Nelson - Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Wants: 1,290
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

(Beer added by: rayjay on 08-14-2006)

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%

The color is an unimpressive murky golf with a contrasting white head. What is impressive is the spider web of lacing.

Great aromatics... White grapes, grapefruit, and peach with a bready malt.

Delicious citrus hop profile showcases orange, grapefruit, and white grapes. There's a nice rye malt finish but is more bready than peppery.

Mouthfeel is clean and sticky but that sticky gives way to a lingering dryness.

This is a fantastic beer that does a great job showcasing the hops.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to JayORear for the surprise bottle. Split with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Perfectly clear light gold. A slight haze after the last bit of the pour. Head is white and pillowy. Creamy and thick. Drops to a small spotty head with a slightly larger collar. Some small spots and streaks of lacing. Not what I was expecting to see, but that's because I didn't really know what this thing was.

Smell: Grapefruit. Loaded with grapefruit flesh, fresh juice, and rind. Deeply floral with a solid earthiness. Slight backing spiciness with a light, slightly sweet malt backbone. Sweet candied hops. Pine resin. Peaches. Mango. Very tropical and dank, but sweet. Cotton candy. Bright white wine as it warms.

Taste: Tropical fruit explosion. Mango and peaches. Juicy ripe fruit. Malts are light and bready. Slight hint of rye spiciness that I would miss and chalk up to hops if the bottle hadn't alerted me to it. Hops run the gamut. Earthy and herbal with a slightly damp earthiness. Lingering mild bitterness. Some oily pine as it warms. Some bubblegum/cotton candy, but it's more tropical. Nice backing spiciness as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that runs on the lighter side. Average moderate carbonation with a juicy feel up front. Finishes relatively clean, but slightly dry.

Overall: Ha ha!

A ryePA that doesn't go too far with a super awesome hop variety? Yeah, this wins and wins hard. Incredibly drinkable with a crazy amount of flavor. Never gets abrasive. Seriously, why can't I get more of this?

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Wow I cant believe I gave this beer all 5's but I had to it is so amazing!

Pours a golden yellow with a grea fluffy white head.

Smell of mandrian oranges and grapefruit.

The taste is sweet oranges, apricot, and I pick up on something differnt which I think is the rye but Im not sure. You get ever so slight alcohol on the back but it just adds a whole new element.

The mouthfeel is amazing. Super smooth, full, and a dry not not too dry finish.

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

My 2nd Alpine brew here... Pure Hoppiness was good so let's give this one a try...

Pours brilliantly into my SA glass... Light golden with a huge fluffy head and lots of carbonation... Lots of lacing as well..

Spicy piney aromas right up front and they are pungent... This is terrifically floral as well.. The rye used gives this a sharp peppery kick as well...a touch of booze as well... This is quite nice... Seems more aromatic than the Pure I had a few days ago...this smells world class to me...

Very vibrant feeling with each sip... I can definitely pick up the white wine aspects of the Nelson hop here... Very fruity and citrusy... This is delicious... Its hoppy as hell in an unconventional way, I guess... I'm loving the profile of this hop... Almost light and airy on the palate... No trace of the booze...excellent...
The rye kicks you in the teeth on the finish... Very well crafted...
I actually liked this one better than PH... I loved the profile of the hops and rye together here...a masterpiece...

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked up a growler of this at Alpine Brewery in Alpine, CA. and poured it into a pint glass.

A: Classic West Coast IPA appearance - clean and golden with a solid head that lasts, leaving lacing in my glass from start to finish.

S: Big Nelson hop smell that is strong and unique - sweet and floral, very herbal and earthy with hints of carmel and vanilla.

T: Big time hop up front - pink grapefruit, resinous pine, fresh cut grass, herbal, earthy with a sweet malt finish that balances the overall flavor perfectly.

M: Good bitter bight up front, milky viscosity with a mellow carbonation that lends to the overall creaminess perfetly. Extremely smooth and damn near perfect.

D: Too easy - we split 3 growlers between four of us and finished them all, wishing we had just one more to cap our night.

I'm born and raised in San Diego and grew up drinking IPA's - this is hands down my favorite IPA from the area. There'a a few others that give it a run for its money, but Nelson is consistently victorious (even in the bottle).

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

Part of the blind bif 7, paired beers

Well after a cold from hell and then a pesky storm that we were lucky to skirt for the most part, I am ready to dip into my very generous box from quirkzoo that I received awhile ago. Inside were 12 hobo wrapped bottles and one very nice Crooked Stave shirt. The wait has been killing me but I wanted to hold off until this cold was gone so I could enjoy these beers.

1.a
Pours a golden orange with an inch of white foam that leaves some good lacing down the glass. Right off the bat the aroma of this one is very juicy. Lots of citrus hops and boy is it smelling divine! I don't want to stop smelling it. Its just too damn good.
Nice amount of bitterness but nothing that overtakes the flavor. Very resiny with a hint of soapiness. This is very drinkable. The flavor doesn't knock you over like the aroma does, but its very enjoyable. Very dry finish, sort of reminds me of plink the elder but I don't think its the right bottle for it.

1.b
Pours the same as 1A but a little darker and with just a little less amount of foam. The lacing is not as pronounced and sticky as 1A. In comparison to 1A this has a lot of the same citrusy notes but way more subtle. A little bit more of the malt comes through. Now this one seems a bit more ramped up in the flavor. There is a bigger malty backbone to it which helps bring the flavor of the hops forward. Less bitterness as well. Its thicker bodied than 1A as well.

So these seem to be two different beers, one seems like an IPA and the other a DIPA. Its neat to see how the higher the maltiness really seems to bring out the hops in the flavor while the other one is all aroma. Both of these beers are really good and I was in need of some good hops so these hit the spot. So lets see what I was drinking…

1A is Alpine Nelson
1B is Alpine Pure Hoppiness

I really wanted to guess Alpine on a hunch but never had, and both were wants in my book. Hell of a good start thanks to quirkzoo for a great start to this bif for me.

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 5/14/13

Big cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for getting this in a trade and sharing it

Appearance: Golden orange, rather hazy, with some straw around the edges - pours with a big, bright white head - fluffy, big, creamy head - fades to a remarkably solid, creamy cap - leaves sheets of lacing

Smell: Very, very unique and very, very hoppy - remarkably fruity, bright, and sweet in a very unusual way - malty sweetness kind of reminds me of cake - the hoppiness reminds me of my head exploding or something - extreme citrus and tropical notes - bright, lively orange and tangerine - some mango, pineapple, and melon - lightly spicy and lightly earthy - some rye, but not much

Taste: Brilliantly hoppy executed in a brilliant way - loads of citrus, with orange, tangerine, and grapefruit flesh - some oil, some pith - tropical notes with pineapple, melon, and something like lime - lightly grassy with some herbal and weed notes - moderately bitter - unexpectedly balanced with the nicely pale malts - the light spiciness from the rye adds to the unique, lovely character from the hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body, excellent carbonation, extremely smooth and extremely drinkable

Overall: You done broke the Nelson Sauvin, son!

I've had beers brewed with New Zealand hops. They have not been stellar. This is mind-blowingly awesome. I need to try everything from Alpine. Now. Seriously. Now!

4.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Picked up at the brewery during my San Diego trip last week. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but since got at the brewery it's gotta be fresh and well handled. It was a slightly hazy golden color with tinge of orange. Good carb streams and good lacing. It had a massive white head that very slowly settled into a foam. Very similar in appearance to the Duet from them that I had last night.

I believe this is my first beer with the Nelson Sauvin hop so no priors to compare it to. Floral hops, lots of rye and some grapefruit. No pine though. I enjoyed the Duet aroma much more but this is still good. The taste followed the aroma with the hop and rye sharing the spotlight. But kick in at the start and race to the finish and end in a tie. Finish is smooth and not bitter. Mouthfeel is solid with a creamy texture. Carb levl was good in this one so better mouthfeel than the Duet.

Overall, an good AIPA that I recommend. Not sure if it was the nelson hop or the rye or the mix of the two but I didn't love this one like I loved the Duet and Pure Hoppiness from them. During my trip, I got to try a sample on tap at the brewery so this was my first real taste of it. Rotation: not avail here. While I enjoyed this one, if I'm going to get some Alpine shipped to me I'll stick to the others from them. But if in the area and can get on-tap, it would be worth a pint.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company