Ichabod Ale 2008 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2008Ichabod Ale 2008

good

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 11-01-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Floydster:
3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Red Carpet Wine in Glendale for $7.79, split with my dad yesterday, poured into my weizen glass

A-Pours a deep dark brown with some mahogany edges, 3/4 inch creamy beige head that stays around about ten minutes, nice retention, not much lacing
S-Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk chocolate, cream, wheat, brown sugar, yeast other spices, roasted malts, earthiness, toasted bread, bananas, and some anise
T-Taste is watered down and did not have enough malt backbone to really make it work, the pumpkin is not near as prominent as I hope for either, the aroma kind of fooled me on that end, starts off with some mild spciy and earthy accents, the middle has some breadier malt but not much, pumpkin is in the finish with roasted malts, some light chocolate comes to the surface later on along with the nutmeg that was also stronger in the smell, flavor was enjoyable but it was just lacking that extra push, way too light for its style
M-Mouthfeel was the weakest part of this brew, very light, slightly spicy, a bit roasty and smoky even at times, medium bodied, strong level of carbonation for its style, taste does not linger
D-Could drink a bomber and that would be about it, taste gets a little old, alcohol is low at five percent but seems higher at times from its taste, flavor can be heavy on the stomach

A Bavarian dunkelweizen with pumpkin sounds very interesting and this beer delivered that, it was not nearly as good as last year's wild pumpkin ale in my opinion though, although it seems to be selling just as well, I might drink this again but will not go out of my way, still worth trying

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Tap @ O'Briens. Pours dark, dark brown with a creamy off-white head. Veggie and smoke aroma with a fair amount of spice. Taste was hard to pin down. Malty and creamy with a bit of cocoa and roast, but also a nutmeg and cinnamon kick. Throughout there is a strange taste that can only be described as tasting the way a jack o'lantern smells as it burns. I really don't know whether I liked this one or not.

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Huge thanks to csmiley for splitting the bomber.

Ichabod's an interesting beer. I originally thought this was a pumpkin ale. A dunkelweizen, eh? Alright. Pours a dark mahogany brown color. It's very close to opaque. A hint of light cuts through giving it a slight garnet hue. It's topped off with a vanilla colored head that's about a finger or so deep. It was quick to recede and left light strands of lace lining the glass.

The nose continues its interesting trek. It starts out a little malty. There's a cocoa-ish aroma from chocolate malts. It doesn't exactly smell sweet. It comes across as slightly sour smelling. It's a little musky and a bit funky smelling. There's some light pumpkin. It's not very pronounced, but is noted. Pumpkin spices? I'm not getting that. Hops are noted and give it an earthy scent. Grains are noted throughout each whiff. Ichabod's not a bad smelling beer, but it's far from artful. The components don't seem to mesh well and are perceived as individual parts rather than a well orchestrated symphony.

The flavor profile is consistent with the nose. It kicks off with a little cocoa. There's some perceived chocolate, but no real sweetness. Ichabod is grainy and earthy throughout. It features an interesting musky flavor that's not altogether good. In terms of pumpkin, there's not a great deal. Perhaps a slight pumpkin flavor, rather than pumpkin spice. I'm not picking up any nutmeg or cinnamon. Interesting. There are some hops that give it a bit of a buzzy bite. They're very welcome here and definitely help. It finishes dry and a little bitter. Overall, the flavor's a bit disappointing. The bland pumpkin flavor...well....strike that. None of the flavors work very well together. It's honestly very jumbled and merely okay.

The body is medium and is smooth. Carbonation is dialed down pretty low. This is probably Ichabod's greatest asset. It does have a nice feel. Drinkability is average. The flavor's not working well for me. I'm glad I don't have the whole bomber to myself. It'd be a struggle.

Ichabod's disappointing. At least this 2008 release is disappointing. I had high hopes for this one and had looked forward to it for a long time. Unfortunately, the various scents and flavors do not work well together at all. It needs a good bit of work all around to improve. I'm guessing Alpine releases a different beer for this each year. That'd be a good thing in my book. If so, I'd be more than happy to give this one a go next year. As for this one, it's pretty forgettable.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Review dated 12/19/2008. Bomber from City Beer.

An interesting and complex beer, the first I have tried from Alpine. I want to dock them some points for calling a lager an ale, but I will let em off easy. Flavor is dominated by roasted malt with strong pumpkin and spices and some acidity. It is a little more watery on the mouthfeel than you would expect, but then again, as much as they try to deny it, it is a lager so you cannot fault it there.

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle into a couple of pint glasses. Thanks go to HopDerek for splitting this one.

Pours black with a finger of reddish and burnt tan colored head. Retains mostly with a thinnish ring around the edges and is absolutely dead in the middle. Swirling yields a cascade of moderately spotty lace and brown oils up on the sides of the glass. I can actually pick up some light notes of roasted pumpkin seeds in the aroma, along with some cinnamon and nutmeg spicing, which give the nose just the tiniest bit of zip. Heavy wheat and chocolate sweetness stands out to me as well, as does some green floral character in the back. Light warmth stealthily glides just under the other flavors.

The taste starts out with greenish pumpkin meat and toasted seeds, along with some sharp spicing that gives this a springy feel in the mouth. Bready wheat, cocoa powder, and maybe even some vanilla in there add some malty sweetness to the profile. There's some hop character that floats along the back of the taste but most of the green flavors that I'm getting seem to be coming from the pumpkin. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied with a lower feeling carbonation that gives this a more slick and viscous feel in the mouth. Considering the amount of maltiness in the taste, this works surprisingly decently.

A Pumpkin Dunkelweizen is an interesting brewing choice, and while even though the whole thing kind of seemed a bit muddled at first, this somehow worked for me. The combination of the toasted pumpkin, spices, and thicker malts gave this a pleasant harvest-time imbibing feel. I would have definitely have drank a few bombers of this last fall if it had been local to me.

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%

An interesting brew, this beer pours a rich and dark milk chocolate brown from the keg. A rich tan head sits and stays atop the brew, diminishing to a quarter inch at half a glass and leaving heavy yet thin lacing.

Initial notes were of coffee and stout notes, moving towards a bit of porter as some chocolate and nut were present as well. Even more nut as the head wore off and a bit of sour yeast at the bottom. Overall however, the nose is rather light and the taste is moderate of malts and light spice.

Did not pick up the pumpkin or banana to the point that I wonder if I got the actual product. This is certainly not what I would expect from a Dunkel. Smooth and easy on the feel and good drinkability given the feel and light ABV.

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

650 bomber from Beverages 4 less. $4.99

Look: A hazy, opaque, dark brown pour with a two finger khaki head that had good retention.

Aroma: I have a bit of sinus congestion so my nose is not at its best today, but here goes--Moderate in strength with coffee, licorice, nuts and wet dog.

Taste: Mostly mocha and coffee flavors with spices filling in the sides, and a touch of biter walnuts filling in the back end.

Palate: A bit thinner than I would have preferred, but it builds to a lightly malty conclusion.

Finish: Short and clean with a lingering malts.

D: Very drinkable beer, a wonderful addition to the Ichabod series.

2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance- This stuff is jet black. I don't even see any high-lights when I hold it up to the light. Nice, 2-finger tan, foamy, head. No staying power, no lacing. Not very impressive for a dunkel.

Smell- The smell has a nice Holiday feel to it. Nice toasty notes, some roasted malts, fairly complex melange of various spices (all-spice, cinamin, nutmeg) and a bit of yeastiness and some tartness.

Taste- Huge roasted malt taste. Some caramel malt and maybe a touch of chocolate in there as well and very light clove. Maybe a hint of licorice and coriander to. Not outstanding, but not to awful.

Mouthfeel- Oddly thin. Affects not only the mouthfeel, but detracts from the flavor to. Good carbonation.

Drinkability? Not great, but not bad.

4.15/5  rDev +19.6%

I was able to grab my fair share of these from Joey recently. This is always a treat for me this time of year, as one of my favorite seasonal releases by far. Served this one chilled, and poured it into a tall pilsner glass. This was consumed on 11/17/2008.

The pour was very nice, with a deep, dark brown color coloring through right away. Very nice look to this one I have to admit, with a one inch high head of tan coming up over the top and settling down nicely with a good bit of side glass lacing. Solid.

The aroma was loaded down with caramel malts, and a good amount of roasted notes to it as well. Some light hints of chocolate rolling around in there as well as a nice touch of light spice. The flavor was more of the same. Classic Weizenbock here, with a deep malt profile, that was nicely accented by hints of light grain, chocolate and a touch of spice. Interesting mixture to say the least. Smooth and creamy, a very rich feel with a very solid carbonation profile. Smooth, and delightfully drinkable, I had no issue at all with getting this one down in no time.

Overall I thought this was an excellent seasonal from Alpine. Solid in every sense of the word with no real weakness so to speak. I would have no issue at all with this one should it come my way again.

3.78/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bottle purchased recently at Hollingshead's.

A- Poured into a an Allagash tulip glass, this beer pours black with some clear brown hues towards the bottom of my glass. A very brief head that's light brown in color quickly settles to a thick ring along the inside of my glass.

S- Thick aromas of heavily-roasted malted barley and...coffee? The characteristic aromas of the style are understated. Banana and clove are sort of there if you really dig for them, but notes of holiday spices such as nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon are more prevalent.

T- At first, the taste is thin and slightly metallic, but the middle flavors save the day with roasted, bready malts, pumpkin pie spices, and bitter chocolate. There's a peculiar tartness that shows up towards the finish, which yields flavors of squashy pumpkin flesh, toasted grain, and coffee.

M- The mouthfeel is thin and bit watery, with a moderate amount of prickly carbonation that feels a tad too aggressive. I expected a more rich and smooth texture.

D- The 5% ABV makes this a pretty drinkable beer, but I just didn't feel compelled to explore it any further than my initial pour. I would have liked a more rich flavor that more closely resembled a dunkelweizen. Still good though.

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured a dark auburn/chocolate color with some nice hues as it poured. It quickly formed a beautiful 2-finger tan colored head that stuck around for a good while.

The spice aroma hits you first but the sweet dark malts are right there behind making sure the spice does not get unruly. The esters are present and there's a certain aroma that is predominant, I can't place what it is but it's not too pleasant. If chalky were an aroma then that would be it.

Tasting this brew was not what I expected at all! I guess I shouldn't have gone into this with a preconceived notion of what it'll taste like. The spices are present especially the nutmeg and it's eugenol is present. They actually lend a chalky taste to this brew. The ever ominous dark malts come through with a subtle chocolate flavor matched with a roasty flavor. A hit of a spicy/herbal hop bite coming in (or the spice could be from the phenols). The flavor also offers up some nutty malty notes.

It's light/medium bodied. The carbonation is perfect though. Finishes dry.

It's a lightweight beer at 5% so you can knock back a few of these pretty safely. Would I knock back more than one? Probably not, that's not saying it's a bad brew, as it offers up an interesting drink.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle shared thanks to Josh.

Poured a dark black color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of roast, lightly earthy, some spices,a nd light pumpkins. Tastes of pumpkin seeds, chocoalte, caramel, and some spices. The pumpkin (both aromas and tastes) where on the softer and subtle side.

3.64/5  rDev +4.9%

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a clear dark brown with a medium tan head that quickly reduces to a crown. The smell is pumpkin and spice? It's actually quite subdued but the beer could be too cold. The taste is nutmeg with a hint of chocolate and roast. The mouth feel is thin and fleeting. While this is an easily drinkable that doesn't offend it doesn't leave me wanting for more. But I'm not well acquainted with the style so my opinion may be unfair.

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Well, I bought this one thinking it was the Wild Ale. Oh well, it'll have to do...

A: Pours just about black with a small mocha colored foam.

S: There is only a slight pumpkin aroma, but lots of coffee and a mild spice character.

T: The pumpkin taste is a bit more pronounced than the aroma. A malty, wheat bready quality and sweetness. There is a subtle spiciness and a hint of vanilla.

M: There is moderate carbonation and a medium body.

D: I was pretty disappointed at my mistake, especially because Dunkels are not really my thing. The pumpkin flavor was mild, and I would have liked more, but still a decent beer.

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Pours dark opaque brown with a small fizzy head which dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S- Malt, nutmeg and other spices. Light pumpkin spice aromas.

T- The flavors that come through when you smell it are the same ones there when you taste it. Has a bit of smokiness to it.

M- Feels a bit fizzy, but smooth in the mouth.

D- Easily drinkable. I could probably easily go through a couple of bombers in a night.

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

22oz bottle received from seaoflament as an extra in a trade. Thanks, Carlos, I was waiting to buy this one. Into my Guinness pint glass. Given the nature of the beer, I'm reviewing this more as a pumpkin ale rather than a dunkelweizen.

A: For all intents and purposes, this one is black. Holding it against a strong light reveals nothing but hazy reddish brown highlights. A brown head rises and recedes quickly to a disk, leaving no lace, allowing me to fill my glass up again.

S: On the nose, this is pretty solid with cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin puree rounding out the back end. The clove notes are delicate and by being a yeast byproduct rather than an ingredient, it's different. This beer, more than any, smells like pumpkin bread instead of pumpkin pie, and that makes it more appealing in that I can see myself drinking a lot of this, just like I'd eat a lot more bread than pie (maybe). *As this warms up, there's a more pronounced creamy chocolate note

T: Interesting! This beer opens up with plenty of nutmeg and cinnamon along with pumpkin before a rather pronounced roasted wheat flavor. There's some chocolate in there too, behind the pumpkin and wheat and it all works together pretty darned well. On the finish, this beer dries up and bringing out some clove and nutmeg.

M: This is my only complaint with this beer - it's a little over-carbed IMO. While this level of carbonation would work with a traditional dunkelweizen, it's a little high for this beer. Otherwise, this beer is pretty good with a medium-light body and a pleasing finish *As I let this sit and it loses some carbonation, that complaint goes out of the window and I wish for a little more body. Oh well!

D: At 5%, this is something I could drink more of. I'm a fan

4.15/5  rDev +19.6%

Served on nitro at O'Briens.

A: Served in a pint glass, this beer was a good dark color with a smooth creamy head that was not going anywhere quickly. Looked to have a decent body.

S: Right away you can smell the pumpkin and the spices, although I would say less than if this were a true pumpkin ale. The pumpkin/fall take on the dunkelweisse style added some complexity to the nose, but offered an inviting scent. Smells like it would pair well with a freshly baked sugar spiced donut.

T: I have to say that I had this earlier from the bottle and was slightly disappointed, but on the nitro-tap, this beer was really a treat. The flavors of pumpkin, nutmeg, dark sugar all blended together perfectly and created a delicious fall brew. I have shyed away from some other fall seasonals, but this one made me feel like going on a hayride. Really gives a lingering taste, unlike the bottle which I felt dropped out a little on the back end

M: Smooth. Really smooth. The carbonation was at a perfect level, beer was slightly warming but not in an alcohol kind of way. Coats the entire mouth and sticks around for a good finish.

D: This beer in lighter in body than in looks, and was actually very drinkable. I would put this so far as one of my top fall seasonals, although I think much of the enjoyment was due to the serving style.

Overall, Ichabod 2008 is not quite as good as last year, but then again it is completely different. I would urge to try on tap, but the bottle still retains most of the core flavors. Great style to blend with a autumn beer.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Very muddy brown appearance and thick with some carbonation streaming up the sides of the chalice. A fluffy yet refined tan head fades into a foamy blanket.

Chocolate with nutmeg, cinnamon, hints of wheat, milk chocolate, hints of clove, and cinnamon. With some more chocolate.

Unfortunately this beer is lacking complexity which I'm very suprised about. Roasty malts with hints of clove and hints of chocolate. The pumpkin pie spices come through on the finish but it's just lacking depth of flavor. Very one dimensional and thin. I think a dunkelweizenbock would have worked better:)

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz 2008 dunkelweizen version into a pint glass. Thought this was the wild ale version, oh well.

A- Ichabod 08 pours dark with a fairly mostly brown color bordering on black depending how you look at it. A nice fizzy dark tan head that faded leaving minimal lace.

S- Fairly abundant on the spice factor with nutmeg clove and cinnamon. Getting some wheat scents as well as yeast. Some chocolate in the distance.

T- A robust dunkle with more porter notes with some roasted malts and some vreadiness. The spices are throughout with the ones mentioned above. This one is quite nutty with warming. Maybe some pumpkin, but i'm not getting alot.

M- This one goes down a bit above thin but is silky which is weird based on presentation. A good amount of carb for a dunkel. The spices stick around long after sipping. Nice carb.

D- At 5% quite sessionable but I preferred to share this as a whole bottle to the head would be muck. An interesting take on a dunkel but I won't be revisiting.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

Pours a nice black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some toffee/chocolate/coffee. The taste is sweet, malty, nice touch of dark stuff. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty brew.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: More stout-like than anything else, with a mignight brown color (ruby highlights) and a massive head that leaves a reasonable amount of stranding behind

Smell: Smells like an old pumpkin spice cabinet, with black bread, nutmeg and cinnamon elements

Taste: Tamarind, with a developing sour fruity character; the subtle black bread, nutmeg and cinnamon character stand out by mid-palate and after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I don't think Alpine should have ever used the word "Dunkelweizen" in describing this beer as that has thrown off countless reviewers as this does not now nor apparently never has tasted much like a Dunkelweizen; I think it is uniquely interesting and if it had more Dunkleweizen character to it would be a much better beer; as it stands it is just OK; Alpine might be on to something and I hope they figure it out with a future edition of this brew

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »