Ichabod Ale 2009 - Alpine Beer Company

Ichabod Ale 2009Ichabod Ale 2009

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

"Ichabod 2009" is a lightly sour, tart pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg ale aged in a mix of red and white wine barrels 1.5 years.

Every time this beer is made, a different base beer is used but the main ingredients remain - Pumpkin, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. 6-7%ABV

(Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 10-31-2010)
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Massive thanks to Kshock for sending me this as an extra in a past trade! 'Drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed!' on the side of the bottle... It was 4:30PM and I was thirsty so guess which one I chose. Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured red-orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subside to a minimal amount very very slowly. Also the head fizzed audibly like soda. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, subtle funk, cinnamon, and nutmeg (as it warmed up). The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, pumpkin (it does have pumpkin in it afterall), cinnamon, and more pumpkin on the aftertaste. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. In my opinion, I will not be able to look at a pumpkin beer the same as I know believe this is how any brew with pumpkin in it should taste. The sour/tart aspect worked beautifully with the typical pumpkin ale spices. I highly recommend this brew to anyone out there!

01-14-2011 14:10:37 | More by thagr81us
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

This one poured a very nice and somewhat hazy orange tinted amber with a lot of fizzy and foamy carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. A somewhat smallish head formed on top that nestled down into simply a thin layer across the top which hung around for a good little while before settling down into nothing. Smell was very tart at first. As it warmed a light earthy grain like aroma took over and a small but still detectable amount of spice as well. The taste was very bitter, and not at all what I was expecting to be honest. It had a nice grainy back which came through nicely with a hint of spice on the end of it, however these were blown out of the water by a sour and bitter fruit like bite to the finish. Almost came off as a sour ale in a way, very bitter. Medium body was lightened a bit by the ample carbonation. Smooth texture though and a great dry finish just added on to it. Overall again this was not what I expected at all, but as it turned out was still very good. I really enjoyed the different take it had to the normal fall classic and really the flavor came out of left field for me. I will definitely try this one again and I am glad I have another one to enjoy. This is a must try for anyone looking for something that is a bit different with a raw edge to it.

01-09-2011 15:46:21 | More by mikesgroove
BostonJohn

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Recieved this from one of my buddies who headed up to the brewery for a couple hours.

A: A red/orange appearance. The nice white head developed with the pour but went away pretty quickly.

S: A nice sour scent comes forward almost immediately with a slight fruityness.

T: Sour is the predominant flavor that hits you immediately. There are some mild cinnamon and nutmeg spice flavors and it leaves the aftertaste of straw/wheat. The pumkin doesn't really come through for me.

M: Medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation which I feel is right for this style.

D: I really enjoyed this beer and was pleasantly suprised when I cracked it open. What a great Christmas gift!

Since I live in San Diego and Alpine is in our backyard, i'll definately try to seek out a couple more bottles of this one.

01-08-2011 05:07:05 | More by BostonJohn
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 and Amyliz4. Thanks Mike and Amy! This was not one of the bottles that were part of Amy's Christmas present, I was informed.

A: This beer appears hazy and orange in color, with a decent sized white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is great, with scents of funk, sourness, wild yeast, holiday spices. I would be hard pressed to list pumpkin as a distinguishable scent.

T: Again, pumpkin plays a subtle role. The flavor is predominantly sour, with hints of fruity sweetness. These fruit notes are quickly consumed by an acetic and lactic sour funkiness. Cinnamon and nutmeg flavors add a very interesting twist to this already complex and unique brew, helping to highlight the somewhat lost pumpkin flavor, which quietly emerges near the finish.

M: Light to medium in body, with a healthy carbonation level. Funk and sourness present throughout, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

D: A great take on a pumpkin / spiced ale. I would absolutely have this again.

01-07-2011 21:54:34 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

This was a cool oddity pulled out by Thorpe the other day, thanks Mike a beer made with pumpkin that I really like!

Beer is copper and pretty hazy with a thin wispy white head of tiny bubbles and minimal lacing, carbonation appears low.

Aroma is kind of like a weak temptation. Mildly acetic with a lactic backbone, not a lot of pumpkin in the nose but that's OK. Mild spice.

Beer is light in body and pops on the palate, the spice comes up later in the mouth than anything else, overall its a nice beer. Minimal pumpkin flavor but the acetic brightness focuses the palate on the late spice flavors which are not too strong and do not come off as annoying. Interesting.

01-06-2011 19:53:39 | More by drabmuh
Thorpe429

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Got this bottle from South Bay Drugs. Served in a tulip.

Pours a medium copper color with a short white head and a bit of lacing as it falls down to nothing with a thin collar around the edges. The nose brings forward some strawberry seeds, cinnamon, lactic and acetic character, as well as some other pumpkin-type spicing. The taste is along the same lines, though the sourness integrates itself more here. Good interaction between the spicing and the wild character. Thoroughly enjoyable. Mouthfeel is nice with mostly lactic acid coming through followed up by a very mild vinegar presence. Drinks pretty well. Definitely a brew worth seeking out.

01-04-2011 03:06:12 | More by Thorpe429
gregshead

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a orangish/red with a small amount of head that dissipates quickly.

S: So much strong sour funk with some spices in the background.

T: You can definitely taste the mixture of white and red wine barrels. Its as though you taste the white wine barrels first and the the red wine barrels with spices mixed in. It was kind of like drinking Russian river's supplication and consecration along with some spices mixed in the best way possible.

M: Tiny bubbles of carbonation at the very beginning. Very light/thing feel on the tongue. Feel those puckering cheeks. Sour/tart feel in the mouth.

D:Easy to drink at 5%. I considered drinking the other one in my fridge. Sour is not overwhelming but strong enough. Look forward to drinking again.

01-01-2011 06:09:24 | More by gregshead
abecall98

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Thank you Sleepyhead for this marvel.

A - pours a brown crisp clear. It has a slight tan head, that laces well.

S - initial wiff signals beige fruits. Cherries and raspberries galore. The pumpkin comes in and takes over.

T - wow. This beer is an expirience. It begins by pulling in your cheeks with a tart cherry flavor. The beer keeps that lingerig sourness throughout the drink. The pumpkin is noticeable with the downing of the drink, followed by slight nutmeg and cinnamon. Amazing.

M - the beer is a little thin, a little more bubbles would not hurt the style.

D - at 5%, and a pretty sour beer, this beer grabs me and holds on. I don't want to drop it. It's a magical expirience. Two styles I love, mating in my mouth.

O - where can I get more of this?

12-30-2010 05:11:05 | More by abecall98
domtronzero

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Clear orange copper colored with a bog, average lasting, fluffy whitish head. Lots of lacing left throughout.

S - Lite tart aroma with a pleasant funkiness. Lite spices and bready malts, with a little bit of vanilla. Lite alcholic notes are pleasant.

F/M - Tart/lactic sourness with a moderate funkiness. Bready and sweet pils malts, with a lite spice flavor - cloves, cinnamon, etc. Balanced very well between the sweet and the sour, with neither one dominating over the other. Clean, very dry finish. Medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Lingering tart acidity.

D - Tasty, funky, tart, dry and refreshing, this is another great beer from Alpine Beer Co. Definitely worth seeking out.

12-25-2010 00:46:31 | More by domtronzero
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

A solid pour into my Lost Abbey Teku glass produces a two-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a dark amber color that shows an almost clear, gold tinged, light amber color. Up front the beer smells most prominently of lactic acid up front; tart and inviting with a supporting backbone of spicy and woody oak character. Somehow the lactic acidity reminds me a bit of creamy lemon or tart grapefruit. Really the oak and acidity are the most prominent in the nose, and I really don't smell much in the way of Pumpkin and spices. Having just said that I think I am getting a sort of round, soft, nutmeg and / or cinnamon note that almost brings out a caramelized note just a bit towards the finish. Hmm, and now there is a distinct note of woody black pepper that melds in with a soft mustiness. As the beer warms the soft, round spices become a touch more prominent, but it is never more than subtle, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The oak character becomes quite a bit more prominent as the beer warms up during the second and third pours, but never providing more than a solid, spicy / woody backbone.

Very nicely tart tasting with a solid grapefruit like acidity; the lactic acid adds a lushness to the palate and it coats the mouth. There is a nice prickle to the texture from a persistent, but not overly aggressive carbonation; the prickle is actually boosted by the acidity and this is actually probably the main source of the prickly "texture" as the actual carbonation is quite slight. The finish has a soft, lingering, almost woody, nutmeg like note to it. There is a certain earthiness to this beer, it is quite subtle and somewhat accentuated by the hint of spices, the woody oak notes and the oak spiciness. At times the acidity here adds a flavor that is quite substantially of sour grapefruit, it is quite refreshing and tasty. Towards the end of my last glass I start to get a squash like flavor in the finish; it is wrapped up in the tartness, but also has a touch of vegetal squash flesh to it. At times the acidity seems to somehow accentuate a perceived sweetness in this beer, which in turn accentuates a lightly caramelized and even chewy grain character.

The actual pumpkin character here is quite slight, in fact I can't really say that I can pick it out, the spices too are slight and I really like how soft and subtle they are here as I hate when these get over done. I really like the creaminess that the texture has, the malt body and lactic acidity combine to create quite the lush character without keeping this from being quaffable. The funk here is quite simplistic in some ways as it is definitely focused on the lactic character; this character is lush and well integrated and is just bracing enough to keep me quite interested. This does not really have a wild, funky, or Brett influenced, but I can't say that I am missing the wildness that I so like in Lambics; this beer manages to work quite well without it. This is quite the nice beer, easily one of my favorite beers with pumpkin / pumpkin-spices in it, though this is clearly not the focus in this beer, but both do contribute subtly to the profile of this beer. A very well done beer that I have thoroughly enjoyed and which I am quite disappointed to find that my last glass so quickly disappears.

12-23-2010 15:35:23 | More by Gueuzedude
Schmaltzy

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Nice Copper color with light fluffy 1 finger head that receedes to a slight ring leaving mild lacing.

S- Smells vinous, loads of brett and acid, slightly sweet pumpkin pie mix scent with more nutmeg and cinnamon, very souringly oaky. Really liking the sour smell on this beer.

T- Loads of sour vinous wine and oak flavors to start with a slight sweet pumpkin pie taste followed by the nutmeg and cinnamon finish. Extremely dry finish and loads of sourness, as it warms the nutmeg finish shines and the pumpkin pie starts to show more, but still really sour.

M- Easy drinking, medium carbonation and body, carbonation cleanses the palate nicely and leaves a long finish.

D- I hate pumpkin beers and have yet to find one that I enjoy but this really isn't a pumpkin beer, this is a great Wild ale where the pumpkin takes a backseat. Awesome and I will buy more. Alpine keep up the great work...

12-17-2010 20:44:37 | More by Schmaltzy
STEG

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours an amber brown hue with a fluffy off white 2 finger head into a mikasa tulip. Moderate retention as well as some blotchy lacing.

Sweet and sour smell. Light brown sugar notes as well as some sorts of pumkin creme brulee intermingled with the sour character.

Taste starts immediately sour and bretty but then quickly moves into a sweet pumpkin creme brulee flavor intertwined with lingering sourness. very interesting. The sweet aspect of it isn't so much pumpkin pie as it is a sweet pumpkin pie with a sugary undertone.

Mouthfeel has little carbonation but is relatively smooth.

Very Drinkable, I would easily be able to finish 2 bombers of this.

Overall I will be seeking out a few more bottles if at all possible.

Thanks for this one johndoe8!

12-06-2010 02:47:31 | More by STEG
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Pour is amber with a smallish head, little lacing:

Smell: Mostly general sourness with some vinegar and a non-descript spice mix.

Taste: Apparently the main ingredients are Pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. I might get a faint hint of cinnamon and nutmeg but not really. I guess if I close my eyes and pretend I can maybe get some pumpkin, but I am not sure I would get even that if you didn't tell me to look for it. There is a apple cider (vinegar) element to it; wassail or something.

Mouthfeel: medium body, perhaps a bit thin, carbonation might be slightly aggressive.

Drinkability: weird beer, I wish I could at least pick up some pumpkins. Would not do it again.

12-06-2010 01:43:47 | More by craytonic
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Ichabod 2009

Allawelsh night continues with Ichabod.

Poured into LA Stemware.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is a ruby with a rustic red hue to it.

Aroma: Pumpkin spice, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spice. Some sourness, but mainly spices.

Taste: More sour and tartness here, but still a ton of spice. Gingerbread men take this beer over. Pumpkin pie, cinnamon bits, and nutmeg. It also has a sourness, but I have no idea where it comes from it. It is kind of wine like, but still I can't figure out where the sourness comes from.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and tart. Medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean, surprisingly.

Overall, this is an interesting sour/pumpkin beer. It is decent, but very odd. I think a 1/3 bottle will be enough for me. I think it is somewhat drinkable, but I think I would pick out a different beer given the choice.

12-03-2010 18:41:18 | More by mothman
Reveille1984

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

Very surprisingly mellow smell, no overpowering spices or anything. Smells slightly spiced but very little pumpkin, cinnamon or etc. in the nose, very clean sour and fruity smell.

The taste is superb. Very puckeringly sour with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, not so much pumpkin. Very awesome dry and unique finish as well.

I usually stay away from pumpkin or seasonal autumn ales, but this one is very restrained and well done. Very light hints of fall flavors with a nice sour body. Great mouthfeel and easy to drink.

This beer probably put Alpine over the top as my favorite brewery, quite honestly. Never had a bad beer from them and it seems like they knock my socks off with every new beer I try.

11-30-2010 01:44:54 | More by Reveille1984
Overlord

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Hey, a pumpkin beer I like! Probably cause it tastes very little like pumpkin!

Big thanks to Doran M ... hophead84. Thanks buddy!

Pours a slightly hazzy ruddy brown color. Fast vanishing tan head. Smells like sour wine, soury sourness, a splash of spoiled pumpkin, and some acid notes. Yum. Smells good.

Taste is really quite nice. Mostly sour, with a red wine base to it ... I think ... and some fresher grape notes. Also that puckering sour base. There's a bit of pumpkin, and some spices I could really do without (almost unnoticeable, but I'd prefer they weren't noticeable).

Surprisingly very good.

11-28-2010 05:16:26 | More by Overlord
mymrnngjckt

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a hazy redish-brown. Smell contains a bit of apple, lots of yeasty, cranberries and a trace of citrus. Very tart and acidic but in a good way. Dry. Mouthfeel is thick and has plenty of carbonation. I enjoyed this. A very good representation of an American Wilkd ale

11-27-2010 14:08:45 | More by mymrnngjckt
kbutler1

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, dark copper orange color with a white collared head. The aroma is weird and odd at the same time, notes of spice and pumpkin dominate the nose on this along with some sour/tart notes. Wow, the taste is way different than the nose with a sweet tart taste that then has a long drawn out flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg, and gingerbread. I actually am really surprised how tart this is at the beginning. For a pumpkin beer this is one of the better that I have had. I think I prefer my sours to be fruit based rather than vegetable based.

11-27-2010 04:29:00 | More by kbutler1
DeanMoriarty

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Picked up three 22oz bombers today from Alpine Brewery for $7.99 a piece. Poured into a Geuze Boon Lembeek glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper hue with a thin head leaving very small amounts of lace in my glass.

S: Sour fruit, citrus, musty wood funk, a bit of spice and earthy notes at the end.

T: Sour fruit up front with a blast of acidity that mellows with a sweet fruity/red wine flavor, followed up with a musty leather & woody funk that finishes bready with a lingering flavor of pumpkin spice. By far one of the tastiest wild ales i've ever had.

M: On the lighter side of medium-bodied, good carbonation (very effervescent on the palate), finishes tart and dry.

D: Extremely easy drinker (picked up 3 today and already drank 2) and especially at $7.99 a bomber which is half the price for twice as much as what the competition has to offer at the same quality of product - keep it up Alpine!

11-25-2010 02:34:50 | More by DeanMoriarty
flexabull

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle courtesy of sleepyhead, thanks again!

Pours a light and bright orange color with a faint off white head.

Aromas are of light pumpkin, some spice, nutmeg, and cider vinegar. It's on the light side when it comes to the nose.

Taste is super complex. With each sip I seemed to taste something different. Cider, red wine vinegar, pumpkin, white wine, and mixed spice flavors were all noted at different times. Finish has a light creaminess, and a sour lemon like crispness.

Mouthfeel is superb. Very full, smooth, soft and well rounded.

Drinkability is quite good. This sour packs a lot of punch, complexity, and flavors into a lighter, and almost sessionable ABV level. Well worth trying.

11-24-2010 15:32:28 | More by flexabull
nickd717

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Bomber thanks to largadeer.

Pours hazy reddish dark amber with nice tan bubbly foam sitting on top and decent lacing.

Aroma is nice and -baly with red wine, sweet caramel, pumpkin spice, and oak

Great tart red wine flavor, pumpkin and spice, oak barrel, and funk. Restrained tartness.

Medium-bodied with just the right acidity level and medium body.

Solid offering from Alpine, better than the unintentionally sour batch.

11-24-2010 06:36:40 | More by nickd717
BrlyHpsWtrYst

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a 16oz tulip
A: Pours a hazy reddish brown with a thin slightly off white head

S:Smells a mild tartness, hints of spice and acetobacter. Wild Brett notes fade into pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg. Very inviting aroma

T: WOW, The flavor is so much more intense than the nose suggests. Very pungent, tart, sauvignon blanc brightness... sour apple with some oaky notes. Brett comes through in the finish very well. Spice and pumpkin are in the background but noticeable. Red winesque tannins on tongue on the way out, begging for another sip... I must oblige

M: Lively but not from the carbonation, the sourness tingles on the palate. Tannins dry out the mouth

O: Excellent for the style. Amazing wild ale flavors.

11-24-2010 05:57:18 | More by BrlyHpsWtrYst
largadeer

Thanks, Shane.

Hazy copperish-brown with a small but lasting head. The nose is both spicy and sour. Nutmeg comes through fairly well beneath the fruity sourness, though I don't get any pumpkin. There's a strong vinous character as well, and a sour plum-like fruitiness. It's vinous on the palate, fruity with flavors of plums and red grapes. Spices come through well, and there's a doughy malt backbone. The finish is fruity, mildly sour and spicy. This is a nice easy drinking sour, nothing spectacular but very enjoyable.

11-24-2010 03:58:16 | More by largadeer
billab914

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Pumking chalice. It poured a deep brown color with a lot of orange highlights when held up to the light. It started with a very modest head, but it quickly retreated to the edges of the glass. It left just a bit of lacing on the glass as I drank it as well.

The aroma shows more of the acidic, tart and sour flavors to it then anything else. Behind that though the cinnamon and nutmeg start to come through along with a hint of pumpkin. Very nice American wild aroma to it overall and the spices and pumpkin give it a great twist.

The taste starts off sharp with more of the acidic, tart and sour flavors right up front. As the sharpness fades some of the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove comes through. It has a great sweet tart like flavor to it with some more sourness in the finish. The best part of the flavor though comes about 5 seconds after the swallow where the pumpkin kicks in. It comes back with a nice earthy, gourd like flavor. That really did it for me, excellent flavors overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a bit above average, but pretty moderate for the style. Drinkability is great, it was a fantastic beer. It had some great American wild ale flavors to it, but the pumpkin really put it over the top for me. I loved it. This is definitely a style that needs to be done by more American brewers. Please, someone make something like this I can obtain easier. Sorry Pumking this is the new best pumpkin beer I've ever had, and I even drank it out of your glass.

11-21-2010 02:33:57 | More by billab914
JAXSON

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks Shane for the bottle. Pour a very pretty peachy plum color with a medium white head. Heavy red wine barrel on the nose, a fair dose of brett, wet wood, strawberries, some stone fruit. Very tart in the mouth with a spritzy feel. The sourness here is intense and overwhelms the barrel, which I think is actually a good thing. Cherries and red berries, peaches. The finish is really sour, fairly acidic. I'm kind of comparing this to Cantillon Kriek in its high sourness and acidity, though this is less dry and the wine barrel comes across a bit more. Nice.

11-17-2010 01:19:48 | More by JAXSON