Bad Boy - Alpine Beer Company

Bad Boy
No picture.

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 12-03-2006

Uses Columbus and Amarillo hops.
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last

On tap at the 10th Annual San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

The aroma was wonderfully pungent. The nose was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops. A light and sweet maltiness poked through at the end.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops of a light caramel maltiness to help round things out. The hops were powerful, but the beer was very smooth. It was well attenuated and wasn't too sweet, which is were many double IPAs can loose points. The beer had a nice spiciness that I prefer in DIPAs.

The mouthfeel was crisp and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right.

A good "San Diego" Pale Ale.

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Growler provided to me by my In-Laws. Amazing hook up in the greater Escondido area! I placed a phone call to my wife about the prospect of making it out to Alpine. We couldn't due to our work schedules, so her parents grabbed us a growler. Way too awesome.

Poured into my Woodshop Classix snifter, good times.

A: Light white grape juice body with some soapy smearing lacing off of a 3 finger head. I was very pleased with the head formation out of the growler, and the bubbles pop with a fury of freshness. The body is quite clear with a lot of white wine characteristics to the body. A slow stream of bubbles whirlpools in the middle of the glass.

S: White grapefruit, pineapple juice, and some peaches really come off strong in the nose. The notes are softer, hence the "white", but it's really juicy. The hops come off very pomello and white grapefruit. There is a hard to explain lightness and dryness to the smell that just makes it seem fresh, yet mellow.

T: Really crisp white peach, white grapefruit, white nectarines, and a light currents/white cranberry dry flavor. There seems to be a bitter acidity to the flavor that I can't quite pinpoint, but it's quickly lost after repeat sips. Massive floral quality that makes me think of some foreign teas that I'm not really familiar with. Perhaps the slightest bit of orange blossom in the end.

M: Super fluffy and full dessert mousse feels in the mouth where the alcohol coats like a thin layer of honey. The hops linger with a mellow citrus rind bitterness that feigns dryness behind a flavorful layer of alcoholic marmalade. Sticky, but not quite thick with resins. It's more like having a fresh citrus jam than a wet linger of a strong booze.

O: What a big surprise, another amazingly delicious DIPA from Alpine. I really have just become so numb to the extremely high quality of their IPAS/DIPAS that I can hardly see past the incredible consistency of their work. There is more of a white citrus, fruit, and berry flavor in this than I've ever had in any other DIPA. I don't know for certain what the ingreidents in this beer were, but this certainly seems to be a Citra brew in the nose. I'm not certain if it's single hop, but the way that Alpine makes their beers to be so jammy and full convinces me than can work magic even with the most basic of ingredients. Throw in a super pungent hop and you end up with lightning in a glass like this one. Simply outstanding and worth seeking out.

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Session was growler pours (thank you sleepyhead!) into a standard pint glass. This great looking DIPA poured a light orange, almost honey-colored, with a two-finger, white-as-snow head. There was healthy, sticky lacing with good retention. The nose was wonderful - orange, mango, lemon, pine, floral and citrus hops predominating but some sweetness in the back. Taste was near perfection - tropical fuit and grapefruit with light malt notes. There was the expected (refreshing, not off-putting) moderate bitterness, especially in the finish. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied, lightly carbonated, and crisp, even after it warms. There was no hint that this could be 9%, so it's dangerously drinkable. Maybe Alpine makes an OK beer but I haven't had it and this one sure isn't it. Having now had over 150 different IPA's and DIPA's, this jumps easily near the top. Do those of you who live close to the treasure know how fortunate you are? I love this beer AND this brewery! If you get the chance - grab it!

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - slightly golden orange, with two fingers of off white head and a few legs.

S - grapefruit and pine trees

T - More floral piney hops with the citrus taking the back seat. alcohol is completely hidden.

M - creamy body with good carb, way too easy to drink.

O - Another outstanding DIPA from Alpine, who'd a guess.

4.17/5  rDev -6.5%

Decided to make a trip down to Alpine today and was greeted by an amzing tap list.

It pours a translucent copper with a nice 1 finger head of pure white foam. The head falls to a crown and doesn't leave any lacing.

It's really hard to get passed the hops in the aroma, but that's a good thing. The nose is jam packed with delicious, juicy hops. Definite citrus notes as well as some nice malt.

Taste follows the nose. The hops just grab hold of your taste buds and dont let go. Very dry finish with a nice citrus resin left behind.

The absolute perfect mouthfeel. Dry, and relatively light. This beer invites 100 degree weather to the party. Insanely refreshing and you can't notice the 9% ABV at all.

This is a great beer. It takes two glasses before you love it though. Kind of your typical DIPA at first, but after the second pour, you understand why it's rated how it is. Well done Alpine.

3.8/5  rDev -14.8%

Growler at Woodshop 7. Pours clear, vibrant golden with sticky white bubbles. Rich onion and garlic nose with mega earthy Simcoe. Taste follows suit with bitter root vegetables, parsnips, and shallot. Raw and bitter. Heavy orange pulp and peel. Bitter and earthy. Palate gains the lovely Alpine house butterscotch note famous in Duet. Nice, but the Hoppy Birthday was much better. Yum. 7/23/2012 8/4/7/4/15=3.8

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pours a golden orange/amber topped with a solid inch of head. Tight laced, but spotty foam lines my glass.
S: Distinct and crisp hop aromas abound. Delicious citrus notes are balance well within this IIPA.
T: Clean and crisp balance of hops. Citrus continues, with a light lemon-like flavor. Very hoppy, but in a good way. Light pine taste, but not overly bitter.
M: Very crisp and smooth. The body holds its flavor very well. The hops are not overwhelming, but make their presence well known.
D: Very palatable. Smooth balance and profound drinkability for a beer of this ABV and in this style. Bad Boy taste sessionable, but I think after a few the ABV would catch up to me.

3.87/5  rDev -13.2%

Bartzilla - ditto on trying it for the first time at Liar’s on Thursday. Were you that guy down the bar from me?

A nice straw/amber colored American DIPA with lots of hop aroma and flavor coming through as citrus and pine. A bit of malt balance is detectable, but this one remains crisp and refreshing with a medium body and a good carbonation level. I’ll probably be the only one to say this, but I liked it better than Pure Hoppiness.

You San Diegans are pretty lucky…..

4.55/5  rDev +2%

Drove 80 minutes West to Alpine CA to pick up some Bad Boy... Poured me some directly into a thin snifter glass.

App: Poured clear yellow/orange with a rather small head to go with it.

Smell: Wow, citris and floral scents come to life as the hops rise to the top. A hint of caramel mellows out the intense pine scent.

Taste: Very smoothe and warming as the citris hits the palate. Not as dry as I thought it would be for a DIPA.

M/D: Did not get that aftertaste as most DIPA's have. Very bold yet subtle, delicate faint and mysterious... This Bad Boy left a smile on my face. Alpine should bottle this brew. A definite hot seller and very drinkable. Way to go Alpine.

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Fresh growler from Alpine. Poured a beautiful tangerine orange with a nice white dense cap that left thick curtains of lace on my glass as I drank down. Nose is dank, hoppy, sweet and floral, magnificent on all counts. The flavor profile is extracted orange peel oils, pine, bitter lemon pith and huge hop oils. The mouth is clean, crisp, refreshing and very balanced for the rather high abv. It finishes clean and refreshing, leaving bitter orange peel and pine sap that linger for a good half minute. Excellent DIPA from Alpine.

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours golden straw color with small head and some lacing.

Smells really hoppy, lots of fruits, grapefruit, mango, lemon. A ton of hops that overwhelm the malts in a good way. I love hop forward beers from Alpine and this is a great example.

Tastes similar, with tropical fruit flavors. Finishes crisp and dry, medium body with an oily mouthfeel.

Another great IPA from Alpine.

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

From a day-old growler picked up from Alpine myself.

A - pours a very light copper/amber with a 1/4" milky-white head on an average pour

S - dank and piney in the very best way. A touch of grapefruit and pineapple sweet mixed in for good measure.

T - slippery on the tongue leading into a bitter bite. Grass and resin coat the tongue all the way down the throat. Dry, bitter finish that lingers on the palate for a few seconds after swallowing. Leaves just enough piney goodness to warrant more tastes.

M - very clean with medium-low carbonation (I think I prefer it with a touch more carb like the times I've had it on draft).

O - one of my favorite IPAs period. Hop profile is very distinctive to me and I always try to get a taste every time a new batch is available.

4.43/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is served on tap/draught. It has a golden yellow/gold pour with a small white head. Aromas consist of a floral citrus/grapefruit blend. This taste begins as it smells with a piney and bitter aftertaste. A hint of orange can also be tasted. Overall smooth and balanced

4.99/5  rDev +11.9%

Best DIPA ive ever had. it is a hop monster but so drinkable, if it was available consistently it would dethrone Heady topper, which in my opinion is highly overrated.

4.73/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm one of the blessed that lives within a few miles of places like Alpine Brewery, and whenever we hear one of the limited release brews is on tap, we make a beeline, but so far, I'd missed out on Bad Boy. They'd always just blown the keg at lunch, or two hours ago, or right before I got there! But not this time! Bad Boy, Ugly, and Pure Hopiness all available at the same time for MY personal drinking pleasure! So I did...drink...and it was a pleasure!

App-Darker amber, almost brassy color. Not as much head as most Alpine beers, but no complaints. As pretty a picture of a big bold Double IPA as you could ask for.

Smell- The only place it might fall short. The nose doesn't come anywhere NEAR advertising how much flavor there's going to be in this beer. Citrus, C-hoppy smell, with a bit of that grapefruity aroma I've come to connect with New Zealand hops (pac jade, pac gem, Nelson).

Taste- Yeah...THIS is what I want from a big Double IPA. HUGE hoppy flavors just slap you in the face. There's not enough space to list the hop flavors that jump out at you, but pine, citrus, that distinctive 'C-hop' funk, and that pineapple/grapefruit background bite that lingers. Very nicely balanced with sweet maltiness, this is a beer I can drink and drink! One at the brewery, but my growler didn't last long once I got home either. You can feel the alcohol heat, but this brew is so well balanced, that no single aspect overpowers.

Mouthfeel-A solid, malty, substantial mouthful, but that's needed to stand up to the huge flavors of this amazing brew.

Overall- I don't think I could take it if this was available all the time. It's fantastic. Start to finish, it's got everything I want from a big hoppy Imperial. Top 5 Imperial IPA style, and maybe #1!

Look: straw, pretty clear golden yellow. semi thin white head.

Smell: fresh hops and god's vagina

Taste: best part of this beer by a landslide. how is it 9% ? nobody knows. well, at least i dont.

Feel: perfect mouthfeel for a beer of this style. Medium, maybe slightly medium plus.

Overall: more people should try this beer. It's the best hoppy beer / imperial IPA in CA, and probably whole West Coast.

Thank goodness it was available a few days ago when I visited SD and this brewery for the first time.

This beer is epic. just drink it and you will know.

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

This is bar none the best IPA Alpine makes. It was a tossup for me between it and Exponential Hoppiness for awhile but the latest batch ( Week of August 27, 2012 ) turned the tide.

A: Beautiful golden appearance, copper in lower light. Crystal clear. Large 3 finger, fluffy head on a normal pour.

S: Pungeant hop aroma with a differing character from most WC IPAs - probably due to the British malts?

T: The ultimate IPA. Perfectly clean, malt/hop balance in perfection, dry finish. 9% that you can literally down a growler in an hour if you don't watch it. So damn good and smooth.

M: Resinous, syrupy, oily perfection.

I wish Alpine would switch Pure Hoppiness and this beer around. Bottle Bad Boy year round and make PH from time to time.

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

I had this down at Liar's Club last Thursday. I knew that this wasn't doing to disappoint and I was correct. So amazingly fresh tasting with just hops everywhere. Kind of tasted like a mix of Exponential Hoppiness with some of the florals from Duet.

Love it. Wish I had a keg of it at my house. Wait, scratch that. it's probably better I don't. Job and all that.

Please keep this in rotation. Delicious.

4.55/5  rDev +2%

What can I say? This is an exceptional local IPA. Actually, this style should be called a San Diego Pale Ale, because the double IPA style was invented here. Time to give the San Diego brew culture their due.

The first time I tasted this beer I was impressed. My friend brought over a full growler, but he left with an empty one. This beer is worth the trip up the hill to the Alpine Beer Company. Unfortunately, they don't make enough of it, so be sure to check before making the trip. Not to worry, though -- they always have something awesome to offer.

Thank you Pat for starting the Alpine Beer Company, and thank you Val for your warm hospitality and sense of humor. You guys always make our day. Keep up the good work!

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

It is good to live in San Diego where I live so close to places that make very good beer. Alpine Beer Company is one of these places. I have made three worth while trips to Alpine Beer Company and everytime I have gone there I have inquired about the Badboy. It is a beer that should be shared with good friends. This double I.P.A (aka San Diego pale ale) is a beer that brings relief to the strife of the everyday stress. From its wonderful honey color to it's heavenly aroma and beautiful taste, this beer can bring a smile to the most weary face.
If you are visiting the area of San Diego County and you like a good beer, I suggest a trip to the Alpine Beer Company for a growler of Badboy. There is another option if you want, you can always go to bed.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last