2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Duet IPA - Alpine Beer Company

Duet IPADuet IPA

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

(Beer added by: SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,462 | Reviews: 472 | Show All Ratings:
nickd717

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this on tap, reviewing from notes from a couple weeks ago.

A - Clear golden-copper color with a substantial white head.

S - Aroma is lots of piney, citrusy hoppy goodness and a little sweet malt. Definitely a west coaster.

T - A touch of sweet bready malt, then loads of fresh piney and citrusy hops. Some pineapple and orange notes. Really tasty and hop-forward.

M - Medium-bodied with a crisp and refreshing palate.

D - Very high. Overall this is another awesome IPA from Alpine.

10-06-2009 20:25:40 | More by nickd717
Thorpe429

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Had this on tap at O'Brien's in San Diego in August 2009.

A: Golden copper with a nice white head.

S: Lots and lots of tropical and citrus hops going on with a little bit of pine.

T: Wow, much like the nose with plenty of hops in this thing. While I don't think that this is quite as good as O'Brien's IPA from Alpine, this simply solidifies the fact that Alpine is right up with Town Hall, Bell's, and Russian River as the best damn place to get an IPA from.

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D: Superb. I absolutely loved this one. Had at the same time as Nelson Rye and this one was definitely better. (Also had Exponential Hoppiness at O'Brien's that evening, and this one was definitely better in my book.)

09-24-2009 20:14:23 | More by Thorpe429
francisweizen

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Sunny Day
Liars club
drinking beer and eating shrubs

Lovely golden fluffy head
whitish top that smells like bread

super hoppy

09-21-2009 19:58:57 | More by francisweizen
nomomentwasted

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap at O'Briens, and I'll be going back for more of this one, for sure. Watch for this one to rise up the top 100 as it becomes more available.

Appearance: Amber color with whitish head and decent lacing, nothing too defining compared to other IPAs similar ABV and hoppiness. Just delicious looking, but then again IPAs in general really just get me excited for beer.

Smell: Wow, there are a lot of citrus notes here, with a touch of grassy, piny, floral notes in the background. I felt orange, mango, maybe even pineapple up front with a lot of enjoyable sweetness as well. Almost Sculpin-like in not being the traditional piny IPA style and not too malty either, but sweet, aromatic, citrusy hops.

Taste: Another winner. Citrus hops bust in, followed by the sweetness from the combined hoppiness and malt. The malt's presence is short-lived, however, much like other Alpine brews, yielding more to that scrumptious hop profile. Just yum. I want to brew an IPA like this to have year-round since they are just so aromatic and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Around average. Not too wet, but a little dank. Carbonated appropriately, but doesn't stand out too much on tap. I wish they bottled this.

Drinkability: Delicious. I will be back. And soon. I wish this was more widely available, but I will be having it again soon. Watch it rise up the board, it deserves it.

09-02-2009 02:32:44 | More by nomomentwasted
womencantsail

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Pizza Port

A: A very interesting yellow golden color with a white head.

S: Lots of sweet citrus, grapefruit, floral, and a bit of pine.

T: Very similar to the nose. Tons of citrus and floral hop flavors, and a good balance of maltiness. A pleasant bitterness on the finish.

M: A bit sticky and sweet, low carbonation, medium bodied.

D: Great balance of flavors and aromas. I would drink this one again if I got the chance.

08-24-2009 05:38:26 | More by womencantsail
GJ40

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled on tap at the Stone World Bistro in Escondido.

A - Golden with good clarity. A moderate white head that leaves behind plenty of thick foamy lacing.

S - Fantastic floral and fruity hop aromas.

T - Loads of floral and citrusy hop flavor with a mild malt contribution and a touch of bitterness. I wasn't a huge fan of the Pure Hoppiness or Exponential Hoppiness but I love this one.

M - Silky and smooth with a nice low carbonation of very fine bubbles.

D - Smooth, flavorful and quite memorable. This is an outstanding CA style IPA.

08-20-2009 13:52:30 | More by GJ40
Halcyondays

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

On-tap at Blue Palms,

A: Pours golden with a nice white head, some lace.

S: Fragant pine and cedar hops, tropical notes, robust.

T: Incredibly tasty and interesting, an amalgam of great hop character, from pine/wood to tropical fruit - pineapple and guava. More flavour than 90% of the DIPAs I've had, truly wonderous. I'm in Simcoe heaven rigt now.

M: Chewy and resiny with hops, but has a lightness and crispness about it on the palate which makes it very easy drinking.

D: One of the best IPAs I've ever had, a must try again if I ever see it on tap. This beer is beautiful, my new favourite IPA I think, just wish it was more available.

08-10-2009 20:36:56 | More by Halcyondays
paytoplay

4.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Solid beer. Nice the Alc is "only" 6.75%. Not as aromatic as I thought it might be. A bit more IIPA feel, big rich body. Pine hops, nice drinkability. Has more weight to it than other IPA's. Richness and a nice finish. Though the richness adds to heavyness which 1 pint of this was plenty. Nice and fresh at Toro SD today.

04-27-2009 22:59:26 | More by paytoplay
flexabull

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at O'Brien's in SD. Was pleasantly surprised to see this one on the beer list.

Pours a bright crystal clear gold color with a nice head.

Aromas are of hard candies, quite floral, with peaches and citrus notes.

Taste is of light cream and sweet candied malts. Hops are nice and very flavorful, but not overpowering the rest of the beer. Finish has a light pine, peach, and citrus hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy, full, and exceptionally smooth.

Drinkability is off the chats. What a great IPA, lots of great flavors, but not too heavy at all. I could knock down quite a few of these in one sitting...

04-23-2009 04:36:10 | More by flexabull
tpd975

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Another day another wonderful brew added to the taps at Downtown Johnny Brown's San Diego.

A: Pours a nice orange hue with a nice solid white head. Good retention with nice sheet lace all the way down the glass.

S: Wonderful hop filled aroma. Lots of citrus with notes of floral hops. Slightly bready, mostly hoppy.

T: Rather tropical in taste. Lots of mango and tangerine. Bitter grapefruit, floral hops and a touch of grass. Bready biscuit hops try to keep up, but it is a lost cause. More Alpine hop goodness in a glass.

M: Medium in body, crisp and smooth. Would kill for it on a hot Florida summer afternoon.

D: Yep, give me a keg and I am set for awhile.

I will miss Downtown Johnny Browns. What a place to drink.

04-18-2009 02:28:50 | More by tpd975
Overlord

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

Shockingly good IPA from Alpine. I'd never heard of Duet, but will look for it in the future. Shame I had to drive, so just one for me.

Pours a golden orange with a large white foam head. Smells like sweet citrus with some floral notes.

The taste is far more complex, with some tropical, mango-ish along with sweet malt undercurrents mixed with the more typical biting grapefruit. Not much pine here. Very well balanced, delicious.

Could drink this all day. Nice to see some SoCal breweries still carbonate their beers.

04-07-2009 21:25:12 | More by Overlord
magictrokini

3.9/5  rDev -12%

Tap at Pizza Port, Carlsbad. Clear yellow pour with a average-sized white head. Perfumy hops with grass and pine. Smooth hop-and-malt balance that takes nothing away from the bite. More resin than grapefruit, but the citrus is definietly noticeable. Thick, but not as syrupy as other borderline IIPA/IPA's. Very good.

12-04-2008 19:57:14 | More by magictrokini
Deuane

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

A-Deep, orange hued copper with a thin white head that left spotty lacing.

S-In the red corner the pine resin scent of Simcoe! In the blue corner the citrus zest scent of Amarillo! Lets get ready to rumble!

T-Bam! A massive right hook to my palate with the duel attack of Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Then comes in a bit of caramel malt sweetness to make sure I am OK!

M-Medium-light bodied a a bit on the thin side...this one is all about the hops so damn the malt support....give me more hops!

D-A hop head I am and this is a hop heads brew. Simcoe and Amarillo...how can you go wrong? Alpine didn't with this one that's for sure!

09-13-2008 08:05:27 | More by Deuane
tonistruth

Nevada

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

on tap @ San Diego Brewing Company

A- light orange (attractive) decent retent on a silky white head, foam lingers throughout

S- strong aroma of floral and citrus

T- hoppy but yet tastes well balanced & toasted malts can be found, grassy with a citrus rind finish and citric hop aftertaste

M- medium body featuring a delightful hop presence

D- amazing IPA (one of my favorites), damn enjoyable an drinkable, highly recommended

01-26-2008 08:39:14 | More by tonistruth
Stoneman78

On draft at O'Brien's
A- Clear medium-dark orange hue, minimal white head, minimal lacing
S- Huge nose of pine hops and resin, grass and floral tones, slight citrus
T- Very hop-forward, pungent pine resin dominates the palate (like chewing pine needles.... in a good way), opens up to some sweetness but finishes dry
M- Medium-bodied, oily texture coats the mouth, moderate carbonation
D- Super piney IPA, hops overwhelm the malts-in-hiding but the balance is there, can sense the underlying alcohol presence but its not overwhelming, unique and complex IPA definitely worth checking out (if you can find it)

12-11-2007 07:41:18 | More by Stoneman78
rallison

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Sampled at the San Diego County Fair.

An excellent IPA. Nice, clean and citrusy. Grapefruit and lemon are the predominant hop flavors. Touches of toffee in the malt. A very good, focused, West Coast style IPA.

Highly recommended. This was a standout for me at the fair. Wouldn't have minded having a full pint of this one. Hope to see it at one of the SD bars in the near future.

07-25-2007 07:06:41 | More by rallison
nohead02

3.63/5  rDev -18.1%

I love some of Alpine's ales more than life itself, but I was disappointed in this one. It has a nice floral bouquet, but it lacked body and sufficient flavor to really wow me. Very little complexity. Maybe I was hoping for too much since the pub I was in had just run out of pure hoppiness and the barmaid said this would be a reasonable substitute. There really are very few substitutes for pure hoppiness.

06-23-2007 03:09:14 | More by nohead02
sloejams

4.83/5  rDev +9%

The only disappointing about Alpine's beers is limited geographic area that I can get them in. Everytime I'm in the San Diego, one of my goals is to get a bunch of these delicious brews in my belly. Arriving at the Stone Anniversary, the guest breweries were alphabetized. Brilliant! Alpine for the start!

Alpine had two of their offerings to taste: this and Pure Hoppiness, so the missus and I got one of each. Later in the evening, with both on-tap at the Liars Club - I got a pint of each.

Duet, new to me, is everything I long for in an IPA: fruity, floral with a generous portion of American hops. Lots of lacing throughout my glass, the bright amber beer had a good sized head. Plenty of hops in the nose, the best type: fruity with a slight pine flavor. The taste was much the same, rounded out with a pleasant malt balancing that limited the bitter bite.

This is an outstanding IPA, of the hundreds that I've tried - this is right near the top.

09-11-2006 19:03:38 | More by sloejams
OStrungT

This beer pours a light golden color with a white head. The head fades fast, leaving a lot of laces.

This beer has a grassy hop aroma. It also has a slight citrus aroma.

This beer has a very grassy flavor. It reminds me of when I cut the grass. When the grass is fresh cut and a little moist. It sounds lame, but every time I drink it, I get a picture in my mind of mowing the lawn.

This refreshing beer goes down smooth, leaving a grassy taste, and a grassy memory. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It tastes great. I doubt I would ever get tired of it.

04-01-2006 23:39:49 | More by OStrungT
oggg

4.83/5  rDev +9%

On tap at O'Briens.

Light white cakey foam head. Strong scent of grapefruit rind and something not quite piney but very hoppy. I'm being greedy when I say I wish there were an even bigger aroma. Flavor is just like it smells. Medium strong hop bite plants this firmly in the IPA range. I tried sniffing for orange but didn't get it. Malt kicks in about 5 seconds later. Clean, hoppy, malty, tons of flavor. Virtually perfect. This is what I strive for in my homebrew!

01-23-2006 02:15:38 | More by oggg
garthwaite

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

West Coast style IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Sampled this one at the brewery, then on tap at O'Brien's and again at the Liar's Club. Could not get enough of it. Light bronze, big sticky foam head. Huge, unique hop explosion of an aroma. Reminded me of sticking my head into a big bag of leaf hops before tossing them in the boil. Flavor follows suit, grapefruity citrus blended with dirty spiced pine. An astounding blend of hop flavor. Hints of mandarin orange & fresh cut grass. Not a harshly bitter beer, but it certainly lingers on the tongue. Medium bodied. Biscuit and light caramel round this out beautifully. Delightful medley of flavors showcasing the hops uniquely. Best IPA I've had to date.

01-16-2006 23:41:39 | More by garthwaite
SteveO1231

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%

I am a huge Alpine fane and when O'Brien's was pouring a new IPA from Alpine I had to stop by for a pint.

Pours a bright amber color, my pint had not head but little bubbles of lacing.

Smells great, like fresh citrus hops like most Alpine brews.

Very nice malt smweetness swiftly followed by a citrus bitter smack in the mouth. The bitterness fades quickley and reduces to a very smooth finish that makes me want to take another sip.

Very good brew, big hoppiness, goes down smooth, not sure of ABV but I'm sure it will come back to haunt me.

Cheers!