Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Chez Monieux - Alpine Beer Company

Chez MonieuxChez Monieux

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 04-13-2008

4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

$28 from South Bay Drugs, 5.8% abv on the label.

Appearance: Gorgeous light pink upon pouring, a hue of orange emerged as my tulip becomes full.

Smell: tart, cherryish

Taste: wow, tart sour upon tasting, I got red wine, cranberries, a tad creamy upon finishing.

Mouthfee: sour, but not that sour as a RR sour brew. Refreshing, carbonation is done just perfectly fine. supremely exceptional.

Drinkability: amazing, I can drink this all night long. I rarely say this, but the hefty $28 is well spent. Not over hyped at all. One of the best beers I've had this year!!

4.87/5  rDev +27.8%

This beer pours a pinkish brown coor, with a tiny white head that fades instantly, leaving no lace.

This beer smells of cherries. It has a nice sour aroma. Slight viniger, but good. It has a slight oaky aroma also.

This beer tastes like it smells. Sour, and great. Some tart cherries and some oak are present.

This beer is low in carbonation, fitting the style. It leaves a sour cherry aftertaste.

This beer would make an excelent session beer. It tastes great, and the alcohol content is low.

Overall: This beer is great. I love it, and I wish I had more. It was worth the wait. Way to go Alpine.

4.8/5  rDev +26%

A: A dark ruby color, very fine bubbles with very little head and lacing.

S: Cherry bomb with loads of tart.

T: Lots of cherry and a very distinct funk. A lingering oakiness rounds out the taste. Lots of dry wine flavors.

MF/D: Crisp bubbles dance across the tongue, could easily drink several glasses... or bottles... of this sour. Delicious!

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

Hope my wife doesn't hear how much I paid for this one. Pours a more darker rose color than a traditional pink. Sparkling clarity. When initially poured left a fizzy pink head but quickly dissipated, but ok for style.

The nose has a sourness that is more along the lines of acetic acid with maybe a slight hint of brett notes. The cherries come out nicely with more of a sweeter marciano cherry with a sweeter tart note. Some lighter woody notes with a light vanilla and oaky finish. Both cherry and woody notes come out more as it warms adding a bit of complexity.

The taste follows suit with a nice blend of cherry and lambic tart. More acetic acid flavor/feel but blends well with the sweeter cherry notes. No really brett flavors as the nose indicated. I would have liked the complexity in the malt. But the fruity notes come out and add their own complexity. They come out more with tart cherry flavor versus sweet. Some really nice winey characteristics with other tropical fruit flavors in the finish. As it warmed though, more port with some woody and complexity in the body. Some minor white pepper notes as well. Interesting to see the change from cool to warm.

The body is dry with a nice tart finish. Very light carbonation as per style. Overall a fun beer for the palate. A lot of hidden descriptors to really enjoy. The cherries real add a depth to this beer. And as the beer warms the wood characteristic add even more complexity and intensity that really a fun beer to drink. Even the wifey enjoyed.

4.64/5  rDev +21.8%

I finally grabbed a bottle of this from Joey at South bay, the price was high, and so I naturally had very high hops for this one. One of my favorite styles, I was very interested to see what kind of take they could do on it. Nice 750ml bottle, looked almost Belgian in design, with a cool label as well. I let this one chill out in the fridge for a couple of days and then served it last night at a touch above fridge temp in my now infamous Terrapin snifter that seems to get every single last beer that I try as of late.

Appearance - The pour was very nice, taking on the appearance of a rose pink soda of sorts. The color was very nice, that light reddish, pink, rose color was sublime and it really made the pour very interesting. Some nice touches of carbonation were bubbling up throughout the session, giving hop that this would be an active brew. A very small, maybe a half inch high head of off white, slightly reddish tinted foam came up over the top at the initial pour, however this did not last long at all, and soon it faded away to nothing, leaving only the slightest touch of white lace around the sides, that was for lack of a better word unremarkable. Still, for the color alone this one gets high marks as it really did look the part.

Smell - The aroma was dominated by cherries, no surprised here. The first time I smelled it I got hit with that dark, sour note of cherry that was as advertised, however, it was upon letting this one warm up that the real magic began to happen. It seemed with each degree of warmth it got a touch sweeter, with the sour notes intermingling and you could almost feel the whole thing swirling around throughout. It was not so one sided with cherries as one might have thought, rather there was a nice subtle spiciness that started to come through on the smell. Hints of pepper and vanilla were to be found, all the while remaining very light and fruity, and again going further and further over to the sweeter side of the spectrum. By the time I finished this one, it had transformed into the sweetest, cherry aroma you could imagine, really well done here. On par with the likes of LA's Red Poppy for sure.

Taste - The flavor was equally as remarkable. This was by no means a funky, Brett laced sour ale. That is the first thing you needed to keep in mind while trying it, as it is not supposed to be. What it was is a wonderful cherry Kriek that is put together beautifully. I would have thought the filtered nature of this might have detracted from the flavor, but it did not as far as I could tell anyway. Started out with a rush of tart cherry, giving the slightest puckering to the lips before falling over the tongue. Swishing it around lets the tartness fade and a sweeter, lighter cherry flavor take its place. As you swallow, there is touch of pepper like sweetness that starts to come through, I thought this was very nice and added a great deal of depth to it, even tingling the tongue at times. Hints of a slight wine or grape like flavor are there way in the back, no doubt a relic of the barrel aging which also contributes some of the oak like flavors to it and a touch of vanilla, that while not really a main contributor to the overall profile, merged well with the pepper and really brought it out nicely. The finish was short and sweet, with a slight touch of drying and the long lingering flavor of dark cherry and spices.

Mouthfeel - The eel was nice, albeit a little flatter then I would have liked to have seen. It was definitely a light bodied ale, my only wish would have been that the slightest more carbonation have been added to this one as I really think it would have made a great deal of difference overall and would have really improved the overall profile. Still though, there was some light carbonation and the flavor was definitely rich enough to carry the whole thing through for me.

Drinkability - An outstanding drinker this was one I wished would never have ended. The low ABV lended itself well to being session able, however the profile was soo full that you could only help but take little sips, cherishing each one as they swirled around, really letting the complexity of this sink in. That being said, I could have easily polished off another bottle without a care.

Overall I would have to say this one was excellent. Was it worth $28 a bottle, I am not sure, however I will tell you this, I would most certainly buy another one. I think this is something everyone should get to try. It is rare to see an American brewer but forth such a quality effort in this style, and this was simply outstanding. I cannot wait to get to try it again. One of the best I have had.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to hopdog for this...
A play on words here, "Shame on you".
Appears a transparent, orange toned amber with a small white cap that quickly fades. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, cherries, cranberries, & dank horseblanket.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a standout fruit salad flavor that starts to take control of this brew.
Mouthfeel is creamy, citrusy, funky, tart, fruity, with an acidic finish.
I think I liked this more than anyone else that had it that night. Lovely, lovely beer.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

750 ml bottle acquired in a trade with KingG, thanks to Joey for giving me the opportunity to try this beer, this was an expensive brew at twenty-seven dollars, split with my girlfriend and her family tonight, bottle said 5.8% ABV, aged for at least twelve months, poured into a fulte glass

A-Pinkish orange color that was bright and inviting, head was only a quarter inch and was super bubbly, went away almost immediately, no lacing or retention, but carbonation but this look nice

S-Can you say cherries, cranberries, tangerines, and oranges were the other fruits that really stuck out to me, lots of oak which is weird for a fruity beer, some tart, funkiness, no barnyard or horse blanket though, tiny vinegar aroma at the very beginning

T-You guessed it cherries right up front, fade into a funky berry flavor in the middle, finish has both oak and tart, the sourness was obviously crisper while it was cold but that does not mean it went away once it warmed, cherries were great tasting and I can see why Alpine forked over so much money to get them, funk was prominet in this one and I really enjoyed it, the flavor was great and the sourness was almost just right in my opinion

M-Sour, tart, slightly dry, and sweet mouthfeel, one of the more sour lambics I have tasted, huge amount of carbonation that was fitting, thin body, taste lingered for a few minutes at a time, aggressive and lively mouthfeel

D-Could drink multiple big bottles of this, it is so drinkable it is scary and the ABV is pretty low, goes down like a cherry 7Up or something, no alcohol whatsoever, super smooth, wish I had more immediately after my last sip

Price tag scared me at first but I am sucker for both Alpine and lambics, although at a little over a dollar an ounce I was still skeptical, so that did not help me out in holding back on this one, one of their best brews yet, probably would not drink again for this price but it was awesome and I enjoyed every drop of my glass, highly recommended

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a very interesting strawberry red color but with very little head. What there is fades almost immediately. Smells of tart cherries and a bit phenolic. A touch of almond and cream as well as a bit of funk. The taste is amazing, however. Bright, bright cherries followed by some acetic qualities and some light horseblanket funk that then fades into a beautiful cherry cream flavor. Very pure tasting, especially the fruit and the sour elements, but with just enough fruit to make it interesting. A bit of sweetness at the end rounds it out and gives it the slightest bit of cherry creamsicle flavor. Overall, though it is quite tart and not sweet. Mouthfeel is clean and pure and nicely sour. Very nice effort and definitely a bit different from other sours.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Picked up a bottle not too long ago from SBD&L, thanks go to Joey. Split this with my Dad to celebrate the 4th of July.

Pours a beautiful pinkish color with a bit of orange around the edges, with a soft white head that apparently wasn't meant to live in this world. Many little effervescent bubbles are rushing to the surface. No lacing on this one.

My first smell was very sour. Lots of acetic acid and minimal hints of cherries. As the beer warmed, however, the cherries became the dominant smell. But not your typical sweet-candied cherry smell, this is the smell of the juiciest, ripest, tart cherries that are what you dream of on a hot summer day. Fantastic.

Similar to the smell, my first taste misled me a bit. With my first sip, there was a rush of sourness that dominated my palate, which quickly gave way to cloying sweetness, which then left with a trace of cherry and red wine. It seemed unbalanced. Weirdly, one sip later and my impression changed dramatically. Lush, tart, cherries, just like the smell. But now with a more lactic acid sour, and the wine-barrel notes smooth it out nicely. There was some distinct sweetness, which normally is my least favorite characteristic of a lambic, but here it complements the sour cherry perfectly. As it warmed the sweetness faded, and more musty barrel notes showed up.

The carbonation on this was great at first, but it dissipated a bit too quickly for my tastes. With just a slightly thicker presence, this beer would capture the essence of the cherry perfectly.

My rating criteria for drinkability is as follows: if I desperately want to drink more when I'm done with my bottle, it gets a top notch score. This is a 5, at least.

As much as it pains my wallet, I will be seeking out another bottle of this beer. It's worth it.

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this at the brewpub almost two weeks ago. This review's from notes.

Pours purplish brown with red glints. A foamy, clingy off-white head coats the glass in lace striations. The aroma is pleasantly funky with barnyard and horse blanket abounding. Tart cherries and lactic acid also make themselves known. I love the high level of funk. The taste is sour with an acetic acid and a lactic acid mixing with plenty more funk. Tart cherry notes are also present. Minerals show with warmth. The mouthfeel is very light on the carbonation with a somewhat watery body. Sourness and sweet fruit notes mix in the dry finish.

This is a fantastic North American take on a Lambic. All the right funk in the right places and a good fruit presence. Ultra dry as well. Try this beer. I'd say it's underrated here.

4.42/5  rDev +16%

Visited Alpine Beer Company after hiking Stonewall this morning and picked up 8 bottles between me and a friend (4 bottle limit per person) for $19.00 each. Poured this one into an Odell's branded tulip glass - bomb!

My bottle says 7% ABV. Not 5.80% as listed above.

A: Pours a hazed deep cherry mahogany hue with a pinkish head that dissipates after a few sips - small amounts of lacing throughout.

S: Cherry acidity, light vinegar, wood, vanilla bean, and wild yeast.

T: Tons of tart cherries up front - acidic, tart and fruity. Citrus rinds and dry wood follow to round this one out nicely.

M: Light-bodied, crisp and dry with an acidic bight that lingers a while....somewhat mellow carbonation - wish it had a bit more but i'm splitting hairs here.

Unbelievably tasty for the style. I Dropped $150. on 8 bottles without a bat of the eye - looking forward to drinking the other 7 over the holidays.

Also - this one should have wine-makers shakin' in their boots!

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a clear, dark pinkish red color with a light rose head that fades really fast. The smell is tart at first, but after that it is big on the sweet and sour cherry. You get both components, but mostly a sour cherry smell. The taste is nice and moderately acidic, cherry there unmistakably. The mouthfeel on this beer is very light and effervescent. I actually wouldn't have minded a fraction higher body on this. Really a good and interesting sour beer to drink. Not as complex as I would think, but pretty straight forward as far as acid + cherry goes. Tasty beer.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

A-Small, tight, pink bubbles that settles to little wisps. Very dark red/brown brew.

S- Very sweet and a little vinegary, reminds me of balsamic vinegar at first.

T-Mouth puckering and a cheek killer. It was pretty tart at first with some sour and lots of cherry flavor in there.

M-Sharp at first, highly carbonated with a light body.

O-Smell gets more complex as it warms and becomes enjoyable. This beer is good now and has enough body to hold up and add complexity over time.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

(i know this will be a vAgue review but...)

An Amazing Cherry Beer(sour).
Fragrant with loads of cherries, great drink-ability, and well balanced/made.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

A-Bright copper with a reddish tint. Thin white head holds n well and leave spotty lace.

S-Exactly like a bowl of sour cherries. Not much else to say other than that!

T-Stinging, tart, sour cherries. A light twang of oak and balsamic vinegar in the finish, Certainly sour but not super tart.

M-Light bodies with long lingering sour flavours. Nice oak astringency in the finish too.

D-Nice and tart, well done. A lambic made as well as thier hoppy beers....the accomplished brewmaster never ceases to amaze me! Well done Alpine!

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a red hue with a touch of white foam at the top. Nose is harshly sour with strong vinegar tones. Real strong antiseptic fragrance. Flavor is actually quite smooth. Sour and fruity, the cherries add a nice touch to a moderately sour brew. Definite barnyard funky on there as well. I also feel like I am getting vanilla here? Liquid is smooth and the carbonation is low. This is surprisingly easy to drink. The nose was advertising different, but it ends up being quite nice.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Shared a bottle with Joey (thanks for bringing a bottle) and Tony from La Bella's in Chula Vista last night.

Poured the color of cherry 7-up with some fizzy carbonation. The aroma was of tart cherries, really good cherries, and also lots of vinegar, vinous with wine qualities from the barrels, and the oak coming in near the finish. As the beer warmed up Joey and Tony mentioned it getting some buttery aroma but I didn't detect much, probably drank mine too quickly. The taste was of tart cherries, salt, vinegar and the oak in the finish just like in the aroma.

This is a very good beer and I would love to drink it again but the price is a big setback (around $28 a bottle). I'd say that Alpine did a good job with this beer.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Clever name. Served on-draught into a tulip at Alpine's brewpub in Alpine. Expectations were high given Alpine's reputation. Reviewed from notes taken in October 2012.

A: Pours a half finger purple-beige head of good cream, thickness, and retention. Body colour is a purple-grey; the pretentious might say ecru. Quite dull but nevertheless appealing. Nontransparent; opaque.

Sm: Red wine, tinges of vinegar, cherry, esters, clean malts. A mild strength, delightfully subtle aroma.

T: Cherry, sourness, clean malts, heavy grape, bacteria, vibrant wild yeast. No real funk; it's quite clean. Red wine and vinegar are present alongside light lactic notes. Complex and tasty. Subtle. A touch watery, though. Everything you'd want in a good kriek. Crisp, clean, and quite enjoyable. The tartness could be increased; that's my main minor gripe.

Mf: Crisp, wet, and smooth. Lip-smacking tasty. A touch too thin. Suits the flavours quite well.

Dr: Very drinkable. Flat-out delicious. I'll get this again right away [I did, actually]. Well priced, at least at Alpine. A fantastic brew from Alpine. Just lovely. An excellent American Sour; right up there with Russian River's offerings in my book.

Low A

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Shared with TexasWayne & BevmoIan (thanks for buying!) at Bitter & Sour. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours bubblegum pink with a bubbly, one-finger pink head. Almost no retention at all, but a nice, chunky collar is left behind.

S - Lots of tart grapefruit and cherries. Some horsey funk. An interesting spice note that's hard to put my finger on. Strong barrel influence, with wine and vanilla notes.

T - Tart grapefruit and cherries, red wine, vanilla, cinnamon, and stone fruits (peaches & nectarines). Cinnamon is the aforementioned spice for sure, as its presence is much stronger on the palate. Some horsey funk as well.

M - Bright & champagney. Medium length, off-dry finish.

D - Very high. I wish I had more of it to enjoy.

We got this on a recommendation, and it turned out very well. A very solid sour that I hope to have again.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Alpine Beer Company Chez Monieux
750 mL brown bottle (capped)

A: poured into a snifter. Pours a crsip bright, vibrant orangish red. just a dash of orange. Nice rose color head that dissipates rather quickly. low head retention rate and a fair amount of lacing.

S: nice solid cherry aroma, with a serious amount of vanilla. I can pull some of the oak barrels adn the red wine. nice sour aroma.

T: very tart cherry flavor. I am tasting some serious oak in this as well. Great lactic acid sours. In the finish, i get some of that vanilla, and a little bit of that red wine.

M: very sweet and crisp, with some nice tartness. mild body and a light carbonation level.

D: After the initial sip, and I was skeptical about paying $27 a bottle for this. Good thing no one I know likes lambics, so I had to drink the entire bottle. This gave me and the beer some time to "warm" up to each other. This was a great treat, but probably a one time deal for me at the price. Give it a shot, but share the weath...my only regret.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Hazy ruby red with an off-white, slightly pink head. The head retains fairly well for a fruit beer. I was surprised to find that this beer isn't bottle conditioned.

Smell: Tart, acidic cherries dominate the nose and let little else shine through at first. As the beer warms, notes of oak and vanilla become more prevalent with a hint of butterscotch.

Taste & mouthfeel: Sweet and sour cherries, leaning toward the sour side. Lactic acid and oak follow the cherry flavor with undertones of dry red wine and vanilla. The beer ends on a soft buttery note - it's neither as dry nor as sour as I was expecting, but it's very good. The light body and mild sourness really enhance the drinkability of this beer; it's very refreshing and nearly quaffable.

Notes: Very nice stuff. Definitely not a lambic, not in the traditional sense at least - there's absolutely no funk here, and the sourness is quite tame. This beer is more comparable to Russian River's Supplication or Lost Abbey's Red Poppy.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Chez Monieux is a lighter gold color. It’s crystal clear. A little light gives it a bit of an orange look. Carbonation looks active initially, producing a white head that rises to finger quickly. It falls just as fast. Lacing was very light and stringy.

The nose is good. It’s a little musky and funky up front. There’s no doubt about the presence of Brett or some other wild yeast. It smells fairly modest though. Suits me just fine. There’s definitely a good bit of sour cherry. Oak and vinous notes are also present from the wine barrel aging. There’s an earthy quality to it that permeates throughout. It’s a bit grainy. Alcohol is buried.

The flavor is even a little more impressive. Tart cherries kick it off. It’s nice a nice, moderate tart flavor. Nothing mouth puckering. Wild yeast definitely gives it a funky flavor. It’s also a bit restrained. That’s a great combo for me. Too much funk or cherry would probably be a bad thing for this guy. The wine barrel aging definitely imparted a nice oak flavor. It’s a little vinous, but I wouldn’t characterize it as tannic. Alcohol is never a factor. Finishes tart and a little funky. Excellent stuff.

Chez Monieux has a medium body that’s surprisingly smooth. Carbonation is actually rather light, and helps smooth it out. This stuff goes down easy. A 750 = no problem at all.

I’ve always been a fan of Alpine Beer Company. I always associate them with IPAs. Who knew they’d do such a nice job with a barrel-aged Lambic featuring wild yeast. I’m honestly a bit shocked at how good this is. I never tried it fresh. Perhaps it’s just improved over the past three years. I don’t know if Alpine ever plans on brewing this again, but they should strongly consider it. Very impressive.

750ml bottle.

Poured a medium orangish (with a pink tint) color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of cherry pie, some wood, vanilla, musty,and a trace of red wine. Tastes of cherries, wood, caramel, and bretty. Started lightly sweet and finishes tart.

Notes from 8/13/08

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Pours a rich reddish pink color with a white head. Color is pretty fantastic.

S: Tons of tart cherries and cherry skin. Some faint funk as well. I'm definitely digging this smell.

T: I was expecting this to be sweet, but this is tart as hell. Tons of unripe cherries and tannic cherry skins. Some notes of funk in the background. Another solid beer from Alpine.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

750ml bottle sampled side by side with Briscoe.

Yellow/orange/pink in appearance with a bubbly head on top that shows off the mellow carbonation here. Aromas bring strong acidic sour notes with vinegar accents upfront. Cherries are well placed along with woody oak. Stings the nose a bit.

Flavor starts with good cherry fruit that moves into acidic, tart funkiness. The mouth puckers as this one goes down with dry, woody oak tastes and even a touch of vanilla. Lingering vinegar fruitiness on the finish. Brace yourself for this one!

Mouthfeel is lighter with mellow carbonation. Goes down easily enough, just make sure you have some antacids nearby! A tasty interpretation of a kriek here, but I do agree that at $28 it was overpriced. A good bottle to share and I'm glad autumnaldave shared this one with me as I shared my Briscoe!

Chez Monieux from Alpine Beer Company