

3.41/5  rDev -21.4%

Part of a blind tasting that included Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Nelson was my least favorite and Pure Hoppiness was my favorite - an incredible beer.

A - Duet has a bright yellow color with a tiny bit of haziness. As a fellow BA pointed out, this beer looks like a glass of pee. Poor head retention with somewhat decent lacing.

S - Pleasant smell - lemon soapiness, and piney hops.

T - Piney hops is about all I get here. A little bit of citrus hops and a little bit of malt, but not enough balance in my opinion.

M - Just so-so. Pretty thin.

D - The thinness of this beer makes it quite drinkable. The only limitation to the drinkability is the painful intensity of the pine hops that overwhelm any other flavors in the beer.

3.44/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on-tap at Alpine Beer Company in Alpine, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin white head. Low retention rate and no lacing. Pale golden color with high clarity.

S- Heavy citrusy hops. Grapefruit, pine and other light smells. Several kinds of hops detected.

T- Hop-forward, bitter and citrusy. West coast IPA for sure.

M- Thicker feel for an IPA, smooth.

O- I found it to be a slightly above average West Coast IPA.

3.47/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 45F.

Pours clear amber with a one-finger white head that leaves some spots of lacing and recedes to a wispy foamy cap.

Aroma is some pine, citrus rind, grapefruit/orange, some pineapple, a bit of tropical fruit, decent amount of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is resinous hops, some citrus, good pine, a bit of tropical fruit, sizeable caramel malt backbone in the middle, mild sweetness, mild to moderate bitterness, some alcohol at the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus bodied, very oily, somewhat sticky, mild to moderate carbonation.

I dunno if this is a little old or what, but kind of let down on this one. For as much praise as Duet receives, I’ve just got a little above-average IPA here.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a crystal orange amber with a large, pillowy and firm pure white head.

Nose is all perfumed fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is crisp and medium to full bodied, although the carbonation is a bit to assertively "fizzy" for my liking and is quite off-putting for me.

Flavors are layered and complex. Lots of burnt toast and bitter coffee; big bitter pine and resin. Front palate is lots of oranges and citrus that goes to bitter pine and grapefruit oil.

Finish is long lasting bitter pine and lime.

Some will surely like this one for its nice flavor profiles. Unfortunately, this is one of the few brews I've tasted where the mouthfeel simply ruined it for me.

3.52/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alpine brews are new to my town, and I was anxious to try them. Of the three I tried at the release party, this was favorite. A quite nice IPA, and one I'll enjoy again.

3.55/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Version. From the Duets I've had in the past, the hop element did not shine through as much. Plenty of Amarillo (in the nose), light pine (in the nose). Taste, faint pine, almost muted, but heavily bitter. I was a bit taken back by the bitterness on this one. I love bitter, but balanced, I didn't find the balance in this one.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to walows for the extra! Poured from bomber (no date stamp) into a dimpled mug. Pours a bright orange color along with a nice creamy head that quickly dissipates, good lacing that lasts throughout the session. Moderate malt and hop aromas of light bread and caramel, flowers, spruce, grapefruit, orange, light yeast, and perhaps a background note of sour milk on the last pour. Flavor starts lightly sweet and moderately acidic, then finishes lightly acidic and lightly to moderately bitter. Palate is medium, oily with a lively carbonation and lightly astringent and dry finish. The combination of the two hops (Simcoe and Amarillo) bring out some excellent aromas that give Duet a great name! This went very well with my sausage and mushroom pizza.

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

On tap at Petrol in Houston, served in a standard 16 oz. pint glass. I was really excited to finally try an Alpine offering but was let down. The IPA seemed pretty standard to me and did not pack the hop punch that I would have expected from such hype. Will try again when available to confirm my thoughts.

3.64/5  rDev -16.1%

I love some of Alpine's ales more than life itself, but I was disappointed in this one. It has a nice floral bouquet, but it lacked body and sufficient flavor to really wow me. Very little complexity. Maybe I was hoping for too much since the pub I was in had just run out of pure hoppiness and the barmaid said this would be a reasonable substitute. There really are very few substitutes for pure hoppiness.

3.64/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours two fingers of head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is dank grapefruit.
The taste has a building citrus bitterness that finished with a solid pine bitter bite.
The texture is crisp.
Pretty good.

3.67/5  rDev -15.4%

With a solid pour you get about a finger of just off white foam, majority medium to larger bubbles with below average retention, runs down to the surface quickly, the lacing sticks in random splotches more than streaks. The liquid has a zinc orange metallic look to it, much closer to yellow than any red, no cloudiness, a few trace bubbles here or there, consistent down to the glass bottom. Hop-driven nose of pretzel dough, salt, pine cone, herbaceous matter and earth, gets right up in there and starts scrubbing, plenty of brawn in the grapefruit to blood orange scents too, not a lot of fruit, mixed white pit fruit, thin dusting of cocoa powder accounts for the presence of malts. Close to full-bodied with a noticeably firm mouth feel, the carbonation has the grit of semi-fine sandpaper, persistent from mouth entry through finish. The tangy white grapefruit, orange, lemon citrus zings your tongue alongside the pine, iron flecks, pepper and salt bits. Were the total experience more “wet” the peach, nectarine, apple fruit might appear more tropical. Cocoa, mocha accents dry themselves, offers some yeast to multigrain bread dough. About as “chewy” as a regular IPA can get, not really an easy sipper but deserves attention for achieving personality.

3.67/5  rDev -15.4%

on the visit to san diego, we drove out to alpine to sample the wares. except my partner in crime passed himself out in the back of the van. left alone to trudge on, i put forth my best effort. a light orangey hue, spewing forth grapefruit and mango goodness with a slight bit of malt. a nice bitter, touch of sweetness and plenty of citrus fruit. pretty tasty, nothing to go too wild over, but enjoyable nonetheless. perhaps the sours from earlier in the day were still vengeful, but i would think my excitement from the 45 minute drive would overcompensate for any of that. at any rate, i shall try a bottle in the future or perhaps find it at sd beer week if everything goes right.

22oz bottle poured into cervoise

Pours a nice deeper yellow with white head. Smell of citric fruits (grapefruit, orange, lemon zest). There is a bit of spiciness but I can't put my finger on it. Taste about the same, with the fruitiness on the forefront, grapefruit, tangerine, orange. There is some bready maltiness to it but it is weak. The mouthfeel is thin and slightly over carbonated. I think the thinness of the mouth detracted from the overall complexity of the beer. Easy enough to drink, just a touch uninteresting.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber from Perry's in Livermore, CA. I pour into a large snifter to review.

Yields about an inch tall head after I started pouring more aggressively towards the end. Head is rather dense, consistent of smaller bubbles, and white in color. Transparent and a sexy light glowing orange in color. Great lacing and a nice layer of retention remains atop the beer stretching the majority of the snifter inner rim.

Aroma is very fresh, slightly creamy and quite hop forward. Grapefruit, citrus, pine and floral, the hops are quite 'harmonized.'

Taste is very hop forward and rather bitter. I am surprised the pine resin does not show face more with the addition of simcoe hops used only in conjunction with Amarillo. Very hoppy which I like, but a seemingly one dimensional hop bouquet.

Medium bodied and light to medium carbonation levels. Finish is not as long as I would have expected with these bittering hops. Hints of oil from the hops.

Based on the recent recommendations I have heard on this brewery and them making a better IPA than Russian River, I was disapointed. I still seek something that can live up to PtE; I will have to try some of their other offerings. In its own right, it is good, but not in my top in class list.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%

Shared a bomber with 2fastcars the other night. This bottle has been waiting to be consumed for the last 6 months or so. I think it started to fade a bit...

A- Golden straw color. Pure white head that foams like crazy. Extensive lacing all over the glass.

S- Smells of Simcoe hops, and sweet malt. I also get some lemony/citrus smells.

T- Nice light IPA, with some hints of lemon and spice. The hops had faded quite a bit, but are still very well balanced.

M- A litle light even for the style. I expected this to be a bit bigger, especially compared to the other Alpine beers I've had.

Might try to keep and eye out for a fresher bottle of this, but not my favorite Alpine beer

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%

Huge hop aroma, powerful bitterness.

I was just tasting the Kern River "Just Outstanding IPA" which features the same hops-- Simcoe and Amarillo. This one has a gigantic aroma to catch your attention, but the same trail off into the bitter abyss. Of the two, I prefer the Alpine Duet for its fruitier character, but both are strictly for the IPA fiend.

An education in these hop varieties. Drinkable with steak and potatoes, but a tough quaff by itself.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bottle received in a recent trade, courtesy of WeeObese.

Pours a clear pale golden yellow color with lots of visible carbonation bubbling up and a frothy 1.5 finger white head that as decent retention, slowly fading into a thin lasting cap.

Sweet citrus hop aroma that is slightly earthy with a faint grahamcrakery malt presence. Hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango and pineapple accompany the dank oily resinous hop presence. Slightly piny giving it a touch of earthiness and a subtle malt backbone with hints of biscuit and graham cracker. There's also a sweet alcohol presence in the nose.

Slightly chewy, resinous medium body with a lot of dry earthy hop bitterness up front along with some tropical and citrus fruit flavor all slightly balanced by a subtle malt backbone.
Very earthy up front with a lot of dry pine bitterness which lingers throughout into a very dry finish. The citrus character from the aroma is there but very less prominent than I expected or hoped for. Hints of lemon peel and grapefruit along with some pineapple notes. Subtle malt backbone with hints of graham cracker and biscuit. There's also some strong sweet alcohol evident mid palate and the high ABv is not very well masked. Overall this beer is a bit to dry and bitter for my liking with too strong of an alcohol presence and not enough balance. The balance that I speak of is not a lack of malt, just a lack of the flavors blending with each other. Not nearly enough citrus, sweet flavor for my taste. Decent but a bit overhyped.

Duet from Alpine Beer Company