Ned - Alpine Beer Company

Flanders Red Ale |  5.17% ABV

Beer added by: mattwjones on 05-16-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.67/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a bomber bought in Alpine yesterday and poured into a large snifter.

A: Looks brown at first but has a definite red hue when you hold it to the light. Has nice lacing that clings to the glass after each sip.

S: Funky fresh! I can smell the delightful belgian funk and the smell makes you anticipate the sour goodness that is going to come next.

T: The taste is immediately sour, but as the tart sensation fades there is a satisfying malty warmth that is left on your tongue. There is so much going on that I am having trouble describing individual flavors. Although I cannot find the words to describe what I am tasting, I am thoroughly loving this beer.

M: Carbonation is crisp on the tongue and the sour is intense but not puckering.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. The ABV not a hinderance and the sour character of this beer makes it very refreshing. I have sipped and gulped from my glass and have found both to be satisfying.

I am a sour/belgian noob but I have had a couple to date and I think that Ned from Alpine is the best one that I have had so far. I will definitely be picking up some more of this beer if I can make it back over to Alpine before they run out!

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a champagne flute. Picked this one up out of the back room at Beverages 4 Less.

Hard pour yields a half finger off white head that dies down to a thing layer of foam. Brown with amber hues. Dots of lacing left of the glass.

Smells of sour funk, sour cherries, vanilla oakiness.

Tastes of sour cherries, a sort of sweet sourness with a lactic characteristic. Vanilla and oaky barrel characteristics.

Medium bodied. Well carbonated with a slight bite on the end. Pretty brisk and refreshing.

A highly drinkable flanders red. I definitely recommend trying it if you get the chance.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to zx6chris for the bottle!

Pours a nice burgundy with a small amount of head with some bubbles drifting to the top.

the smell is tart cherries and red fruit....

the taste is very similar to the nose. Starts of with a nice sweet and tart entry, then the dry finish covers the palate leaving you smacking your lips for more.

Not to sweet nor to tart, a great flanders for sure!

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

A-Deep mahogany red, barely any head, bubbles around the edge.

S-Sour cherries, currants similar to consecration but better, tart.

T-Sweet fruit, tart, tobacco aftertaste. Dry in the finish.

M-Great carbonation, light bodied.

D-Great aroma and flavor makes this an easy drinker. It's light enough to be a full flavored session beer.

I've revisited this and there is now a funk to it that wasn't there before. It's a subtle and pleasant funk that adds to the complexity of the beer.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz bomber to tulip glass

As you pop the cap you can immediately smell a strong aroma of red wine vinegar and sweet cherries. It then pours a reddish-brown - when moved a away from the light it looks almost purple. A nice off-white head forms, fairly sudsy for the low alcohol, but there is little lacing. The tulip shape funnels the lactic acid, which is joined by plenty of cherries, raspberries and funk. Lots of funk.

It tastes like it smells, washing your palate in pleasantly acerbic sour and cherries. These flavors are balanced by an earthy, oaky malt backbone, but the lactic acid really dominates. This isn't the most sour of 'sours' I've tried, but right up there - the back of my tongue is puckering even after the carbonation washes down the last of the residue.

I'm hoping Alpine can make this consistently. Reading some of the reviews led me think that this was going to be a tame American attempt at a Flanders, but not here. Hopefully this wasn't just a good batch. Apline is a tiny road-trip away, so I'll be giving this another taste.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Big thanks to doggnate for this one.

A- Poured into a 200 ml mason jar. Appears a translucent reddish brown with a 1/2" bubbly off white head that recedes to a foamy off white cap with sustained retention.

S- A distinct vinegar sour aroma laced with black cherry, currants and oranges. Some subtle vanilla woody notes. Finishes with a marked sour intensity. No hop aroma here.

T- Starts off with that intense vinegar, cherry, sourness that is oh so tasty and blends into some red wine notes with the woody vanilla. AS it warms up there are some complementary sweet character, which seems like the vanilla notes expanding a bit. Finishes with a restrained tannic bitterness.

M- Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Has a low astringency and mild acidity like a good medium bodied red wine.

D- This has not been a style that I have frequently had, yet each time I have had one I really enjoy it. This Ned is delicious and I see myself sipping on this throughout my evening happily. I would seek this out again, but not sure if Alpine is doing this one on a regular/irregular basis.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured a dark maroon with ruby highlights that had a thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The nose was a good interpretation of a flanders red which consisted of vinegar, sour cherries, some oak, and slight acidic notes. Upfront the sour cherries really blend nice with the vinegar flavors with oaky notes coming through to accent the overall taste. I was also glad that the beer was not overly acidic too. The brew was medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a sweet, fruity, sour, and slight acidic finish. It drank pretty damn good and I'm always happy to try new sour beers. Decent flanders, good job alpine.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Typing this one up from notes. I had this on my 25th birthday at the Alpine Pub. The pub was fantastic, the food was fantastic and the people that worked there were even better. Oh yeah the beer was pretty tasty too. Thanks to Steph and Bob for this pint.

A - Brownish red body with a fair sized head resting on top

S - The mingling of oak and cherry in this is fantastic. A nice tart aroma lies in the back that hints of the amazing flavor that is to come.

T - lovely cherry flavor. A nice oakiness is present as well. Fairly sweet but has enough of a tart kick to keep me happy. Vinegary notes present as welll.

M - fairly dry with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Soooo drinkable. I wish I could bring a growler of this home with me. I could drink this all day. The cherry flavor is fantastic.Could be a little more tart but otherwise phenomenal. I need more of this!

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours a nice dark red w/ a half finger of head into my snifter glass.

S: Tart Cherries. I can also smell that wonderful wine barrel. Love that brett smell.

T: Some really good sour/tartness. Cherry taste is the most prominent taste.

M: Some mouth puckering, but most of the sour/tartness hits the tongue.

D: I sipped on this one for a good hour and a half. I still need to explore this style but this one definitely excited me to try more. That is how I would say its very drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

First release. Thanks to stawn for the opportunity to try this. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a very dark, amber/copper color with a few cm. of quickly dissipating cream colored head. Browning a little around the edges. Very good clarity, minimal lacing, but decent retention on the ring of large bubbles.

S: Light red wine, oak, and barrel characteristics are in the forefront, along with some red fruit (tart cherry) and malt. Getting a little funk as it warms.

T: Red fruit (raspberry) up front followed by mild to moderate tartness which supports the beer nicely through midpalate. Some amberish malt and tannins. Flavors are somewhat muted, and the finish is quite short.

M: Medium body with slightly mouthcoating quality, and medium-light carbonation.

O: Refreshing, pretty tasty, and well made. Not the most mouthpuckering or flavorful sour out there, but that may be a feature rather than a bug.

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a red amber color with a white head. The aroma is caramel with some light tartness. The flavor is fruit, iced tea, light tartness and caramel malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A pretty nice Flanders Red Ale, but not among the best I have tried.

Thanks to Jacob for sharing this one the other day (and Gil for the cooler space).

A: The pour is a dark mahogany color with a finger's worth of tan colored head.

S: Lots of oak and sour cherries on the nose with a bit of a wine note to it. The vinegar is really mild as is the lactic note.

T: Like the nose exhibits, lots of sour cherries and oak. Slightly tannic at points and very acidic. The vinegar is in check, but there is a very strong acidity on the finish that leads to a bit of a metallic flavor at times.

M: The body is medium with a plentiful carbonation.

D: Not the best Flanders Red, but a pretty decent interpretation. I wanted to try this beer for over a year, when it was first mentioned, and am glad to have done so.

A-murky dark copper color, still somewhat transparent, tan colored head.

S-the nose starts with notes of candied grape, light caramel undertones, very dry oak, moderate amounts of acidity, musky brett and chalky and sweet in the back.

T-the taste brings candied fruit, probably grape, caramel malts, the brett is behind, a little sweet, light acidity, notes of the dry oak, hints of sweet red wine. the taste seems to be rather sweet.

M- medium body, slightly grainy but a good creamy feel on the sides of the mouth, strong carbonation, crisp dry finish.

D-pretty solid beer here, a little sweet but a nice oak presence and interesting balance of brett. the acidity is more powerful in the nose than the taste.

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a hotel glass. Purchased from the Best Damn Beer Store in San Diego.

A - Reddish brown with a hazy finish and a small beige head that dissipates quickly.

S - Cherries and raspberries with a tart, sour quality.

T - A nice tartness with cherries and a dry finish. Not intense but satisfying. I don't get much of the oak. Very nice for an American brewed Flanders Red but it doesn't quite reach the expectations set by the Belgians (Rodenbach, Duchesse, etc.).

M - A thin, smooth consistency with a moderate carbonation of very fine bubbles.

D - This is a tasty and enjoyable beer. A nice American effort on a style we've still got a long way to go on.

From 10/28/11 notes. Big thanks to nimbleprop for sharing this one, always interested in trying a new Alpine beer. Poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a dark amber red color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks pretty nice.

s - Smells of sour fruits, especially cherries and raspberries, oak, vanilla, caramel malts, lactic notes. Very sour and enjoyable.

t - Tastes of sour cherries and other tart fruits, oak, vinegar, caramel and bready malts, light vanilla. Again, very sour and tart, and I'm really liking this one.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one quite a bit. I believe it's the first sour-ish beer I've had from Alpine, and I think they did a good job making a Flanders. I found it very vinegary and full of sour cherries, and liked the wood coming through in the nose and mouth. Would love to have it again sometime.

Thanks friend!

Pours reddish brown. Surprisingly long last lasting inch or two of off-white foam. Even when it dies down, leaves some gob of bubbles all over the place. Nice.

Smells like ... vinegar and some sour cherries. Maybe a hint, just a hint of oak.

Taste is almost entirely vinous vinegar, some sour cherry/oakiness, and more sour vinegar-iness. Just a bit one-note.

NIce, pleasant enough. If moderately priced, would buy all the time.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours somewhat murky deep amber, wispy head. Sparce lace.

S - Sharp tart nose. I can't get anything more than that.

T - Tangy sour, crisp apples, small sweet finish.

M - Medium body, great carb. Good balance.

D - Nice little beer. Thanks, Alpine!

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this, Jordan!

Dark magenta and ruby throughout with a thin light khaki colored head that leaves spots of stick down the glass.

Tart aroma consisting of sweet and sour dark fruits (cherry and perhaps plum), stinging sourness, a touch of vinegar, and a little bit of oak.

The flavor follows the aroma very similarly, though I simply wish it was more sour. The tart cherries and plum characteristics return with the oak making more of a heavy-handed presence than in the aroma. Very tasty.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with low to ample carbonation. I would have preferred a more bubbly body.

A very nice and incredibly drinkable version of the style. Jordan mentioned the folks at Alpine had given this bottle to him before its eventual release, and that it was still very, very young. Perhaps we should have sat on it for longer? I would love to revisit this one again.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A- dark reddish purple, with a nice two finger head that retains itself for a few minutes. Snifter
S- I get some sour notes and cherries but I also get a lot of grape juice, oak up front
T- sour grapes and cherry mixed together. Juicy like a fresh glass of fruit juice
M- medium bodied and maybe even a bit overdone on the carbonation. Light, dry finish to this

I enjoyed this beer, it was more heavy on the purple grape flavor than the tart cherries IMO. It had a light finish that made me want to take another sip all over again.

From notes at the pub on 2/8

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to SanDeigoBeerLove for this one.

Poured into Lost Abbey stemware.

Pours 1/2 finger of fizzy off-white head. Color is a dark brown/maroon with a ruby hue to it.

Aroma: Oak and vinous flavors. Cherries. It has a musky flavor to it. Some funk here. Lightly sour.

Taste: Oak, wine flavors, lightly tart cherries, vinegar, acidic notes, and some funk to it.

Mouthfeel: A bit sour and mouthpuckering. Clean. Medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with vinegar notes.

Overall, a pretty decent flanders with a lot of solid flavors. Good drinkability. I could have more of this one.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Great extra from Scott. Much appreciated! I really enjoy Alpine beers, but I have only tried their hoppy works, so I was excited to get this. Poured from the bomber into my Russian River "-tion" glass.

A: Pours a deep mahogany red with a spritzy eggshell head. The color is very nice its almost like a deep black cherry (similar to Kasteel Rouge).

S: The smell is very nice. Sour cherries all the way. Also a sweet vinegar scent. Usually I am not a fan of sweetness in sours, but as this is a flanders red, I will let it slide. It is pretty much spot on for the style.

T: Very light taste, but the Brett and sour cherry shine. Sharp, acidic lemon with sour cherry and funk. One dimensional once those flavors fade, as the 5% ABV leaves it a little thin.

Overall, a very solid beer that I am enjoying. Good work Alpine.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

1st trip to alpine brew and could not have had a better time. Everyone was cool and got to hang with Pat. My buddy and I were at the brewery for around 8hrs and it was epic.

A - Brownish red body with a fair sized head resting on top. A standard looking flanders - more head however then I expected. A big plus.

S - Sour sir. Like mouth puckering sour. Oak and cherry in this is fantastic. Get those saliva glands pumping at full speed ahead.

T - Cherry / oak / sour patch kids / lightness of red vinegar. Oh yeah thats a flanders all right. Not really a funk, just a blast of sour. Not a "La Folie" style sour, much easier on the palette.

M - Great carbonation. You can feel this beer do the samba on your tongue when its in your mouth.

D - Very drinkable. I wish I could bring a growler of this home. What do you mean you are all out of bottles? I could drink this all day... wait a second. I did drink this all day! Must have had about 6 snifters.

Overall; An excellent brew. Would recommend again. My buddy didn't like sour beers, after 8hrs at Alpine, Ned was his new fav and converted him to the land of sours. Bravo.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Bomber shared by chswimmer at a tasting. Thanks, Craig.

Deep red in color with a nice lasting off-white head.

Aroma is sour cherries and vinegar. Smells nice.

Great flavor - acetic with lots of cherries and maybe even a cinnamon/spice note. Not too sour.

Palate is not great - medium-bodied and maybe a little watery.

Good beer overall though. Does Alpine make a bad one? If so, I haven't had it. Highly drinkable, this one is.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle shared by chswimmer. Thanks!

Murky cherry red with a small bone-colored head, this looks true to style.

It has a metallic aroma initially, but it opens up to reveal tart cherries and balsamic vinegar. It also has a light musty, funky barrel character and a touch of buttery oak. The aroma improves as the beer warms.

The palate opens with berry-like tartness, mild vinegar and tannic oak. it's thin, almost watery, and rather vinous and oaky. There's a mineral/metallic note in the finish that detracts a bit, but the biggest flaw is that the body and flavors of the beer don't hold up to the oak. Still, a decent interpretation of the style, and quite enjoyable.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to a generous trader for this bottle. Reviewed from notes.

Pours ruby win some brownish coloring. Off white head with a decent amount of lacing. Nose brings forward oak, acetic vinegar notes, and some cherries. Taste wraps it all together pretty well with he acetic acid and the cherries mixing with the oak, leading to a nice creamy mouthfeel. Toward then end, the vinegar flavors get to be a bit much, affecting its drinkability.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast