Ichabod Ale 2009 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2009Ichabod Ale 2009

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

"Ichabod 2009" is a lightly sour, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg ale aged in a mix of red and white wine barrels 1.5 years.

Every time this beer is made, a different base beer is used but the main ingredients remain - Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. 6-7%ABV

(Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 10-31-2010)
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A big thanks to sleepyhead for hooking me up with a couple of these beers. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a dark mahogany (with more red than brown) into my Russian River Tulip. About a finger of slight off-white head is achieved that dissipates at a quick pace, leaving slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - After reading about this beer I was curious how strong the nose would be of spices. Thankfully it is a bit subdued and is not overpowering. Nutmeg, cinnamon, slight pumpkin, and brown sugar shines through explicitly. Once these "spicy" notes finish the great aroma of brett and other sour aromas begin to show. The two aromas meld together in an altogether fascinating way.

Taste - Woah! I am pleasantly surprised! I was not expecting such a tart/sour rush from the, in my opinion, rather subdued nose. My mouth immediately puckers up from the acidic and tart flavors. There is a clear wine barrel taste mixed with oak and slight barnyard funk (though there really is quite a bit of acidity to it, the more I'm drinking this the more I am noticing it). It is not until my mouth has recovered from the initial sour shock that at the tail end I can taste the pumpkin and spices. As with the nose, they are not dominant and I am thankful for this. I was hoping this would be more AWA than Spicy Pumpkin beer, and it most certainly is. Freaking delicious. Very glad I have one more of these to save/age.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly creamy - moderate body and carbonation, finishes dry and tart.

Drinkability - Very interesting beer. The only thing I will mention is it is a bit high in acidity so I am taking my time and enjoying this, but people (like me) who enjoy damn tart beers will absolutely love this. Highly recommended.

SpdKilz, Nov 14, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle courtesy of i630. Thanks Mike!

It pours a slightly hazy deep amber red colour with a small and quickly shrinking head of foam. The lacing is good during this early stage of the session.

Foam and lacing disappear about midway through the session.

The smell is fresh pumpkin pie with the fixings...cinnamon, big nutmeg, very spicy and nice. And then, on the swing side, I'm getting huge sour notes, obviously the American Wild Ale side shining through. The aroma is top notch!

The taste is dominated by the sour grape notes from the wine barrel aging. Light pumpkin with good nutmeg flavours round out this very delicious and thoroughly enjoyable ale. Just picked up a little bit of bread in the taste...complex brew yet easily approachable.

Fairly light bodied with lowish levels of carbonation, good mouth feel.

Drinkabilty is through the roof for me with the 5%abv providing a valuable assist. A new favourite of the style!

Edit: The second pour and the beer is now cloudy with a bit of sediment. I can't wait to dig into that!

Bitterbill, Nov 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a moderately hazy brown with amber highlights, capped by a finger of frothy, eggshell colored head. Retention is good as the head settles slowly, leaving light lacing down the glass.

S: Moderate lactic acidity up front with some sweet lemon zest character, followed by a big dose of winter baking spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, and some light cloves. Some pumpkin lurks in the background along with vanilla and wine notes from the barrel aging.

T: Opens up with lactic acidity, a high quick burst that quickly returns to a moderate level. Wine barrel character comes in on the mid-palate with light oak shining through, while the pumpkin and spices build up to a strong, pumpkin pie type finish. Good, but I think a bit more age will do it some benefit as far as flavor integration.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Interesting flavors and holds up well, the acidity is a touch high at times but not bracingly so...good take on the pumpkin ale style, I look forward to seeing how this develops over time.

Xul, Nov 01, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Shared a bottle with the wife.

A-Pours a nice brown color. A little white head that settles quickly. Leaves a ring of bubbles around the edge. A little lacing.

S-Sour, tart, acidic, woody. The spices come out a little in the end.

T-Acidic, sour, tart, pumpkin pie spices.

M-Light bodied with a little carbonation.

D-Really nice, a good mix of flavors and a light body.

ZX6Chris, Oct 31, 2010