1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Nelson - Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

(Beer added by: rayjay on 08-14-2006)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,685 | Reviews: 536 | Show All Ratings:
Roguer

Connecticut

4.66/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bright, pale yellow - lemon-colored. Despite the bright appearance, it's thick and pulpy, almost completely opaque. One finger of perfectly white head, quickly fading, leaving nice lacing.

Aroma of grapefruit and sweet lemon. Hint of rye or spice, barest sign of clover honey or flower. Slightly delicate.

Immediately sweet, followed by a noticeable hoppy dryness, and then you're hit with a ton of fruit: ultra-sweet grapefruit, lemon, a hint of rind. The rye comes through in the finish, if at all. Very little malt balance, but still comes across as very smooth.

Alive and bubbly, but still a medium-light feel. You can toss it around with no foaming and no sting, although the carbonation makes you feel its presence. Lovely hop oil residue.

This should be up there with other single-IPA stalwarts such as Jai Alai and Flower Power. It is absurdly juicy, bright, and hoppy, alive, and yet eminently drinkable.

Thanks to JayORear for the trade!

09-16-2013 21:07:28 | More by Roguer
rhinos00

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to JessetheHut for sending this growler my way. Split two ways with BA pecorasc.

A- Looked like dehydrated urine (in a good way). Bright yellow and clear. Left a white fluffy head that was at least two fingers width thick.

S- Sweet Lord baby Jesus! This was so freakin' ridiculous. The nelson sauvin hops gave off huge grape notes that were wonderfully combined with the rye. Honestly this was one of the best smelling beers I have ever come across. There needs to be more beer made with these New Zealand hops.

T- Upfront there was a nice balance between the citrus from the hops and the bitterness from the rye. My only knock on this beers was that the rye seemed to be a tad bit overpowering. The beer finished with a nice spicy flavor. Well done.

M- Nothing to complain about here. Smooth and crisp, very clean.

D- Doesn't get much more drinkable than this. I think the growler was gone in less than 45 minutes between two of us. Great simple flavor with a wonderful feel.

Overall, I would be in huge trouble if I could drink this on a daily basis. My only negative was that I wish there was more hop flavor in this beer. Still, wonderfully crafted and a true delight to drink.

Serving type: growler

05-02-2009 22:56:41 | More by rhinos00
OlieIPA

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Shared by Pehlman...thanks! Poured from a growler into an Alpine Pint glass.

A: Golden in color with a formidable head that dissipated slightly with each gulp. Tried reviving it a few times, but to avail. On the other hand, the lacing...as Tyler put so gently...was "bitchin!".

S: A lot of that musky and wheaty rye smell backed up with a very robust hop backing. Hard to describe, especially since this was my first RPA. I almost pick up some sort of citrus or apricot flavor, but I'm not sure. Basically...incredible!

T: An extremely complex flavor profile that includes a very distinct grain-like taste with leafy and piney hop character. These flavors jell together very well, making this dangerously drinkable beer with a mild bitter finish. Words can't describe the harmony this beer exhibits between being a session beer and an in your face flavor fest. Maybe not the flavor, but the complexity reminds me a lot of Sculpin.

M: Highly carbonated with a nice medium to full body feel.

D: One of the most drinkable beers I've had to date. Extremely flavorful and mild at the same time. Even my dad liked it...and he never likes beer.

Overall: A must try. Perhaps Alpine's finest beer and something that should be treasured by all beer lovers. Cheers!

Serving type: growler

08-02-2009 04:39:59 | More by OlieIPA
popery

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle, home. Alpine night #2. Another day, another fantastic IPA from Alpine. Whereas Duet was a nearly perfect version of what I look for in an IPA, Nelson is unexpected but also world class. This isn't my first encounter with Nelson Sauvin hops, but it's definitely the best use of them that I've tried. The beer smells of orange rinds, wild lilacs, honeysuckle and sweet white grape juice. The flavor is dry, bitter and spicy with rye. The whole package works extremely well. I have no real qualms with this beer, but I wouldn't mind if the rye was a bit stronger. I'd love to try an imperial version of this beer, so get on that Alpine. The mouthfeel has a nice hop oiliness surrounding the duel between hop bite and rye spice. It's an incredibly drinkable beer despite its unusual flavor profile. Alpine has managed to make a combination of rye and Nelson Sauvin hops feel completely natural and I'd love to spend a night with nothing but glasses of Nelson.

03-10-2010 06:21:13 | More by popery
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

As I sit in this 90 degree apartment, I'm thankful for traders like womencantsail who send me boxes of hoppy goodness. Thank you, Andy.

In my Duvel tulip, this beer is _perfect_. Light orange with a dense white head with excellent retention, there's also a ton of lace. This is what an IPA is supposed to look like. It smells absolutely off the chain as well. Clearly Alpine, this has plenty of pine and citrus hop character, but the underlying rye spiciness is a wonderful twist. Ripe tangerines, oranges, a little grapefruit, pine needles and a little grape are all present. I've heard comparisons of the Nelson Sauvin hop to a grape and that is one that works, and beautifully with the rye character. Malt character is non-existent.

The palate opens with a beautiful, suffuse hop character with light bitterness and massive flavor. A veritable fruit basket, there's plenty of citrus and some tropical fruit (pineapple) with a light to moderate grape-character. While there is no sweetness, a light rye character is present, and works very well with the hop character. Drying on the finish, there's a lingering moderate, clean bitterness with a palate coaxing fruit character. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this is perfect for an IPA. Beautiful stuff.

06-02-2010 01:44:47 | More by DefenCorps
slayer3604

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

THIS is probably my favorite beer right now. Just absolutely perfect, and a DIPAs aren't my cup of tea these days...

A-Looks just like an old school unfiltered Hefe from Germany....brilliant hazed gold with plump, sticky white head that never goes way....

S-Pear, mango, spice, zest, citrus this, citrus that, all sorts of sweet amazing malt and hop bukakki all over the place man! Such an awesome nose.

T- As if smelling it wasn't enough, what a great mass of fruit and sauvignon blanc with a nice dabble of bitterness in the end. I wanted to give this aspect a 5.0 but it seems like it drops off pretty sharpish after taking a swig.

M- Creamy and elegant....this CAN'T be a double IPA, right? too smooth and refind. Such a concentration of tropic madness going down. Their choice of rye definitely does it justice and gives it just a tinge of amber in the deepest realms of the appearance.

D-Wish this beer had a little longer finish. Crazy smooth for 7%, and has a lush sexy body to it....MMMM..

10-19-2010 05:50:15 | More by slayer3604
lnashsig

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Augustgarage for this incredible California IPA. Poured into my Dfh tulip glass, pours a beautiful yellow sun color, about 1 finger of head quickly subsides with a little lacing. On the nose, I get sweet grapefruit and a buttery sweet flavor. I love it, this is a unique and wonderful ipa. Unlike any I have ever had. On the first taste, the hoppy goodness hits my palate, followed by grapefruit, and there is that buttery sweet flavor in the back. The nose is so filled with grapefruit that it smells like I am sticking my nose into a glass of ruby red. Mouthfeel- nice, silky, with just enough carbonation. Drinkability- I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and die happy.

I have seen other Ba's talk about this beer, and comment that it was way better than big hyped IPAs like PTE. I really have to agree. This may be one of the best regular IPAs I have had in my 10 yrs of craft beer drinking.

01-16-2011 01:20:55 | More by lnashsig
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks goes out to Sixofsigmas for sending me this one as an extra in a trade a long time back. I just found it sitting in the back of the fridge! Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured a hazy golden yellow-orange with a massively fluffy four finger off-white head that subside to one finger stupidly slow. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pine, citrus, orange, citrus hop, and pot. The flavor was of sweet malt, pine, pine resin, citrus, orange zest, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew completely wowed me. There is really a lot going right for this one overall. One thing to note is the head on this one. HOLY CRAP! It basically formed a pillow over the beer and was borderline solid. You could actually take a bite of it and chew it. It remained this way throughout the entire glass which was awesome. If you noticed that I mentioned getting pot in the aroma, well usually this is out of place, but it seemed to work great with the other aromas going on in this one. The flavor itself was very complex and extremely well balanced. Very nice feel on the palate as well. I would honestly have to say that this might be the best American IPA I have yet to have. Really nice job on this one Alpine!

04-05-2011 14:28:37 | More by thagr81us
spicelab

Australia

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Bomber with big thanks to BdubleEdubleRUN.

Mildly hazed light apricot with a very resilient white head and a vigorous bead. Eventually leaves a curtain of lace around the glass. Looks brilliant.

Smashed passionfruit, pulped grass, compost, kiwi fruit, white grapes, lime sherbet and apricot. Smells almost alive.

Similar flavours joined by a gentle and divine bitterness that doesn't intrude on the hop profile one iota.

Velevety mouthfeel, thanks to amazingly smooth carbonation and bitterness which, although moderate, is so unassuming you almost forget it's there.

Stunningly brewed IPA that demonstrates how making an outstanding beer is not about more, nor about less, but about zeroing in on that elusive 'just-rightness'.

03-03-2012 05:53:58 | More by spicelab
Trilogy31

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow what a great beer, pours two fingers of head and almost comes out with a mercury metallic hue when pouring, settles to a caramel orange in the glass. Nose is just full of citrus and tropical fruits and white wine with a touch of piney hops. Taste is a complex blend of candied citrus rind, bitter papaya, orange mango juice and some dark rye bread with a touch of sauv blanc notes at the end with the requisite ipa finish. Sculpin might have been dethroned in my book gorgeous beer.

04-10-2011 03:08:21 | More by Trilogy31
mbudner

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass.

A- Very interesting how much the color varies from the thinner part of the glass to the part that bubbles out. Very light, apple juice-like, faint golden color to a darker orange (huge gradient variance.) The head is that white, frothy, yet bubbly head that looks like the most comfortable and delicious pillow in the world. The closest thing I can equate the head to is Pliny the elder.

S- Flowers, bubble gum, orange, sweet lemon, bitter spice from the rye. So much going on the in the aroma. It is really just perfect. Bready malts.

T- Mildly citrusy and heavily floral hop profile. I also get a little bit of the bubblegum from the aroma (the taste is of juicy fruit.) Slight piney-ness in the bitter finish. The finish is nice and bready. Ever so slight spicy flavor from the rye really differentiates this (among other things) from some of the other great IPAs out there, very unique.

M- Slightly (very slightly) under-carbonated. Nice slick, oily hop feel with a great amount of body.

D- Really amazing. I could drink this all day and all night. It smells like something I could only dream of an IPA smelling like Deceptively drinkable for 7.1%abv, but if it was 2% I would still want it all night (same if it was 20%.) This is simply a really phenomenal IPA.

12-21-2009 22:52:38 | More by mbudner
DoubleJ

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Alpine Beer on draft, now I know I'm not in Orange County anymore. On-tap at Hamilton's Tavern, on to the beer.

Poured with almost no head on top, color is a lighter shade of orange. But this beer is not about the look, it's about the taste. But first, the aroma. It's like a juicy passionfruit hit you in the nose, along with assorted melons. And it tastes even better. It's not an "in your face" type of IPA. In fact, it's rather relaxed as it grabs the senses of your palate. Genereous amounts of passionfruit, mangoes, and melons play together to create a beer doesn't go bitter, weigh you down, or smack your face with boooze. A little spice from the rye keeps things rolling.

Alpine has done a 180 on me. I didn't have fun with Duet IPA, but Nelson could be my new favorite "single" IPA. In fact, I liked it so much, I did two pints of it, something I rarely do with the same beer at a place with so many great options. Even my friend who doesn't like hoppy beer wanted a pint of his own. Get this without hesitation.

05-06-2010 02:23:45 | More by DoubleJ
DovaliHops

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Snow white head with a caramel-orangish color. The nose on this beer is GREAT! Smells like an amazing west coast ipa, with maybe a hint more maltiness than usual. Sweet malts and florally citrus hops.Taste time! Wow, this is one smooth ipa. The hops are very well balanced making this beer not overwhelmingly bitter. Somewhat of a melon-honey like taste to it. Amazing taste! I would definitely drink this beer again. Unfortunately for me it's not available to buy here. Sad face.

05-13-2010 06:22:06 | More by DovaliHops
seeswo

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a yellowish-golden color with a nice whitish head. The nose is intoxicating. A light pine is lifted by a delightful citrus array of grapefruit and orange. Wow. Delicious (I rarely give 5's for any category). The taste is really good as well. A light spicy bitterness, grassy with just a touch of pine and citrus. It brings the wood like the nose. Yum. The mouthfeel is medium with a medium light carbonation. I always have felt that I like Duet better, but this fresh batch of Nelson is fantastic. [EDIT: Had this beer like a million times since and this is one of my favorite all time beers]

09-15-2011 02:07:13 | More by seeswo
bennetj17

Arizona

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Went all the way to San Diego but the only Alpine IPA I could get my hands on was one bottle of Nelson, and it was a good one. I had it once before and I realized it must not have been so fresh, because this one was amazing.

Very clear appearance, more on the lighter/golden side for an IPA. The white foam is immense and lasts nicely. What an intense hop bouquet. It's very bright with clean pine notes and a heavenly floral pungence. Like I'm wandering through a fresh meadow bursting with spring aroma.

The smell leads me to believe I'm in for a shock, but actually the flavor is more subtle than expected. The malt is very clean with a Pilsner-esque crispness, allowing the bright hops to shine through. It's alot like Pure Hoppiness but with a different hop twist. So good, and not overdone. I can't believe how drinkable this is.

All I can say is I highly recommend this. Next time I travel to Alpine I hope all the stores won't be sold out again, but now I understand why...

11-09-2011 05:35:25 | More by bennetj17
dlello2

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle sent by ScottO. Reportedly less than a week old!

This was a fantastic beer. Perfect shimmering orange appearance with a nice couple of fingers of head. The smell erupted from the glass with tons of tropical fruit deliciousness. Mango, pineapple, citrus. Truly fantastic aroma. The taste followed the nose almost perfectly, perhaps I've found my new favorite hop. The balance was near perfect with just the right amount of lingering bitterness. Part of me wants to say that I'd have liked a bit less sweetness, but another part of me thinks this beer needs it! Overall the aroma was the winner for me with this one--will definitely seek it out again.

02-18-2013 22:00:04 | More by dlello2
tectactoe

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Huge thanks to Mike for splitting this with me - one that I've been dying to try. Nelson pours a murky golden and somewhat orange-ish color. Super hazy and amazingly unfiltered, it looks something like lighter-toned apple cider. Surprisingly little head for an IPA, and it looks a bit thick during the pour, but the yeasty haze is strangely compelling.

Alpine Nelson smells like the West Coast; wall-to-wall tropical fruits that immediately pummel your nostrils as the beer nears your face. Pineapple, mango, and a very large helping of oranges and/or tangerines. It almost has a "juice" vibe too it, and even begins to draw some similarities to Pliny the Elder.

The Nelson hops have a very nice, bursting wet and weedy aroma to them. Fresh, vibrant, and bright, exploding with savory leafiness and a mild twinge of bitterness alongside their wonderful tropical fruit inclusions. Not much malt (or rye, for that matter) in the aroma. This one is clearly all about the hops.

The flavor is just as "West Coast" as the aroma; again, just bursting through with a wonderful fruit profile. More pineapples and a gushing display of tangerines. The leafy side of the hops are more amplified on the palate, coming to life with a nice pungency; weedy, wet, grassy, with a beautiful sustaining bitterness.

Some slight onion-y flavors get tossed about; typically not a flavor I'm fond of in my beer, but it's light enough here to provide another layer of complexity rather than get in the way or distract. I finally get some rye in the finish, adding a nice dryness and the lightest touch of spice in the finale. Not as heavy on the palate as it appeared; slick, oily, and lightly carbonated.

Wow, this stuff went down like nothing. It was like drinking juice with some hops mixed in. Beautiful display of the Nelson hop and what it's capable of. Huge tropical fruit aromas and flavors make this sucker incredibly easy to drink. This is something you could crush just drinking outside on a hot day. Another staple in the already larger-than-life portfolio of West Coast IPAs.

06-27-2013 15:54:38 | More by tectactoe
chugalug06

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome white foamy head. Fluffy white head has great retention and nearly perfect lacing. Brew is light orange with lots of light yellows, moderately clear.

Very light and pleasant aroma. Apricots galore, light pineapple, almost like tropical fruit bubblegum. Very light, yet distinguished.

Light, creamy, full flavors, easy drinking, prickly-silk carbonation, well blended. Sweetness is non-existent same with bitterness. Bitterness starts in then is overwhelmed by creamy smoothness. Orange, pineapple, apricot, bready, oats.

Super drinkability, a fantastic offering from Alpine. As smooth of an IPA as I've ever had. Missing slightly with the aroma and slightly deeper flavors. A awesome brew nonetheless. Highly recommended!!!

09-30-2013 01:11:24 | More by chugalug06
Mauerhan

One of my last bottles.

Pours a crystal clear golden straw color into my glass with an abundant one and a half finger head that leaves sheets of lacing down the sides of the glass. constant stream of bubbles stick in there as I continue the beer.

Smell is fantastic. Very fruity hop aroma. Grapefruit rind, tangerine and lemon. I also get a kick out of the rye in there. It seems to balance out the sweetness from the fruity Nelson hops.

Taste is great. I have to give it to the folks down at alpine. They know how to make a killer IPA. Big assault of hops on my palate to start it off. They follow suit with the smell. Big and fruity. Great malt backbone and a nice bite from the rye.

Leaves a touch of a drying quality in the mouth. otherwise this beer is gone in a matter of minutes.

I love me some Alpine. I would love them more if it was shorter than two hours to drive there for some more.

11-04-2009 23:47:06 | More by Mauerhan
thedindaniel

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This and Duet have become two of my favorite IPA's and definitely the best bang for your buck.

Pours light gold and slightly hazy with a nice amount of light foamy head. I love how the Nelson sauvignon hops smell, they're distinct and the rye definitely gives off a bit of grassy-summery aromas. The taste is pure citrusy bitterness with a perfect dry malt after taste. Once again, the nelson hops have a certain uniqueness to them, I've only had them in one other beer (Karl Strauss Big Barrel but the hop makes its presence felt.)The beer is very smooth, clean and crisp. This beer is very easy to drink but I don't know if rye is for everyone. Great west-coast IPA and another feather in Alpine's IPA hat.

02-17-2010 04:50:32 | More by thedindaniel
FUNKPhD

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been lucky enough to have this beer a few occasions, so I felt that it was time to review.

Pours out with a nice honey color, with the aroma of hops and citrus being noticed immediately. Gives a nice two finger head that sticks around for while before an appearance of descending. Hops are at the forefront, quickly followed by citrus, giving it a very satisfying grapefruit taste. Nelson leaves a nice extended stay tingle in the mouth, a very welcome guest.

Overall, this is a most excellent example of a double IPA done right. Unfortunately for me, its not readily available in my area, so feel blessed if it sits on your beer station's shelves.

08-31-2011 00:37:21 | More by FUNKPhD
jdhende

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Brandon for this one.

A: Clear golden orange appearance

S: Great hop character. Grapefruit, lemon and orange aromas all hit my nose.

T: This IPA is just fantastic. The Rye is a really nice touch. After drinking this I'm a full on believer in Nelson Sauvin hops. Great Grapefruit notes just like in the nose.

M: Medium bodied with a cream texture.

O: Really complex and really drinkable. This is a really unique beer that I am really grateful for having the chance to try.

12-29-2011 02:19:59 | More by jdhende
yamar68

4.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to quirkzoo for this one!

Hazy honey golden body, tons and tons of beading, dense milky finger of paper white head leaves tremendous gobs of lacing.

Hops explode from this beer... syrupy mango/citric sweetness gives my nose an orgasm. So intense, massive stuff. Faint spicy herbal qualities, fresh oranges, just delightful I think. Grapefruit bitterness evolves as it warms.

Incredibly thick tropical fruit, definite Sour Diesel flavors are everywhere, pleasant bitterness transitions into a clean, thirst quenching finish.

Overall, I can see why this beer is so highly sought after. I could drink only this beer everyday for the rest of my life and die happy.

10-15-2012 23:55:00 | More by yamar68
LegalBrew87

4.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Super gold and pale for an IPA...Almost neon yellow.

S: I definitely get some citrus-fruit flavors, some sauvingon fruit flavor, and the smallest bit of spicy malt. This is just in-your-face Nelson hops.

T: Taste follows the nose in the best way possible. Juicy citrus, some tropical flavors, savignon blanc, and even slightly oaky/spicy on the back end. Starts off almost candy sweet and ends with sharp, lingering bitterness.

M: Really dry and crisp. Slightly thin for an IPA.

O: A fantastic IPA that is almost like nothing else available.

11-23-2012 19:12:25 | More by LegalBrew87
SweetNessa34

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

[SOURCE]: On-Tap at BluePalmsBrewHouse. Served on the day of arrival (4/9/09) shortly after tapping

[SERVING TYPE]: Pint Glass

[SMELL]: Amazing "nose" - packed full with a potent bouquet of fresh, lightly fruity hops combined with a crisp Rye aroma- jumps out at you from this super pale white/gold ale.

[APPEARANCE]: Super pale white/gold ale + light white, fluffy head

[TASTE]: Bold, dynamic combination of assertive flavors is almost startling in comparison to the super pale, light appearance. Clean, crisp Rye intermingles with a heavy dose of super fresh, slightly fruity hops and is balanced by a very minimal malt back - for an incredibly light, fresh and flavorful overall

[DRINKABILITY]: Intense combination of hops and rye flavors are very well balanced with minimal malt back. Thus, the overall result is a very drinkable beer that is light, fresh and jam packed with flavor + aroma.

[OVERALL]: very drinkable, extremely fresh-flavored RIPA (especially when poured shortly after tapping)

04-20-2009 07:05:19 | More by SweetNessa34