Bad Boy - Alpine Beer Company

Bad Boy
No picture uploaded.

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Uses Columbus and Amarillo hops.

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 12-03-2006)

DocJitsu, Jun 10, 2012

CheapBeerBuzz, Sep 25, 2012

LaChupacabra, Nov 11, 2013

Irrationalist, Oct 13, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Growler shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan. Review from notes.

The beer is golden and clear with nearly an inch of white head. The aroma consists of hops, citrus, pine. A tad sweet, with hops leading the way. Nice blend of citrus and pine flavors. Very little malt profile. I don't think this is nearly as good as Nelson or Hoppy Birthday, which are some of the best beers on the planet, in my opinion. That said, this is another delicious IPA from Alpine. I would love to try this on draft from the source.

Huhzubendah, Jun 07, 2012

RolandBlunts, May 22, 2014

vinny21bal, Dec 19, 2013

OSURFC, Sep 04, 2014
4.28/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Received with almost a finger's worth of head which disappears as I write this. The head is pure cotton white while the body is a pale to medium amber which appears as a golden straw when held up to the light. Light lacing as with Alpine's other beers.

Nose- Have I mentioned that Alpine has hoppy beers on lockdown? Not bitter hophead beers but delicious fruity ones. More fruit notes with citrus notes taking the front (orange, lemon, and grapefruit). Some cherry. Notes of honey and caramel. Floral character. If this follows the aroma this is going to be the type of IIPA that I like.

Taste- Follows the nose to a certain extent. There is definitely a good amount of citrus (orange and lemon) and other fruits- cherry and peach at the moment. Good amount of honey and caramel. However, the best aspect of the flavor profile is one I can't really describe adequately. This is an extremely fresh and bright beer. Some pine and resin but not enough to render this a hophead's beer. The pine and resin does have a bit of linger which also shows some matchstick and grapefruit. Some orange and lemon peel. Caramel meets up with a bit of matchstick and makes it tastes a bit burnt. Some mustiness. Armpit and dirty socks. It is a little too cold to tell but I'm not as impressed with it as others seem to be. Certainly not in the same class as Notorious, Heady Topper, or Pliny the Younger at the moment.

Mouthfeel- Close to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation and zing. It's undeniable- high carbonation seems to be as much of signature to Alpine's top beers as low carbonation is for HOTD's elite beers. Still works. The zing complements the freshness and spice of the high hops.

Drinkability- Very easygoing and each taste varies. Each one might not be the best I've ever had but it keeps it interesting. No heat at all and 5 bucks for a 12 oz pour seems pretty reasonable for a high quality IIPA. Especially considering that Apex charges 5 bucks for a 6 oz pour of Notorious. Notorious is great but not that great.

Overall- Really good beer that wants to be great but just isn't. I've had too many world class IIPAs to think otherwise. Definitely worth a try though.

artoolemomo, Dec 16, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the brewery during my visit to SD. Thanks to Pat for the pour and personal tour, what a nice guy! Reviewed from notes 08/15/09.

A - Pours a very clear golden/orange with a white head. Some good lacing and bubbles remain on top as the cap.

S - Huge hoppy aroma with some citrus and floral notes in there as well. Really, this one was a huge hop bomb that blew out my sense of smell. Bad Boy is right.

T - Hops, bitter, hops, bitter, touch of malt, hops, bitter, bitter. Repeat over and over until you have finished your pour. Pretty much zero malt character, which I like.

M - Light to medium, good carbonation, crisp and smooth.

D - Another great one from Alpine. I think they're the kings of DIPA and IPA. This is yet another great example of what Pat and company are doing in sunny CA.

Sean9689, May 03, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From 03/03/12 notes. Big big thanks to Nugganooch for sending me a growler of this one; thanks Dane! Big want of mine. Poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a clear orange-amber color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks very nice.

s - Smells of pine hops, citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, fruity malts, and some floral hops. Ton of pine, and I enjoy the oranges, though there isn't as much as in Nelson. Really awesome fresh and hoppy nose.

t - Tastes of pine hops, oranges, citrus hops, tropical fruity, fruity malts, grapefruits, light earthy notes. Very nice taste though not as great as the nose. Some bitterness in the taste.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation with some light bitterness. PRetty easy t drink for 9% ABV.

o - Overall another really nice hoppy beer from Alpine. It isn't my favorite Alpine beer, but it is right there with the majority of them. I think I actually like Duet the best personally, followed by Hoppy Birthday, but this is probably tied for third, and they're all great. I think if you can find this, or any of their hoppy beers, fresh you should get it in a heartbeat.

mdfb79, Mar 06, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -5.3%

Another nice one from Alpine, these guys seem to know something about hops. Thanks to Matt (starrdogg) for sharing this one last night.

At first I didnt know if I loved this compared to other offerings from Alpine, but the more I had to more I liked it. At first the hops seemed unbalanced but I think once you get pas the first sip it seems to make more sense and taste delicious.

A: The beer pours a super hazy opaque orange with some lacing left and a small ring of fluffy head. Looks kind of like some homebrews I've had, usually like a little brighter orange and less cloudy with more head, but still looks good.

S: Very raw spicy hop aromas, reminds me of opening those air tight bags of hops that homebrewers use. Super dank, kitchen spice, vegetable hop aromas, grass, and even more herbal hops. Not much malt but I dont care.

T: Not super balanced, very much in the direction of hops with little malt to speak of, and at first I was a little put off but then started to really love the hop bite. Raw luscious grass and citrus hop. I can't even really say theres much malt character, its mostly just a bit of sweetness.

M: Bitter back, sweet up front, not super thick but oily over the palate.

Overall another nice beer, but not my favorite from them, which isn't saying much cause most of the time I give their beers A+. Another hop heads dreamy beer!

Dreadnaught33, Oct 08, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Was really in the mood for a good DIPA, and what a surprise, Alpine delivered. Dyan mentioned that he'd had the growler for over a week, which I thought amazing considering how fresh tasting this beer was.

BB pours a lovely golden peach color with excellent head retention and considerable lacing. On the nose, this beer is a thing of DIPA beauty. I get a huge blast of orange citrus, light pine, mango, pineapple and a slighty skunky marijuana aroma. Mmmm... On the palate this beer is delicious, though the flavor profile is not as intense or complex as the aroma profile. Still, the beer otherwise replicates the nose, with a fairly long, impressively bitter finish. This DIPA is very much in the west coast style, with the sweet malt dialed down and the beer coming across as fairly dry and bitter. The beer is no more then medium bodied, and has a mouthwatering component that I always love to see in a DIPA/IPA. Drinkability is excellent, with the alcohol no more then a fleeting after thought. For a 9% beer, this beer is far too easy to drink.

Just delicious. Yum!!!

John_M, Apr 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Growler provided to me by my In-Laws. Amazing hook up in the greater Escondido area! I placed a phone call to my wife about the prospect of making it out to Alpine. We couldn't due to our work schedules, so her parents grabbed us a growler. Way too awesome.

Poured into my Woodshop Classix snifter, good times.

A: Light white grape juice body with some soapy smearing lacing off of a 3 finger head. I was very pleased with the head formation out of the growler, and the bubbles pop with a fury of freshness. The body is quite clear with a lot of white wine characteristics to the body. A slow stream of bubbles whirlpools in the middle of the glass.

S: White grapefruit, pineapple juice, and some peaches really come off strong in the nose. The notes are softer, hence the "white", but it's really juicy. The hops come off very pomello and white grapefruit. There is a hard to explain lightness and dryness to the smell that just makes it seem fresh, yet mellow.

T: Really crisp white peach, white grapefruit, white nectarines, and a light currents/white cranberry dry flavor. There seems to be a bitter acidity to the flavor that I can't quite pinpoint, but it's quickly lost after repeat sips. Massive floral quality that makes me think of some foreign teas that I'm not really familiar with. Perhaps the slightest bit of orange blossom in the end.

M: Super fluffy and full dessert mousse feels in the mouth where the alcohol coats like a thin layer of honey. The hops linger with a mellow citrus rind bitterness that feigns dryness behind a flavorful layer of alcoholic marmalade. Sticky, but not quite thick with resins. It's more like having a fresh citrus jam than a wet linger of a strong booze.

O: What a big surprise, another amazingly delicious DIPA from Alpine. I really have just become so numb to the extremely high quality of their IPAS/DIPAS that I can hardly see past the incredible consistency of their work. There is more of a white citrus, fruit, and berry flavor in this than I've ever had in any other DIPA. I don't know for certain what the ingreidents in this beer were, but this certainly seems to be a Citra brew in the nose. I'm not certain if it's single hop, but the way that Alpine makes their beers to be so jammy and full convinces me than can work magic even with the most basic of ingredients. Throw in a super pungent hop and you end up with lightning in a glass like this one. Simply outstanding and worth seeking out.

Cavery, Oct 02, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured amber brown with yellow highlights that had a thin head and left a little bit of lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was pretty damn piney with floral hops, citrus, slight mango, and a good sweet malty presence. Upfron the piney hop notes stand out nice on the palate alongside citrus grapefruit that help out on the overall bitter bite but also had mango accents and a great malty backbone to balance out the piney potentcy. The brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a piney hoppy bitter crisp finish. It drank really good and I felt like it was expo's baby brother.

Gobzilla, Sep 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

It is good to live in San Diego where I live so close to places that make very good beer. Alpine Beer Company is one of these places. I have made three worth while trips to Alpine Beer Company and everytime I have gone there I have inquired about the Badboy. It is a beer that should be shared with good friends. This double I.P.A (aka San Diego pale ale) is a beer that brings relief to the strife of the everyday stress. From its wonderful honey color to it's heavenly aroma and beautiful taste, this beer can bring a smile to the most weary face.
If you are visiting the area of San Diego County and you like a good beer, I suggest a trip to the Alpine Beer Company for a growler of Badboy. There is another option if you want, you can always go to bed.

PPITim, Mar 10, 2010