Nelson - Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Wants: 1,391
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: OStrungT on 08-11-2006

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB
to view more.
Ratings: 2,894 | Reviews: 640
4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap

Hoppy, danky, tropical/pineapple on the nose.

This brew yields a bright, hoppy citrus burst. The hoppiness comes across as (soft) skunky, danky, moving in to earthy, slightly herbal notes. There is some added spiciness, not earthy in nature. I attribute this to the rye. The brightness is big notes of grapefruit. Very little in the way tropical notes. Refreshing melon at the half palate. Clean malt backbone that stays in the background. The beer dries out a bit as it rolls in to the finish. Clean bitterness in the finish, just shy of being bitey, overly bitter. Body is on the thin side. Brightness and dryness contribute to the perception that the beer is highly carbonated, but it's appropriate to style. West Coast IPA for sure. A hop head's delight. Nice beer. A highly regarded IPA that doesn't disappoint. Not quite Pliny, but good.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just had this beer in a flight of 4 5oz IPA's and hands down the best of the bunch! Amazing balance from the nose to the mouth feel such a beautiful beer! Thanks Three Sheets in Dublin Ca.

3.85/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a finger of head on a light straw body.
The aroma is lots of grapefruit.
The taste is moderate grapefruit bitterness, pine and more grapefruit.
The texture is crisp with soft edges.
It's good and bold.

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a clear golden/yellow color ale with a large foamy head with excellent retention and some really good lacing. Aroma of floral hops of mango, Sauvignon and papaya is just ab out perfect. Taste is also dominated by loads of fresh floral hoppy notes of mango, papaya and Sauvignon. Light residual sugar notes can also be detected and bitterness is very minimal. Body is about average with good carbonation. Can’s say I really tasted the rye malt so much but the hops flavours are just about perfect.

3.51/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not as good as Duet. Not bad. Just ok

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

10 oz pour on-tap into a stemmed tulip.

Appearance
Golden with 2 fingers of white head. Good clarity with light carbonation.

Nose
Rye, pine, white grape, pineapple, and caramel.

Taste
An assertive rye spice immediately comes through. Papaya, pineapple, white grape, and grapefruit zest. Exceedingly smooth malt backbone of caramel covered bread. Finishes piney with touches of onion.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, smooth, and juicy as Hell with a medium-low bitterness.

Overall
Exceptionally smooth, juicy, and spicy. The Nelson hops work great with the rye spice. Excellent IPA!

3.79/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Short Review. I've been wanting to try something from Alpine for a little while now and it seems like their beers just started showing up on tap. This is pretty nice, but it's not as good as I was expecting and it had some green onion hop aspects that held it back in the end, but i did like the fruity aspects in the hop profile and the mouthfeel was pretty good. I would like to try a super fresh bottle of this. It's pretty nice, but I don't think it's a stand out for the style.

One of my new favorite beers. Great ipa

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served On-Tap

A — Pours a really pale and clear yellow with a thin white head on it, very light and not very appealing. Minimal lacing.

S — Smells of fresh pine and citrus, very earthy and herbaceous, like a pine cone or pine needles. Rye spice.

T — Tastes like the forest in the best possible way, big fresh pine notes, like chewing on a pine needle, very crisp and clean.

M — LIght to medium bodied, adequate carbonation, very refreshing.

O — Very nice IPA from Alpine again, very unique piney hop note on this one.

4.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

very tasty IPA. Similar to lawsons KIWI, more citrusy then piney. Highly recommended!!

3.23/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - Contrary to everything I've read about this beer previously, my glass does not contain a hazy, orange-juice-esque beer. In fact, it is pretty clear and light, with slow trickles of carbonation filling the glass. This isn't to say that it isn't nice looking, but sort of unexpected since the appearance is usually one of the defining characteristics of Nelson. A bone white head sits atop the liquid and lasts throughout the glass.

Aroma - The nose is fresh with a hint of grape tartness, like green grapes or grape must. A big burst of grapefruit and papaya follow, but is balanced with a sharp bite of rye.

Taste - I'm taken aback by just how assertive the rye is on the palate, so much so that it starts to butt up against the hops. I was expecting this to be a hop bomb, but it is much more balanced, and at times, unfortunately so. Because of this, no one flavor rises to the top and the rest of the ingredients battle for supremacy, leading to a muddled, confusing drink. In parts, I enjoy each component, but together it doesn't really mesh for me.

Mouthfeel - If there's one aspect of this beer I dig, it's the mouthfeel. It is dry and crisp, with a mellow, creamy body that garners an excellent finish.

Closing Arguments - I came into this beer with really high expectations, and frankly it didn't meet them at all. I wanted the Nelson Sauvin hops to shine, but instead they were overshadowed by the rye. I'm not sure of the age of this - the tap takeover I got this growler at was pushed back from its original schedule - but I can't imagine it could be that old. Thankfully Alpine will be seen more in Pittsburgh, so I will give this a try at least once more to compare and contrast.

4.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

oh man.. Dank-est beer I have ever had.. big time west coast hops...

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hoppy, cloudy. I don't discern any citrus. Excellent beer

one of the best beers I've ever had

4.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at HopCat East Lansing....tapped 2 days prior for an Alpine Dinner, was very solid...not as fruity as I was expecting but enjoyed it none the less.....lived up to its expectation....other than the 9 dollar per 12oz pour lol

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into Speigelau glass

A: Soft light orange small soap head medium haziness

S: very melony, nice grapefruit rind this beer smells bitter

T: very nice melon very juicy beer with some nice underlying bitterness

M: medium body

O: This beer is delightful great juicy melon and grapefruit rind I am a huge fan of Nelson hops and this beer is great

3.22/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The Alpine hype train finally hit Bellingham. Been looking forward for trying these SoCal legends for a long time. This one didn't push my buttons. Just a solid, good, enjoyable IPA, nothing less, nothing more.

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Burnt orange, cloudy, two fingers of white head.
S: Spicy, floral, citrus, orange peel, grapefruit, some funkiness
T: Some bitterness upfront, chased by orange, grapefruit and spice from the rye.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation. Goes down very smooth and finishes dry.
O: Probably my favorite rye IPA. I love Nelson hops, I love rye and this is perfection in both.

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Would be difficult to say that there is a better IPA that I've tried.

To me, Alpine Nelson > Pliny the Younger .. so drinkable and so flavorful.

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Pint Defiance in Tacoma WA. Impressed they got this stuff in the area.

Beer is damn tasty. A lighter color than I would imagine but with Rye IPA it fits. Solid taste. Not too happy but well balanced.

Stoked to have tried this locally. Attempted and failed at the brewery in San Diego. Small place that has awesome brews.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Love me some Nelson! And it's cool to see it with rye, in this instance mellow, but an often rather harsh malt. So much hype, rad to finally have one at back country in boulder. Pour is a really light pale golden color with an opaque orange lowlight and a lasting inch of airy white bubbles. Smells like Nelson alright, although somewhat less pungent and fresh than anticipated, and especially mellow for a top 250 IPA. The flavor is more dynamic than the nose, but also underwhelming. As good as it is, and it is real good, I wanted more from the hops. The rye is a real nice twist and can be both tasted and felt, but this lends credence to my theory that it's near impossible to make a bad beer with this hop. It just doesn't pip pineapple like others, and with such a no bull name, I thought this would be the loudest Nelson statement of all time, and it's not. It's freakishly dry though, so hops and rye do stand out, and there isn't much of a yeast profile happening at all. Carbonation is really lively, and I don't mean to belittle this because it is amazing, and a real nice use of one of my favorite hops, but it just doesn't stand out far enough from the heard to be labeled one if the best IPAs ever, at least in my opinion.

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm having a Nicholas Cage moment in Leaving Las Vegas. While I'm not on a bender destined to succumb myself in alcohol poisoning, each sip of this magnificent beer has me calling out for a nurse. I'm worried my neighbors may think I've gone mad. I don't even know where to begin, it's so unbelievable. First off, the pour on Nelson is beyond reproach; only rivaled by Heady Topper. Brilliant orange, super cloudy, spotty lacing. Very excellent head retention. The nose has hints of white wine from the use of Nelson Sauvin hops, and is backed by tons of citrus. Taste follows with grapefruit and pineapple. So freaking balanced I can barely stand it, as if that isn't an oxymoron in itself. The mouthfeel is creamy as ever, and I can't stop smacking my lips. I never thought I would enjoy a rye IPA so much. This is a world-class, must try beer, especially for people like me, who primarily drink IPAs. Those who have access to this on a regular basis should consider themselves extremely lucky. Hard to find a flaw. JUST WOW!

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A great Rye IPA. Alpine has always been dedicated to the craft.

2.81/5  rDev -37.3%

Smooth easy drinking ipa a good after taste

to view more.