Ichabod Ale 2009 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2009Ichabod Ale 2009

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 10-31-2010

"Ichabod 2009" is a lightly sour, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg ale aged in a mix of red and white wine barrels 1.5 years.

Every time this beer is made, a different base beer is used but the main ingredients remain - Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. 6-7%ABV
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Thank you Sleepyhead for this marvel.

A - pours a brown crisp clear. It has a slight tan head, that laces well.

S - initial wiff signals beige fruits. Cherries and raspberries galore. The pumpkin comes in and takes over.

T - wow. This beer is an expirience. It begins by pulling in your cheeks with a tart cherry flavor. The beer keeps that lingerig sourness throughout the drink. The pumpkin is noticeable with the downing of the drink, followed by slight nutmeg and cinnamon. Amazing.

M - the beer is a little thin, a little more bubbles would not hurt the style.

D - at 5%, and a pretty sour beer, this beer grabs me and holds on. I don't want to drop it. It's a magical expirience. Two styles I love, mating in my mouth.

O - where can I get more of this?

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Picked up three 22oz bombers today from Alpine Brewery for $7.99 a piece. Poured into a Geuze Boon Lembeek glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper hue with a thin head leaving very small amounts of lace in my glass.

S: Sour fruit, citrus, musty wood funk, a bit of spice and earthy notes at the end.

T: Sour fruit up front with a blast of acidity that mellows with a sweet fruity/red wine flavor, followed up with a musty leather & woody funk that finishes bready with a lingering flavor of pumpkin spice. By far one of the tastiest wild ales i've ever had.

M: On the lighter side of medium-bodied, good carbonation (very effervescent on the palate), finishes tart and dry.

D: Extremely easy drinker (picked up 3 today and already drank 2) and especially at $7.99 a bomber which is half the price for twice as much as what the competition has to offer at the same quality of product - keep it up Alpine!

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Shared a bottle with the wife.

A-Pours a nice brown color. A little white head that settles quickly. Leaves a ring of bubbles around the edge. A little lacing.

S-Sour, tart, acidic, woody. The spices come out a little in the end.

T-Acidic, sour, tart, pumpkin pie spices.

M-Light bodied with a little carbonation.

D-Really nice, a good mix of flavors and a light body.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle bought at Beverages 4 Less

A: Beautiful dark brown with some ruby highlights and absolutely no head.

S: A ton of tartness, brett and sourness in here. It's hard to pick up the spices unless you take a huge whiff of this one. Then, you can pick up some cinnamon and nutmeg.

T: Sweet tartness with a little sour black cherry/ green apple feel and then a punch in the mouth of sourness. I don't know that I've ever had a beer more sour than this and I'm loving it. There's not a ton of pumpkin, but I could care less. This is a great beer.

4.61/5  rDev +9%

Bottle courtesy of i630. Thanks Mike!

It pours a slightly hazy deep amber red colour with a small and quickly shrinking head of foam. The lacing is good during this early stage of the session.

Foam and lacing disappear about midway through the session.

The smell is fresh pumpkin pie with the fixings...cinnamon, big nutmeg, very spicy and nice. And then, on the swing side, I'm getting huge sour notes, obviously the American Wild Ale side shining through. The aroma is top notch!

The taste is dominated by the sour grape notes from the wine barrel aging. Light pumpkin with good nutmeg flavours round out this very delicious and thoroughly enjoyable ale. Just picked up a little bit of bread in the taste...complex brew yet easily approachable.

Fairly light bodied with lowish levels of carbonation, good mouth feel.

Drinkabilty is through the roof for me with the 5%abv providing a valuable assist. A new favourite of the style!

Edit: The second pour and the beer is now cloudy with a bit of sediment. I can't wait to dig into that!

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours out a darker orange, looks the seasonal part. Smell is slightly tart, pumkin and cinnamon.

Good tart taste, love the interplay of the pumpkin, cinnamon and sour here. No alcohol present. Very different than anything from Alpine, different than anything I've ever had period. Its not just unique for the sake of being unique, this one is everything: Unique, complex, delicious. Triple crown. More sour than funky. Could taste the white wine barrel aftereffects, didn't pick up on red.

Thanks to jh1982 for bringing this to the March Madness 2011 tasting party(ies). Drank this after Jon Jones won the title.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

A solid pour into my Lost Abbey Teku glass produces a two-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a dark amber color that shows an almost clear, gold tinged, light amber color. Up front the beer smells most prominently of lactic acid up front; tart and inviting with a supporting backbone of spicy and woody oak character. Somehow the lactic acidity reminds me a bit of creamy lemon or tart grapefruit. Really the oak and acidity are the most prominent in the nose, and I really don't smell much in the way of Pumpkin and spices. Having just said that I think I am getting a sort of round, soft, nutmeg and / or cinnamon note that almost brings out a caramelized note just a bit towards the finish. Hmm, and now there is a distinct note of woody black pepper that melds in with a soft mustiness. As the beer warms the soft, round spices become a touch more prominent, but it is never more than subtle, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The oak character becomes quite a bit more prominent as the beer warms up during the second and third pours, but never providing more than a solid, spicy / woody backbone.

Very nicely tart tasting with a solid grapefruit like acidity; the lactic acid adds a lushness to the palate and it coats the mouth. There is a nice prickle to the texture from a persistent, but not overly aggressive carbonation; the prickle is actually boosted by the acidity and this is actually probably the main source of the prickly "texture" as the actual carbonation is quite slight. The finish has a soft, lingering, almost woody, nutmeg like note to it. There is a certain earthiness to this beer, it is quite subtle and somewhat accentuated by the hint of spices, the woody oak notes and the oak spiciness. At times the acidity here adds a flavor that is quite substantially of sour grapefruit, it is quite refreshing and tasty. Towards the end of my last glass I start to get a squash like flavor in the finish; it is wrapped up in the tartness, but also has a touch of vegetal squash flesh to it. At times the acidity seems to somehow accentuate a perceived sweetness in this beer, which in turn accentuates a lightly caramelized and even chewy grain character.

The actual pumpkin character here is quite slight, in fact I can't really say that I can pick it out, the spices too are slight and I really like how soft and subtle they are here as I hate when these get over done. I really like the creaminess that the texture has, the malt body and lactic acidity combine to create quite the lush character without keeping this from being quaffable. The funk here is quite simplistic in some ways as it is definitely focused on the lactic character; this character is lush and well integrated and is just bracing enough to keep me quite interested. This does not really have a wild, funky, or Brett influenced, but I can't say that I am missing the wildness that I so like in Lambics; this beer manages to work quite well without it. This is quite the nice beer, easily one of my favorite beers with pumpkin / pumpkin-spices in it, though this is clearly not the focus in this beer, but both do contribute subtly to the profile of this beer. A very well done beer that I have thoroughly enjoyed and which I am quite disappointed to find that my last glass so quickly disappears.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Pumking chalice. It poured a deep brown color with a lot of orange highlights when held up to the light. It started with a very modest head, but it quickly retreated to the edges of the glass. It left just a bit of lacing on the glass as I drank it as well.

The aroma shows more of the acidic, tart and sour flavors to it then anything else. Behind that though the cinnamon and nutmeg start to come through along with a hint of pumpkin. Very nice American wild aroma to it overall and the spices and pumpkin give it a great twist.

The taste starts off sharp with more of the acidic, tart and sour flavors right up front. As the sharpness fades some of the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove comes through. It has a great sweet tart like flavor to it with some more sourness in the finish. The best part of the flavor though comes about 5 seconds after the swallow where the pumpkin kicks in. It comes back with a nice earthy, gourd like flavor. That really did it for me, excellent flavors overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a bit above average, but pretty moderate for the style. Drinkability is great, it was a fantastic beer. It had some great American wild ale flavors to it, but the pumpkin really put it over the top for me. I loved it. This is definitely a style that needs to be done by more American brewers. Please, someone make something like this I can obtain easier. Sorry Pumking this is the new best pumpkin beer I've ever had, and I even drank it out of your glass.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Had out of a bottle at a pumpkin beer tasting I put on.

So surprised at the amount of complex sourness of this beer.

Medium copper colored with some fluffy champagne head.

The smell was amazing with barely any pumpkin coming out. The smell of brett, lemon, tartness, thanksgiving spices were also present.

The taste was so surprisingly good. I would have to say this one came as a shocker how good it was. It was extremely well balanced and highly drinkable, while being tart and funky. I was able to discern the pumpkin spices, but no real pumpkin meatiness like I expected.

This was absolutely delicious - I need to get more!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A big thanks to sleepyhead for hooking me up with a couple of these beers. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a dark mahogany (with more red than brown) into my Russian River Tulip. About a finger of slight off-white head is achieved that dissipates at a quick pace, leaving slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - After reading about this beer I was curious how strong the nose would be of spices. Thankfully it is a bit subdued and is not overpowering. Nutmeg, cinnamon, slight pumpkin, and brown sugar shines through explicitly. Once these "spicy" notes finish the great aroma of brett and other sour aromas begin to show. The two aromas meld together in an altogether fascinating way.

Taste - Woah! I am pleasantly surprised! I was not expecting such a tart/sour rush from the, in my opinion, rather subdued nose. My mouth immediately puckers up from the acidic and tart flavors. There is a clear wine barrel taste mixed with oak and slight barnyard funk (though there really is quite a bit of acidity to it, the more I'm drinking this the more I am noticing it). It is not until my mouth has recovered from the initial sour shock that at the tail end I can taste the pumpkin and spices. As with the nose, they are not dominant and I am thankful for this. I was hoping this would be more AWA than Spicy Pumpkin beer, and it most certainly is. Freaking delicious. Very glad I have one more of these to save/age.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly creamy - moderate body and carbonation, finishes dry and tart.

Drinkability - Very interesting beer. The only thing I will mention is it is a bit high in acidity so I am taking my time and enjoying this, but people (like me) who enjoy damn tart beers will absolutely love this. Highly recommended.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

Big thanks to heyohhh for the share. For a sour/wild brew, this is one of the most drinkable (chuggable) I've ever had. It pours a caramel-y orange-brown hue, somewhat drab, capped with soapy bubbles. The nose is very comforting; full of soft fruity and spicy notes, like a delectable marmalade. When the brew hits my lips, I realize what is so familiar; it reminds me of old-school orange Gatorade made with the powder, extra-strength. Except, the sour beer version of such a thing. And so, I pound it down. Very very delicious. ISO more.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Massive thanks to Kshock for sending me this as an extra in a past trade! 'Drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed!' on the side of the bottle... It was 4:30PM and I was thirsty so guess which one I chose. Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured red-orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subside to a minimal amount very very slowly. Also the head fizzed audibly like soda. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, subtle funk, cinnamon, and nutmeg (as it warmed up). The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, pumpkin (it does have pumpkin in it afterall), cinnamon, and more pumpkin on the aftertaste. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. In my opinion, I will not be able to look at a pumpkin beer the same as I know believe this is how any brew with pumpkin in it should taste. The sour/tart aspect worked beautifully with the typical pumpkin ale spices. I highly recommend this brew to anyone out there!

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

surprised i don't have a review on this one as i've had it a few times already. thanks to mike for opening this tonight with scott and i.

a - brownishorange with a thin head gone quickly with spotty lacing.

s - festive pumpkin cinnamon potpouri.

t - just like the nose but sour. cinnamon potpouri pumpkin.

m - good carbonation and nice feel. sour, but smooth.

o - overall a fantastic pumpkin sour. cinnamon delight.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours an amber brown hue with a fluffy off white 2 finger head into a mikasa tulip. Moderate retention as well as some blotchy lacing.

Sweet and sour smell. Light brown sugar notes as well as some sorts of pumkin creme brulee intermingled with the sour character.

Taste starts immediately sour and bretty but then quickly moves into a sweet pumpkin creme brulee flavor intertwined with lingering sourness. very interesting. The sweet aspect of it isn't so much pumpkin pie as it is a sweet pumpkin pie with a sugary undertone.

Mouthfeel has little carbonation but is relatively smooth.

Very Drinkable, I would easily be able to finish 2 bombers of this.

Overall I will be seeking out a few more bottles if at all possible.

Thanks for this one johndoe8!

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Kan for sharing this one. Served in a Portsmouth tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving finger of white foam that settles to a hazy film, thin ring, and spotty lace. Hazy golden brown body. Not much of a looker, and surprisingly wussy foam for a 5% beer.

S - Bretty funk, oak, vinous white wine notes, maybe a hint of squash and/or pumpkin. Quite nice, and totally unexpected. As it warms there's a touch of pumpkin pie spice that integrates surprisingly well.

T - Taste is more vinous, with light oak and vanilla, and not much overt pumpkin or spice - perhaps a hint of pulpy squash in the finish. Mild acetic acid and tartness.

M - Some zest, very dry and tannic finish. Medium body that is a little bit grainy.

D - This is quite good! I finished my glass quite quickly and would like to have a bottle for myself.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into wine glass. Poured a orangey amber with a thin egg shell white head. Nose isn't very pungent. Definitely pick up sour notes and faint pumpkin and cinnamon. Tongue is much more abundant with flavor especially in sour pumpkin, spices, and lemon heads. Mouthfeel is excellent, very nice amount of carbonation for the sourness and dry wine character. Overall, I was very happy to finally try this. Im definitely going to seek out another.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Pours a orangish/red with a small amount of head that dissipates quickly.

S: So much strong sour funk with some spices in the background.

T: You can definitely taste the mixture of white and red wine barrels. Its as though you taste the white wine barrels first and the the red wine barrels with spices mixed in. It was kind of like drinking Russian river's supplication and consecration along with some spices mixed in the best way possible.

M: Tiny bubbles of carbonation at the very beginning. Very light/thing feel on the tongue. Feel those puckering cheeks. Sour/tart feel in the mouth.

D:Easy to drink at 5%. I considered drinking the other one in my fridge. Sour is not overwhelming but strong enough. Look forward to drinking again.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle courtesy of sleepyhead, thanks again!

Pours a light and bright orange color with a faint off white head.

Aromas are of light pumpkin, some spice, nutmeg, and cider vinegar. It's on the light side when it comes to the nose.

Taste is super complex. With each sip I seemed to taste something different. Cider, red wine vinegar, pumpkin, white wine, and mixed spice flavors were all noted at different times. Finish has a light creaminess, and a sour lemon like crispness.

Mouthfeel is superb. Very full, smooth, soft and well rounded.

Drinkability is quite good. This sour packs a lot of punch, complexity, and flavors into a lighter, and almost sessionable ABV level. Well worth trying.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Nice Copper color with light fluffy 1 finger head that receedes to a slight ring leaving mild lacing.

S- Smells vinous, loads of brett and acid, slightly sweet pumpkin pie mix scent with more nutmeg and cinnamon, very souringly oaky. Really liking the sour smell on this beer.

T- Loads of sour vinous wine and oak flavors to start with a slight sweet pumpkin pie taste followed by the nutmeg and cinnamon finish. Extremely dry finish and loads of sourness, as it warms the nutmeg finish shines and the pumpkin pie starts to show more, but still really sour.

M- Easy drinking, medium carbonation and body, carbonation cleanses the palate nicely and leaves a long finish.

D- I hate pumpkin beers and have yet to find one that I enjoy but this really isn't a pumpkin beer, this is a great Wild ale where the pumpkin takes a backseat. Awesome and I will buy more. Alpine keep up the great work...

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Recieved this from one of my buddies who headed up to the brewery for a couple hours.

A: A red/orange appearance. The nice white head developed with the pour but went away pretty quickly.

S: A nice sour scent comes forward almost immediately with a slight fruityness.

T: Sour is the predominant flavor that hits you immediately. There are some mild cinnamon and nutmeg spice flavors and it leaves the aftertaste of straw/wheat. The pumkin doesn't really come through for me.

M: Medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation which I feel is right for this style.

D: I really enjoyed this beer and was pleasantly suprised when I cracked it open. What a great Christmas gift!

Since I live in San Diego and Alpine is in our backyard, i'll definately try to seek out a couple more bottles of this one.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 and Amyliz4. Thanks Mike and Amy! This was not one of the bottles that were part of Amy's Christmas present, I was informed.

A: This beer appears hazy and orange in color, with a decent sized white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is great, with scents of funk, sourness, wild yeast, holiday spices. I would be hard pressed to list pumpkin as a distinguishable scent.

T: Again, pumpkin plays a subtle role. The flavor is predominantly sour, with hints of fruity sweetness. These fruit notes are quickly consumed by an acetic and lactic sour funkiness. Cinnamon and nutmeg flavors add a very interesting twist to this already complex and unique brew, helping to highlight the somewhat lost pumpkin flavor, which quietly emerges near the finish.

M: Light to medium in body, with a healthy carbonation level. Funk and sourness present throughout, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

D: A great take on a pumpkin / spiced ale. I would absolutely have this again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Clear orange copper colored with a bog, average lasting, fluffy whitish head. Lots of lacing left throughout.

S - Lite tart aroma with a pleasant funkiness. Lite spices and bready malts, with a little bit of vanilla. Lite alcholic notes are pleasant.

F/M - Tart/lactic sourness with a moderate funkiness. Bready and sweet pils malts, with a lite spice flavor - cloves, cinnamon, etc. Balanced very well between the sweet and the sour, with neither one dominating over the other. Clean, very dry finish. Medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Lingering tart acidity.

D - Tasty, funky, tart, dry and refreshing, this is another great beer from Alpine Beer Co. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to amyliz4 for sharing this one.

A: Pours a hazy amber/gold color with a thin white head, no lacing.

S: Has a really nice sour/vinous aroma with hints of spices.

T: I think the pumpkin has faded some, but this is a great tasting vinous sour with some spice lurking in the background.

M: This has got a really nice, full bodied mouthfeel that coats your mouth. Really helps set this one apart.

O: This isn't quite as unique as I had hoped but it ends up as a really nice, easy to drink sour.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

Very surprisingly mellow smell, no overpowering spices or anything. Smells slightly spiced but very little pumpkin, cinnamon or etc. in the nose, very clean sour and fruity smell.

The taste is superb. Very puckeringly sour with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, not so much pumpkin. Very awesome dry and unique finish as well.

I usually stay away from pumpkin or seasonal autumn ales, but this one is very restrained and well done. Very light hints of fall flavors with a nice sour body. Great mouthfeel and easy to drink.

This beer probably put Alpine over the top as my favorite brewery, quite honestly. Never had a bad beer from them and it seems like they knock my socks off with every new beer I try.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a 16oz tulip
A: Pours a hazy reddish brown with a thin slightly off white head

S:Smells a mild tartness, hints of spice and acetobacter. Wild Brett notes fade into pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg. Very inviting aroma

T: WOW, The flavor is so much more intense than the nose suggests. Very pungent, tart, sauvignon blanc brightness... sour apple with some oaky notes. Brett comes through in the finish very well. Spice and pumpkin are in the background but noticeable. Red winesque tannins on tongue on the way out, begging for another sip... I must oblige

M: Lively but not from the carbonation, the sourness tingles on the palate. Tannins dry out the mouth

O: Excellent for the style. Amazing wild ale flavors.

Ichabod Ale 2009 from Alpine Beer Company