Microbrew Invitational

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

Added by OStrungT on 08-11-2006

Reviews: 815 | Ratings: 3,951

On tap in the brew pub and multiple bottle.
Pours a great hazy orange even my non drinking wife was blown away. Just a great looking beer. Like all Alpine beer I've ever had the nose is beautiful and fruity. Beautiful balance, long smooth finish. I love Nelson hops and this is my favorite example. A top 5 beer of all time for me for sure.

Serving Type- On tap poured into a 13oz tulip glass

Appearance- Hazy peach and straw color, finger and a half of fluffy white head, lacing soft but strong

Smell- WOW....Tons of tropical fruits on the nose, papaya, mango, peach, mandarins, great white wine dryness and hop presence as well..just awesome

Taste- Yep another WOW....Tons of tropical fruits again, papaya, mango, peach and mandarins, awesome Nelson Sauvin hop dryness almost like a great white wine...just fantastic, tons of sweet tropical notes, but also great hop bitterness to counter the sweetness

Mouthfeel- Medium light body and soft carbonation

Overall- One of the BEST Beers I have ever had and easy one of the BEST IPA's I have ever had just a world class beer all around...if you have never had this beer and you are able to track it down on tap or in the bottle do yourself a favor and get some...CHEERS

- 22 oz. bottle poured into stemless wine glass on 22-Nov-11
- 22 oz. bottle poured into Firestone Walker pint glass on 20-Oct-12

Much grapefruit up front and lingering honeydew at finish. Get some pineapple as well. Similar piney front as Just Outstanding, but opposite finish; smooth and flavorful. Wet texture. Bottle notes that the Nelson Sauvign hops are from New Zealand and have a white wine quality to it. I think this very aspect is what draws me to the beer. Crisp and refreshing.
Would and could drink this all day!

A - Hazy, light pale/straw with 2" of white head. Great retention (like a half inch of fluffy white snow) and great lacing.

S - Incredible. A fruit punch of gooseberry, lemon, sweet orange, pineapple, mango, guava, white grapes.

T - Tropical fruits, lemon, sauvignon blanc, wildflower honey.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, layers of flavor hit you all over your tongue. Dry but never bitter in the finish.

O - So different then the typical "west coast IPA" and so welcomed. I could drink this all day.

Carcking open this beer was like coming upon an oasis in the hops desert!

Beautiful clear golden beer! Slight head (wish for a little more).

Smells of a citrus pine forrest! Wonderful bouquet. A bit offputting, worrying that the smell (like coffee) would not be borne out by the actual beer.

Taste: Hoppy heaven. The hop rolls across your tongue, great hop front and amazing finish! Balances the floral hop on a subtle malt backdrop.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth and creamy. A tongue bath of exctasy.

Drinkability: Please Sir, May I have Another?

Nelson, to me, is easily one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I'm a big hop head who loves hop-forward beers. Not only is this beer incredibly well balanced, its fruity characteristics give it that respectable nudge into the elites.

If something terribly wrong occurred where one could only choose one brewery to drink from... Alpine would be the one.

This review is based on a 22oz bomber purchased from brewery and bottled one week prior to drinking. If you want to know what Nelson is supposed to taste like, this is the only clear cut way to do so at this point and time.

This is the only beer in which I cannot find a flaw. Beautiful hazy orange color. Smell of pineapple, citrus and passion fruit bursts out of the glass. It contains a slight smell which you can often sense emanating from the Alpine brewery. Sometimes I like to just stand in the brewery to get a whiff of this intoxicating smell. It's hard to describe but it's great.

The taste follows into the nose perfectly and this has become the best IPA I have ever drank. Tons of fruity hop character but also a slight white wine taste which I have never picked up in any other beer. A few other Alpine beers have this quality and I'm sure it would make the wine drinker happy. At times I feel like I'm drinking a fresh squeezed glass of OJ. The mouth feel on this and all Alpine beers is spot on and in my opinion is what sets these beers apart from the field. Just a touch of hop bitterness and the beer finishes in a way where you immediately want another sip.

I can't say enough about this beer. It disappoints me to often find sub-par versions of Nelson on tap and reviews by those who have not tasted the real deal. Do yourself a favor and pick up a fresh bomber of this beer to see what all the hype is about. Either that or Go To Bed!

A- Clear dark gold with a billowy white head that lasts, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

N- The bouquet of hop aromas is pretty amazing: pungent, resinous, piny, floral, and vinous. There is also sweet grapefruit and a spiciness which I assume is from the rye.

T- Creamy malt sweetness glides over the tongue supported by clean, pungent, piny hops. A luscious spiciness bursts forth in the middle, surrounded by the lingering pungent resins of the hop. Citrus rind and piny bitterness lingers into the aftertaste, accompanied by spicy rye.

M- Smooth creamy mouthfeel with delicate carbonation and a clean bittersweet finish.

D- Insanely drinkable, especially for 7% ABV. This is probably my favorite beer ever. I honestly cannot even imagine how this could be improved upon in any way.

This review is in regards to Alpine's original gangster version and not the GF brewed bottles and or draft editions.

Appearance: opaque, hazy, kind of turbid but a vibrant yellowish gold color with slight orange hues. normal level pour creates a nice medium-ish white soapy, fluffy frothy head. This beer sort of looks like some Heffs.

Aroma: sweet orange juice, white grape notes. Pretty intense smelling tropical fruit blend rounded out with the rye component. Rye is not very detectable but compliments the other strong aromas very well.

Taste: Citrus fruit juice, sweet papaya notes, sweet oranges, the slight slight bitterness is akin to grapefruit rind and pith as opposed to aggressive pine dank super hoppy bitterness. sometimes I get a little bit of awesome lemon flavor too but not in a sour or weird manner. oh, and drinkable as hell. like just simply delicious.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, medium hearty body. very suave and amazing mouthfeel.

Overall: This is not only a SD classic. This beer is a top west coast beer for the ages. Lives up to it's highly coveted reputation.

Wow I cant believe I gave this beer all 5's but I had to it is so amazing!

Pours a golden yellow with a grea fluffy white head.

Smell of mandrian oranges and grapefruit.

The taste is sweet oranges, apricot, and I pick up on something differnt which I think is the rye but Im not sure. You get ever so slight alcohol on the back but it just adds a whole new element.

The mouthfeel is amazing. Super smooth, full, and a dry not not too dry finish.

Epic west coast ipa that I had the pleasure of enjoying 8 days fresh out of a bomber.
Amazing Pine notes and amazingly drinkable although I prefer generally more bitter ipas this is Amazing

4.99/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer is amazing! Depending upon your location this is probably more difficult to get your hands on than Pliny or Heady. Drank fresh at Alpine on draft and brought back a couple of bottles. Don't be fooled by the cloudy pour or hoppy smell, this is one easy to drink beer!

4.99/5  rDev +13.9%

So often these over hyped beers end up being a let down...not this one. This may very well be the best single IPA I've ever had. Nelson is at the forefront of this brew. It is incredibly smooth and balanced. Very easy drinking with its light body. Smell is fantastic. Color is a nice golden hue. Fantastic beer.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

I can remember the first time I tried this beer I hated it. But that was years ago when my mouth thought good beer was Pacifico or Miller High Life. HA!

Fast forward to 2009....

My tastebuds have graduated past basic beer and I am now slowly becoming a hop head.

I stopped by Alpine Beer Co. and decided to go for a growler of Nelson instead of my usual Mandarin Nectar (look it up, good stuff) and was I blown away!

A: Darkish golden and clear. The head was clean and white, 1 to 2 fingers.

S. I wish I could soak my pillow in Nelson Rye IPA and fall asleep to the glorious hop smell I get from this beer! All I get is hops. The aroma is citrus and crisp and does not stop coming!

T: This is where it all happens. The first taste is smooth citrusy piney hops followed by the bitter hop bang. This is soo smooth and the malt is there but just enough to balance the hops out and still leave the beer crisp.

M: Clean, full, refreshing and perfectly carbonated.

D: This one is a drinker. It is getting close to the arbitrary 8% ABV required to become a II IPA but I dont care about titles and groupings, this beer is drinkable despite the highish ABV. It could defiantly catch up with you after a few pints.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Alpine has just started distributing their kegs and I have been lucky enough to be in LA and a frequent customer to the bars where they get Alpine's stuff. This Rye IPA has a very unique hazy and golden color, not typical of other Rye IPAs I've had (Hop Rod, Ruthless). The smell is on point, I can't think of a better nose to a beer that I've ever had (Pliny is up there though). This sets you up for an unbelievable palate pleaser. Very very drinkable (got me into some fun last night) and not something you can burn out on. If you can get your hands on this, it's an unforgettable beer. A top 5 IPA for sure.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Major props to Huhzubendah for sharing this- Thanks Matt!

Review from notes:

Pours a beautiful light, clear, gold color w/ a one finger white head. Very clean and clear in appearance. Some of the best lacing I've seen on any beer.. period... I got grapefruit, citrus, pine, hops and pineapple on this one. Very balanced all around, and one of the nicest IPA's I've had the pleasure of trying. Taste is out of this world, w/ rye, floral tastes, and malt being added to the nose profile. Super smooth and balanced. Feel is super smooth and satisfying- w/ a hops/rye aftertaste. Overall, this is one of the best IPA's I've ever tried. I'd drive hours to get this if I could- Highly recommended! Cheers.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

If you opened your eyes and saw the color of this beer, then closed your eyes and took a sip, for me it was the closest thing to Pliny the Elder that I have seen/tasted. Lighter in color, but full of flavor and almost sweet hops that linger in your mouth well after swallowing. Has the exact same flavor profile and elegance that Pliny has, but I think this one might be even tougher to find. Made with New Zealand hops it has all the flavor of a California IPA that all the “C” hops have.

Excellent beer, can’t wait to get a hold of another.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle shared by Dreadnaught33. Thanks Jonathan!

The beer appears hazy and straw yellow with a nice white head and good lace. The aroma is a wonderful bouquet of hops, grapefruit, and citrus. This beer tastes fabulous. It is very smooth and creamy with minimal bitterness. In the finish lurks a subtle hint of warming alcohol. Highly drinkable and enjoyable. World class.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Fresh bottle received in a recent trade. A truly special beer. Alpine makes several of the best IPAs on the planet.

4.95/5  rDev +13%

his is honestly one of the best I have come across hands down. I knew it would be good, but wow, blown away would be the appropriate term. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this growler was consumed on 05/06/2009.

The pour was phenomenal. Rich light amber in color with an amazing clarity to it. A huge towering head of white on the top that just would not fade at all, really amazing looking with tons of lace and foam just dripping down the sides of the glass. Intense to say the least as the tons of carbonation just rippled up through the glass. Rich, pungent, grapefruit aroma just screams off of this one. So big it could fill the room. Soo fresh, this thing rivals any of the IPA's I have ever had in terms of shear citrus smell. Light notes of pineapple as well, but even as it warmed it maintained the same rich and bright citrus notes throughout. Really just pushing right into the first sip, I honestly can say this had to be the most drinkable thing I have come across in months. It went down like water. Super clean taste with bright grapefruit and pineapple, hints of a subtle and sweet orange note as well. Incredible. I went through a glass without even knowing what was going on, it was just that good. Smooth, subtle and lightly dry in the finish, this was truly heaven on earth for me.

Overall one of the best I have had period, end of story. Go get this one.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Hazy, turbid burnt orange color, like a gem stone glowing in sunlight.
Smell is of sweet rye, and grapefruit.
Taste follows the nose, just much deeper and more satisfying.
Feel is spot on. A little bit of dryness and a little bit creamy.
Overall this is exceptional. The smell wasnt as great as the overall product, but who gives a shit. This is what a rye beer should be. No exceptions.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer was great. Just had my first sculpin a little less than a week ago. Can't remember exactly what rating I gave it, but I think this was slightly better than sculpin imo.

Pours a slightly cloudy orangeish amber with a 2 finger off white head that takes a while to dissipate and leaves some decent lacing down the glass.

Aroma is incredible. Starts with a HUGE wave of tropical fruit - pineapple, mango, passion fruit, and then rounds into a tiny bit if pine with a slight hop bitterness after that. Really amazing aroma.

Taste starts out with a bit of bready malts, then shows a tiny bit of caramel before giving way to big time tropical fruit flavors, the same flavors as in the aroma. Like the smell, those flavors round into a bit of pine, a wave of grapefruit, and finish with a slightly dry hop bitterness that lingers. Delicious.

Probably the best beer I've ever had. This beer makes me wish I lived in cali (even more than russian river does)

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Pours a light tangerine hue with a nice, 1.5 finger frothy white head that leaves decent lacing on the way down.

S- Grassy, Citrus, tons of grapefruit, mixed with light sweet fruits.

T- Bready and a tad spicy that leads into lots of citrus, blood orange, tangerine, grapefruit and has a nice bitter finish.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D- A lot of these new top IPAs (Nelson, Sculpin, etc.) are very similar to pliny in the nose. This was wonderfully complex and balanced and one of the best IPAs i've ever tasted, bar none.

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Very devolving beer appearance wise. very light in color almost like a blonde but the taste packs a delicious bite of hopps. One of the best IPA's I've had. Super refreshing!

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

What can I say that hasnt been said already, this brew is so well balanced and full of amazing grapefruit aroma and amazing clean citrus taste that it lives up to all the hype.
I enjoyed a bomber while we pulled off the road in De Luz Ca for a picnic about an hour away from where this is brewed.

Paired with deviled eggs and microgreens this beer blew us all away. Did I say well balanced? Amazing nose full of nelson grapefruit and nice carbonated bite with a very unique slightly diesely oily overtaste. Hops are the star of the show here with just enough malt to smooth it out. One of my new favorites. We hope to go to the brewery soon and try it off the tap. *** Highly recommended

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Reviewed from notes. Purchased back in 2010 from a recent shipment which had arrived at Hollingshead Deli in Orange so I could confirm it was nice and fresh, and it did not disappoint.

This beer currently edges out the competition for my favorite IPA to date. A great looking golden beer with a bit of haze and solid white head that left a bunch of sticky lacing.

Explosive hop freshness, honestly it has an aroma and flavor profile that I find to be completely unique in the world of IPAs. A crazy combination of super juicy tropical fruit hops with a delicious spicy edge and just enough malt for support to balance things out. Ideal bitterness for my personal tastes. Something about it reminds me of the first Blind Pig I ever had which is the only other beer that I recall having this particular sort of zesty sweet and bitter fruit quality that I have trouble describing. Unfortunately the blind pigs I've had since haven't really had this character for some reason.

Any way you look at it, this beer has an outstandingly good hop profile that just perfectly fits my palate. I'm confident I could identify this beer correctly out of a line up of 10 top IPAs everytime. Alpine makes some damn fine IPAs and this one's my favorite.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company