Nelson - Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Wants: 1,408
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: OStrungT on 08-11-2006

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB
Ratings: 3,005 | Reviews: 661

Hoppy, cloudy. I don't discern any citrus. Excellent beer

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Pint Defiance in Tacoma WA. Impressed they got this stuff in the area.

Beer is damn tasty. A lighter color than I would imagine but with Rye IPA it fits. Solid taste. Not too happy but well balanced.

Stoked to have tried this locally. Attempted and failed at the brewery in San Diego. Small place that has awesome brews.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received this one on a trade. Just in time to try to drink on a cold snowy night. I don't know why but I felt this strong compulsion to put on Pet Sounds, by the Beach Boys. Hmmm...

Appearance: Light golden straw yellow. Hazy in color reminds me a lot of another beer I have had. Can't recall.

Aroma: Very fruity, Fruity Pebbles aroma. Reminds me a lot of several beers I have had recently, this one reminds me a lot of Pseudosue. I don't know if Nelson Sauvin hops are a dominant hop in Psue or not, but the fruity vinous notes are definitely there. This is not your typical resinous, dank, earthy hop forward IPA that you are used to from CA. I think that is a good distraction.

Taste: Very light and delicate but does have a bitterness to it you would not expect. Almost like a light grapefruit or perhaps some other fruit note in there. This beer really does remind me of a lighter version of Psue in the taste. I kind of like the taste notes but with the less dominant sweet thick mouthfeel. I like how this one is more crisp and clean.

Overall: Very well made beer I am glad I got to try this one. It reminds me a lot in taste and aroma of several others but the clean lighter mouthfeel is what kicks it off for me!

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

Alpine Beer on draft, now I know I'm not in Orange County anymore. On-tap at Hamilton's Tavern, on to the beer.

Poured with almost no head on top, color is a lighter shade of orange. But this beer is not about the look, it's about the taste. But first, the aroma. It's like a juicy passionfruit hit you in the nose, along with assorted melons. And it tastes even better. It's not an "in your face" type of IPA. In fact, it's rather relaxed as it grabs the senses of your palate. Genereous amounts of passionfruit, mangoes, and melons play together to create a beer doesn't go bitter, weigh you down, or smack your face with boooze. A little spice from the rye keeps things rolling.

Alpine has done a 180 on me. I didn't have fun with Duet IPA, but Nelson could be my new favorite "single" IPA. In fact, I liked it so much, I did two pints of it, something I rarely do with the same beer at a place with so many great options. Even my friend who doesn't like hoppy beer wanted a pint of his own. Get this without hesitation.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

Split a bomber with my good friend and roommate, JustinA1.

Served in a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Lightly hazed and very pale; body is predominantly gold-colored but shows mild shades of orange as well. A thin, white film sits atop, surrounded by a sudsy, white crown. Each sip leaves a new layer of spotty lacing on the walls of the glass. Other than the body looking pretty dull, I'm happy with Nelson's appearance.

Smell: Candied orange, white peach, passion fruit, pear, and honey all combine to form a wonderfully soft and fruity aroma. Herbal notes still shine through though, adding a nice sort of dankness. Really diggin' this!

Taste: Grapefruit, honeydew melon, pear, and herbal piney bitterness. The bottle describes white wine characteristics - I can see that. A nutty, bready, even oaty malt profile hangs right in there with the hop half - fantastic balance! With time, the white peach I found in the aroma makes its way into the taste as well. Wonderfully complex and unique, and not over-hopped like most west coast IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light in body with fine, moderate strength carbonation. Doesn't finish as dry as most IPAs, though I think that extra residual sweetness allows the soft fruit flavors to really stand out. Far from intense, this one's pretty easy on the palate.

Drinkability: Oh hell yeah! The light body and delicate balance make this IPA extremely sessionable. No palate-wrecking here. Delightfully complex and suitable for any craft beer lover. Nelson is a truly beautiful IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at Craft and Commerce in SD. Pours a bright, yet hazy, straw color with 1/2 inch of fine bubbled head that stood up well into the beer. Nose is dominated by slightly tart citrus notes and pine with biscuity malt backing. The taste is more malt than the nose would lead one to believe but the balance was beautiful as the tart citrus flavor was wonderful. Creamy mouth feel. Love this beer - the hype is well deserved.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to HopHead84 for sending me a month old bottle of this nectar to me.

A-Lightly hazed, pale golden copper with a thick, pillowy, off-white head that holds on strong. Head reduces a bit and leaves chunky clumps of lace behind.

S-Intoxicating aroma of spicy orange, grapefruit and a touch of pine resin as well. Malt sweetness is light and subdued letting the beauty of the Nelson Sauvin hops take center stage!

T-Hop character not quite as strong on the palate as in the aroma. More spiciness comes through thanks to the rye malt addition. Nonetheless, sharp, bitter orange rind and tangy grapefruit combine with light, sweet biscuit malt to form a delicious nectar! Touch of spicy dryness in the finish.

M-Medium-light bodied, sharp and crisp with good lingering hop bite and spicy flavours.

D-Well, I am a sucker for Nelson Sauvin hops and for most beers made by Alpine Beer Company so I didn't doubt that this one would be a winner. In reality I feel it exceeded my expectations. A truly delicious brew. I hear a growler of this is coming my way too, Woo-hoo!

Poured into a Bruery Tulip

A: Wow, beautiful gold color. The bottle says golden IPA, and it lives up to the description. Big, fine white head, dissapates fast, and leaves lacing down the glass like I've rarely seen. Faint haze.

S: Juicy, tropical, floral, faintly grapey...instantly got my mouth watering in anticipation. A winey/Sauvignon Blanc aroma opens up along with tangerine and candied lemon zest. It's really too much for words. The best aroma from an IPA I've experienced yet.

T:The flavor nearly lives up to the aroma. Loads of guava, cherimoya, spicy honey, citrus. Hop bliss in a glass, with a clean bitterness and just enough malty sweetness to leave a pleasant counter to the lingering hop bitterness. This beer tastes almost as good as it smell, and finishes almost too cleanly. The rye comes through more as it warms, and the sweetness comes to the fore on the finish, so it's best to drink this one before it gets too warm, but it's so good, it's a shame to drink it too fast.

M: Medium-light body, faint carbonation, I would like it a bit higher. There's a slight oily feel, which I kind of expect from a beer with this much hop presence.

O-This is an utterly fantastic beer, and as stoked as I was to have found it, I was still blown away. My only real complaint is that I know I won't find it next time I look for it, and the drive down south will surely become more and more tempting as time goes by. If I was able to drink it on a more regular basis it would be fast favorite.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Agitated the bottle to stir up the yeast. Poured into a pint glass, smooth pour nets a small white one inch head over a slightly hazy gold orange body. Average retention and beautiful curtains of lacing.

Tropical fruit and citrus busting at the seams. Doesn't fill the room like some other IPAs but it's so exotic and inviting. Spicy and dry grains, floral grapefruit with mango, soft apricot and ripe papaya.

Malts leave a very indistinguishable profile, slightly bready and simple, hops are grapefruit, lemon pith with some pine backing and bright, a shift from the tropical and floral aroma but excellent. Finish is drying and a bit spicy from the rye.

Mouthfeel is perfect, medium-light body with adequate carbonation that is a smooth drink, just as smooth as Duet without any noticable alcohol. Finishes bone dry, and peppery with just a bit of stick.

Amazing IPA, aroma is only matched by the likes of Sculpin and Double Sunshine while the flavor is integrated well, a balance of hops and malt that's ideally drinkable. Alpine knocked it out of the park with this beer. A must try.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Huge thanks to Mike for splitting this with me - one that I've been dying to try. Nelson pours a murky golden and somewhat orange-ish color. Super hazy and amazingly unfiltered, it looks something like lighter-toned apple cider. Surprisingly little head for an IPA, and it looks a bit thick during the pour, but the yeasty haze is strangely compelling.

Alpine Nelson smells like the West Coast; wall-to-wall tropical fruits that immediately pummel your nostrils as the beer nears your face. Pineapple, mango, and a very large helping of oranges and/or tangerines. It almost has a "juice" vibe too it, and even begins to draw some similarities to Pliny the Elder.

The Nelson hops have a very nice, bursting wet and weedy aroma to them. Fresh, vibrant, and bright, exploding with savory leafiness and a mild twinge of bitterness alongside their wonderful tropical fruit inclusions. Not much malt (or rye, for that matter) in the aroma. This one is clearly all about the hops.

The flavor is just as "West Coast" as the aroma; again, just bursting through with a wonderful fruit profile. More pineapples and a gushing display of tangerines. The leafy side of the hops are more amplified on the palate, coming to life with a nice pungency; weedy, wet, grassy, with a beautiful sustaining bitterness.

Some slight onion-y flavors get tossed about; typically not a flavor I'm fond of in my beer, but it's light enough here to provide another layer of complexity rather than get in the way or distract. I finally get some rye in the finish, adding a nice dryness and the lightest touch of spice in the finale. Not as heavy on the palate as it appeared; slick, oily, and lightly carbonated.

Wow, this stuff went down like nothing. It was like drinking juice with some hops mixed in. Beautiful display of the Nelson hop and what it's capable of. Huge tropical fruit aromas and flavors make this sucker incredibly easy to drink. This is something you could crush just drinking outside on a hot day. Another staple in the already larger-than-life portfolio of West Coast IPAs.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Big thanks goes out to Sixofsigmas for sending me this one as an extra in a trade a long time back. I just found it sitting in the back of the fridge! Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured a hazy golden yellow-orange with a massively fluffy four finger off-white head that subside to one finger stupidly slow. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pine, citrus, orange, citrus hop, and pot. The flavor was of sweet malt, pine, pine resin, citrus, orange zest, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew completely wowed me. There is really a lot going right for this one overall. One thing to note is the head on this one. HOLY CRAP! It basically formed a pillow over the beer and was borderline solid. You could actually take a bite of it and chew it. It remained this way throughout the entire glass which was awesome. If you noticed that I mentioned getting pot in the aroma, well usually this is out of place, but it seemed to work great with the other aromas going on in this one. The flavor itself was very complex and extremely well balanced. Very nice feel on the palate as well. I would honestly have to say that this might be the best American IPA I have yet to have. Really nice job on this one Alpine!

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Bomber with big thanks to BdubleEdubleRUN.

Mildly hazed light apricot with a very resilient white head and a vigorous bead. Eventually leaves a curtain of lace around the glass. Looks brilliant.

Smashed passionfruit, pulped grass, compost, kiwi fruit, white grapes, lime sherbet and apricot. Smells almost alive.

Similar flavours joined by a gentle and divine bitterness that doesn't intrude on the hop profile one iota.

Velevety mouthfeel, thanks to amazingly smooth carbonation and bitterness which, although moderate, is so unassuming you almost forget it's there.

Stunningly brewed IPA that demonstrates how making an outstanding beer is not about more, nor about less, but about zeroing in on that elusive 'just-rightness'.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

As I sit in this 90 degree apartment, I'm thankful for traders like womencantsail who send me boxes of hoppy goodness. Thank you, Andy.

In my Duvel tulip, this beer is _perfect_. Light orange with a dense white head with excellent retention, there's also a ton of lace. This is what an IPA is supposed to look like. It smells absolutely off the chain as well. Clearly Alpine, this has plenty of pine and citrus hop character, but the underlying rye spiciness is a wonderful twist. Ripe tangerines, oranges, a little grapefruit, pine needles and a little grape are all present. I've heard comparisons of the Nelson Sauvin hop to a grape and that is one that works, and beautifully with the rye character. Malt character is non-existent.

The palate opens with a beautiful, suffuse hop character with light bitterness and massive flavor. A veritable fruit basket, there's plenty of citrus and some tropical fruit (pineapple) with a light to moderate grape-character. While there is no sweetness, a light rye character is present, and works very well with the hop character. Drying on the finish, there's a lingering moderate, clean bitterness with a palate coaxing fruit character. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this is perfect for an IPA. Beautiful stuff.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Overall this beer was awesome small hints of alcohol but not overpowering! It pours a cloudy golden orange with a white head. Lots of hops and pines in the aroma. The taste is fruity with hints of pineapple, peaches and citrus. The aftertaste is strong and dry.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to Augustgarage for this incredible California IPA. Poured into my Dfh tulip glass, pours a beautiful yellow sun color, about 1 finger of head quickly subsides with a little lacing. On the nose, I get sweet grapefruit and a buttery sweet flavor. I love it, this is a unique and wonderful ipa. Unlike any I have ever had. On the first taste, the hoppy goodness hits my palate, followed by grapefruit, and there is that buttery sweet flavor in the back. The nose is so filled with grapefruit that it smells like I am sticking my nose into a glass of ruby red. Mouthfeel- nice, silky, with just enough carbonation. Drinkability- I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and die happy.

I have seen other Ba's talk about this beer, and comment that it was way better than big hyped IPAs like PTE. I really have to agree. This may be one of the best regular IPAs I have had in my 10 yrs of craft beer drinking.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm having a Nicholas Cage moment in Leaving Las Vegas. While I'm not on a bender destined to succumb myself in alcohol poisoning, each sip of this magnificent beer has me calling out for a nurse. I'm worried my neighbors may think I've gone mad. I don't even know where to begin, it's so unbelievable. First off, the pour on Nelson is beyond reproach; only rivaled by Heady Topper. Brilliant orange, super cloudy, spotty lacing. Very excellent head retention. The nose has hints of white wine from the use of Nelson Sauvin hops, and is backed by tons of citrus. Taste follows with grapefruit and pineapple. So freaking balanced I can barely stand it, as if that isn't an oxymoron in itself. The mouthfeel is creamy as ever, and I can't stop smacking my lips. I never thought I would enjoy a rye IPA so much. This is a world-class, must try beer, especially for people like me, who primarily drink IPAs. Those who have access to this on a regular basis should consider themselves extremely lucky. Hard to find a flaw. JUST WOW!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome white foamy head. Fluffy white head has great retention and nearly perfect lacing. Brew is light orange with lots of light yellows, moderately clear.

Very light and pleasant aroma. Apricots galore, light pineapple, almost like tropical fruit bubblegum. Very light, yet distinguished.

Light, creamy, full flavors, easy drinking, prickly-silk carbonation, well blended. Sweetness is non-existent same with bitterness. Bitterness starts in then is overwhelmed by creamy smoothness. Orange, pineapple, apricot, bready, oats.

Super drinkability, a fantastic offering from Alpine. As smooth of an IPA as I've ever had. Missing slightly with the aroma and slightly deeper flavors. A awesome brew nonetheless. Highly recommended!!!

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Shared by Pehlman...thanks! Poured from a growler into an Alpine Pint glass.

A: Golden in color with a formidable head that dissipated slightly with each gulp. Tried reviving it a few times, but to avail. On the other hand, the lacing...as Tyler put so gently...was "bitchin!".

S: A lot of that musky and wheaty rye smell backed up with a very robust hop backing. Hard to describe, especially since this was my first RPA. I almost pick up some sort of citrus or apricot flavor, but I'm not sure. Basically...incredible!

T: An extremely complex flavor profile that includes a very distinct grain-like taste with leafy and piney hop character. These flavors jell together very well, making this dangerously drinkable beer with a mild bitter finish. Words can't describe the harmony this beer exhibits between being a session beer and an in your face flavor fest. Maybe not the flavor, but the complexity reminds me a lot of Sculpin.

M: Highly carbonated with a nice medium to full body feel.

D: One of the most drinkable beers I've had to date. Extremely flavorful and mild at the same time. Even my dad liked it...and he never likes beer.

Overall: A must try. Perhaps Alpine's finest beer and something that should be treasured by all beer lovers. Cheers!

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to JessetheHut for sending this growler my way. Split two ways with BA pecorasc.

A- Looked like dehydrated urine (in a good way). Bright yellow and clear. Left a white fluffy head that was at least two fingers width thick.

S- Sweet Lord baby Jesus! This was so freakin' ridiculous. The nelson sauvin hops gave off huge grape notes that were wonderfully combined with the rye. Honestly this was one of the best smelling beers I have ever come across. There needs to be more beer made with these New Zealand hops.

T- Upfront there was a nice balance between the citrus from the hops and the bitterness from the rye. My only knock on this beers was that the rye seemed to be a tad bit overpowering. The beer finished with a nice spicy flavor. Well done.

M- Nothing to complain about here. Smooth and crisp, very clean.

D- Doesn't get much more drinkable than this. I think the growler was gone in less than 45 minutes between two of us. Great simple flavor with a wonderful feel.

Overall, I would be in huge trouble if I could drink this on a daily basis. My only negative was that I wish there was more hop flavor in this beer. Still, wonderfully crafted and a true delight to drink.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle, home. Alpine night #2. Another day, another fantastic IPA from Alpine. Whereas Duet was a nearly perfect version of what I look for in an IPA, Nelson is unexpected but also world class. This isn't my first encounter with Nelson Sauvin hops, but it's definitely the best use of them that I've tried. The beer smells of orange rinds, wild lilacs, honeysuckle and sweet white grape juice. The flavor is dry, bitter and spicy with rye. The whole package works extremely well. I have no real qualms with this beer, but I wouldn't mind if the rye was a bit stronger. I'd love to try an imperial version of this beer, so get on that Alpine. The mouthfeel has a nice hop oiliness surrounding the duel between hop bite and rye spice. It's an incredibly drinkable beer despite its unusual flavor profile. Alpine has managed to make a combination of rye and Nelson Sauvin hops feel completely natural and I'd love to spend a night with nothing but glasses of Nelson.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is a bright, but cloudy sun golden yellow that pours a lemon shaving colored head.

Smell is wonderful, immediate bombardment with grapefruit and tropical aromas.

Tastes just as wonderful as this smells, fresh grapefruit, slight malt on the backend, love me some Nelson Sauvin hops.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and tropical.

Overall an outstanding IPA, definitely in my top favs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to quirkzoo for this one!

Hazy honey golden body, tons and tons of beading, dense milky finger of paper white head leaves tremendous gobs of lacing.

Hops explode from this beer... syrupy mango/citric sweetness gives my nose an orgasm. So intense, massive stuff. Faint spicy herbal qualities, fresh oranges, just delightful I think. Grapefruit bitterness evolves as it warms.

Incredibly thick tropical fruit, definite Sour Diesel flavors are everywhere, pleasant bitterness transitions into a clean, thirst quenching finish.

Overall, I can see why this beer is so highly sought after. I could drink only this beer everyday for the rest of my life and die happy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Brandon for this one.

A: Clear golden orange appearance

S: Great hop character. Grapefruit, lemon and orange aromas all hit my nose.

T: This IPA is just fantastic. The Rye is a really nice touch. After drinking this I'm a full on believer in Nelson Sauvin hops. Great Grapefruit notes just like in the nose.

M: Medium bodied with a cream texture.

O: Really complex and really drinkable. This is a really unique beer that I am really grateful for having the chance to try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been lucky enough to have this beer a few occasions, so I felt that it was time to review.

Pours out with a nice honey color, with the aroma of hops and citrus being noticed immediately. Gives a nice two finger head that sticks around for while before an appearance of descending. Hops are at the forefront, quickly followed by citrus, giving it a very satisfying grapefruit taste. Nelson leaves a nice extended stay tingle in the mouth, a very welcome guest.

Overall, this is a most excellent example of a double IPA done right. Unfortunately for me, its not readily available in my area, so feel blessed if it sits on your beer station's shelves.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

THIS is probably my favorite beer right now. Just absolutely perfect, and a DIPAs aren't my cup of tea these days...

A-Looks just like an old school unfiltered Hefe from Germany....brilliant hazed gold with plump, sticky white head that never goes way....

S-Pear, mango, spice, zest, citrus this, citrus that, all sorts of sweet amazing malt and hop bukakki all over the place man! Such an awesome nose.

T- As if smelling it wasn't enough, what a great mass of fruit and sauvignon blanc with a nice dabble of bitterness in the end. I wanted to give this aspect a 5.0 but it seems like it drops off pretty sharpish after taking a swig.

M- Creamy and elegant....this CAN'T be a double IPA, right? too smooth and refind. Such a concentration of tropic madness going down. Their choice of rye definitely does it justice and gives it just a tinge of amber in the deepest realms of the appearance.

D-Wish this beer had a little longer finish. Crazy smooth for 7%, and has a lush sexy body to it....MMMM..

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company