2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bad Boy - Alpine Beer Company

Bad Boy
No picture uploaded.

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 12-03-2006)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 367 | Reviews: 113 | Show All Ratings:
DearthVader

4.18/5  rDev -8.1%

Decided to make a trip down to Alpine today and was greeted by an amzing tap list.

It pours a translucent copper with a nice 1 finger head of pure white foam. The head falls to a crown and doesn't leave any lacing.

It's really hard to get passed the hops in the aroma, but that's a good thing. The nose is jam packed with delicious, juicy hops. Definite citrus notes as well as some nice malt.

Taste follows the nose. The hops just grab hold of your taste buds and dont let go. Very dry finish with a nice citrus resin left behind.

The absolute perfect mouthfeel. Dry, and relatively light. This beer invites 100 degree weather to the party. Insanely refreshing and you can't notice the 9% ABV at all.

This is a great beer. It takes two glasses before you love it though. Kind of your typical DIPA at first, but after the second pour, you understand why it's rated how it is. Well done Alpine.

10-08-2011 22:46:11 | More by DearthVader
grumpy

Missouri

3.88/5  rDev -14.7%

Bartzilla - ditto on trying it for the first time at Liar’s on Thursday. Were you that guy down the bar from me?

A nice straw/amber colored American DIPA with lots of hop aroma and flavor coming through as citrus and pine. A bit of malt balance is detectable, but this one remains crisp and refreshing with a medium body and a good carbonation level. I’ll probably be the only one to say this, but I liked it better than Pure Hoppiness.

You San Diegans are pretty lucky…..

12-06-2006 18:35:54 | More by grumpy
Bajasith

4.55/5  rDev 0%

Drove 80 minutes West to Alpine CA to pick up some Bad Boy... Poured me some directly into a thin snifter glass.

App: Poured clear yellow/orange with a rather small head to go with it.

Smell: Wow, citris and floral scents come to life as the hops rise to the top. A hint of caramel mellows out the intense pine scent.

Taste: Very smoothe and warming as the citris hits the palate. Not as dry as I thought it would be for a DIPA.

M/D: Did not get that aftertaste as most DIPA's have. Very bold yet subtle, delicate faint and mysterious... This Bad Boy left a smile on my face. Alpine should bottle this brew. A definite hot seller and very drinkable. Way to go Alpine.

05-24-2010 03:08:32 | More by Bajasith
LSUPT

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

Huge, massive thanks goes out to DearthVader for yet another growler of delicious California goodness (50th review, hardly a milestone, but I'll note it anyway for personal reference).

64oz growler poured to an Alpine pint. Filled about 1-2 weeks ago. Possible leakage issue during shipping but there was still a good hiss when I cracked the growler.

Pours yields a 2" off-white head that shows pretty good retention but very inconsistent lacing. The perfect clarity for this medium yellow-orange brew keeps the score so high.

Smell is excellent. Huge tropical aromas with a bit of citrus in the background. Big mango and peach, huge malty sweetness and a bit of grapefruit. Taste follows the nose for the most part with a bit more complexity in the tropical notes and big juicy resinous hops. The mango is a bit like fried mango. Screwing around in the kitchen one day a dropped a couple little pieces in the fryer with no batter and it's very akin to the wonderful flavor great DIPAs have. Low carbonation and medium mouthfeel, a bit lighter in body than similar DIPA's.

Normally, I will have finished my review when I am about half way through my drink but this stuff is insanely drinkable and I had to pour another pint before I had adequately assessed the smell. Heady Topper is on deck but for now this is the king of DIPA's, in my opinion.

10-19-2011 05:43:39 | More by LSUPT
OTB

4.7/5  rDev +3.3%

Fresh growler from Alpine. Poured a beautiful tangerine orange with a nice white dense cap that left thick curtains of lace on my glass as I drank down. Nose is dank, hoppy, sweet and floral, magnificent on all counts. The flavor profile is extracted orange peel oils, pine, bitter lemon pith and huge hop oils. The mouth is clean, crisp, refreshing and very balanced for the rather high abv. It finishes clean and refreshing, leaving bitter orange peel and pine sap that linger for a good half minute. Excellent DIPA from Alpine.

08-31-2012 21:25:26 | More by OTB
DJButters

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Similar to all DIPA. Arrives with dark gold color and a perfect head that sheds a little lace. Apperance is one thing... but how does it smell and taste?

Smell: Tropical fruit and hops so strong you feel a scatchy sensation on the back of your throat. So fresh its oozing though the glass. Last DIPA that this compares to is PtY. Is this dry hopped? Could have fooled me.

Taste: Smooth. Well done hidding the 9+%. Drinking other high ABV DIPAs leaves you with the feeling of breathing fire this brew seems to hide the fact very well. There is no bitterness on the back end, the epitome of a fresh DIPA. No malt favors distorting the back end flavor. A dance in your mouth of hops and tropical flavors.

Mouthfeel: Why not just finish the whole growler? Drinkability is so easy that one could.

Overall: A perfect DIPA IMO. I will put it side by side with Hopfather and PtY. Drink up while its fresh. Shawn knocked this one out of the park.

Serving type: on-tap at Alpine and a two growlers to go. In addition I had a Pure Hop on cask with dry hops added... very tasty.

03-31-2011 16:46:08 | More by DJButters
islandboi8204

Hawaii

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours golden straw color with small head and some lacing.

Smells really hoppy, lots of fruits, grapefruit, mango, lemon. A ton of hops that overwhelm the malts in a good way. I love hop forward beers from Alpine and this is a great example.

Tastes similar, with tropical fruit flavors. Finishes crisp and dry, medium body with an oily mouthfeel.

Another great IPA from Alpine.

12-05-2011 03:10:13 | More by islandboi8204
Enish266

4.38/5  rDev -3.7%

From a day-old growler picked up from Alpine myself.

A - pours a very light copper/amber with a 1/4" milky-white head on an average pour

S - dank and piney in the very best way. A touch of grapefruit and pineapple sweet mixed in for good measure.

T - slippery on the tongue leading into a bitter bite. Grass and resin coat the tongue all the way down the throat. Dry, bitter finish that lingers on the palate for a few seconds after swallowing. Leaves just enough piney goodness to warrant more tastes.

M - very clean with medium-low carbonation (I think I prefer it with a touch more carb like the times I've had it on draft).

O - one of my favorite IPAs period. Hop profile is very distinctive to me and I always try to get a taste every time a new batch is available.

09-03-2012 08:10:00 | More by Enish266
Schnauzerlord

4.76/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm one of the blessed that lives within a few miles of places like Alpine Brewery, and whenever we hear one of the limited release brews is on tap, we make a beeline, but so far, I'd missed out on Bad Boy. They'd always just blown the keg at lunch, or two hours ago, or right before I got there! But not this time! Bad Boy, Ugly, and Pure Hopiness all available at the same time for MY personal drinking pleasure! So I did...drink...and it was a pleasure!

App-Darker amber, almost brassy color. Not as much head as most Alpine beers, but no complaints. As pretty a picture of a big bold Double IPA as you could ask for.

Smell- The only place it might fall short. The nose doesn't come anywhere NEAR advertising how much flavor there's going to be in this beer. Citrus, C-hoppy smell, with a bit of that grapefruity aroma I've come to connect with New Zealand hops (pac jade, pac gem, Nelson).

Taste- Yeah...THIS is what I want from a big Double IPA. HUGE hoppy flavors just slap you in the face. There's not enough space to list the hop flavors that jump out at you, but pine, citrus, that distinctive 'C-hop' funk, and that pineapple/grapefruit background bite that lingers. Very nicely balanced with sweet maltiness, this is a beer I can drink and drink! One at the brewery, but my growler didn't last long once I got home either. You can feel the alcohol heat, but this brew is so well balanced, that no single aspect overpowers.

Mouthfeel-A solid, malty, substantial mouthful, but that's needed to stand up to the huge flavors of this amazing brew.

Overall- I don't think I could take it if this was available all the time. It's fantastic. Start to finish, it's got everything I want from a big hoppy Imperial. Top 5 Imperial IPA style, and maybe #1!

09-12-2013 03:47:09 | More by Schnauzerlord
evilc

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

This is bar none the best IPA Alpine makes. It was a tossup for me between it and Exponential Hoppiness for awhile but the latest batch ( Week of August 27, 2012 ) turned the tide.

A: Beautiful golden appearance, copper in lower light. Crystal clear. Large 3 finger, fluffy head on a normal pour.

S: Pungeant hop aroma with a differing character from most WC IPAs - probably due to the British malts?

T: The ultimate IPA. Perfectly clean, malt/hop balance in perfection, dry finish. 9% that you can literally down a growler in an hour if you don't watch it. So damn good and smooth.

M: Resinous, syrupy, oily perfection.

I wish Alpine would switch Pure Hoppiness and this beer around. Bottle Bad Boy year round and make PH from time to time.

08-31-2012 17:36:06 | More by evilc
Bartzilla

4.38/5  rDev -3.7%

I had this down at Liar's Club last Thursday. I knew that this wasn't doing to disappoint and I was correct. So amazingly fresh tasting with just hops everywhere. Kind of tasted like a mix of Exponential Hoppiness with some of the florals from Duet.

Love it. Wish I had a keg of it at my house. Wait, scratch that. it's probably better I don't. Job and all that.

Please keep this in rotation. Delicious.

12-04-2006 21:25:50 | More by Bartzilla
PPIBrian

4.55/5  rDev 0%

What can I say? This is an exceptional local IPA. Actually, this style should be called a San Diego Pale Ale, because the double IPA style was invented here. Time to give the San Diego brew culture their due.

The first time I tasted this beer I was impressed. My friend brought over a full growler, but he left with an empty one. This beer is worth the trip up the hill to the Alpine Beer Company. Unfortunately, they don't make enough of it, so be sure to check before making the trip. Not to worry, though -- they always have something awesome to offer.

Thank you Pat for starting the Alpine Beer Company, and thank you Val for your warm hospitality and sense of humor. You guys always make our day. Keep up the good work!

03-10-2010 07:56:16 | More by PPIBrian
PPITim

4.33/5  rDev -4.8%

It is good to live in San Diego where I live so close to places that make very good beer. Alpine Beer Company is one of these places. I have made three worth while trips to Alpine Beer Company and everytime I have gone there I have inquired about the Badboy. It is a beer that should be shared with good friends. This double I.P.A (aka San Diego pale ale) is a beer that brings relief to the strife of the everyday stress. From its wonderful honey color to it's heavenly aroma and beautiful taste, this beer can bring a smile to the most weary face.
If you are visiting the area of San Diego County and you like a good beer, I suggest a trip to the Alpine Beer Company for a growler of Badboy. There is another option if you want, you can always go to bed.

03-10-2010 07:56:46 | More by PPITim