Ned - Alpine Beer Company

to view more.
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 38
Reviews by mattwjones:
4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a bomber bought in Alpine yesterday and poured into a large snifter.

A: Looks brown at first but has a definite red hue when you hold it to the light. Has nice lacing that clings to the glass after each sip.

S: Funky fresh! I can smell the delightful belgian funk and the smell makes you anticipate the sour goodness that is going to come next.

T: The taste is immediately sour, but as the tart sensation fades there is a satisfying malty warmth that is left on your tongue. There is so much going on that I am having trouble describing individual flavors. Although I cannot find the words to describe what I am tasting, I am thoroughly loving this beer.

M: Carbonation is crisp on the tongue and the sour is intense but not puckering.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. The ABV not a hinderance and the sour character of this beer makes it very refreshing. I have sipped and gulped from my glass and have found both to be satisfying.

I am a sour/belgian noob but I have had a couple to date and I think that Ned from Alpine is the best one that I have had so far. I will definitely be picking up some more of this beer if I can make it back over to Alpine before they run out!

4/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a red amber color with a white head. The aroma is caramel with some light tartness. The flavor is fruit, iced tea, light tartness and caramel malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A pretty nice Flanders Red Ale, but not among the best I have tried.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this, Jordan!

Dark magenta and ruby throughout with a thin light khaki colored head that leaves spots of stick down the glass.

Tart aroma consisting of sweet and sour dark fruits (cherry and perhaps plum), stinging sourness, a touch of vinegar, and a little bit of oak.

The flavor follows the aroma very similarly, though I simply wish it was more sour. The tart cherries and plum characteristics return with the oak making more of a heavy-handed presence than in the aroma. Very tasty.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with low to ample carbonation. I would have preferred a more bubbly body.

A very nice and incredibly drinkable version of the style. Jordan mentioned the folks at Alpine had given this bottle to him before its eventual release, and that it was still very, very young. Perhaps we should have sat on it for longer? I would love to revisit this one again.

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%

1st trip to alpine brew and could not have had a better time. Everyone was cool and got to hang with Pat. My buddy and I were at the brewery for around 8hrs and it was epic.

A - Brownish red body with a fair sized head resting on top. A standard looking flanders - more head however then I expected. A big plus.

S - Sour sir. Like mouth puckering sour. Oak and cherry in this is fantastic. Get those saliva glands pumping at full speed ahead.

T - Cherry / oak / sour patch kids / lightness of red vinegar. Oh yeah thats a flanders all right. Not really a funk, just a blast of sour. Not a "La Folie" style sour, much easier on the palette.

M - Great carbonation. You can feel this beer do the samba on your tongue when its in your mouth.

D - Very drinkable. I wish I could bring a growler of this home. What do you mean you are all out of bottles? I could drink this all day... wait a second. I did drink this all day! Must have had about 6 snifters.

Overall; An excellent brew. Would recommend again. My buddy didn't like sour beers, after 8hrs at Alpine, Ned was his new fav and converted him to the land of sours. Bravo.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Bomber shared by chswimmer at a tasting. Thanks, Craig.

Deep red in color with a nice lasting off-white head.

Aroma is sour cherries and vinegar. Smells nice.

Great flavor - acetic with lots of cherries and maybe even a cinnamon/spice note. Not too sour.

Palate is not great - medium-bodied and maybe a little watery.

Good beer overall though. Does Alpine make a bad one? If so, I haven't had it. Highly drinkable, this one is.

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Interesting... Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip.

This beer is gorgeous. Ned pours a beautiful brick-red. A fizzy, cream colored head rises swiftly and recedes just as quickly, leaving a thin collar. Perfect, and I mean perfect, clarity. As nice a Flanders red as I've ever seen.

The aroma is outstanding a quite unusual. I'm getting some of the characteristic Flanders acetic and lactic aromas, maybe a bit of the barrels, but what is really striking are the sweet aromas. I'm getting vanilla cake and buttercream frosting, with a whit of sweet Maraschino cherry. Really nice.

Taste. Damn. The first impression set me up for disappointment. The taste is just okay. In my opinion, the sourness is really lacking here. I think that it's just a bit on the sweet side. Oak. Bright cherry. Not as bold as I'd like. Finish is slightly medicinal.

Mouthfeel is very good. Relatively light in body, slightly effervescent, rolls around the tongue nicely.

Drinkability is also solid. I think if it sours up more with some time in the bottle it will be an even better, more-drinkable brew.

Good effort from the guys at Alpine.

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle and served in a wine glass. Shows a brownish burgundy in color, purely clear and crimson in the light, and with half an inch of off white foam. Cap settles to a light film in a few minutes and drops some artsy lacing throughout. Somewhat hoppy through the foam.

Aroma is pleasant and woody, though a bit subdued. Lightly tart with notes of black cherry and raisin and is vinous to a degree but not strongly so.

Flavor follows with the oak adding some complexity to the tart cherry notes. Acidic notes are present but not detrimental. Close is somewhat rich and buttery then finishing with a return of tart fruit. Carbonation is light but spritzy enough to work well with the fruit flavors.

Overall more sweet than sour on the continuum, with notable wood influences and a light tartness and with a finish that s a bit short. Sweetness is more apparent in feel than in flavor however.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter. No dating info but this was a special release earlier this year and Milt bought it at the brewery on release day so it's been handled gently. It was a deep ruby color but could still good carb streams from the etching. It had about a finger of head that settled into a good collar with some central wisps from the streams.

The aroma was heavy on the vinous vinegar with some cherries and oak but they were subtle. A little disappointed in the aroma. The taste followed the aroma and was heavy on the vinegar with again just a little cherry and oak in there. Needed more to balance out the heavy vinegar. I love sours but this was too one dimensional for me. Mouthfeel was watery but had great carbonation. The aftertaste was subtle.

Overall, a was disappointed in this one. I have loved all the other Alpines that I've had so was really looking forward to this one especially since I love the style. A little more secondary aroma and flavors would really jump this one up as it already has a good sour vinegar base. Not avail here in TX so got from Milt. Rotation - not avail here and was hard to get so I'd say one is enough unless the stars aligned just right. Would love to try at the brewery on the next SD trip if available. [O;Y]

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Pours a nice dark red w/ a half finger of head into my snifter glass.

S: Tart Cherries. I can also smell that wonderful wine barrel. Love that brett smell.

T: Some really good sour/tartness. Cherry taste is the most prominent taste.

M: Some mouth puckering, but most of the sour/tartness hits the tongue.

D: I sipped on this one for a good hour and a half. I still need to explore this style but this one definitely excited me to try more. That is how I would say its very drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle shared by chswimmer. Thanks!

Murky cherry red with a small bone-colored head, this looks true to style.

It has a metallic aroma initially, but it opens up to reveal tart cherries and balsamic vinegar. It also has a light musty, funky barrel character and a touch of buttery oak. The aroma improves as the beer warms.

The palate opens with berry-like tartness, mild vinegar and tannic oak. it's thin, almost watery, and rather vinous and oaky. There's a mineral/metallic note in the finish that detracts a bit, but the biggest flaw is that the body and flavors of the beer don't hold up to the oak. Still, a decent interpretation of the style, and quite enjoyable.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

Typing this one up from notes. I had this on my 25th birthday at the Alpine Pub. The pub was fantastic, the food was fantastic and the people that worked there were even better. Oh yeah the beer was pretty tasty too. Thanks to Steph and Bob for this pint.

A - Brownish red body with a fair sized head resting on top

S - The mingling of oak and cherry in this is fantastic. A nice tart aroma lies in the back that hints of the amazing flavor that is to come.

T - lovely cherry flavor. A nice oakiness is present as well. Fairly sweet but has enough of a tart kick to keep me happy. Vinegary notes present as welll.

M - fairly dry with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Soooo drinkable. I wish I could bring a growler of this home with me. I could drink this all day. The cherry flavor is fantastic.Could be a little more tart but otherwise phenomenal. I need more of this!

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz bomber to tulip glass

As you pop the cap you can immediately smell a strong aroma of red wine vinegar and sweet cherries. It then pours a reddish-brown - when moved a away from the light it looks almost purple. A nice off-white head forms, fairly sudsy for the low alcohol, but there is little lacing. The tulip shape funnels the lactic acid, which is joined by plenty of cherries, raspberries and funk. Lots of funk.

It tastes like it smells, washing your palate in pleasantly acerbic sour and cherries. These flavors are balanced by an earthy, oaky malt backbone, but the lactic acid really dominates. This isn't the most sour of 'sours' I've tried, but right up there - the back of my tongue is puckering even after the carbonation washes down the last of the residue.

I'm hoping Alpine can make this consistently. Reading some of the reviews led me think that this was going to be a tame American attempt at a Flanders, but not here. Hopefully this wasn't just a good batch. Apline is a tiny road-trip away, so I'll be giving this another taste.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to a generous trader for this bottle. Reviewed from notes.

Pours ruby win some brownish coloring. Off white head with a decent amount of lacing. Nose brings forward oak, acetic vinegar notes, and some cherries. Taste wraps it all together pretty well with he acetic acid and the cherries mixing with the oak, leading to a nice creamy mouthfeel. Toward then end, the vinegar flavors get to be a bit much, affecting its drinkability.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%

A - A reddish brown beer that is fairly opaque. Small, off-white head that left some minor spots on the sides.

S - Smells of deep cherries and some dark fruits. Fairly tart, with some sourness and vinegar.

T - Tart with deep flavors. It actually could use some more wood in there. Wish the acetic notes were slightly sharper, but this isn't bad.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Nice beer with some good flavors, but nothing that sets it head and shoulders above other nice beers of this style. Wouldn't mind drinking again though.

4/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Jacob for sharing this one the other day (and Gil for the cooler space).

A: The pour is a dark mahogany color with a finger's worth of tan colored head.

S: Lots of oak and sour cherries on the nose with a bit of a wine note to it. The vinegar is really mild as is the lactic note.

T: Like the nose exhibits, lots of sour cherries and oak. Slightly tannic at points and very acidic. The vinegar is in check, but there is a very strong acidity on the finish that leads to a bit of a metallic flavor at times.

M: The body is medium with a plentiful carbonation.

D: Not the best Flanders Red, but a pretty decent interpretation. I wanted to try this beer for over a year, when it was first mentioned, and am glad to have done so.

4.48/5  rDev +12%

A-Deep mahogany red, barely any head, bubbles around the edge.

S-Sour cherries, currants similar to consecration but better, tart.

T-Sweet fruit, tart, tobacco aftertaste. Dry in the finish.

M-Great carbonation, light bodied.

D-Great aroma and flavor makes this an easy drinker. It's light enough to be a full flavored session beer.

Edit:9/5/10

I've revisited this and there is now a funk to it that wasn't there before. It's a subtle and pleasant funk that adds to the complexity of the beer.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Big thanks to doggnate for this one.

A- Poured into a 200 ml mason jar. Appears a translucent reddish brown with a 1/2" bubbly off white head that recedes to a foamy off white cap with sustained retention.

S- A distinct vinegar sour aroma laced with black cherry, currants and oranges. Some subtle vanilla woody notes. Finishes with a marked sour intensity. No hop aroma here.

T- Starts off with that intense vinegar, cherry, sourness that is oh so tasty and blends into some red wine notes with the woody vanilla. AS it warms up there are some complementary sweet character, which seems like the vanilla notes expanding a bit. Finishes with a restrained tannic bitterness.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Has a low astringency and mild acidity like a good medium bodied red wine.

D- This has not been a style that I have frequently had, yet each time I have had one I really enjoy it. This Ned is delicious and I see myself sipping on this throughout my evening happily. I would seek this out again, but not sure if Alpine is doing this one on a regular/irregular basis.

10/30/10

A: Snifter. Brownish red with a fizzy off white head. Good retention. Scattered lacing.

S: Oak, lactic dark fruit notes mostly comprised of dark cherries but also exhibiting characteristics of plums and grapes. A moderate vinegar character is evident. The beer is lightly sweet.

T: Sweet and lightly acetic, the beer displays notes of oak and lightly sour cherries with lactic components. The beer peaks in lacticity and sweetness midpalate, finishing with an acetic oakiness that's eventually drying on the palate

M: Medium bodied. Dry and tannic. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: An enjoyable Flanders red ale at a great price, but Alpine reigns supreme in the hoppy category and I'd rather be drinking one of their hoppy beers, though I'd rather be drinking one of those than most other beers, so that's irrelevant and not very informative. I wasn't crazy about this when it was first released, but a short amount of time has done it great credit and it's now more enjoyable.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours somewhat murky deep amber, wispy head. Sparce lace.

S - Sharp tart nose. I can't get anything more than that.

T - Tangy sour, crisp apples, small sweet finish.

M - Medium body, great carb. Good balance.

D - Nice little beer. Thanks, Alpine!

4/5  rDev 0%

A-murky dark copper color, still somewhat transparent, tan colored head.

S-the nose starts with notes of candied grape, light caramel undertones, very dry oak, moderate amounts of acidity, musky brett and chalky and sweet in the back.

T-the taste brings candied fruit, probably grape, caramel malts, the brett is behind, a little sweet, light acidity, notes of the dry oak, hints of sweet red wine. the taste seems to be rather sweet.

M- medium body, slightly grainy but a good creamy feel on the sides of the mouth, strong carbonation, crisp dry finish.

D-pretty solid beer here, a little sweet but a nice oak presence and interesting balance of brett. the acidity is more powerful in the nose than the taste.

4/5  rDev 0%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a hotel glass. Purchased from the Best Damn Beer Store in San Diego.

A - Reddish brown with a hazy finish and a small beige head that dissipates quickly.

S - Cherries and raspberries with a tart, sour quality.

T - A nice tartness with cherries and a dry finish. Not intense but satisfying. I don't get much of the oak. Very nice for an American brewed Flanders Red but it doesn't quite reach the expectations set by the Belgians (Rodenbach, Duchesse, etc.).

M - A thin, smooth consistency with a moderate carbonation of very fine bubbles.

D - This is a tasty and enjoyable beer. A nice American effort on a style we've still got a long way to go on.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

A- dark reddish purple, with a nice two finger head that retains itself for a few minutes. Snifter
S- I get some sour notes and cherries but I also get a lot of grape juice, oak up front
T- sour grapes and cherry mixed together. Juicy like a fresh glass of fruit juice
M- medium bodied and maybe even a bit overdone on the carbonation. Light, dry finish to this

I enjoyed this beer, it was more heavy on the purple grape flavor than the tart cherries IMO. It had a light finish that made me want to take another sip all over again.

From notes at the pub on 2/8

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

Frothy off white head that leaves nice lace and fades to a milky coating on the surface. Aroma is heady, woody, sour fruit and sweet vinegar. I don't think I've ever tasted so much vinegar in a fresh beer. Not much fruit in the taste, maybe a little green apple; kind of cheesy like Ichtegem's. Very pleasing aftertaste, a lot of oak, a little chocolate. The carbonation is good, but body is lacking a bit.

This beer almost tastes like a lot of things, which I guess means complexity. Sessionable.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Thirstybird for opening this brew. Poured a semi-hazy, burnished mahogany with a mere skim of a head that quickly dissipated into a thin band that coalesced around the edges. Nose expresses sour notes, cranberries and Sucrets. Taste reveals vanilla, cinnamon and lightly soured fruit. Mouthfeel is light-medium with a little astringency that comes out towards the back. An interesting spice character not typically associated with the style, but lacking some of the qualities I've come to expect and appreciate.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Poured a dark maroon with ruby highlights that had a thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The nose was a good interpretation of a flanders red which consisted of vinegar, sour cherries, some oak, and slight acidic notes. Upfront the sour cherries really blend nice with the vinegar flavors with oaky notes coming through to accent the overall taste. I was also glad that the beer was not overly acidic too. The brew was medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a sweet, fruity, sour, and slight acidic finish. It drank pretty damn good and I'm always happy to try new sour beers. Decent flanders, good job alpine.

to view more.