Ichabod Ale 2009 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2009Ichabod Ale 2009

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

"Ichabod 2009" is a lightly sour, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg ale aged in a mix of red and white wine barrels 1.5 years.

Every time this beer is made, a different base beer is used but the main ingredients remain - Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. 6-7%ABV

(Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 10-31-2010)
Reviews by brydeen:
brydeen

11-14-2011 13:38:21 | More by brydeen
Mora2000

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of sour pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg and some light tart fruit notes. The flavor is similar and is exactly what I expected from a sour pumpkin ale. The pumpkin notes definitely come through, and have some tartness to them which goes very well. I also get some light cinnamon, nutmeg and clove notes. The tartness level is about medium. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A unique beer that I am glad I got to try.

05-18-2012 05:18:28 | More by Mora2000
ehammond1

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Bottle (2009)

(Aged for 2 years)

Best Damn Sour Fest
Bootlegger
San Diego, CA

Strange combination of blood orange and ruby. There's a very thin head and this beer doesn't leave much at all down the glass in the way of lacing.

Very mild aroma consisting of a slight sourness and a earthy component, though there simply isn't a lot here to smell.

There's certainly more to taste here than smell, and for that, I'm happy. There's a mild stinging sourness throughout along with an earthy, root, and floral character. There's certainly some Fall spices in here as well, but I'm sure they're quite muted compared to the fresh version of this.

Thin to medium bodied with very low carbonation.

This is an interesting, and above average sour. It was worth trying, but I have no desire to seek it out again.

11-03-2011 04:34:37 | More by ehammond1
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours out a darker orange, looks the seasonal part. Smell is slightly tart, pumkin and cinnamon.

Good tart taste, love the interplay of the pumpkin, cinnamon and sour here. No alcohol present. Very different than anything from Alpine, different than anything I've ever had period. Its not just unique for the sake of being unique, this one is everything: Unique, complex, delicious. Triple crown. More sour than funky. Could taste the white wine barrel aftereffects, didn't pick up on red.

Thanks to jh1982 for bringing this to the March Madness 2011 tasting party(ies). Drank this after Jon Jones won the title.

04-26-2011 17:15:18 | More by Beerandraiderfan

DJButters

01-04-2012 19:18:30 | More by DJButters
nickd717

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Bomber thanks to largadeer.

Pours hazy reddish dark amber with nice tan bubbly foam sitting on top and decent lacing.

Aroma is nice and -baly with red wine, sweet caramel, pumpkin spice, and oak

Great tart red wine flavor, pumpkin and spice, oak barrel, and funk. Restrained tartness.

Medium-bodied with just the right acidity level and medium body.

Solid offering from Alpine, better than the unintentionally sour batch.

11-24-2010 06:36:40 | More by nickd717
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Massive thanks to Kshock for sending me this as an extra in a past trade! 'Drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed!' on the side of the bottle... It was 4:30PM and I was thirsty so guess which one I chose. Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured red-orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subside to a minimal amount very very slowly. Also the head fizzed audibly like soda. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, subtle funk, cinnamon, and nutmeg (as it warmed up). The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, pumpkin (it does have pumpkin in it afterall), cinnamon, and more pumpkin on the aftertaste. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. In my opinion, I will not be able to look at a pumpkin beer the same as I know believe this is how any brew with pumpkin in it should taste. The sour/tart aspect worked beautifully with the typical pumpkin ale spices. I highly recommend this brew to anyone out there!

01-14-2011 14:10:37 | More by thagr81us
GRG1313

11-25-2011 21:07:58 | More by GRG1313
jbtice0315

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Had out of a bottle at a pumpkin beer tasting I put on.

So surprised at the amount of complex sourness of this beer.

Medium copper colored with some fluffy champagne head.

The smell was amazing with barely any pumpkin coming out. The smell of brett, lemon, tartness, thanksgiving spices were also present.

The taste was so surprisingly good. I would have to say this one came as a shocker how good it was. It was extremely well balanced and highly drinkable, while being tart and funky. I was able to discern the pumpkin spices, but no real pumpkin meatiness like I expected.

This was absolutely delicious - I need to get more!

05-07-2011 19:57:12 | More by jbtice0315
SpdKilz

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A big thanks to sleepyhead for hooking me up with a couple of these beers. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a dark mahogany (with more red than brown) into my Russian River Tulip. About a finger of slight off-white head is achieved that dissipates at a quick pace, leaving slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - After reading about this beer I was curious how strong the nose would be of spices. Thankfully it is a bit subdued and is not overpowering. Nutmeg, cinnamon, slight pumpkin, and brown sugar shines through explicitly. Once these "spicy" notes finish the great aroma of brett and other sour aromas begin to show. The two aromas meld together in an altogether fascinating way.

Taste - Woah! I am pleasantly surprised! I was not expecting such a tart/sour rush from the, in my opinion, rather subdued nose. My mouth immediately puckers up from the acidic and tart flavors. There is a clear wine barrel taste mixed with oak and slight barnyard funk (though there really is quite a bit of acidity to it, the more I'm drinking this the more I am noticing it). It is not until my mouth has recovered from the initial sour shock that at the tail end I can taste the pumpkin and spices. As with the nose, they are not dominant and I am thankful for this. I was hoping this would be more AWA than Spicy Pumpkin beer, and it most certainly is. Freaking delicious. Very glad I have one more of these to save/age.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly creamy - moderate body and carbonation, finishes dry and tart.

Drinkability - Very interesting beer. The only thing I will mention is it is a bit high in acidity so I am taking my time and enjoying this, but people (like me) who enjoy damn tart beers will absolutely love this. Highly recommended.

11-14-2010 02:40:49 | More by SpdKilz
Diomede

11-20-2011 07:24:32 | More by Diomede
jlb502

11-15-2011 03:38:48 | More by jlb502
gregshead

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a orangish/red with a small amount of head that dissipates quickly.

S: So much strong sour funk with some spices in the background.

T: You can definitely taste the mixture of white and red wine barrels. Its as though you taste the white wine barrels first and the the red wine barrels with spices mixed in. It was kind of like drinking Russian river's supplication and consecration along with some spices mixed in the best way possible.

M: Tiny bubbles of carbonation at the very beginning. Very light/thing feel on the tongue. Feel those puckering cheeks. Sour/tart feel in the mouth.

D:Easy to drink at 5%. I considered drinking the other one in my fridge. Sour is not overwhelming but strong enough. Look forward to drinking again.

01-01-2011 06:09:24 | More by gregshead
TheRealDBCooper

Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

11-16-2011 17:42:03 | More by TheRealDBCooper
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

This one poured a very nice and somewhat hazy orange tinted amber with a lot of fizzy and foamy carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. A somewhat smallish head formed on top that nestled down into simply a thin layer across the top which hung around for a good little while before settling down into nothing. Smell was very tart at first. As it warmed a light earthy grain like aroma took over and a small but still detectable amount of spice as well. The taste was very bitter, and not at all what I was expecting to be honest. It had a nice grainy back which came through nicely with a hint of spice on the end of it, however these were blown out of the water by a sour and bitter fruit like bite to the finish. Almost came off as a sour ale in a way, very bitter. Medium body was lightened a bit by the ample carbonation. Smooth texture though and a great dry finish just added on to it. Overall again this was not what I expected at all, but as it turned out was still very good. I really enjoyed the different take it had to the normal fall classic and really the flavor came out of left field for me. I will definitely try this one again and I am glad I have another one to enjoy. This is a must try for anyone looking for something that is a bit different with a raw edge to it.

01-09-2011 15:46:21 | More by mikesgroove
largadeer

Thanks, Shane.

Hazy copperish-brown with a small but lasting head. The nose is both spicy and sour. Nutmeg comes through fairly well beneath the fruity sourness, though I don't get any pumpkin. There's a strong vinous character as well, and a sour plum-like fruitiness. It's vinous on the palate, fruity with flavors of plums and red grapes. Spices come through well, and there's a doughy malt backbone. The finish is fruity, mildly sour and spicy. This is a nice easy drinking sour, nothing spectacular but very enjoyable.

11-24-2010 03:58:16 | More by largadeer
WeisGuy

12-10-2011 05:22:11 | More by WeisGuy
airohead2001

3.2/5  rDev -25.9%

Waited a long time to try this one. Got this one straight out of the whale's vagina.

Smell is pretty good - I get some barnyard funk and a little bit of sweet allspice. Lots of wine.

Taste is sour lemons and red wine.

A little too sour and too carbonated, but some nice biscuit in the finish.

This is a decent beer, but nothing special. Not worth the hype.

01-27-2011 01:21:50 | More by airohead2001
dmsohyea

3.35/5  rDev -22.5%

22oz Bottle available at O'Brien's. $16. Served in a Chimay challis.

Pours deep orange and brownish. Very little head but good retention. No lacing. Really interesting color, not many beers I've seen are this weird orange color.

Smells like lacto and maybe some table sugar. Might be some ripe apples or grapes and spice in there too. I think the age has lost a lot on the nose.

Tastes sufficiently sour, but not overly tart. Some grape juice and pumpkin along with pumpkin pie spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg dominate the flavor profile. Mostly dry and no alcohol is detectable. Not much acetobacter, but a small twinge of vinegar is noted.

Mouthfeel is medium to light body and moderate to high carbonation. The pour suggests this would be less carbonated, but the body had a good amount.

Overall an interesting beer that I wouldn't mind having again. I didn't love it, but not a bad sour for what they had in mind.

06-17-2011 23:18:31 | More by dmsohyea
Xul

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a moderately hazy brown with amber highlights, capped by a finger of frothy, eggshell colored head. Retention is good as the head settles slowly, leaving light lacing down the glass.

S: Moderate lactic acidity up front with some sweet lemon zest character, followed by a big dose of winter baking spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, and some light cloves. Some pumpkin lurks in the background along with vanilla and wine notes from the barrel aging.

T: Opens up with lactic acidity, a high quick burst that quickly returns to a moderate level. Wine barrel character comes in on the mid-palate with light oak shining through, while the pumpkin and spices build up to a strong, pumpkin pie type finish. Good, but I think a bit more age will do it some benefit as far as flavor integration.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Interesting flavors and holds up well, the acidity is a touch high at times but not bracingly so...good take on the pumpkin ale style, I look forward to seeing how this develops over time.

11-01-2010 00:57:53 | More by Xul
ejyoung

Arizona

11-14-2011 17:40:04 | More by ejyoung
BearsOnAcid

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

Copper body with very little khaki colored head.

Strong smell of granny smith and cortland apples mixed with red wine. Carmel opened up as it warmed. Some plastic-y acidity. It basically reminded me of a carmel apple.

Taste was nothing like the nose. Lots of spice up front. Without even knowing what was in it I could tell there was nutmeg and cinnamon. I picked up some vanilla as I searched more into the flavor. Very light sourness. Hard to pick out the pumpkin although there is a squash like flavor beneath the spicing. After taste reminded me of lemon juice cut with water. Any vinous character that the wine barrels gave to the beer was washed out by the spicing.

An interesting sour that fell flat in its complexity.

03-26-2011 07:30:33 | More by BearsOnAcid