Hoppy Birthday - Alpine Beer Company

Hoppy Birthday
No picture uploaded.

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-24-2010)

2.73/5  rDev -39.5%

Shared a growler with some Ba's at my house before DarkLordDay.
Served in a tulip pint.

It's a nice color, like a pretty standard pale ale/IPA. The bee is pretty hazy yellowish gold with a thick white head. Great retention... Good lacing.
So it looks great... Aaaand now we fall apart... Why does this smell like garlic? Oh, summit hops you say? Well I'm not a fan. They ruin this beer the summit hops. The other aromas are great- hiding under the garlic are intense notes of grapefruit and even pineapple. Light malt profile... This beer would be exceptional if it weren't for the garlic.

The body is medium-light with great carbonation and a decent bitter bite... The flavor would be very nice if it weren't for the summit!

Overall-- I'll pass on this one next time. Glad to have tried it!
4.5/3/2/4/3

2.93/5  rDev -35%

Growler out at ol' 'Watcher's joint on a night that lead to my demise. I got about 2.5 tasters full of the stuff. I can't say that it was really a crowd favorite amongst the tasting group.

Appearance
This stuff has a nice color, as so often Alpine ales seem to have. Its a semi hazy honey yellow, crowned with a dense, sticky head.

Aroma
I'm not really a fan of Summit hops, and this stuff brings the Summit to its peak. Green onion, dense overgrowth, the banks of a summer creek and dashes of orange, pineapple and grapefruit.

Taste
The oniony stuff is strong. Someone kept saying this stuff was like liver and onions. Who ever it was was partly correct. Lots of greenery and wild flowers with lots of chive and green onion. Some pine and citrus come around too.

Mouthfeel
Not very dry, this beer is fairly smooth with a lighter body and a decent enough finish. I'd say this one has the structure for drinkablility down.

Overall
As I texted to Ryan011235 that I was drinking this my auto correct took over and I sent "Choppy Birthday". I stand by that moniker, I think its more accurate. I'm not sure why this one is rated so high... Oh yeah! Its a new Alpine tap only! Duh!

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%

On-tap at O'Brien's, San Diego.

Pours a clear, darker straw-gold color with minimal white head and a bit of lacing. The aroma isn't too powerful, but is slightly spicy with some bitterness in there. It is light-bodied with generally light carbonation. Taste-wise it is slightly bitter with some citrus and somewhat astringent pine. The aftertaste is bitter and somewhat yeasty too. Personally I thought this tasted really good at first, but I tired of it rather quickly. Seemed to be a bit too much yeast in it, and I suppose it didn't impress me overall. Not a bad beer, but it pales (pun, haha) to Alpine's other similar offerings.

Hoppy Birthday from Alpine Beer Company