Ichabod Ale 2009 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2009Ichabod Ale 2009

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

"Ichabod 2009" is a lightly sour, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg ale aged in a mix of red and white wine barrels 1.5 years.

Every time this beer is made, a different base beer is used but the main ingredients remain - Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. 6-7%ABV

(Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 10-31-2010)
3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

Copper body with very little khaki colored head.

Strong smell of granny smith and cortland apples mixed with red wine. Carmel opened up as it warmed. Some plastic-y acidity. It basically reminded me of a carmel apple.

Taste was nothing like the nose. Lots of spice up front. Without even knowing what was in it I could tell there was nutmeg and cinnamon. I picked up some vanilla as I searched more into the flavor. Very light sourness. Hard to pick out the pumpkin although there is a squash like flavor beneath the spicing. After taste reminded me of lemon juice cut with water. Any vinous character that the wine barrels gave to the beer was washed out by the spicing.

An interesting sour that fell flat in its complexity.

BearsOnAcid, Mar 26, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -25.9%

Waited a long time to try this one. Got this one straight out of the whale's vagina.

Smell is pretty good - I get some barnyard funk and a little bit of sweet allspice. Lots of wine.

Taste is sour lemons and red wine.

A little too sour and too carbonated, but some nice biscuit in the finish.

This is a decent beer, but nothing special. Not worth the hype.

airohead2001, Jan 27, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -22.5%

22oz Bottle available at O'Brien's. $16. Served in a Chimay challis.

Pours deep orange and brownish. Very little head but good retention. No lacing. Really interesting color, not many beers I've seen are this weird orange color.

Smells like lacto and maybe some table sugar. Might be some ripe apples or grapes and spice in there too. I think the age has lost a lot on the nose.

Tastes sufficiently sour, but not overly tart. Some grape juice and pumpkin along with pumpkin pie spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg dominate the flavor profile. Mostly dry and no alcohol is detectable. Not much acetobacter, but a small twinge of vinegar is noted.

Mouthfeel is medium to light body and moderate to high carbonation. The pour suggests this would be less carbonated, but the body had a good amount.

Overall an interesting beer that I wouldn't mind having again. I didn't love it, but not a bad sour for what they had in mind.

dmsohyea, Jun 17, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Pour is amber with a smallish head, little lacing:

Smell: Mostly general sourness with some vinegar and a non-descript spice mix.

Taste: Apparently the main ingredients are Pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. I might get a faint hint of cinnamon and nutmeg but not really. I guess if I close my eyes and pretend I can maybe get some pumpkin, but I am not sure I would get even that if you didn't tell me to look for it. There is a apple cider (vinegar) element to it; wassail or something.

Mouthfeel: medium body, perhaps a bit thin, carbonation might be slightly aggressive.

Drinkability: weird beer, I wish I could at least pick up some pumpkins. Would not do it again.

craytonic, Dec 06, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured into a snifter

A: Amberish ruby red in color with a ½ finger white head that has poor retention and minimal lacing.

S: The nutmeg and cinnamon make a faint appearance, but not much at all. There's no pumpkin to speak of. There's mostly sour acidity, and some yeasty funk on the nose.

T: For me the nutmeg and cinnamon don't come through in the taste. The wine barrels come though partially, but not very much. This beer is mostly a medium intensity sour that has characteristics of cherries and blackberries. There's a little bit of woodiness, but not much.

M: The aftertaste doesn't really linger as I'd like it to, the carbonation is a bit low for the style, and the body is appropriate.

D: For a 5% beer this has a lot of flavor. With that being said, I find it fairly one dimensionally and not all that interesting. It was nice to try once, but I probably won't seek this out again.

glazeman, Jan 27, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Bottle (2009)

(Aged for 2 years)

Best Damn Sour Fest
Bootlegger
San Diego, CA

Strange combination of blood orange and ruby. There's a very thin head and this beer doesn't leave much at all down the glass in the way of lacing.

Very mild aroma consisting of a slight sourness and a earthy component, though there simply isn't a lot here to smell.

There's certainly more to taste here than smell, and for that, I'm happy. There's a mild stinging sourness throughout along with an earthy, root, and floral character. There's certainly some Fall spices in here as well, but I'm sure they're quite muted compared to the fresh version of this.

Thin to medium bodied with very low carbonation.

This is an interesting, and above average sour. It was worth trying, but I have no desire to seek it out again.

ehammond1, Nov 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Ichabod 2009

Allawelsh night continues with Ichabod.

Poured into LA Stemware.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is a ruby with a rustic red hue to it.

Aroma: Pumpkin spice, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spice. Some sourness, but mainly spices.

Taste: More sour and tartness here, but still a ton of spice. Gingerbread men take this beer over. Pumpkin pie, cinnamon bits, and nutmeg. It also has a sourness, but I have no idea where it comes from it. It is kind of wine like, but still I can't figure out where the sourness comes from.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and tart. Medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean, surprisingly.

Overall, this is an interesting sour/pumpkin beer. It is decent, but very odd. I think a 1/3 bottle will be enough for me. I think it is somewhat drinkable, but I think I would pick out a different beer given the choice.

mothman, Dec 03, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, dark copper orange color with a white collared head. The aroma is weird and odd at the same time, notes of spice and pumpkin dominate the nose on this along with some sour/tart notes. Wow, the taste is way different than the nose with a sweet tart taste that then has a long drawn out flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg, and gingerbread. I actually am really surprised how tart this is at the beginning. For a pumpkin beer this is one of the better that I have had. I think I prefer my sours to be fruit based rather than vegetable based.

kbutler1, Nov 27, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

t0rin0, Aug 18, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle shared at the December Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a light copper color with a disappearing white head. Aroma is mainly lactic sourness. Not a whole lot of pumpkin to me really. Flavor is lemony with a meringue-like sweetness, cidery acidity, and a slight bretty chlorine note. A little heavy on the barrel aspect. Pretty good but maybe a third tier sour in the grand scheme.

illidurit, Jan 17, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Jeff saves the day again. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a light pumpkin orange with a finger of off-white head that quickly faded into a thin collar that left no lace.
S: Tart nose, lightly funky with a touch of fruit and maybe a hint of pumpkin. Smells a bit flowery as well.
T: Light funky and tart notes of fruit, spice, and a hint of lemon zest in the finish. The pumpkin isn’t prominent, but I do get a nice shake of pumpkin spice. The finish is vinous, and the aftertaste has hints of cinnamon and other spices.
M: Medium body, a bit dry, smooth mouthfeel with only a touch of acetone-like alcohol.
O: Really good but a little bit of a letdown for me. Still I enjoyed this and would gladly drink it again. Thanks again, ipa247.

scottfrie, Nov 24, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Graciously shared by mistakebythelake (thanks Bill!) at a Jackie O's tasting. At first I scoffed, thinking "pumpkin beer!", but I can admit I was wrong. The maker of arguably the nation's best west coast IPAs has made a VERY good wild ale here!

I got a nice pour, due to quick reflexes and some generosity, and it was really good. It's a medium-dark copper color, clear with a little haze, with a poofy white foam that wasn't long for the world. The aroma was brett-forward, tart and funky, with no discernable (to me) pumpkin. Maybe if it warmed more gourd subtleties would show themselves, but that wasn't to be. Too many bottles needed to be opened in a short time...

I tasted quite tart, not extreme, an accesible sour ale with the chops to satisfy any level of sour ale drinker. I get more grain notes than pumpkin. Maybe a little spice in the aftertaste, but it's hard for me to peg and I really might be reaching. Delicious in any case, and unexpectedly so.

TurdFurgison, Mar 21, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip. Thanks to whoever it was who shared this at CdC.

A: Chill-hazed orange body; wispy off-white bubbles. Ok.

S: Actual pumpkin (as opposed to pumpkin pie spice), spicy clove, and moderate sourness. Strange, and all right.

T: Much more sour and vinous than the nose, with the gourd coming in midway through. Huge lactic sourness on the finish. Tasty.

M: Light body, moderate froth. Solid.

O: Interesting beer, but not one I'd seek out. I liked that the pumpkin came through in its own right, but actually would have liked the spices to play a slightly bigger role.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Dec 11, 2011

jh1982, Nov 29, 2011

DJButters, Jan 04, 2012

Thanks, Shane.

Hazy copperish-brown with a small but lasting head. The nose is both spicy and sour. Nutmeg comes through fairly well beneath the fruity sourness, though I don't get any pumpkin. There's a strong vinous character as well, and a sour plum-like fruitiness. It's vinous on the palate, fruity with flavors of plums and red grapes. Spices come through well, and there's a doughy malt backbone. The finish is fruity, mildly sour and spicy. This is a nice easy drinking sour, nothing spectacular but very enjoyable.

largadeer, Nov 24, 2010

Bottle shared by Paul at Oakquinox.

A: The pour is amber in color with a large off-white head.

S: A mild vinegar aroma with plenty of red wine. Tart red fruits, and plenty of cherry aroma. There's a nice oak aroma and a minimal amount of funk. Don't really get the pumpkin or the spices, but I'm not surprised.

T: Moderate tartness with a touch of vinegar. It becomes a bit more puckering as it warms up. Plenty of red wine and oak flavor as well as a bit of red fruit. Sour cherries and vanilla make an appearance as well.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Quite nice. None of the Alpine sours have been over the top amazing, but they've been at least good.

womencantsail, Apr 22, 2011

yourefragile, Jan 14, 2012

JAHMUR, Dec 04, 2011

John11486, Nov 14, 2011

ObeMaltKinobee, Mar 07, 2012

nanobrew, Nov 14, 2011

djrn2, Feb 24, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks Shane for the bottle. Pour a very pretty peachy plum color with a medium white head. Heavy red wine barrel on the nose, a fair dose of brett, wet wood, strawberries, some stone fruit. Very tart in the mouth with a spritzy feel. The sourness here is intense and overwhelms the barrel, which I think is actually a good thing. Cherries and red berries, peaches. The finish is really sour, fairly acidic. I'm kind of comparing this to Cantillon Kriek in its high sourness and acidity, though this is less dry and the wine barrel comes across a bit more. Nice.

JAXSON, Nov 17, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Bomber thanks to largadeer.

Pours hazy reddish dark amber with nice tan bubbly foam sitting on top and decent lacing.

Aroma is nice and -baly with red wine, sweet caramel, pumpkin spice, and oak

Great tart red wine flavor, pumpkin and spice, oak barrel, and funk. Restrained tartness.

Medium-bodied with just the right acidity level and medium body.

Solid offering from Alpine, better than the unintentionally sour batch.

nickd717, Nov 24, 2010