Ichabod Ale 2009 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2009Ichabod Ale 2009

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 10-31-2010

"Ichabod 2009" is a lightly sour, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg ale aged in a mix of red and white wine barrels 1.5 years.

Every time this beer is made, a different base beer is used but the main ingredients remain - Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. 6-7%ABV
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

2009 Bottle thanks to Kan, drank from a Cigar City snifter. First of all this sounds horrible, but man its good. Don't judge a book by its cover here... Medium copper, dirty, lightly clear, not very carbonation... The aroma is tart lactic notes on the front, wish it was a touch stronger. Some nice pumpkin accents come through towards the middle and through the finish, just enough to give the flavor doesn't overwhelm. A hint of nutmeg as well.... The taste is in a similar vein but even more successful. Great tart vinegar on the front, very cloying, wonderful mouthfeel. Some great vinous notes, barrel notes as well. The finish is distinctly pumpkin while not bad, is a bit distracting, lots of spices of well.

This is shockingly good. Don't reference as a pumpkin beer, just a good sour that has some pumpkin notes. Recommend. (833 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

22oz bomber thanks to Kan!

A - Pours a dark orange/light brown, off-white head, some random spotty lacing, a thin whisp here and there on top.

S - Nice sour/tart, slight funk, some oak, ever so slight pumpkin.

T - A good level of sour/funk, oak, the sour/funk really kills anything remnants of pumpkin that was there to being with. Just a good amount of sour/funk with a nice oaky finish.

M - Light, good carbonation, dry finish.

D - A solid sour from Alpine....seems they do other things well then just APA/IPA/DIPA. I really enjoyed this one. Recommend. (560 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle bought at Beverages 4 Less

A: Beautiful dark brown with some ruby highlights and absolutely no head.

S: A ton of tartness, brett and sourness in here. It's hard to pick up the spices unless you take a huge whiff of this one. Then, you can pick up some cinnamon and nutmeg.

T: Sweet tartness with a little sour black cherry/ green apple feel and then a punch in the mouth of sourness. I don't know that I've ever had a beer more sour than this and I'm loving it. There's not a ton of pumpkin, but I could care less. This is a great beer. (547 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -22.5%

Waited a long time to try this one. Got this one straight out of the whale's vagina.

Smell is pretty good - I get some barnyard funk and a little bit of sweet allspice. Lots of wine.

Taste is sour lemons and red wine.

A little too sour and too carbonated, but some nice biscuit in the finish.

This is a decent beer, but nothing special. Not worth the hype. (362 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into a snifter

A: Amberish ruby red in color with a ½ finger white head that has poor retention and minimal lacing.

S: The nutmeg and cinnamon make a faint appearance, but not much at all. There's no pumpkin to speak of. There's mostly sour acidity, and some yeasty funk on the nose.

T: For me the nutmeg and cinnamon don't come through in the taste. The wine barrels come though partially, but not very much. This beer is mostly a medium intensity sour that has characteristics of cherries and blackberries. There's a little bit of woodiness, but not much.

M: The aftertaste doesn't really linger as I'd like it to, the carbonation is a bit low for the style, and the body is appropriate.

D: For a 5% beer this has a lot of flavor. With that being said, I find it fairly one dimensionally and not all that interesting. It was nice to try once, but I probably won't seek this out again. (899 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle into Bruery tulip

Pours out a deep golden color. A small head emerges that is white in color but quickly fades away to just a ring around the glass. Hazy when held up to the light and is big golden when held up to the light. Not much is left on the glass as this recedes down the glass. Some foam spots there and there but nothing of any significance.

Nice and funky nose on this one. This is the second time I've had this beer and this time it is much more sour smelling. I like this. Not getting a lot of the spices from the base beer. Perhaps those have given way to the sourness at this point.

Very interesting taste. Very tart and sour upon first taste. There is this weird wine like taste that I get but I can't put my finger on what it could be. I'm sure it's something from the red and white wine barrels coming though but I have absolutely no idea what it could be. I can't get a lot of the spices or pumpkin in the taste, I remember being able to get that when I first had this one. Much more dominated by sourness/tartness now which I'm really enjoying.

Toward the lighter side of carbonation and that leads to a thinner bodied feel in the mouth. Very puckering though as this one sits in the mouth but once swallowed not much of a sour aftertaste.

I really liked this one. I do wish I could have picked up some of the spices that are found in regular Ichabod but this is a very nice beer. It is a very delicious beer. It's not a very quick drink but every sip of this I enjoyed. If you have a bottle of this it is great right now. (1,554 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle shared at the December Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a light copper color with a disappearing white head. Aroma is mainly lactic sourness. Not a whole lot of pumpkin to me really. Flavor is lemony with a meringue-like sweetness, cidery acidity, and a slight bretty chlorine note. A little heavy on the barrel aspect. Pretty good but maybe a third tier sour in the grand scheme. (380 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Massive thanks to Kshock for sending me this as an extra in a past trade! 'Drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed!' on the side of the bottle... It was 4:30PM and I was thirsty so guess which one I chose. Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured red-orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subside to a minimal amount very very slowly. Also the head fizzed audibly like soda. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, subtle funk, cinnamon, and nutmeg (as it warmed up). The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, pumpkin (it does have pumpkin in it afterall), cinnamon, and more pumpkin on the aftertaste. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. In my opinion, I will not be able to look at a pumpkin beer the same as I know believe this is how any brew with pumpkin in it should taste. The sour/tart aspect worked beautifully with the typical pumpkin ale spices. I highly recommend this brew to anyone out there! (1,032 characters)

4.18/5  rDev 0%

This one poured a very nice and somewhat hazy orange tinted amber with a lot of fizzy and foamy carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. A somewhat smallish head formed on top that nestled down into simply a thin layer across the top which hung around for a good little while before settling down into nothing. Smell was very tart at first. As it warmed a light earthy grain like aroma took over and a small but still detectable amount of spice as well. The taste was very bitter, and not at all what I was expecting to be honest. It had a nice grainy back which came through nicely with a hint of spice on the end of it, however these were blown out of the water by a sour and bitter fruit like bite to the finish. Almost came off as a sour ale in a way, very bitter. Medium body was lightened a bit by the ample carbonation. Smooth texture though and a great dry finish just added on to it. Overall again this was not what I expected at all, but as it turned out was still very good. I really enjoyed the different take it had to the normal fall classic and really the flavor came out of left field for me. I will definitely try this one again and I am glad I have another one to enjoy. This is a must try for anyone looking for something that is a bit different with a raw edge to it. (1,301 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Recieved this from one of my buddies who headed up to the brewery for a couple hours.

A: A red/orange appearance. The nice white head developed with the pour but went away pretty quickly.

S: A nice sour scent comes forward almost immediately with a slight fruityness.

T: Sour is the predominant flavor that hits you immediately. There are some mild cinnamon and nutmeg spice flavors and it leaves the aftertaste of straw/wheat. The pumkin doesn't really come through for me.

M: Medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation which I feel is right for this style.

D: I really enjoyed this beer and was pleasantly suprised when I cracked it open. What a great Christmas gift!

Since I live in San Diego and Alpine is in our backyard, i'll definately try to seek out a couple more bottles of this one. (804 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 and Amyliz4. Thanks Mike and Amy! This was not one of the bottles that were part of Amy's Christmas present, I was informed.

A: This beer appears hazy and orange in color, with a decent sized white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is great, with scents of funk, sourness, wild yeast, holiday spices. I would be hard pressed to list pumpkin as a distinguishable scent.

T: Again, pumpkin plays a subtle role. The flavor is predominantly sour, with hints of fruity sweetness. These fruit notes are quickly consumed by an acetic and lactic sour funkiness. Cinnamon and nutmeg flavors add a very interesting twist to this already complex and unique brew, helping to highlight the somewhat lost pumpkin flavor, which quietly emerges near the finish.

M: Light to medium in body, with a healthy carbonation level. Funk and sourness present throughout, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

D: A great take on a pumpkin / spiced ale. I would absolutely have this again. (1,018 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

This was a cool oddity pulled out by Thorpe the other day, thanks Mike a beer made with pumpkin that I really like!

Beer is copper and pretty hazy with a thin wispy white head of tiny bubbles and minimal lacing, carbonation appears low.

Aroma is kind of like a weak temptation. Mildly acetic with a lactic backbone, not a lot of pumpkin in the nose but that's OK. Mild spice.

Beer is light in body and pops on the palate, the spice comes up later in the mouth than anything else, overall its a nice beer. Minimal pumpkin flavor but the acetic brightness focuses the palate on the late spice flavors which are not too strong and do not come off as annoying. Interesting. (673 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Got this bottle from South Bay Drugs. Served in a tulip.

Pours a medium copper color with a short white head and a bit of lacing as it falls down to nothing with a thin collar around the edges. The nose brings forward some strawberry seeds, cinnamon, lactic and acetic character, as well as some other pumpkin-type spicing. The taste is along the same lines, though the sourness integrates itself more here. Good interaction between the spicing and the wild character. Thoroughly enjoyable. Mouthfeel is nice with mostly lactic acid coming through followed up by a very mild vinegar presence. Drinks pretty well. Definitely a brew worth seeking out. (650 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Pours a orangish/red with a small amount of head that dissipates quickly.

S: So much strong sour funk with some spices in the background.

T: You can definitely taste the mixture of white and red wine barrels. Its as though you taste the white wine barrels first and the the red wine barrels with spices mixed in. It was kind of like drinking Russian river's supplication and consecration along with some spices mixed in the best way possible.

M: Tiny bubbles of carbonation at the very beginning. Very light/thing feel on the tongue. Feel those puckering cheeks. Sour/tart feel in the mouth.

D:Easy to drink at 5%. I considered drinking the other one in my fridge. Sour is not overwhelming but strong enough. Look forward to drinking again. (747 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Thank you Sleepyhead for this marvel.

A - pours a brown crisp clear. It has a slight tan head, that laces well.

S - initial wiff signals beige fruits. Cherries and raspberries galore. The pumpkin comes in and takes over.

T - wow. This beer is an expirience. It begins by pulling in your cheeks with a tart cherry flavor. The beer keeps that lingerig sourness throughout the drink. The pumpkin is noticeable with the downing of the drink, followed by slight nutmeg and cinnamon. Amazing.

M - the beer is a little thin, a little more bubbles would not hurt the style.

D - at 5%, and a pretty sour beer, this beer grabs me and holds on. I don't want to drop it. It's a magical expirience. Two styles I love, mating in my mouth.

O - where can I get more of this? (766 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Clear orange copper colored with a bog, average lasting, fluffy whitish head. Lots of lacing left throughout.

S - Lite tart aroma with a pleasant funkiness. Lite spices and bready malts, with a little bit of vanilla. Lite alcholic notes are pleasant.

F/M - Tart/lactic sourness with a moderate funkiness. Bready and sweet pils malts, with a lite spice flavor - cloves, cinnamon, etc. Balanced very well between the sweet and the sour, with neither one dominating over the other. Clean, very dry finish. Medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Lingering tart acidity.

D - Tasty, funky, tart, dry and refreshing, this is another great beer from Alpine Beer Co. Definitely worth seeking out. (703 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

A solid pour into my Lost Abbey Teku glass produces a two-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a dark amber color that shows an almost clear, gold tinged, light amber color. Up front the beer smells most prominently of lactic acid up front; tart and inviting with a supporting backbone of spicy and woody oak character. Somehow the lactic acidity reminds me a bit of creamy lemon or tart grapefruit. Really the oak and acidity are the most prominent in the nose, and I really don't smell much in the way of Pumpkin and spices. Having just said that I think I am getting a sort of round, soft, nutmeg and / or cinnamon note that almost brings out a caramelized note just a bit towards the finish. Hmm, and now there is a distinct note of woody black pepper that melds in with a soft mustiness. As the beer warms the soft, round spices become a touch more prominent, but it is never more than subtle, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The oak character becomes quite a bit more prominent as the beer warms up during the second and third pours, but never providing more than a solid, spicy / woody backbone.

Very nicely tart tasting with a solid grapefruit like acidity; the lactic acid adds a lushness to the palate and it coats the mouth. There is a nice prickle to the texture from a persistent, but not overly aggressive carbonation; the prickle is actually boosted by the acidity and this is actually probably the main source of the prickly "texture" as the actual carbonation is quite slight. The finish has a soft, lingering, almost woody, nutmeg like note to it. There is a certain earthiness to this beer, it is quite subtle and somewhat accentuated by the hint of spices, the woody oak notes and the oak spiciness. At times the acidity here adds a flavor that is quite substantially of sour grapefruit, it is quite refreshing and tasty. Towards the end of my last glass I start to get a squash like flavor in the finish; it is wrapped up in the tartness, but also has a touch of vegetal squash flesh to it. At times the acidity seems to somehow accentuate a perceived sweetness in this beer, which in turn accentuates a lightly caramelized and even chewy grain character.

The actual pumpkin character here is quite slight, in fact I can't really say that I can pick it out, the spices too are slight and I really like how soft and subtle they are here as I hate when these get over done. I really like the creaminess that the texture has, the malt body and lactic acidity combine to create quite the lush character without keeping this from being quaffable. The funk here is quite simplistic in some ways as it is definitely focused on the lactic character; this character is lush and well integrated and is just bracing enough to keep me quite interested. This does not really have a wild, funky, or Brett influenced, but I can't say that I am missing the wildness that I so like in Lambics; this beer manages to work quite well without it. This is quite the nice beer, easily one of my favorite beers with pumpkin / pumpkin-spices in it, though this is clearly not the focus in this beer, but both do contribute subtly to the profile of this beer. A very well done beer that I have thoroughly enjoyed and which I am quite disappointed to find that my last glass so quickly disappears. (3,313 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Nice Copper color with light fluffy 1 finger head that receedes to a slight ring leaving mild lacing.

S- Smells vinous, loads of brett and acid, slightly sweet pumpkin pie mix scent with more nutmeg and cinnamon, very souringly oaky. Really liking the sour smell on this beer.

T- Loads of sour vinous wine and oak flavors to start with a slight sweet pumpkin pie taste followed by the nutmeg and cinnamon finish. Extremely dry finish and loads of sourness, as it warms the nutmeg finish shines and the pumpkin pie starts to show more, but still really sour.

M- Easy drinking, medium carbonation and body, carbonation cleanses the palate nicely and leaves a long finish.

D- I hate pumpkin beers and have yet to find one that I enjoy but this really isn't a pumpkin beer, this is a great Wild ale where the pumpkin takes a backseat. Awesome and I will buy more. Alpine keep up the great work... (899 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours an amber brown hue with a fluffy off white 2 finger head into a mikasa tulip. Moderate retention as well as some blotchy lacing.

Sweet and sour smell. Light brown sugar notes as well as some sorts of pumkin creme brulee intermingled with the sour character.

Taste starts immediately sour and bretty but then quickly moves into a sweet pumpkin creme brulee flavor intertwined with lingering sourness. very interesting. The sweet aspect of it isn't so much pumpkin pie as it is a sweet pumpkin pie with a sugary undertone.

Mouthfeel has little carbonation but is relatively smooth.

Very Drinkable, I would easily be able to finish 2 bombers of this.

Overall I will be seeking out a few more bottles if at all possible.

Thanks for this one johndoe8! (761 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: Pour is amber with a smallish head, little lacing:

Smell: Mostly general sourness with some vinegar and a non-descript spice mix.

Taste: Apparently the main ingredients are Pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. I might get a faint hint of cinnamon and nutmeg but not really. I guess if I close my eyes and pretend I can maybe get some pumpkin, but I am not sure I would get even that if you didn't tell me to look for it. There is a apple cider (vinegar) element to it; wassail or something.

Mouthfeel: medium body, perhaps a bit thin, carbonation might be slightly aggressive.

Drinkability: weird beer, I wish I could at least pick up some pumpkins. Would not do it again. (681 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

Ichabod 2009

Allawelsh night continues with Ichabod.

Poured into LA Stemware.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is a ruby with a rustic red hue to it.

Aroma: Pumpkin spice, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spice. Some sourness, but mainly spices.

Taste: More sour and tartness here, but still a ton of spice. Gingerbread men take this beer over. Pumpkin pie, cinnamon bits, and nutmeg. It also has a sourness, but I have no idea where it comes from it. It is kind of wine like, but still I can't figure out where the sourness comes from.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and tart. Medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean, surprisingly.

Overall, this is an interesting sour/pumpkin beer. It is decent, but very odd. I think a 1/3 bottle will be enough for me. I think it is somewhat drinkable, but I think I would pick out a different beer given the choice. (896 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

Very surprisingly mellow smell, no overpowering spices or anything. Smells slightly spiced but very little pumpkin, cinnamon or etc. in the nose, very clean sour and fruity smell.

The taste is superb. Very puckeringly sour with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, not so much pumpkin. Very awesome dry and unique finish as well.

I usually stay away from pumpkin or seasonal autumn ales, but this one is very restrained and well done. Very light hints of fall flavors with a nice sour body. Great mouthfeel and easy to drink.

This beer probably put Alpine over the top as my favorite brewery, quite honestly. Never had a bad beer from them and it seems like they knock my socks off with every new beer I try. (740 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Hey, a pumpkin beer I like! Probably cause it tastes very little like pumpkin!

Big thanks to Doran M ... hophead84. Thanks buddy!

Pours a slightly hazzy ruddy brown color. Fast vanishing tan head. Smells like sour wine, soury sourness, a splash of spoiled pumpkin, and some acid notes. Yum. Smells good.

Taste is really quite nice. Mostly sour, with a red wine base to it ... I think ... and some fresher grape notes. Also that puckering sour base. There's a bit of pumpkin, and some spices I could really do without (almost unnoticeable, but I'd prefer they weren't noticeable).

Surprisingly very good. (608 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy redish-brown. Smell contains a bit of apple, lots of yeasty, cranberries and a trace of citrus. Very tart and acidic but in a good way. Dry. Mouthfeel is thick and has plenty of carbonation. I enjoyed this. A very good representation of an American Wilkd ale (271 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, dark copper orange color with a white collared head. The aroma is weird and odd at the same time, notes of spice and pumpkin dominate the nose on this along with some sour/tart notes. Wow, the taste is way different than the nose with a sweet tart taste that then has a long drawn out flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg, and gingerbread. I actually am really surprised how tart this is at the beginning. For a pumpkin beer this is one of the better that I have had. I think I prefer my sours to be fruit based rather than vegetable based. (572 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast