Duet - Alpine Beer Company

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

A West Coast IPA that features Amarillo and Simcoe hops "in harmony," giving a light, floral aroma. Duet is nicely bitter with the perfect amount of malt concealed behind the hoppy goodness. Immensely drinkable, amazingly light on its feet.
Reviews: 678 | Hads: 3,410
1.99/5  rDev -53.9%

A-hazy yellow with white lacing around edges
S-smells a lot like butter. Like the kind you woukd put on popcorn. Good on popcorn. Bad with beer
T-Hard to really describe. Very buttery. Hops appear for a second but are gone even faster.
M-moderate body with slight carbonation. Goes down smooth
D-like putting your nose at a movie theatre snack stank and drinking a beer. Novelty for the nose, not for the mouth.

What the hell happened to this bottle? Someone please send me another!

2.91/5  rDev -32.6%

A- Pours a sunset orange hue with a thick, frothy 2 finger head. A perfect example of the style.

S- Smells grapefruity, citrus, earthy notes with buttery diacteyl undertones.

T- Very buttery, possibly infected. Citrus and light fruits break through but can't make up for the butter.

M- Medium carbonation, medium viscosity.

D- It was a great beer to look at but the buttery notes ruined it. I'd be willing to rerate to see if it was a bad bottle.

3.21/5  rDev -25.7%

I was looking forward to having this beer as well as other Alpine Beers on tap while visiting California. Had this beer in Los Angeles and was surprised how much it dissapointed me in the aroma and taste department. The floral and grassy notes were too flowery in a Sauvingon Blanc kind of way and irritatingly grassy. The taste was more astringent than bitter to my palette. I thought that maybe it was a bad keg or wasn't fresh so I had it again at Toronado and it was exactly the same. I guess I'm missing something about this IPA because I'm one of the few that doesn't particularly like it.

3.26/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottle courtesy of DearthVader, straight from the West Coast, thanks for the chance to try this, Brian!

A: Crystal clear, golden sunny yellow body with a rather creamy white head. Nice retention cap throughout and some splotchy lacing is left behind.

S: Unfortunately this nose to me is terribly weak and lacking in both complexity and showcasing... of anything! Watery grains laid a sub-par base for this beer, backed only by very faint citrus hop notes. As it warmed, some pine and more earthy hops come forward but overall, a poor show of flavors.

T: Rice water, sweet corn-esque malt base, resiny and sticky hops coat the palate (the one saving grace of the taste). To me, this flavor profile seems to stray very very far from that "West Coast" IPA profile - this is more earthy and sappy. It's odd - something has to be off. This can't be how this beer should be, can it?

M: Extremely thin, almost watery though nice carbonation.

It was great to finally try something from Alpine, but I'm not sure what was going on here. Maybe I need to revisit another bottle at another time, but right now - this seemed to be very weak, (almost) flavorless and off.

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: pours a yellow color, with a 1 finger white head. Sub-par head retention, moderate lacing.

S: Lots of pine. Actually, it's a very intense and one-dimensional pine experience without much else in the smell.

T: Just as with the smell, a ton of pine and not much else.

M: Too thin for my liking. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Overall just your run of the mill IPA, nothing about it made me think "wow this is special, unique, or great" Not that it's terrible, but Duet is by far my least favorite of the Alpine IPAs at our tasting. I really don't think this deserves to be anywhere close to the top 100.

3.31/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look - To be honest, I'm not sure looks can be rated really. Seriously, unless its a stout that looks like an IPA or a session beer that's as dark as a Porter...who am I or anyone for that matter to say what any beer should look like as long as its in the ball park of what it says it is. After all, there are black IPA's. However, I give this beer a 3 because for one, I poured the entire beer pretty aggressively before I saw any head and when head finally appeared, it was about maybe a nickel thick which faded as quick as it appeared (within about 5 seconds).
Smell - You can imagine most of the aroma comes from the head and since there wasn't much of one, there wasn't much of a smell.
Taste - Got to admit, for a beer with not much of a smell and no head, it definitely taste like it has potential. I get a lot of orange and orange peel citrus flavors, not so much grapefruit like some are saying. I think a lot of people are confusing grapefruit notes with the citrus from orange peels, limes (maybe) and the bitterness from hopes (definitely not getting much grape fruit though). Of course this could be due to flatness and the loss of carbonation due too poor bottling which I believe is the case with my beer since some are saying they had 1-2 inches of head. This would explain the lack of smell and head. Again the beer has a good flavor.
Feel - Flat and low in carbonation (enough said). Would like to get a hold of one that's bottle better.
Overall - I didn't rate this one as low as I should have simply because I can tell it has potential and don't too much judge a beer based on bottling issues. So I'm open for a 2nd attempt and will update my rating if I have a better experience.

3.32/5  rDev -23.1%

Purchased at south bay drugs.

A - Poured copper with a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated fast and left no lacing.

S - Roasted honey, nectar esters, citrus, and light bittering hops.

T - Roasted honey, nectar esters and bittering hops. Where did the citrus go? The roasted honey could have been tannic.

M - Moderate bodied and well-balanced. Finishes rather dry for a standard IPA.

D - Not bad. A good quaff, definitely not top 100. The tannic flavor killed the citrusy hops.

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

Big thanks to jyoungsbcp for trading me this bomber!

It only just arrived yesterday so when I go to open it, there's a bit of gushing. Pours a hazy pale copper color with thick rocky head. It sticks around a long time leaving chunky lace on the glass.

Aroma is pleasant with candied citrus fruits and grapefruit.

Flavor initially tastes a bit off. Grapefuit competing with oxidation? Going back to the smell, I can detect it in the nose too. A sharp astringent flavor and wet cardboard flavor make this totally disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium in body with appropriate body but the off flavors ruin it. Drinkability is pretty pour as a result.

This is a shame. I can only hope that the Nelson and Sculpin will make up for it.

...an hour later... not as bad as it was at first. I'm not sure if it's mellowing out or I'm just getting used to it. Unfortunately, it's probably a bad bottle. If I get the chance, I'd like to try it again.

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

Look: golden yellow with no and head in sight

Smell: The beer has a funky hop scent to it reminds of me dandelions and citrus fruits. Not a big fan

Taste: I am not a fan of the way the two hops meld together in this beer, it almost seems like they are working against each other. The great balance between the hops and malt make this beer drinkable but I am not a big fan of the flavor. Also has hints of orange zest lemon and caramel

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation levels and goes down crisp and clean

Overall: I dont want to beat a dead horse here but like I said earlier I am not a fan of this here IPA. I did not care at all for the flavor profile or the smell of the beer the two things I am most interested in when drink a beer.

3.41/5  rDev -21.1%

Part of a blind tasting that included Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hoppiness. Nelson was my least favorite and Pure Hoppiness was my favorite - an incredible beer.

A - Duet has a bright yellow color with a tiny bit of haziness. As a fellow BA pointed out, this beer looks like a glass of pee. Poor head retention with somewhat decent lacing.

S - Pleasant smell - lemon soapiness, and piney hops.

T - Piney hops is about all I get here. A little bit of citrus hops and a little bit of malt, but not enough balance in my opinion.

M - Just so-so. Pretty thin.

D - The thinness of this beer makes it quite drinkable. The only limitation to the drinkability is the painful intensity of the pine hops that overwhelm any other flavors in the beer.

3.44/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on-tap at Alpine Beer Company in Alpine, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin white head. Low retention rate and no lacing. Pale golden color with high clarity.

S- Heavy citrusy hops. Grapefruit, pine and other light smells. Several kinds of hops detected.

T- Hop-forward, bitter and citrusy. West coast IPA for sure.

M- Thicker feel for an IPA, smooth.

O- I found it to be a slightly above average West Coast IPA.

3.47/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 45F.

Pours clear amber with a one-finger white head that leaves some spots of lacing and recedes to a wispy foamy cap.

Aroma is some pine, citrus rind, grapefruit/orange, some pineapple, a bit of tropical fruit, decent amount of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is resinous hops, some citrus, good pine, a bit of tropical fruit, sizeable caramel malt backbone in the middle, mild sweetness, mild to moderate bitterness, some alcohol at the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus bodied, very oily, somewhat sticky, mild to moderate carbonation.

I dunno if this is a little old or what, but kind of let down on this one. For as much praise as Duet receives, I’ve just got a little above-average IPA here.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Pours a crystal orange amber with a large, pillowy and firm pure white head.

Nose is all perfumed fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is crisp and medium to full bodied, although the carbonation is a bit to assertively "fizzy" for my liking and is quite off-putting for me.

Flavors are layered and complex. Lots of burnt toast and bitter coffee; big bitter pine and resin. Front palate is lots of oranges and citrus that goes to bitter pine and grapefruit oil.

Finish is long lasting bitter pine and lime.

Some will surely like this one for its nice flavor profiles. Unfortunately, this is one of the few brews I've tasted where the mouthfeel simply ruined it for me.

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good try at IPA but after drinking stone enjoy by.... carton boat and other big beers, the hops here seem very muted and not as pronounced. I was expecting a bigger punch, and for 11.00 a bottle I was let down.

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alpine brews are new to my town, and I was anxious to try them. Of the three I tried at the release party, this was favorite. A quite nice IPA, and one I'll enjoy again.

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Version. From the Duets I've had in the past, the hop element did not shine through as much. Plenty of Amarillo (in the nose), light pine (in the nose). Taste, faint pine, almost muted, but heavily bitter. I was a bit taken back by the bitterness on this one. I love bitter, but balanced, I didn't find the balance in this one.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a medium frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is fruity piney hops with some resin and some caramel/crystal malt.

The flavor is sweet biscuity malt with resiny piney hops and some fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a nice IPA. I remember it being better on tap.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to walows for the extra! Poured from bomber (no date stamp) into a dimpled mug. Pours a bright orange color along with a nice creamy head that quickly dissipates, good lacing that lasts throughout the session. Moderate malt and hop aromas of light bread and caramel, flowers, spruce, grapefruit, orange, light yeast, and perhaps a background note of sour milk on the last pour. Flavor starts lightly sweet and moderately acidic, then finishes lightly acidic and lightly to moderately bitter. Palate is medium, oily with a lively carbonation and lightly astringent and dry finish. The combination of the two hops (Simcoe and Amarillo) bring out some excellent aromas that give Duet a great name! This went very well with my sausage and mushroom pizza.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Orangish copper pour with a lacy white head. Not that much in the aroma. A little bit of citrus. Lots of lime flavors, plain mouthfeel. A very alright IPA.

3.62/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought a bomber earlier this week that was enjoy by dated 4/something/16. It was a GF bottle, poured a fairly clear, dark yellow/light orange color with a huge foamy head. The smell of the hops was a thing of beauty from the bottle, yet the taste I found to be rather muted and unexciting comparatively. Mouthfeel was a bit thin. Not sure of the ins and outs of the GF/Alpine thing but everything I have had from either thus far have been very hit or miss. Not overly impressed.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

Wasn't really impressed with this. Hop aroma was weak, got some pine and grassy notes, no citrus or fruit though (it was a fresh keg), and the taste was very bitter. It wasn't overpoweringly bitter, but i was not as pleasant to drink as nelson. I guess i had high standards for this beer, it's still better than most IPA's out there though.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

On tap at Petrol in Houston, served in a standard 16 oz. pint glass. I was really excited to finally try an Alpine offering but was let down. The IPA seemed pretty standard to me and did not pack the hop punch that I would have expected from such hype. Will try again when available to confirm my thoughts.

3.64/5  rDev -15.7%

I love some of Alpine's ales more than life itself, but I was disappointed in this one. It has a nice floral bouquet, but it lacked body and sufficient flavor to really wow me. Very little complexity. Maybe I was hoping for too much since the pub I was in had just run out of pure hoppiness and the barmaid said this would be a reasonable substitute. There really are very few substitutes for pure hoppiness.

3.64/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours two fingers of head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is dank grapefruit.
The taste has a building citrus bitterness that finished with a solid pine bitter bite.
The texture is crisp.
Pretty good.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

L: a brownish orange with a decent amount of white head
S: pine, caramel, resin like hops. Some sweet fruits
T: extremely malty. None of the fruits smells come out in the taste. quite bitter
F: a bit thick, slightly carbonated. Leaves a bitter lingering taste in the mouth
O: not super impressed with this beer. Had heard real good things

Duet from Alpine Beer Company