Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Nelson - Alpine Beer Company

Wants: 1,414
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: OStrungT on 08-11-2006

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB
Reviews: 651 | Hads: 3,196
4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a golden hazy straw color with a thick bubbly head that dissipates quickly leaving a medium amount of lacing along the glass, pretty solid in appearance.

Smell is very strange, but in a great way. Some kind of weird fruit aroma, almost like an orange dreamsickle, I cannot wait to try this. Very fruity floral aroma, like no other IPA I have ever smelled.

Wow, this beer is different. It tastes a little like an orange dreamsickle. Very citrus, almost like a clementine with some cream as well. Light malt backbone comes through as well, maybe a little to sweet. Very unique IPA, you can taste the rye in the finish, I like it.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, medium body with light carbonation.

Very interesting beer, drinkability does suffer from the sweetness though.

3.62/5  rDev -17.5%

this beverage came with a bit of reputation in the sd area, as many of the breweries visited informed us we'd be mistaken were we not to head over to alpine. when i arrived, they struggled to determine what order i should taste in, but were convinced i should finish with this unique beverage. the nelsons have an arrayed aroma and flavor, it was like having a bite of something colorful off of someone else's plate when they weren't watching and you didn't pay attention to what they ordered. playfully citrus with an angry spice contributed both by the hop and the rye. i'm not sure what to make of this beer, but i'd like more to try. it's kind've like a rhinocorn. i don't know if it's even real. a fun and spicy rye.p.a.

4.57/5  rDev +4.1%

Bomber pours into my glass a deep orange/yellow with a two finger creamy, bubbling white head and superb clarity. Aromas start with a distinct tropical, pungent, fruity hop explosion. Grapefruit melds in with a nice spicy rye character. There is somewhat of a vinous, white wine character lurking within as well. Quite the lovely aroma.

First sip brings a plethora of fruity, resinous, pungent hops upfront with bold mango and grapefruit flavors. Spicy rye mixes in beautifully. Flows down with a good kick of bitterness that's well placed. Lingering fruity hops on the palate. Delicious!

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth with perfect carbonation. This one is exceedingly easy to drink and just amazingly enjoyable. A top notch IPA and I love the addition of rye and the Nelson Sauvin hops. Seek it out if you have the ability!

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to beerman4 for putting this in as an extra.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens tulip.

A: The head won't stop. After my first pour, it stayed briefly at the rim, but kept growing after the next couple minutes. Eventually there was a mound a good inch and a half above the rim. Never seen a head grow like that. Leaves a lot of lacing. Nice golden color, not transparent. Head never went down all the way.

S: Hops. Citrus. Floral with a pine backbone. Smells a little sweet with how floral it is. A touch of alcohol in there.

T: Hoppy, but not too bitter. Lots of pine flavor. A bit of grapefruit. My roommate says it's like a dry white wine, but I don't know wine so well.

M: After the initial carbonation release, the carbonation level is very nice; slightly tingly, not a mouthful of air. Dry finish, though as it warms it's slightly less dry.

D: Drinkability is high. Easy to drink, smooth, definitely refreshing. 7% abv is hidden well in the taste.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased at City Beer Store (yep! NorCal! You rule Craig/Beth!)

Pours a very lightly hazy pale yellow with a surprisingly short white head. Very soft with decent retention for such a weak stack. A lot of nice soft lacing sticks around though, for an overall pretty decent appearance.

Aroma is explosive and nice. This smells very fresh. Really dank with a lot of that almost-skunky intoxicating smell you get from a really fresh IPA. A good thing. Cannabis, pine and pineapple.

Taste is really nice and fresh as well--The first thing I notice is the massive fruitiness. A whole lot of peach/apricot flavors that I don't typically see in the style, with a nice wallop of pine and bitter grapefruit. A slight boozy heat on the finish that dries things out a touch. Bitter. Great stuff.

Effervescent with nice tight bubbles and a slight boozy heat. Somewhat oily.

Crazy drinkable; really delicious and goes down easy.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

Second of the west coast IPA's. Another bottle from JesseTheHut.

22 ounce bomber poured into the SN tumbler. Label explains the use of New Zealand hops that are used in this.

The Nelson pours a hazy amber orange color. A nice frothy pure white head sits atop with very good lacing and retention. The color is much darker than other IPA's. Aromas are nice and sweet with citrus fruits popping out of a nice hop backbone. Also some hints of grains and caramel. Quaff is much different from other hoppy IPA's. Plenty of hops make up the taste but there is also some piny notes. Not much citrus in the mouth. Mouthfeel is well carbonated and medium bodied. Plenty of hops bounce around on the tongue. Drinkability is obviously high, ABV allows you to sip a couple and taste is right there. I am very excited to move onto the other IPA's from Alpine.

3.45/5  rDev -21.4%

Big thanks to errantnight for hooking me up with this. Bottle spit among friends produced a smaller white head than expected that went off to nothing. it has a somewhat cloudy yellow in color body to it.

I will say I wasn't to much impressed with the new hop variety. I didn't get the grapefruit aroma the touted on the bottle but more of grassy earthy hops to it. It was nice but having tried this right after their Duet It was a little underwhelming.
The flavor was kind of a nice for Rye. PA and I will say one of the better of that hybrid that I have tasted. It had a good balance of pepper and hop to it and it finished rather dry in the mouth. The feel was light with somewhat a lack of carbonation for me. I think this brew needed more.

I finished the glass easily. it's a ok beer but I have had better in this Hybrid of a style.

Edit.. after looking at others reviews I would be up to try this one again to see if it wasn't a fluke or a bad bottle

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

My second time having this beer. This being the first time I am sober enough to review it and remember the characteristics.

Pours a golden yellow color with a very nice head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Tons of hop aroma that includes all sorts of fruits and citrus and even a little pine. I need to find me some of these Nelson hops for my homebrew.

Taste is so unique and amazing. The rye lends this different sort of flavor I can't really explain. I can see drinking this with some awesome Italian food.

Mouthfeel is good but I think it could use a little more carbonation.

Overall an excellent beer and I will drink this as often as I can find it. I only live 1 hour away from the brewery and it's hard for me to find.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: Pours super fizzy with a 2" fluffy cloudlike head. It's nearly sparkling with tons of carbonation streaming from the nucleation points. The color is a wheaty yellow color, and it's almost clear, but not quite.

S: Nice big aroma - citrus, slightly spicy, rye malts, grapes - it's sweet and slightly tart. Unique.

T: Tangy! It's almost champagne like in texture, with big sparkling fizzyness on the tongue that lends bitterness and a dry finish. The tart grape flavors mesh with the rye to make a unique, unexpected beer. I detected a subtle frutiness and a roasted chocolate note, but there can't possibly be any roasted malt in there. Full of flavor, unique, crisp, tart - this would be great in the summer or with food. It's really more like a saison than an IPA.

M: Sparkling champagne-like, fizzy on the tongue with huge carbonation levels. As the carbonation dies down a little and the beer warms up, the mouthfeel calms down into more normal territory. Refreshing, clean finishing.

D: I was surprised by this beer, as it really wasn't I expected. Instead of a rye IPA this was more like a saison, with huge carbonation and a lot of tartness. I'd love to have this again with some pork.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz bottle from the brewery served in a pint glass.

A- Lighter in color than the duet with a thicker head thats bright white. The beer is a light straw color with some haze.

S- I dont get the tropical nose I expected but rather a spicy nose. I immeditaly thought of a nice winter ipa where this would would well. I think this might be the rye coming through.

T- To me this IPA is fairly dry, i dont get the oily IPA that I would expect, it works well though creating a balanced beer with a calm spice in the background.

M- Very balanced carbonation with body of this beer.

Overall I think the duet is a easier drinking ipa but this should be in the roation to experience all the variety of hops out there, get out there and try some of these nelson sauvin. Again I tip my pint to Alpine, and im not going to bed!

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

A 22 ounce bomber poured into a mug.

A- Pours a medium to light yellow color, almost reminiscent of a macro brew. There is a fair amount of head retention with a pretty white one finger head. There is also a lot of carbonation activity after the pour. Overall a decent looking beer.

S- The smell coming from this beer is your run of the mill hoppy West Coast IPA. I am picking up a strong citrusy presence as well as some little hints of pine. Overall this a good smelling beer, better than the looks.

T- As with the other Alpine beers I have had the taste is where the beer makes it money. This beer starts off relatively mild which continues throughout. It isn't overpowering or too bitter in anyway, rather it is a nice well balanced IPA that has a nice hoppy flavor. A very good tasting beer that I would love to drink in again.

I recieved this beer as part of my Secret Santa haul, oner in a series of 3 Alpine beers and I am very happy to finally mark this Want off my list. Like I stated above this is a very good tasting beer and I would love having this again. Thanks Matt!

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This and Duet have become two of my favorite IPA's and definitely the best bang for your buck.

Pours light gold and slightly hazy with a nice amount of light foamy head. I love how the Nelson sauvignon hops smell, they're distinct and the rye definitely gives off a bit of grassy-summery aromas. The taste is pure citrusy bitterness with a perfect dry malt after taste. Once again, the nelson hops have a certain uniqueness to them, I've only had them in one other beer (Karl Strauss Big Barrel but the hop makes its presence felt.)The beer is very smooth, clean and crisp. This beer is very easy to drink but I don't know if rye is for everyone. Great west-coast IPA and another feather in Alpine's IPA hat.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Pours a fizzy golden peach toned orange with huge carbonation--a couple inches. Huge mid sized carbonation bubbles and swirl around the glass to the top. The head on this one's going nowhere. The head retention is amazing given that the bubbles are so big--they look like the type that are going to disappear at any moment, but they stick around impressively--I'm not sure at this rate I'll be able to get through to the beer. A beautiful pattern of sticky lacing.

Smell: A sweet bouquet of sugary, floral hops. There's a slight honey note, but it really does come across more as sugar and flowers. And of course, it's quite hoppy, but not really particularly bitter. There's a slight mowed grass smell to it--and even a bit of chives, as well as a slight rye element. Simple, light, hoppy, and nice, as it should be.

Taste: There's a mild sweetness here, but it's very slight, as is any bitterness from the hops. The taste is really largely predominated by a light floral and grass taste, and even a bit of green onion. There's a sweet citrus present as well, particularly as it warms up a bit. Very light, refreshing, and interesting. A bit more hoppy bitterness emerges as it warms, as does a very mild strawberry note.

Mouthfeel: Very large carbonation bubbles in the mouthfeel at first, which force the beer down quickly and leave behind a very dry aftertaste. The bubbles settle down quite nicely and what remains is tiny, crisp, and smooth. Turns out to be very well balanced.

Drinkability: goes down incredibly easily--not too harsh, bitter, or in your face, and done quite nicely. Could drink this one all night and not think twice about it. At the same time, it's quite unique and nicely done--I've never had a beer quite like this.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

22 oz. bottle purchased from Beverages 4 Less, poured in to a cervoise.

Appearance: Pours a surprisingly bleached golden peach in to my stemmed cervoise, and I should have eased back on the pour as soon as I noticed the frothy foam quickly forming, but alas - my failure to do so resulted in an explosive three finger white head erupting forth from this massively carbonated brew. The pillow of white marshmallow foam that sits atop a body teeming with large, sprightly effervescence is impressively rocky, sports some impressive retention, and leaves large patches of coagulated lace.

Aroma: Most of the reviews I've read of this brew - and, indeed, the side of the bottle itself - comment on the extensive use of Nelson Sauvin hops in this one. I presume this is what I'm smelling when I'm greeted by the massively floral, herbal bouquet that erupts from this glass. A nice amount of golden, honey sweetness provides an excellent backdrop for spicy, freshly-mowed grass, chives, basil, white grapefruit, and oranges. Very subtle, inviting, and approachable.

Taste: "Surprisingly dry" is my first thought, and "truly unique" is my second. The malts here are - though perhaps faintly roasted in places - mostly incredibly well-attenuated, biscuity, like water crackers or Wildflower honey that's, well, not sweet. Much dryer than in the smell, really. The rye is definitely present, and its earthy, almost dirty, spicy dryness - as well as the bonecrunching dryness (perhaps an overstatement) - really opens things up for a very herbal, floral, leafy hop profile. It's difficult at times to describe what I'm tasting: definite chives (which have been mentioned several times below) emerge from an allium-influenced though also decidedly herbal note; a large amount of white pepper-ish spice; basil; spearmint; some faint pine or rosemary; lavender; and the juicy but still dry citrus presences, orange, grapefruit, subtle tropical fruits. It's phenomenally complex and unique, and though that enhances the drinkability (insofar as drinkability is a factor of that "what on earth am I tasting, let me take another sip!" mentality), I'm a little mixed on the impact it has on the flavor itself.

Mouthfeel: The explosive carbonation continues to present itself, though it's a little more offputting here. The body is dry enough that the carbonation wreaks havoc a little, and though this helps in places - it doesn't come across as too cloying or too soda-like, as many sweet and highly-carbonated beers do, and the zip from the bubbles compliments the spicy zip of the hop profile - it also makes the body a little too rocky and uneven at times. Not a huge critique, and it does improve as it warms, but one worth noting.

Drinkability: A startlingly drinkable brew. The rye pairs masterfully with the unique elements of the Nelson Sauvin hop, making for a full-bodied, flavorful and aromatic brew that's drinkable not only by virtue of its reasonable abv% but also because of the aforementioned "what am I tasting?" effect. I keep getting new things out of this one, and that's really one of my favorite aspects of drinking and reviewing beer - that with four simple ingredients, a masterful brewer can evoke ten, fifteen, twenty, sometimes more identifiable flavors. Nelson - despite not being a perfect brew - is a perfect example of why I love reviewing beer, and in my mind, that makes it as drinkable as any beer I've ever had.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

One of my favorite IPAs out there. A creamy haystack yellow with a thick head that recedes shortly leaving a beautiful lacing that covers the whole glass.

The Nelson hops smell outstanding here. Up front, with a mild citrus and dare I say roasted Marshmallow and very subtle hazelnut. The flavor follows very closely along these aromas, and finishes cleanly with a lingering of fresh rye/whole grain bread.

Very drinkable, and an overall pleasure.

4.52/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Alpine beer co for only being one hour drive away and letting me purchase a half and half case of this and Duet! Spoiled.

Bomber poured into an Alesmith "Decadence" tulip, Thanks Petr Zien

A:A beautiful rich golden cascade with a thick eggshell head that lingers and laces down the glass

S: Very pungent, right off the bat I get the grapefruit of the Savin hops and, like danny hipps, (look down the reviews a page) I can't shake the asphalt/tar aroma that is actually very compelling.

T: Extraordinary, a big botanical/citrus/floral wave with a mellow rye flavor bringing everthing together. Exhaling I still sense the aroma of the street after a rain on a hot day lingering on my tounge.. in the very best of ways, of course

M: Smooth and silky, some might call thick. Oily and slightly tingly. It leaves a beautiful residue on the mouth

D: Very fine. I would bathe in this stuff... of the few hoppy rye beers (and the fewer Nelson Sauvin varieties) I would call this a cut above

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Skuter for sending a couple of Alpine brews my way. American IPA - favorite brew - rye, my favorite additive - my expectations have climbed!

Pours a pale, partly-cloudy yellow with a chance of fogginess. Serious carbonation evident to the eye. Smell is unique to IPAs that I can think of, grapefruit, but with some white grapes tossed in. I can only ID it because it said so on the label, but it's obvious once my brain has been informed.

Nelson is one weird guy. So tropical it seems like there should be an umbrella in my pint glass. The rye is steroid-rage aggressive, & tamps down the hops into a third place finish, lending only an odd, palate-confusing shot of grapefruit. Grapes, a pinch of spices, & just a haunting of bitterness stick their heads over the wire. I find myself taking sip after sip after sip after sip trying to identify all the complexities in this. Pleasant ones, too.

The rye & tropicality subsume the hops almost entirely, so the brew is smooth & easy to drink as any watered-down Light beer. The carbonation is on the high side & is slightly distracting.

I see why this one gets such high marks. Not only is this startlingly original, but it's crushingly easy to drink. The lack of bitterness of a typical IPA puts this one in a class by itself & it owns that class, whatever else might come along. Excellent beer.

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to JessetheHutt for the bottle. You're the man, Jesse.

Nelson pours a really nice looking gold color. It's a little hazy, but light reveals a tangerine tint that really makes it shine. An off-white head caps it off. It's big. Easily three and half fingers of fluff and foam. It's slow to recede and leaves very sticky, thick chunks of lace clinging to the glass. Excellent.

If you're into hops, you'll love the nose. It's stacked with enticing hop aromas. It features the usual citric suspects, grapefruit, pineapple, and orange. But, there's also a floral element present. The hops are very aromatic and smell delicious. Rye also comes through loud and clear. There are some light, sweet malt notes, but they're very secondary to the hops. I am getting a hint of caramel, but not nearly enough to offend me. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all. Very nice job.

Alpine brews some really nice IPAs. I'll give them that. Nelson is near the top of the list. The hop flavor is strong and resonates throughout. It has a nice citric flavor (primarily grapefruit), but also has a nice floral side. It's nice and bitter. Rye adds a nice spicy dimension to the flavor and works extremely well with the hops. There is a bit of sweet malt to anchor it down, but it's not exactly balanced. Hops easily win the day. Alcohol is blended extremely well and is virtually unnoticeable. It has a nice crisp, hoppy finish that's a tad dry.

Nelson has a medium body that's not quite smooth. Carbonation feels a bit buzzy, but it could be the intense hoppy/spicy flavor that confuses it a little. Not a bad effort by any stretch. Drinkability is very high. This is one tasty American IPA. It's simply delicious and goes down far too easy. If I had another bottle handy, I'd be tempted to crack it open. It's that good.

I'm really impressed with Alpine Beer Company's IPAs. They brew some of the finest in the world. Nelson is one of their best. I really like the flavor of these hops that hail from New Zealand. The use of rye was a stroke of brilliance, as well. There's not a hell of a lot to complain about here. Nelson is that good. Find a bottle. You can thank me later.

3.9/5  rDev -11.2%

22oz. bomber served into a globe glass

Pours a frankly not-pretty yellow-brown color. It looks murky and muddy. It looks like it is _actually_ muddy. When held to light you can make out an orange core though the haze. I got one finger of white head from this pour with some sticky lacing that salvages the score a bit.

Lots of grapefruit on the nose in addition to white grape. The fruit is lively and light; the smells dance around before quickly yielding to the malt backbone. The unique spicy quality of the rye is immediately discernible. I have to consider the possibility of this bomber being old. As is, the aromas are not as hoppy and dank as other rye IPAs like Founders Red's Rye or Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye.

The beer doesn't taste old (though it clearly isn't fresh either). The hops are immediate and strong. Lots of citrus zest and overripe grapefruit come from the Nelson Sauvin hops. There is a woodsy, vinous quality that splashes the middle of the tongue for a brief moment on each sip. The rye flavor appropriately dominates the barley sweetness. Rye's kinda sour, kinda savory, kinda spicy flavor has been proven time and again to be a great match for hoppy beers, and this brew is no exception. The rye and hops blend seamlessly from the beginning of the drink til long after you've swallowed. The bitterness on the aftertaste is tempered by rye taste, creating a dryness more than anything that invites a new sip.

All that rye means that Alpine Nelson is medium bodied, which I suppose is for the best. The carbonation level is remarkably on-point. It doesn't look like it would be very active, but on the tongue this is one prickly beer, which facilitates the flavors nicely. And at 7% ABV this is a bomber that one drinker will have zero difficulty finishing.

I'd bet that this beer is incredible when fresh. In the state that I had it, it has to settle for really, really good. I wish this were in six-packs and more importantly I wish I could buy it in Missouri. This beer is a great companion for a evening of drinking, the body is nice for a chilly evening that happens to coincide with a hop craving.

4.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to stawn for this one! This is my first experience with Nelson Sauvin hops!

A: Pours a darker colored straw that is nice and hazy. The head is white, frothy and delicious looking, and just sits there on top of the beer, not wanting to recede one bit. There is a thick layer of lacing left all over the walls of my nonic pint glass.

S: The nose is full of sweet tropical fruit. The first fruit that comes to mind is passionfruit. There is also a strong pineapple smell to this beer. Once you see through the hops there is a minimal sour scent from the rye grain used in this beer. This beer smells phenominal, and is easily one of the best smelling IPAs that I have ever had!

T: The taste is almost as pungent as the nose; tropical fruit city! Just like in the nose I get passionfruit and pineapple flavors from the hops. As the beer warms I detect a bit of grapefruit. There is a pleasant level of bitterness in this beer; moderate to high. Next, I detect the rye grain used in this beer. The rye seems to balance out the tropical hop assault and adds a pleasant spicyness to the beer. The hops and rye live in perfect harmony in this beer.

M: More of a medium bodied beer, with decent carbonation and a great amount of hop resin left behind.

D: This is a truely delightful beer, and I wish it made it's way to me more often. I guess I'll have to get to some more trading!

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy orange gold, topped with a finger of bright-white foamy head. The retention has a nice creamy look to it (and great flare-up as well) leaving behind thick rings of sticky froth. The aroma is floral and spicy, with a ton of bitter grapefruit. This is quickly followed by some white-grape character and doughy grains. Just a great bouquet here.

The taste is bitter with grapefruit juice, citrus rind, and a deep dry spiciness. Once again, I'm also getting some softer bright-tasting fruit flavors, like peaches or grapes, which I'm assuming are coming from the Nelson Sauvin hops. Toasted bready sweetness creeps along the back, with this finishing with even more dryness and earthy bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a big (yet still easy and mellow) creaminess that fills the mouth. Very silky feel here, that just seems to glide down the throat with no sign of alcohol in sight.

Lovers of grapefruit, spice, or just the Nelson hop in particular are going to really dig this. Personally, I felt that it naturally lacked some of the sizzle that this had fresh on draft in San Diego and had a strange "off" taste to it that I couldn't quite pinpoint. This is still damn tasty stuff though and is well worth seeking out.

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to HopHead84 for sending me a month old bottle of this nectar to me.

A-Lightly hazed, pale golden copper with a thick, pillowy, off-white head that holds on strong. Head reduces a bit and leaves chunky clumps of lace behind.

S-Intoxicating aroma of spicy orange, grapefruit and a touch of pine resin as well. Malt sweetness is light and subdued letting the beauty of the Nelson Sauvin hops take center stage!

T-Hop character not quite as strong on the palate as in the aroma. More spiciness comes through thanks to the rye malt addition. Nonetheless, sharp, bitter orange rind and tangy grapefruit combine with light, sweet biscuit malt to form a delicious nectar! Touch of spicy dryness in the finish.

M-Medium-light bodied, sharp and crisp with good lingering hop bite and spicy flavours.

D-Well, I am a sucker for Nelson Sauvin hops and for most beers made by Alpine Beer Company so I didn't doubt that this one would be a winner. In reality I feel it exceeded my expectations. A truly delicious brew. I hear a growler of this is coming my way too, Woo-hoo!

3.93/5  rDev -10.5%

Slightly hazy golden-orange in color with a good-sized off-white and fluffy head that doesn't want to go away. When it does, a craggy lace is left behind. Nose involves a nice big hit of citrusy hops and a slightly sour earthiness in the background. Smooth and malty going down and wrapped in more citrusy hoppiness with a few sour candy notes in the middle. Well-balanced and quite tasty brew, and there's not much more you can ask for than that.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

My original review was definitely from a bad bottle. I've since had it a few times and this might be the best IPA out there. The Nelson hops are fucking outstanding and Alpine definitely knows how to make an IPA.

22oz. brown bomber poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a hazy grapefruit skin color. Large hiss when opened... infection? Still get about 2 fingers on an easy pour(infection... maybe, maybe not), pearl white with good retention. Pretty good lacing.

S: Lots of citrus and pine. There's a sharpness that could be either infection or a sharp spiciness from the rye. A bit of malts in the back but not much sweetness. Hmm...

T/M: Mild bitterness. Still plenty of citrus and pine. There is that sharpness that could definitely be an infection, but it could also be a spiciness from the rye.... really not sure. Not much sweetness from the malts which could be an infection fermenting what the regular yeast can't... and the carbonation is high which leans in that direction as well. I still don't know, though. It's definitely odd to say the least.

D: ABV is reasonable. Kinda of a chore to drink from the high carbonation and what might be an infection.

Alpine should send me another bottle so I know if it's an infection or not :)

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale golden and clear with a tight two finger head.

the aroma is delightful. The label says the grapefruit scent will get you every time you put the glass to your lips and they weren't lying. The spice from the rye is definitely there and sets this apart from other well crafted ipas. Pine noted in there as well.

Taste is remarkably balanced. Citrus and piney up front with rye spice but a strong malt backbone. Dry finish with lingering spice.

Well carbonated with Medium mouthfeel.

Extremely drinkable. Tasty. Balanced. Unique. I really like this offering. Alpine just might have the best overall hop lineup around.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company