Duet - Alpine Beer Company

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

A West Coast IPA that features Amarillo and Simcoe hops "in harmony," giving a light, floral aroma. Duet is nicely bitter with the perfect amount of malt concealed behind the hoppy goodness. Immensely drinkable, amazingly light on its feet.
Reviews: 678 | Hads: 3,413
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Growler from the brewery on release day, consumed the next day. Hazy gold-light orange with a sticky white head. Ripe apricot, sweet grapefruit and lots of tangy nectarine in the aroma. Like a tangy hop-fruit salad. Almost no malt in the flavor, just pure fruity and spicy hop flavor. More bitterness in the finish than Nelson, though still not strongly bitter. Medium-light body with a dry finish. More of a classic fruit hop profile than the grapey nelson, but very tasty. One of the most drinkable IPAs that I've ever had. Alpine is owning the IPA segment right now with a handful of amazing examples that all have their own flare.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Spent some time searching for this in Southern CA last month and ended up walking into a bottle shop in central Illinois to see it sitting on the shelf, go figure. Still a little mixed emotions about the Green Flash acquisition, but I'm glad to be able to try this. Best by 3-17-16. Lots of pine and citrus with a sweet caramel malty back and moderately bitter finish. Very tasty and I hope that I'm able to get my hands on Alpine stuff more often now. Prost!

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a dark golden color with an amber hue. Head is very thick and bubbly leaving significant lacing as it dissipates down the glass.

Smell is amazing, great hoppy aromas, some pine, grapefruit and grassiness.

Taste is primarily of hops with a smooth creamy malt backbone. Big Hops. Grapefruit, pine, pear and banana come through. Very interesting flavor, somewhat similar to Alpine's Nelson but a little more hoppy. The malt is very present in the finish, very sweet almost caramel like.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. Medium body with medium carbonation. Very nice.

Drinkability is superb, very drinkable IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Alpine Duet

Look 8/10
Smell 18/20
Taste 37/40
Feel 7/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 87/100

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Credit to JesseTheHutt for this wonderful Cali IPA.

22 ounce bomber poured into a SN tumbler. The Duet pours a bright golden orange color with a bubbly white head and lots of bubbles rising from the base of the glass. Very good clarity through the pour and solid lacing. Aromas are dominated with floral and hoppy scents. Also hints of grapefruit and pines. Quaff is fairly sweet with plenty of citrus fruits. A nice malty caramel taste comes forth with the warming of the brew. And of course, hops finish off the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is crisp and bitter with a full body. Drinkability is great. Another great example of west coast hops. Thanks again Jesse.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is heavenly! Top five ipas I've ever had and possibly the best smelling one yet. Pure melons. Taste is melon, orange rind, tropical fruits and a nice dose of Piney bitterness. It has a dankness to its finish that's just amazing. Top top ipa and a must try for sure.... have recently had the green flash brewed version and it is still very good but not the same beer as the alpine version. Can't change my rating because the first time on had this beer it was life changing.

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle and what a huge hit of hops this is. West coast all the way. Grapefruit all the way accompanied by guess what pine. Is it better than all the other west coast up as I'll let you be the judge.

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

great beer got lucky and at my local the guy was putting on the shelf
deep orange color at the top that fades to a lighter orange at the bottom
white head stays till the end s carmel orange pine in a good way
t pretty much as smells good carbination
F good full body
o this good worth drinking lots of

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

The only disappointing about Alpine's beers is limited geographic area that I can get them in. Everytime I'm in the San Diego, one of my goals is to get a bunch of these delicious brews in my belly. Arriving at the Stone Anniversary, the guest breweries were alphabetized. Brilliant! Alpine for the start!

Alpine had two of their offerings to taste: this and Pure Hoppiness, so the missus and I got one of each. Later in the evening, with both on-tap at the Liars Club - I got a pint of each.

Duet, new to me, is everything I long for in an IPA: fruity, floral with a generous portion of American hops. Lots of lacing throughout my glass, the bright amber beer had a good sized head. Plenty of hops in the nose, the best type: fruity with a slight pine flavor. The taste was much the same, rounded out with a pleasant malt balancing that limited the bitter bite.

This is an outstanding IPA, of the hundreds that I've tried - this is right near the top.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Review from Notes.
On Draft at Dirty Truth

Nice appearance and good floral nose. Great flavor. I think I prefer Nelson slightly more, but would be happy to have another pint of Duet.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Growler fill @ Market District

Appearance: Clear, rich golden color with a one finger off white head

Smell: citrus orange pith, melons, pine, cat piss, slight onion. Fairly complex aromas

Taste: A ton of that orange pith upfront, pine oil and catpiss midpalate and into the finish. An undertone of sweet malts throughout. One of the tastiest burps in a beer iv had. A very condensed, piney hop oil presence

Mouthfeel; Medium body, quite full for the style; Very oily and slick on the tongue, goes down fine. Moderately bitter finish

Overall: This is a great IPA. If you like that citrus pith/rind, piney hop oil character than this is the one for you. However, i would prefer more grapefruit/tropical notes. I do appreciate how full bodied it is for 7% abv, and that oily mouthfeel is just wicked. My burps even have a concentrated hop taste, which i find more enjoyable than the initial sip, oddly enough. This is one of the better regular IPAs iv had

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a very clear class golden color with a quickly evaporating white head. Grapefruit nose that draws you in like a Siren. MF is wet and full and accentuates the overall experience of the beer. Grapefruit citrus yields to pine in the flavors that get balanced nearly perfectly by the grain. This is a stupendous IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

3/2/11 - poured from 22oz bomber into a Stone IPA glass. I've also previously sampled this beer at O'brian's.

A: Pours light orange with one finger thick white head. Head retention and lacing are fantastic with this pour and glass. Sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Outstanding, with fresh Simcoe hops, pine, citrus, and faint malt in the background. Comparable to Pliny, which in my opinion, is the best smelling beer out there.

T: Again, exceptional. Strong hops and grapefruit up front, with a dry bittersweet finish. Nice mix of bittering and aromatic hops with moderate malt profile. I'm not sure if someone poured a Pliny and this beer next to each other that I could tell much difference. One major difference is a slight alcohol taste on the finish.

M: Is thin to moderate with medium high carbonation. A little watery at times.

D: Not sure how many of these I could finish. This bomber won't be an issue, though. Great work, Alpine.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

I am a huge Alpine fane and when O'Brien's was pouring a new IPA from Alpine I had to stop by for a pint.

Pours a bright amber color, my pint had not head but little bubbles of lacing.

Smells great, like fresh citrus hops like most Alpine brews.

Very nice malt smweetness swiftly followed by a citrus bitter smack in the mouth. The bitterness fades quickley and reduces to a very smooth finish that makes me want to take another sip.

Very good brew, big hoppiness, goes down smooth, not sure of ABV but I'm sure it will come back to haunt me.

4.51/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear light gold with a thin white head. Not many bubbles or lacing. Smell is mango, pineapple, and grapefruit. Taste follows the nose. Bright fruity notes with some pine and just the right amount of bitterness. Maybe a little oniony too. Sweet malts complement the fruity hops really well. Really clean finish. Mouthfeel is spot on. Really easy drinking and super low IBU for an IPA. Overall one of my favorites, edged out just a bit by Nelson. Just a really great, clean IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My thanks to my amazing friend JohnParadee for this bottle.
Poured from the 22oz bottle into a snifter.
Pours clear golden amber, light head the dissipates quickly.
The aromas are amazing, unique even. Floral, grassy, hoppy and citrus fruit. The grassy notes were blowing my mind.
Flavor is a text book delicious west coast IPA with hops and malt in perfect balance, while still letting the citrus notes of the hops shine.
Mouthfeel was perfect, so inviting to drink delicious sip after sip.
No wonder Shaun Hill loves Alpine beer so much. This may be the best west coast IPA I've ever had.

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

The color is a golden California sunset. Extraordinary nose: All sticky weed, grapefruit and a strange, almost Brett-like, hint of eraser. The lightest and most delicate IPA I've ever had. It's utterly refreshing and shockingly not the least bit bitter. This beer is in a whole other realm from your typical swill IPA that dominates American shelves. It's smooth and sophisticated where others are uncouth, bitter bores. Imagine grapefruit without a hint of bitterness; a fresh, warm loaf of sourdough just out of the oven and a fragrant lemon orchard in a glass. Phenomenal.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Enjoyed with some friends before the holiday break and it went like this...

A- A very nice and light golden color with an pale yellow hue. A little on the hazy side, but mostly clear which is just like I like them to be. Has a nice thick, fluffy white head. Looks ready to drink immediately. A steady stream of carb keeps the head nice and fluffy and ready to go.

S- A barrage of mango, tangerine, citrus and grapefruit which are very pleasant and causing me to drool a little bit. I love the simple and clean aromas this one presents and have never been let down by an alpine beer that's fresh. A little warming and I sense a very light malty sweetness. A very nicely balanced aroma.

T- Simply an amazing combination of citrus, grapefruit, sweet tangerines, light apricots and delicious mango. An unbelievable combination of citrus hops with almost no piney bitterness to speak of. I taste almost no sweetness within either. This one has been balanced in the hops from start to finish. Love the tropical fruit delight that I have had the opportunity to consume.

M- A very slight tingle from the carb, but otherwise sticky, coating and exceptionally smooth. Love every sip of this one from the beginning to end.

D- God damn straight it's dangerously well crafted and the sweet succulent hops make this one a delicacy and it's readily available for those of you looking for it. Seek it out and enjoy, you will not be disappointed.

Another exemplary offering from an up and coming IPA heavy line up from Alpine.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a lovely orange amber color with a nice bright white head that leaves good lacing. Smell is sweet malt, peach, lemon, grapefruit, pine and dankness. Taste is the same. Feel is medium and a little bitter. Overall this is a fantastic IPA, would love to find more.

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%

Obtained thanks to FreightTrain

IT pours a deep copper, almost amber, slightly dark ,but nice clarity, beautiful 1 inch head that's dense and sticky. Moderate lacing, decent retention. The smell is grapefruit, pine, and mango upfront. I think the simcoes dominate the smell. Notes of floral resins, and grassy, piney hops are nice, and the juicy fruit comes through as well. Also, as it warms, a nice distinct, raw graininess comes up as well. The taste is interesting. It starts out bitter, then the pine and grass come in, with a nice sweet finish, with the melon and orange notes coming in. As it warms, I think the Amarillo start to dominate the taste - with heavy orange and grass notes - flavors that I think are very prominent in the Amarillo hops. You start to taste the alcohol too, but mostly it just lends a nice pleasant burn to the drink. The malts also start to peek their head out as it warms, and you end up with this very bready, sweet, bitter orange peel kind of taste for the last leg of the drink. A good tasting IPA. I think that the taste of the alcohol is all to prominent in this though - perhaps if it were subdued, this could go to the next level. The body is nice and medium, fairly full with malt, with a good sticky resinous feeling. The carbonation is mild, and lends a slight sting. I would say overall, at about 45-50F, this beer is absolutely amazing, as the grassiness starts to subside, the grain starts to come forward a bit, and the fruity hop flavor dominates. A very nice beer that I really enjoyed drinking.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

This is a very fresh bottle, and as far as I know is within one week of bottling based on what my store retailer told me. I will say that I do believe them since this is not the first Duet I have tried, but is definitely the best I experience I have had with this beer.

A – Pours an incredibly clear dark yellow with a huge, thick two finger eggshell color head. Excellent retention. As the head recedes it leaves some awesome lacing.

S – The last time I had this beer I hated it. It smelled like buttered popcorn, like a popcorn jelly belly. This is not that at all. Very prominent Simcoe giving way to a very dank, floral, piney/grassy and citrus forward hop presence followed by a very lightly hidden maltiness.

T – Very nice and crisp and fresh tasting with a very good hop bitterness up front followed by citrus and pine resin. There is a nice malt presence as well. Very well balanced with a decent sweetness which is blended well with the crisp and dry hop bite.

M – Pretty dry with a medium body and medium carbonation. This is a very well balanced beer.

O – Thank god I like this beer, because I was starting to worry that something was wrong with my palate based on what other say. What I now realize is that the previous attempts to enjoy this beer were with old examples, I hope. This experience is a very good one, one that I hope to repeat again, often. This is a very well-crafted IPA utilizing two of my favorite hop varieties. Will definitely seek this out again.

3.67/5  rDev -15%

on the visit to san diego, we drove out to alpine to sample the wares. except my partner in crime passed himself out in the back of the van. left alone to trudge on, i put forth my best effort. a light orangey hue, spewing forth grapefruit and mango goodness with a slight bit of malt. a nice bitter, touch of sweetness and plenty of citrus fruit. pretty tasty, nothing to go too wild over, but enjoyable nonetheless. perhaps the sours from earlier in the day were still vengeful, but i would think my excitement from the 45 minute drive would overcompensate for any of that. at any rate, i shall try a bottle in the future or perhaps find it at sd beer week if everything goes right.

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: pours a yellow color, with a 1 finger white head. Sub-par head retention, moderate lacing.

S: Lots of pine. Actually, it's a very intense and one-dimensional pine experience without much else in the smell.

T: Just as with the smell, a ton of pine and not much else.

M: Too thin for my liking. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Overall just your run of the mill IPA, nothing about it made me think "wow this is special, unique, or great" Not that it's terrible, but Duet is by far my least favorite of the Alpine IPAs at our tasting. I really don't think this deserves to be anywhere close to the top 100.

4.11/5  rDev -4.9%

I love this little west coast brewery!

A: 2 fingered white foamy head that displays great retention and lacing atop this completely transparent golden bodied brew.

S: A bit subtle, sweet candied malts are at the forefront and are followed by floral citrus notes.

T: Toffee flavors are nice, but more sweet than I usually look for in the style. The hops make a return and really help balance the beer on its way out with tropical fruits and citrus flavors.

M: Well carbonate leaving a crisp feeling following each tasting.

O: Another great entry from one of my favorite breweries.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at Oak & Oar OKC. Pours a hazy orange with a healthy finger of white head. The aroma is citrus, some tropical and a bit of malt. Taste is similar to the nose. There's some orange and a bit of grapefruit. There's quite a lot of bitterness on the back end. Medium mouth and it's fairly dry. This is a solid IPA.

Duet from Alpine Beer Company