Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Duet - Alpine Beer Company

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: SteveO1231 on 12-31-2005

A West Coast IPA that features Amarillo and Simcoe hops "in harmony," giving a light, floral aroma. Duet is nicely bitter with the perfect amount of malt concealed behind the hoppy goodness. Immensely drinkable, amazingly light on its feet.
Reviews: 593 | Hads: 3,087
4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Clear golden orange with a long lasting white head. Lots of lacing. Very enticing.

S - Piny, citrusy hops front and foremost. Raw grassy hop notes. Slight bready malts.

F/M - Moderate bready sweet malt flavors. Huge hop flavors: citrus (grapefruit, tangerine), piny and a little resinous, but above all very fruity. Medium high hop bitterness. Very clean, dry finish. Not stringent at all. Medium body, crisp and clean. Moderately high carbonation.

D - Excellent. Clean, bitter, hoppy. Not balanced, but raw, outstanding hoppiness in a glass. Absolutely outstanding!

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear copper color with a slightly off-white & rocky head, which leaves good lacing.

Smell: Light aroma but very nice with grapefruit, pine, and some malts.

Taste: Good flavor with bitter grapefruit hops and a hint of pine, but it also has a very good balance with some nice toasted malts. Mildly bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and very smooth, with quite mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to drink since it is nicely balanced, no alcohol in taste.

A very solid and nicely balanced IPA. Very enjoyable; too bad it is so pricey in the bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a tulip with some slight white lacing and head. Pours a more or less golden color, a slight haziness, though not as much as nelson (which i had immediately before this one).
Carbonation is pretty evident.

Smell is a peachy/piney blast, very very pleasant.... not a whole lot of malt evident in the smell or the taste for that matter.

Smell has a lot in common with nelson, though not quite as distinct to me... the floral character is evident throughtout.

Taste is outstanding, in line with the best west coast ipa's i've had, just pure hoppy goodness that does not subside for the entire glass.

Mouthfeel is very crisp with a slight sense of resin (not nearly as much as expo hop or pure hop).... not as much of the "bite" as nelson. Overall in line with what you would think of for a good west coast ipa in terms of the mouthfeel and, in turn, the drinkability.

Would certainly be one of my go to's if I lived in the area.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

750 mL bottle, pint glass.

Appearance - I thought this beer was lighter in color than a typical IPA. I am used to seeing a distinct orange hue, but this beer was more of a burnt yellow. Good, fluffy foam with tiny bubbles that provided a constant film the entire time. Low-medium lacing.

Smell - Sim-coe sim-coe sim-coe! Grapefruit dominates the smell, though it is well done and overwhelming. Small pine notes as well. Good, though nothing too crazy.

Taste - And ladies and gents, I think I just found my favorite value beer. Found it to be rather piney in the front, and then there seems to be a dip in the bitterness, that gives way to a few malt notes in the middle. Then, just as smoothly, it ramps back up to the sweet-citrus that carries through into probably one of the most lasting aftertastes I have ever had in an IPA.

Mouth Feel - I think this beer might be SLIGHTLY overcarbonated. I get a carbonation sting right off the bat, but it is not bad. Otherwise very light on the palate and finishes very, very smooth.

Drinkability - I would drink this beer all day long. Reasonable ABV and a wonderful complexity would keep me coming back for more. This is one beer I am going to make an effort to try on tap.

Overall, this is a friggen damn good IPA. Not so sure I would rate it as high as many people seem to, but it certainly was a treat. Classic 1-2 punch of simcoe and amarillo, I think I would really like to blind taste-test this and Sculpin. Right now I would say I prefer Sculpin, but it would be interesting to try them back-to-back.

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this bottle from sideswipe in one of our several amazing trades! I'm glad to have John as a friend and trading partner. Thanks bud.

Reviewed from notes (in my ongoing effort to get caught up on my reviews!)

poured into a pint and shared with a few other Ba's at a small get together.

Beer pours a nice golden color. Really very nice looking. 2 finger white head subsides into a frothy cap composed of a mix-n-match of different sized bubbles.

The smell gives a little malt notes then some Amarillo hops-- grapefruit, pineapple, and perhaps a touch of pine? Lots of nice flavor and a minimal bitterness. Very nice and pleasurable beer.

Feel is spot-on. A hair lighter than medium with plenty of carbonation. This feels smooth and lush with a vibrant and bouncy feeling.

This beer is superbly drinkable. I could drink the hell out of this! Super high drinkabilty.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

A: The appearance is phenomenal: a semi-hazy orange hue topped with a fluffy, steamed-milk quality head that laces the shit out of the glass.

S: No surprise here: the simcoe/amarillo blend really shows itself. There's also a honey sweetness.

T: Alpine really has IPA's locked down. The flavor is a wonderful balance of tropical fruit and pine hops and malt sweetness. The finish is smooth as could be. It's refreshing and hoppy, but definitely not over-bitter.

M: Nice for an IPA

D: Another great one from Alpine.

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

Special Thanks to Jctribe25 for providing this gem. Patrick is a great trader and great guy...

The head is like a nice light whipped topping. Egg shell in color with decent retention.. The beer is a very light amber or a light brass color. Maybe at the intersection of the two. A small amount of light carbonation rises to the surface. Wonderful sheets of lacing remain in the glass reminding you how great the beer was.

Aroma is unreal. So floral & perfume like. Bursting with juicy hops and screaming fresh.. I smelled the beer for several minutes before even tasting it.. Lots of fresh citrus peel.

No surprise why Alpine IPA's are so highly sought after. This is delicious. Wish I had a Sculpin to taste next to this. It's right up there in my book. The light malt flavor really is in a strange balance with the assertive hop flavors. Slight malt, cracker flavor. What's interesting about the hop profile is that it's as floral and herbaceous as it is bitter. It almost finishes smooth if that makes any sense. Definitely bitter on the finish, but not overpowering at all. Just wonderful.

Very light in your mouth with a medium/light body.. Just a light prickle of carbonation.

Drinkability?? Um YES. I have to consciously slow down to make sure I savor the entire bottle. I could quite possible quaff the whole thing before maximizing the experience. Next up tomorrow... Nelson.

Great IPA. Right up my alley

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

A- this beer pours a orange-straw color with an impressively foamy, pillowy eggshell head that seems to take forever to die down. it leaves some sticky lacing on the side of the glass. there is also a good amount of carbonation to this beer.

S- floral, citrus hops make up a good protion of the aroma on this beer. there is also a sweet, honey maltiness that shares a good protion of the nose. some tropical fruit tones can also be picked up in the nose.

T- similar to the nose, with the hops taking more of a presence than in the nose. same floral, citrus, tropical fruit character. and then there is that sweet honey maltiness again. finishes dry with a little bitter kick to it.

M/D- medium bodied, good strong carbonation. overall pleasing beer. no alcohol picked up throughout the experince.

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

Thanks got to Grant for obtaining this growler. Thanks! I really enjoyed this one! I generally really like Alpine's brews, and this one is no exception, in fact I thought this was fantastic. Pours a dark golden with a medium head that is pure white and leaves some great lacing. Not bad from a growler. The smell is a clean burst of pine- like walking into a pine forest after a spring rain. There is just enough clean, sweet, honeyed malt to balance the beautiful pine aromas. Perfect for me in the flavor department. Beautifully balanced with a blast of sweet pine and a hint of citrus. The mouthfeel is clean, sweet, and slightly spicy. Classic beer, really, really drinkable- I could drink these all night. Wonderful! I also really like the way that Alpine's IPAs and doubles each display a different hop note/mix- they don't at all taste the same. Great brewery!

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

I've had 2 Alpine brews thus far, PH and Nelson.. Time for the trifecta here...

Pours a pale golden with one of the more impressive heads I've ever seen on an IPA... This things foams like Duvel.... Gentle pour produces a 4 inch head and a steady vibrant stream of bubbles from the SA Perfect Pint...

Citrusy and spicy hops dominate here... Not overpowering or pungent or anything but very nice... Light toasted malts are present as well... Perhaps a little yeastiness as well...

Definitely hoppy but I was hoping for a touch more here... The hops are tasty but there's not a strong enough presence for me. Spicy and herbal... The brew is overcarbonated for my tastes and I wish that would have been toned down and I might have enjoyed this one more... It was distracting...

Not bad overall but I wasn't as big of a fan of this one as some others have been... A nice beer I guess...

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance> Golden color. Slightly hazy. Very still.

Smell> Yeasty, followed by a mix of hops and honey. Nice addition.. pineapple was suggested by another taster. Wow pineapple.

Taste>Nice and strong, but it really lacks the complexity of other American IPAs. However, it's still sublimely clean.

Mouf>decent. Slightly more tingle.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%

Shared a bomber with 2fastcars the other night. This bottle has been waiting to be consumed for the last 6 months or so. I think it started to fade a bit...

A- Golden straw color. Pure white head that foams like crazy. Extensive lacing all over the glass.

S- Smells of Simcoe hops, and sweet malt. I also get some lemony/citrus smells.

T- Nice light IPA, with some hints of lemon and spice. The hops had faded quite a bit, but are still very well balanced.

M- A litle light even for the style. I expected this to be a bit bigger, especially compared to the other Alpine beers I've had.

Might try to keep and eye out for a fresher bottle of this, but not my favorite Alpine beer

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle. Light copper color with a 1 finger head that quickly dissapates. Nice collar. Floral and malty notes in the aroma. Citrus as well. More malt forward in the taste than I would expected but the back end really has a nice hop bite. Very crisp. Pretty tasty IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Looks just as nice and clean as every other Alpine beer. A light, golden orange color.

S - Beautiful floral, foresty, and citrus hops aroma -- I couldn't stop inhaling it. The pine and pineapple notes scream West Coast style IPA.

T - Big hops as expected and a bit of bready spice on the front end, but the back end fails to impress. Not much there.

M - Not bad but a little watery... doesn't hold up like other Alpine brews.

D - The thin quality adds to the drinkability, though it detracts elsewhere. As good as almost anything I can think of for a hot summer day, which is impressive at 6.75%.

Great beer, but somehow not top-shelf by Alpine's standards. Their fault for setting the bar so damned high.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%

A gracious gift from drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: The appearance of this beer was awesome. The beer appeared a clear, light yellow hue. There was a gargantuan head with incredible staying power and bountiful lacing.

S: The aroma was not as big as I would like. The scents I detected were pine, floral and citrus, though these were more subtle than I expected.

T: Duet IPA tastes excellent. More bold flavors emerge than the aroma would suggest. The Amarillo and Simcoe hops do indeed perform a lovely duet. The beer is hop forward, the way it should be.

M: Really smooth and easy to drink, with only a light, pleasant bitterness in the finish.

D: Very drinkable and enjoyable. I anxiously look forward to having it again.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

22oz bottle poured into my pint glass

Appearance is of a mild copper like color with a two inch white frothy head. Great head retention that subsides very slowly and leaves a small island of foam on the edges of the glass. Soapy scattered lacing is left clinging all over the sides of my glass.

Citrus smells dominate the aroma with pineapple being the main fruit along with mandarin oranges and grapefruit. Caramel and slight biscuit like malts can be detected behind the citrus smell.

Upfront taste of citrus flavors show up with tangerines leading way into a piny bitterness. Midway grapefruit shows up with a touch of caramel and slight biscuit.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation

Good IPA and one I would recommend to try

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Again, thanks to Hayesez for our spontaneous IPA tasting....

Pours a thick, pretty head that later turns into a creamy island of foam that sticks around for most of the experience.Pours a pretty clear, lighter orange with my favorite observation of the night: right after the pour, there were "bubbles coming up and chunks of goodness going down". exactly as described, it was a really pretty beer. the smell absolutely got my psyched for this one, exactly my taste in these types of beers, super fresh and floral citrus hops. smells soo crisp and fresh i can't wait! grapefruit and orange zest, with just i tiny bit of fresh pine coming through. great smell! my notes say the taste is "just less" than the smell. a great combination of grapefruit and orangey bitter hops, very fresh and crisp. a little sweetness from a malty balance, but definitely not the focus of this great beer. feels in the mouth pretty good, the carbonation complements the taste to lend additional smoothness, just a hair light i think. this is pretty hoppy, but as far as drinkability is concerned, this one BEGGED to be drank!

Great beer, my (i think both of our) clear favorite of the night.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Split with a couple of BAs after a night of fishing - tough to beat a day on the boat in the squelching heat, followed closely by some fine IPAs! Thanks to Kaiser81 for sending this one...if it is nearly as good as the Pure Hoppiness, we are in for a helluva treat tonight!

Poured into my Portsmouth snifter. A very nice golden amber beer that glistens in the sunlight and produces a most impressive eggshell cap. Tons of sticky lace is left throughout the glass.

There certainly is a lot of stuff going on in this one. While not quite as impressive as the Pure Hoppiness I had a few nights ago, this one still falls in the "exceptional" category. Lots of sweet fruit, grapefruit and definite orange. Some others are certainly in there, but I can't quite distinguish them. This one smells amazing.

The taste of the Duet is completely dominated by grapefruit: Very sweet pink grapefruit. It actually conjures up thoughts of straight grapefruit juice. I can confidently say that I have never had a beer that has this much grapefruit flavor. I can also say with conviction, that I have never used the word "grapefruit" so often in such a short time. Orange peel, orange, and some sweet pineapple are in there as well, although a bit overshadowed. Would have liked to have them a bit more balanced with the grapefruit. Very crisp, clean, and a nice dry finish. Not nearly as malty as I anticipated and feels just a bit thinner than I would like.

Certainly drinkable, I must admit that I am quite impressed with the two Alpine beers I have tried so far. This one leans a bit too far toward the grapefruit, but is still damn impressive. I've received all of the Alpine's as extras...this is why you have to love this aspect (the tradition of adding "extras") of Beer Advocate. This is probably a beer that I would not have sought out, but thanks to Ryan's generosity, I'm on the wagon. Cheers!

Consumed : 8/4/2010

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Had at a local DC tasting thanks to nimbleprop, thanks Mac.

a - Pours a nice, transparent golden color with 2 inches of white head and light carbonation evident. Little bit of lacing.

s - Smells heavily of piney hops, citrus hops, grapefruit, and some other sweet fruits.

t - Tastes of piney hops, citrus hops, and smooth fruity malts.

m - Light to medium body and light carbonation. Very easy to drink.

d - I enjoyed this one a lot. I thought it was a very easy to drink IPA with some nice pine and citrus to it. There was no bitterness to it. Would like to try again.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance -- Pours a bright gold with two fingers of stiff eggshell head. Clarity is good, as is lacing. First impression: on the thin side?

Smell -- Orange marmalade, pineapple, pine resin, butted bead.

Taste -- Sweet citrus and tropical fruit notes are present, but milder than in the nose. Hop bittering is moderate evoking fesh pine and cut grass. Malts are very dry and conjure up bread crusts. The buttery diacetyl component from the aroma is present in the flavor, which I personally find to be pleasant in small doses. Finish is pine, faint menthol, and buttered bread crust.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to light in body with just enough carbonation to be smooth without being creamy. Crisp.

Drinkability -- Not a hop bomb, nor any other. Just a well-crafted, pitch-perfect IPA. This is an ideal warm weather IPA: crisp, a bit dry, and a bit lighter in body. If these were distributed near me, I'd drink this on a regular basis.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Big thanks to ALANO for hooking me up with this awesome extra. Now I have another Cali IPA to lust after.

Pours a somewhat hazy copper color with some very nice fluffy head that retained nicely and left a trail of lace .

The aroma is pure hops. Lots of citrus and pine but the nose is all hops and it is great.

Taste is very similar to the nose. Lots of white grapefruit and pine but with this amazing balance that comes from the malt, cant quite explain it but it is as satisfying as any west coast hop bomb but not as abrasive. Refreshing and has a very nice clean finish.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, medium bodied and the carbonation level is perfect.

This beer is extremely drinkable for a hoppy IPA, the balance and finish is exceptional. This was easily the most refreshing IPA I have ever had. I am glad I got to try this super fresh and it the top of its game. Top notch IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Appearance - This poured a nice brownish-orange in color with a white head that rose up nicely and left some good lacing.

Smell - The hops here are very raw and fresh. The site says Simcoe and Amarillo but I swear this is a monster and nothing like other beers I've had using just one or both of these hops. The pine is all over the place almost completely drowning out the orangish aromas that you'd expect from the hop combination. Also, in the truest sense of the style, there is little malt to the nose.

Taste - Again, this is pure to the style. The malt is very much in the background of this flavor profile. The hops are incredibly fresh, almost like it's dry-hopped, and offer just enough orange sweetness to smooth out the raw edge to this beer.

Mouthfeel - This medium-bodied IPA is incredibly smooth considering the massive hop flavors and is just slightly dry.

Drinkability - The lack of a giant dry finish keeps this IPA going down like water. This is easily one of the smoothest most drinkable "big hop" IPAs that I've ever had.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

Round #1 of my journey into Alpine IPA goodness was very enjoyable with a Nelson. Round #2 is Duet with Pure to follow. Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Nearly clear golden yellow color. Unlike the Nelson, no issues with carbonation here. Two fingers of 3/4 frothy and 1/4 creamy hybrid off-white head. Retention could be better, but a decent amount of lacing.

4.5 S: This smells just about exactly like Nelson, except for differences in the hop contributions. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, grassy, slightly pungent. I love these hops, they might be my favorite two.

4.5 T: This is the definition of a West Coast IPA. Taste follows the nose. First the malts. Pretty simple here. Neutral malt taste with touches of sweetness. Hops are again grapefruit, pine, pineapple, orange, mango, grass, pungence, and a moderate bitterness. Very nice here.

3.5 M: Lighter body. Moderate carbonation. Could be much creamier. This isn't the greatest aspect of this beer.

4.0 D: Another great beer. This is definitely better than the Nelson in terms of taste, but the mouthfeel could use a little work. Otherwise, very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

thanks to AndrewK for the Cali goodies!
a-golden bronze, pretty clear, white pillowy head. dense leaving nice lacing
s-bitter orange, grapefruit, light pine
t-spicy! the grapefruit and pine are back with a bit of barnyard funk. strange. lemony too. pretty balanced overall.
m-a gentle tingle, medium body. still, can't get past that funk. weird
d-good not great. i prefer nelson for sure but this is pretty good. that little funky taste was the turning point for me. it distracted from the other good notes, maybe i got a goofy bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a nice clean golden/copper hue with a solid creamy head that dissipates within a few sips leaving solid lacing in my glass from start to finish.

S: Sweet and grassy, floral and spicy with some citrus/grapefruit essence in there too. The smell is real nice, but not as strong as I anticipated.

T: Clean, spicy hopiness that is balanced perfectly with a malty finish. Super crisp and very clean; honestly one of the best IPA's So-Cal has to offer - the quality is top notch.

M: Creamy and medium bodied with mild carbonation that really lends to the creaminess of this brew.

D: Real easy to drink - the prevalent hop is balanced perfectly with a sweet malty finish.

Fresh quality IPA that is just a cut above most others of the same style.

Duet from Alpine Beer Company