Follow our progress ...

NelsonNelson

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A Golden Rye IPA - An outstanding hop from New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, is generously used throughout the brewing and dry-hopping of this unique beer. European rye is added for a smooth, malty addition to flavor. 1.065 OG 7% AB

Added by OStrungT on 08-11-2006

Reviews: 817 | Ratings: 3,967
3.58/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What used to be a world class IPA when brewed by Apine is now a shell of its former self now that Green Flash is brewing it. If I was given a blind taste test would never guess this is Nelson. Shocked at some of the positive reviews here on the new Green Flash version.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Golden yellow color with fine carbonation and a solid white head that slowly diminished for a good minute. A small amount of lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S - Citrus and floral notes abound but little to no resiny smell.

T - This tastes like awesome. There is a very nice clean balance between the malt and hop flavors with a mild bitterness. Aftertaste is not overbearing but a reasonable medley of biscuit and lingering hops.

M - Smooth and wet with most of the taste at the front of my tongue and a refreshed feeling in the aftertaste.

D - If this came in six packs I would have a new go-to summer beer. Alas, this will be one to look forward to the next time I visit California.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Bomber drink by 3/21/16. Pours pale and a bit hazy with a 1/2 finger head. Thin lacing down the sides. Nose is spicy and citrusy. Taste is like drinking grapefruit juice. There's also some smokiness on the back of the tongue, which is interesting. Finish is quite dry. The bitterness lingers. Feel is relatively light. Overall, a pretty good citrus forward IPA. However, I'd like to have a little more malt to balance the bitterness.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Acquired thanks to FreightTrain.

This one pours a nice golden color, vary clear, with a bit 2cm head, that's nice and sticky, leaving good lacing. A very nice looking IPA. The smell just reeks of pungent, floral, resinous hops. Almost skunky, but redeemed by a sweet fragrant, almost fruity, citrus peel smell. Really a lovely and complex hop these Nelsons are. I can get grapefruit and fresh grass clippings as well. It's like Centennial, but more pungent, I like this. The flavor continues with the smell, with grassy, piney, resinous hoppiness. The fruitiness is more apparent in the taste, with a kind of grassy mango taste, a tiny bit of sweet cantaloupe, and some bitter grapefruit as well. The malt is nice (as I've noticed with most of these Alpine beers), just to the right level to complement the hops, and very sticky, with nice yeast charcter. The beer finishes pretty dry with a slight leafy fruit taste. And the rye, well, you don't exactly taste it, as much as experience it. It add a huge, nice feeling to the body. The carbonation is lively, and makes the flavors burst very nicely as it sort of stings your mouth. And the alcohol lends a slight burn. This IPA strikes that perfect West Coast IPA balance (and I don't mean a 50-50 kind of balance, but a sort of established - in my mind - ratio of what to expect from a very hoppy IPA). My only complaint is that you can't drink as much of it as you would like, as the 7.1% starts to push it towards DIPA territory.

3.62/5  rDev -17.4%

this beverage came with a bit of reputation in the sd area, as many of the breweries visited informed us we'd be mistaken were we not to head over to alpine. when i arrived, they struggled to determine what order i should taste in, but were convinced i should finish with this unique beverage. the nelsons have an arrayed aroma and flavor, it was like having a bite of something colorful off of someone else's plate when they weren't watching and you didn't pay attention to what they ordered. playfully citrus with an angry spice contributed both by the hop and the rye. i'm not sure what to make of this beer, but i'd like more to try. it's kind've like a rhinocorn. i don't know if it's even real. a fun and spicy rye.p.a.

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Part of a blind tasting involving Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, and Duet. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter.

A: I like the color of this better than Duet, as it is a little bit more golden in color. It poured a

S: A pleasant smell, but not very intense. Mostly pine, with a bit of oranges. More malty than the other two Alpine IPAs at this tasting.

T: I liked that this was a fairly balanced taste, with definite hops up front, but some noticeable malt character as well. The rye comes through at the end, which is nice, but overall everything tasted just a bit watered down.

M: Pretty good, but a tad thin for my liking as I look for a bit more stickiness and aftertaste such as I found with Pure Hoppiness. Nice level of carbonation.

D: Better than Duet in my opinon, but not nearly as good as Pure Hoppiness. If this was available at a bar nearby, I'd give it a try again, but would not actively seek out another bottle. Too many better options that are easier to get in the Midwest.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A growler full of this love was given to me for Valentine's Day along with a growler of BP Victory at Sea....man am I lucky or what!?!

A- pours a clear golden yellow with a half inch foamy white head. Plenty of bubbles and streamers.

S- Like a hop soaked piece of rye bread.

T- Wow! Rye forward closely followed by a rye-hoppy punch. More of the floral than citrus hops. Think of hops sandwiched between some rye bread.

M- Smooth, crisp, great carbonation.

D- I f you like rye, and I do, this is an awesome beer. Think brewery meets jewish deli.

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%

I really can't wait for my visit to the brewery in a few weeks.

A: Golden colored brew topped with a single fingered, creamy white head that exhibited solid retention and lacing.

S: Hops were more prominent than expected, but followed nicely by the rye and some tropical fruit. The bready notes were slightly detracting from the overall experience.

T: Tropical fruits upfront with a hint of spice, rye and bready malts follow. Very unique flavors here, unlike any other IPA I've tasted to date.

M: Medium/light, well carbonated.

O: A very good IPA, will definitely be having again, hopefully on tap during my visit.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Light golden with a small off white head
S: Wow, grapefruit.
T: Lots of grapefruit, a tiny background of sweet grainy malts, I do not detect anything distinct from the rye
M: Incredibly smooth with little hop astringency, but plenty of hop character.
O: This is now one of my favorite IPAs, this is an IPA for a non IPA fan.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

I had this on draft in Chicago shortly after they entered the market. I thought it was OK, but very unbalanced. I was pretty dissapointed after seeing a really high BA score. I hope I just had a bad batch.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Gorgeous light golden orange with a nice bright white head. A little bit soapy, but full bodied enough to stick all over the glass.

S- Now that's an IPA! Super fruity, a faint hint of pine, some herbacious goodness.

T- Pineapple, mango, orange, with a sweetness that asserts itself without overwhelming. Super hoppy, super fruity, clean semi dry finish. Outstanding.

M- No complaints here in the least. Just enough carbonation to hold up to the intensely fruity flavors.

O- Great IPA in every way imaginable. Really happy I got to try one of these a day removed from the brewery.

3.92/5  rDev -10.5%

Got from a very generous Scottfrie. Poured 22oz into snifter.

A- Pours almost a golden orange. Slight haze to it. Thin white head.

S- Lots of citrus, grapefruit in the nose. Grapefruit all the way from beginning to end. Some bready notes from the rye.

T- Grapefruit hoppy flavor up front, but not to strong. Some citrus hops blend well to the middle. Bready, rye flavor comes through in the middle to the end. Starts out with mild bitterness, but the rye cuts it down pretty fast. A little thin though but still good flavors.

M- Not quite a medium body. Lower carbonation.

O- Good beer here. Nice juicy, hop flavors with a nice rye mix to it. Smooth drink, something you could drink a few of these pretty easily. Would love to have another one. Thanks Scott!

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

22oz. poured into pint glass

A. hazy honey yellow, 2 finger head with excellent retention. A lot of sandy-like sediment floating around leads to a opaque appearance.

S. Bready Rye, lemon zest, pine and tangerine

T. Bitter pine hits first and then followed by rye and a spicy finish.

M. Crisp and clean but with a nice body, slightly grittiness come intermittently as you drink this, but still smooth.

O. I really enjoy this, I feel as if this bottle is slightly off from normal though and missing some of its "pop" will re-review shortly.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from the bottle into my Chicago Bears pint glass. Once again, huge thanks to Brett!

A - Pours a golden yellow, with just the slightest hint of orange, and also with two fingers worth of pale white head. Retention is very nice once again, with half a finger's worth of head lasting throughout the experience.

S - Smells of fresh grapefruit, mixed with citrusy hops. There is an almost cider like quality in the nose that reminds me of Half Acre's Galactic Double Daisy Cutter, which makes sense as the main hop used in both beers is from the same part of the world. Really a perfectly balanced nose.

T - Follows well from the nose, but with more funk emanating from the hop profile than the nose would suggest. Definitely an interesting beer, as the hop funk dominates the mouth, with the citrus proving to be more of a background element than the balancing force it seemed to be in the nose. The cider-like quality to this beer is in full effect in the mouth, a perfect companion for this cold fall evening. As I swish it around in my mouth, the grapefruit and citrus comes through more, providing the balance present in the nose. When I do this, the taste is simply astounding! It's strange that it requires me sloshing this around a bit for the flavors to come together, and for that I'm docking it half a point.

M - The beer is very pleasant on the tongue, with a perfect amount of carbonation and absolutely zero alcohol burn, despite the slightly higher alcohol content for the style.

O - Overall a very well done beer. One I would definitely drink regularly if I had access to it!

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Very devolving beer appearance wise. very light in color almost like a blonde but the taste packs a delicious bite of hopps. One of the best IPA's I've had. Super refreshing!

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Big thanks to Jesse for this great beer.

A: Pours a cloudy light apricot with a huge white head. Lacing lasts quite a while.

S: Wonderful citrus aroma with just a hint of malt.

T: Great smooth citrus hops upfront moving into mild malt. Finish is a fantastic grapefruit hoppy bitterness.

M: Lighter side of medium body with great carbonation.

O: What can I say. Some of my favorite IPAs come from Alpine. I could drink this all day.

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Great foamage/lacing. Light yellow.

Outstanding smell, peaches, bitter light hops.

PEACHES, orange, bread, hops are mellow and smooth.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. Never had an IPA like this. Light carbonation. Bitter/dry.

Great little IPA, taste is very fruit forward. My first beer from Alpine, I can see why they're so highly regarded.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes:
On tap at Amazing Grapes in Rancho Santa Margarita CA 7/17/14.

A: Cloudy light golden body. A small creamy pearl white head on the initial pour recedes to a small ring around the rim of the glass. Glows when held up to the light, and would score higher if head retention was a little better.

S: MASSIVE juicy tropical fruit, and grapefruit. Potent white wine notes round out the aroma. Hints of pine. One of the best aromas I've ever encountered in an IPA. Not very many singular aroma profiles overall, but absolutely stunning in its simplicity.

T: Sweet white wine, zesty orange, and dank grapefruit. Crackery malt makes itself known as it warms. Minimal bitterness when compared to its peers. Again, very simple, but still absolutely beautiful.

M: Light/Medium bodied and effervescent. Long, drying finish accentuates the hop character.

O: After having this a few times, this is more than likely my favorite "single" IPA in the world. A wonderful exercise in balance flavor-wise when compared to most of its "West Coast" counterparts. Massive hop flavor and aroma without the hyper aggressive bitterness that characterizes the style. This is my "Desert Island" beer. Cheers Alpine!

3.77/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Big thanks to DearthVader for sending this one.

A- Pours a clear gold with a nice two finger head that slowly dissipates into a nice white cap. Little bits of sediment floating around. Some nice spots of lacing are left behind

S- Fresh ruby red grapefruit juice, peach, pineapple, white grape, mandarine, peppery spice, funk, grass, pine and sweet malt. Very complex and intoxicating smell. My girlfriend could not stop smelling the beer.

T- Grapefruit, pineapple, peach. mandarine, white grape, rye, pine and some sweet biscuit malt. Has some floral and herbal hops including basil. There also seems to be this garlic/onion flavor that hurts the taste for me.

M- Medium carbonation and body and is pretty smooth. Finishes sweet with a good amount of herbs and a bit of orange.

O- A very interesting IPA. Not to familiar with Nelson Sauvin hops, but added some nice white wine qualities as well as the rye adding some peppery spice. I much prefer Duet and Pure Hoppiness over Nelson, that onion/garlic taste really got to me.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow what a great beer, pours two fingers of head and almost comes out with a mercury metallic hue when pouring, settles to a caramel orange in the glass. Nose is just full of citrus and tropical fruits and white wine with a touch of piney hops. Taste is a complex blend of candied citrus rind, bitter papaya, orange mango juice and some dark rye bread with a touch of sauv blanc notes at the end with the requisite ipa finish. Sculpin might have been dethroned in my book gorgeous beer.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Light Amber color with a modest-sized white head that faded fairly quickly.

Smell: Primarily Piney hop aromas with some citrus fruits thrown in.

Taste:The pine aromas carry over to the taste, but I also get some grape-like and citrus notes. The rye adds a bit of spicy notes. I can't really pick up the malts in the taste. The finish ends with the grape notes, a bit of rye spiciness and mild citrus notes.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Overall: IPAs aren't really my thing but this is a good beer.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Augustgarage for this incredible California IPA. Poured into my Dfh tulip glass, pours a beautiful yellow sun color, about 1 finger of head quickly subsides with a little lacing. On the nose, I get sweet grapefruit and a buttery sweet flavor. I love it, this is a unique and wonderful ipa. Unlike any I have ever had. On the first taste, the hoppy goodness hits my palate, followed by grapefruit, and there is that buttery sweet flavor in the back. The nose is so filled with grapefruit that it smells like I am sticking my nose into a glass of ruby red. Mouthfeel- nice, silky, with just enough carbonation. Drinkability- I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and die happy.

I have seen other Ba's talk about this beer, and comment that it was way better than big hyped IPAs like PTE. I really have to agree. This may be one of the best regular IPAs I have had in my 10 yrs of craft beer drinking.

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass. Taken from notes

The appearance was that of a slight golden/light orange color with a slightly off-white two inch head. Average head retention that when subsides leaves small spots of lacing.

The aroma was a mix of citrus aromas with earthy herbal smells. I got pine and floral aromatics with grapefruit and tangerines.

The taste upfront was of citrus flavors with grapefruit and then following is some pine and herbal flavors. Slight spicy undertone of rye in the finish with biscuit and cracker like malts.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a little less than average carbonation.

Overall good beer, but nothing spectacular. I liked Duet better then this one and pure hoppiness.

4.66/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at Craft and Commerce in SD. Pours a bright, yet hazy, straw color with 1/2 inch of fine bubbled head that stood up well into the beer. Nose is dominated by slightly tart citrus notes and pine with biscuity malt backing. The taste is more malt than the nose would lead one to believe but the balance was beautiful as the tart citrus flavor was wonderful. Creamy mouth feel. Love this beer - the hype is well deserved.

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

delicious, but im not sure if im drinking the nelson of alpine lore, or the green flash version. either way, its pretty good. hazy orange in color. huge citrus nose. great flavor, nice backbone. mouthfeel really stands out for me. medium bodied with great carb. very nice.

Nelson from Alpine Beer Company