Bad Boy - Alpine Beer Company

Bad Boy
No picture uploaded.

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Uses Columbus and Amarillo hops.

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 12-03-2006)
funkel81

11-11-2013 05:24:07 | More by LaChupacabra
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Growler shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan. Review from notes.

The beer is golden and clear with nearly an inch of white head. The aroma consists of hops, citrus, pine. A tad sweet, with hops leading the way. Nice blend of citrus and pine flavors. Very little malt profile. I don't think this is nearly as good as Nelson or Hoppy Birthday, which are some of the best beers on the planet, in my opinion. That said, this is another delicious IPA from Alpine. I would love to try this on draft from the source.

06-07-2012 04:28:34 | More by Huhzubendah
RolandBlunts

05-22-2014 19:04:51 | More by RolandBlunts
vinny21bal

12-19-2013 06:08:55 | More by vinny21bal
artoolemomo

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance- Received with almost a finger's worth of head which disappears as I write this. The head is pure cotton white while the body is a pale to medium amber which appears as a golden straw when held up to the light. Light lacing as with Alpine's other beers.

Nose- Have I mentioned that Alpine has hoppy beers on lockdown? Not bitter hophead beers but delicious fruity ones. More fruit notes with citrus notes taking the front (orange, lemon, and grapefruit). Some cherry. Notes of honey and caramel. Floral character. If this follows the aroma this is going to be the type of IIPA that I like.

Taste- Follows the nose to a certain extent. There is definitely a good amount of citrus (orange and lemon) and other fruits- cherry and peach at the moment. Good amount of honey and caramel. However, the best aspect of the flavor profile is one I can't really describe adequately. This is an extremely fresh and bright beer. Some pine and resin but not enough to render this a hophead's beer. The pine and resin does have a bit of linger which also shows some matchstick and grapefruit. Some orange and lemon peel. Caramel meets up with a bit of matchstick and makes it tastes a bit burnt. Some mustiness. Armpit and dirty socks. It is a little too cold to tell but I'm not as impressed with it as others seem to be. Certainly not in the same class as Notorious, Heady Topper, or Pliny the Younger at the moment.

Mouthfeel- Close to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation and zing. It's undeniable- high carbonation seems to be as much of signature to Alpine's top beers as low carbonation is for HOTD's elite beers. Still works. The zing complements the freshness and spice of the high hops.

Drinkability- Very easygoing and each taste varies. Each one might not be the best I've ever had but it keeps it interesting. No heat at all and 5 bucks for a 12 oz pour seems pretty reasonable for a high quality IIPA. Especially considering that Apex charges 5 bucks for a 6 oz pour of Notorious. Notorious is great but not that great.

Overall- Really good beer that wants to be great but just isn't. I've had too many world class IIPAs to think otherwise. Definitely worth a try though.

12-16-2013 02:14:43 | More by artoolemomo
Sean9689

4.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Had on-tap at the brewery during my visit to SD. Thanks to Pat for the pour and personal tour, what a nice guy! Reviewed from notes 08/15/09.

A - Pours a very clear golden/orange with a white head. Some good lacing and bubbles remain on top as the cap.

S - Huge hoppy aroma with some citrus and floral notes in there as well. Really, this one was a huge hop bomb that blew out my sense of smell. Bad Boy is right.

T - Hops, bitter, hops, bitter, touch of malt, hops, bitter, bitter. Repeat over and over until you have finished your pour. Pretty much zero malt character, which I like.

M - Light to medium, good carbonation, crisp and smooth.

D - Another great one from Alpine. I think they're the kings of DIPA and IPA. This is yet another great example of what Pat and company are doing in sunny CA.

05-03-2010 19:46:04 | More by Sean9689
mdfb79

4.28/5  rDev -5.7%

From 03/03/12 notes. Big big thanks to Nugganooch for sending me a growler of this one; thanks Dane! Big want of mine. Poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a clear orange-amber color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks very nice.

s - Smells of pine hops, citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, fruity malts, and some floral hops. Ton of pine, and I enjoy the oranges, though there isn't as much as in Nelson. Really awesome fresh and hoppy nose.

t - Tastes of pine hops, oranges, citrus hops, tropical fruity, fruity malts, grapefruits, light earthy notes. Very nice taste though not as great as the nose. Some bitterness in the taste.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation with some light bitterness. PRetty easy t drink for 9% ABV.

o - Overall another really nice hoppy beer from Alpine. It isn't my favorite Alpine beer, but it is right there with the majority of them. I think I actually like Duet the best personally, followed by Hoppy Birthday, but this is probably tied for third, and they're all great. I think if you can find this, or any of their hoppy beers, fresh you should get it in a heartbeat.

03-06-2012 18:16:13 | More by mdfb79
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%

Another nice one from Alpine, these guys seem to know something about hops. Thanks to Matt (starrdogg) for sharing this one last night.

At first I didnt know if I loved this compared to other offerings from Alpine, but the more I had to more I liked it. At first the hops seemed unbalanced but I think once you get pas the first sip it seems to make more sense and taste delicious.

A: The beer pours a super hazy opaque orange with some lacing left and a small ring of fluffy head. Looks kind of like some homebrews I've had, usually like a little brighter orange and less cloudy with more head, but still looks good.

S: Very raw spicy hop aromas, reminds me of opening those air tight bags of hops that homebrewers use. Super dank, kitchen spice, vegetable hop aromas, grass, and even more herbal hops. Not much malt but I dont care.

T: Not super balanced, very much in the direction of hops with little malt to speak of, and at first I was a little put off but then started to really love the hop bite. Raw luscious grass and citrus hop. I can't even really say theres much malt character, its mostly just a bit of sweetness.

M: Bitter back, sweet up front, not super thick but oily over the palate.

Overall another nice beer, but not my favorite from them, which isn't saying much cause most of the time I give their beers A+. Another hop heads dreamy beer!

10-08-2011 14:48:51 | More by Dreadnaught33
John_M

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Was really in the mood for a good DIPA, and what a surprise, Alpine delivered. Dyan mentioned that he'd had the growler for over a week, which I thought amazing considering how fresh tasting this beer was.

BB pours a lovely golden peach color with excellent head retention and considerable lacing. On the nose, this beer is a thing of DIPA beauty. I get a huge blast of orange citrus, light pine, mango, pineapple and a slighty skunky marijuana aroma. Mmmm... On the palate this beer is delicious, though the flavor profile is not as intense or complex as the aroma profile. Still, the beer otherwise replicates the nose, with a fairly long, impressively bitter finish. This DIPA is very much in the west coast style, with the sweet malt dialed down and the beer coming across as fairly dry and bitter. The beer is no more then medium bodied, and has a mouthwatering component that I always love to see in a DIPA/IPA. Drinkability is excellent, with the alcohol no more then a fleeting after thought. For a 9% beer, this beer is far too easy to drink.

Just delicious. Yum!!!

04-12-2010 15:29:50 | More by John_M
Cavery

4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Growler provided to me by my In-Laws. Amazing hook up in the greater Escondido area! I placed a phone call to my wife about the prospect of making it out to Alpine. We couldn't due to our work schedules, so her parents grabbed us a growler. Way too awesome.

Poured into my Woodshop Classix snifter, good times.

A: Light white grape juice body with some soapy smearing lacing off of a 3 finger head. I was very pleased with the head formation out of the growler, and the bubbles pop with a fury of freshness. The body is quite clear with a lot of white wine characteristics to the body. A slow stream of bubbles whirlpools in the middle of the glass.

S: White grapefruit, pineapple juice, and some peaches really come off strong in the nose. The notes are softer, hence the "white", but it's really juicy. The hops come off very pomello and white grapefruit. There is a hard to explain lightness and dryness to the smell that just makes it seem fresh, yet mellow.

T: Really crisp white peach, white grapefruit, white nectarines, and a light currents/white cranberry dry flavor. There seems to be a bitter acidity to the flavor that I can't quite pinpoint, but it's quickly lost after repeat sips. Massive floral quality that makes me think of some foreign teas that I'm not really familiar with. Perhaps the slightest bit of orange blossom in the end.

M: Super fluffy and full dessert mousse feels in the mouth where the alcohol coats like a thin layer of honey. The hops linger with a mellow citrus rind bitterness that feigns dryness behind a flavorful layer of alcoholic marmalade. Sticky, but not quite thick with resins. It's more like having a fresh citrus jam than a wet linger of a strong booze.

O: What a big surprise, another amazingly delicious DIPA from Alpine. I really have just become so numb to the extremely high quality of their IPAS/DIPAS that I can hardly see past the incredible consistency of their work. There is more of a white citrus, fruit, and berry flavor in this than I've ever had in any other DIPA. I don't know for certain what the ingreidents in this beer were, but this certainly seems to be a Citra brew in the nose. I'm not certain if it's single hop, but the way that Alpine makes their beers to be so jammy and full convinces me than can work magic even with the most basic of ingredients. Throw in a super pungent hop and you end up with lightning in a glass like this one. Simply outstanding and worth seeking out.

10-02-2011 02:56:50 | More by Cavery
Gobzilla

4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured amber brown with yellow highlights that had a thin head and left a little bit of lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was pretty damn piney with floral hops, citrus, slight mango, and a good sweet malty presence. Upfron the piney hop notes stand out nice on the palate alongside citrus grapefruit that help out on the overall bitter bite but also had mango accents and a great malty backbone to balance out the piney potentcy. The brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a piney hoppy bitter crisp finish. It drank really good and I felt like it was expo's baby brother.

09-02-2010 03:18:33 | More by Gobzilla
PPITim

4.33/5  rDev -4.6%

It is good to live in San Diego where I live so close to places that make very good beer. Alpine Beer Company is one of these places. I have made three worth while trips to Alpine Beer Company and everytime I have gone there I have inquired about the Badboy. It is a beer that should be shared with good friends. This double I.P.A (aka San Diego pale ale) is a beer that brings relief to the strife of the everyday stress. From its wonderful honey color to it's heavenly aroma and beautiful taste, this beer can bring a smile to the most weary face.
If you are visiting the area of San Diego County and you like a good beer, I suggest a trip to the Alpine Beer Company for a growler of Badboy. There is another option if you want, you can always go to bed.

03-10-2010 07:56:46 | More by PPITim
AleWatcher

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Growler into Ithaca tulip.
Thanks to smokepot23 for the growler.

Pours a nice deep gold, just slightly hazy. Nice 2 fingers of loose white head. Good chunks of lacing. Nice retention.

Tropical fruits, pineapple, grapefruit... Mmmm. This has a great nose. Certainly not like Sarah Jessica Parker at all.

The flavor is very nice as well... I think the nose is better than the flavor, although not are quite nice. This is a quintessential DIPA. There is absolutely nothing about this beer that I am not enjoying. The flavor has a light (very light!) malt like crackers. The hops have a nice tropical fruit and grapefruit note. Fantastic bitterness just loitering in my mouth... Very nice.

As this warmed up, I did find one thing I disliked: there is a hint of garlicy summit hops... Meh.

The body is nice- well carbed and relatively light. Very easy to drink. Me likey.
I will keep this one on my wants list.

The

04-02-2011 01:09:39 | More by AleWatcher
Phelps

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a growler shared by ejyoung, into a tulip.

Deep gold, like bullion. A little caramel as well, but the drink exhibits perfect clarity. One inch of head is white and fluffy as a cloud. It descends slowly, leaving sticky trails of bubbles.

In the nose: orange peel, dankness, honey, caramel, a little basil. It’s actually so dank as to be almost funky.

The flavor gets much maltier, with a nice sweetness to boot. Lots of caramel and burnt sugar with dank, sticky hops. Grass, a little alcohol, and very lightly toasted biscuits swirl in the finish.

Soft, medium body. Moderate carbonation breaks the beer into a little fizz. Mild bitterness, balanced with aplomb by the malt.

Good boy, Bad Boy. It’s got incredible balance, with a big malt presence to balance them crazy dank hops, and is very drinkable for its strength. A fabulous IPA.

04-06-2012 22:59:06 | More by Phelps
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

From notes taken at the Alpine Beer Pub.

A - Light amber color with a 0.5 inch head that is white and very dense.

S - Aroma of dank hops. Some pine oils and some nice resin notes. Some lsight sweetness formt eh hops as well. Pretty hop forward. Not as booze heavy as expected with the 9%.

T & M - Dangerously smooth. Nice pine notes with some good dank hops and sticky resin notes. Citrus fills the middle of the beer with a slightly bready balance and then a bitter and dry finish that leaves a nice hoppy mess. Mouthfeel is a bit on the medium side with some sweet notes but mostly a easy drinker. Except for the higher ABV that is well hidden.

O - Its appropriately hop forward but quite smooth at the same time. Can be dangerous because of the ease of drinking. Solid DIPA.

04-03-2011 00:58:06 | More by JoEBoBpr
MrVonzipper

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to Darthkostrizer
Pours a clear apricot color with a foamy white head with good retention and lace.

Big citrus and mild pine hopped nose. A touch boozy.

Flavor follows the nose with a hops explosion. Huge citrus hop character with nice sweet tropical fruit like pineapple and mango. A touch of cat pee funk and a little boozy heat.

Mouth is medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall I really like it. Another phenomenal and different big ipa from the best ipa making brewery in the world.

09-17-2012 09:14:36 | More by MrVonzipper
Enish266

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%

From a day-old growler picked up from Alpine myself.

A - pours a very light copper/amber with a 1/4" milky-white head on an average pour

S - dank and piney in the very best way. A touch of grapefruit and pineapple sweet mixed in for good measure.

T - slippery on the tongue leading into a bitter bite. Grass and resin coat the tongue all the way down the throat. Dry, bitter finish that lingers on the palate for a few seconds after swallowing. Leaves just enough piney goodness to warrant more tastes.

M - very clean with medium-low carbonation (I think I prefer it with a touch more carb like the times I've had it on draft).

O - one of my favorite IPAs period. Hop profile is very distinctive to me and I always try to get a taste every time a new batch is available.

09-03-2012 08:10:00 | More by Enish266