Nelson - Alpine Beer Company

NelsonNelson

Wants: 1,376
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: OStrungT on 08-11-2006

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,698 | Reviews: 613
3.7/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy pale golden with a thick soapy head.

Aroma is tropical citrus hop with a hint of pale malt.

Taste is toasted malt with more of the tropical hop quality - pineapple, orange, and melon. Finishes very smoothwith residual sweetness and only a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Overall, a pleasant easy drinking IPA. Lighter and sweeter than expected. Very clean.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Picked up a couple cases of various IPA 's at Alpine on Friday including a bunch of Nelson. This beer is a golden with a beautiful dense one inch cap that has amazing retention and leaves behind serious lacing as I sip down. The nose, like all Alpine brews is a work of art. Sweet tropical fruit, Nelson Sauvign hops and malty biscuit round out the package. The flavor profile follows the nose down the road, gorgeous rye, pine, sweet dank hoppiness all balanced by a minimal malt backbone. I cannot say enough about the uniqueness of this work of art, it is simply one of the best IPA's I have ever had, and Alpine may be the little giant that continues to craft ultra uber cult status beers according to their own rules.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale yellow gold with a thin white head. Lacing left on the glass looks like layers of sediment or rock in a cross section. Thin yeast residue left at the bottom of the bottle. Piney, woodsy, earthy hops aroma, as well as citrus and floral aromas. A little twinge of tart light bread also, like it's baking in the oven (read: yeast). Taste starts out very piney, like some spruce tips were used in the making of this beer. Very mild malt, but rye is there and unmistakable, which makes it tart and acidic. Bitterness comes in like the tide taking over your taste buds without you noticing. Tangy yeast comes out with time. A bit acidic in feel, but easily drinkable. dry finish.

I've been waiting for months to try an Alpine Brewing IPA, and I am not disappointed. I was worried when I saw that the only one left on the shelf was a Rye IPA, but Alpine really balanced the rye flavors well. A bit tangy due to the rye and hop oil, it was surprisingly smooth. I drank the bomber by myself and only noticed the acidity halfway through. It was never a problem though, more of an enduring characteristic. I would love to try this on tap!

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to tjkinate for this one, I always love me a Rye IPA, and I always love me some Alpine. Served from a 22oz bomber into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy honey gold. One finger of dense white foam has great retention and left behind some super sticky lacing. Hoping it tastes as good as it looks!

Smell is just wonderful. Pine, grapefruits, and rye, in that order. Been drinking a lot of Citra bombs lately so this is a nice change up.

And I just died and went to IPA heaven. This hits all the right notes for me. Earthy, piney, hop notes blend with fruity, citrusy hop notes. This is all backed up that wonderfully distinct biscuity rye flavor. It reminds me of a less malty Surly Furious. Everything is so damn clean and balanced.

Again, I can't find anything bad to say. Super smooth, nice and crisp without being too dry. Leaves a minimal aftertaste. Light in body but not in flavor, and some perfect carbonation.

Overall this is easily one of the top 5 IPAs I've ever had (and I've had many), and now one of my personal favorite beers in general. If I had to choose only one beer to drink for the rest of my life, Alpine Nelson would be seriously considered. There is just simply not much negative to say about this beer (except I can't easily get it). I love the delicate, yet complex hop profile, that plays so beautifully with the Rye addition. Recommended to all, every BA should try this beer. Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Brandon for this one.

A: Clear golden orange appearance

S: Great hop character. Grapefruit, lemon and orange aromas all hit my nose.

T: This IPA is just fantastic. The Rye is a really nice touch. After drinking this I'm a full on believer in Nelson Sauvin hops. Great Grapefruit notes just like in the nose.

M: Medium bodied with a cream texture.

O: Really complex and really drinkable. This is a really unique beer that I am really grateful for having the chance to try.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Nelson from Alpine Beer Company