Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,260
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Reviews: 673 | Hads: 2,365

Alpine's line of IPAs are amazing and I probably would give all of them 5.0 ratings.

Pure Hoppiness is my go to DIPA when Nelson is not available. Always consistent and super enjoyable. Everyone I introduce to Alpine I bottle share Pure Hoppiness and they become new fans. (274 characters)

Easily the best IPA I've ever had with the most amazingly fresh hop experience one could hope to have. It puts Randal to shame. This could even go up as one of the best beers of all time. Thanks to PappaMurf for this one.

This beer pours a bright and crystal clear orange copper color with a big frothy head on the pour that was a dim white and stuck around a bit.

Smells of fresh hops. I can't place the strain, but it's perfectly fresh, youthful and vibrant. Wow. There's a nice dry distant pine and a sweet green organic cleanness that's unbeatable. Behind this is a soft powdered sugar an honey.

Tastes of awesome hoppy goodness. Again, the freshness is startling. It just tastes so green and organic, almost like fruit in the sense that the flavor is so present without being subsumed by bitterness. This is blended well into a multi-grain wheat bread and saltine base.

Feels light but sturdy that gently pricks my tongue, but then allows the flavors to melt in. This dissipates into nothing but pure hop oils. Oh man...

This beer is perfect. What more can i say? Way to go Alpine! (1,091 characters)

This is the finest, all-around IPA I've ever tasted. It's fantastic in every regard. The hops and malt blend is absolute perfection. Since Pat does not distribute bottles of this beer anywhere out of the Alpine/El Cajon/Lakeside area (but kegs do find their way to O'Brien's Pub and the Liar's Club), it is well worth driving the 110 miles to El Cajon to buy a few cases.

It tastes of smooth but bold northwest hops, but there is no unbridled bitterness because the malt taste comes through to uphold an unparalleled consistency. Each sip is liquid gold, to match the color of this perfected brew. (600 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Acquired via trade from Phocion, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright orange color with a decent-sized off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma has an excellent burst of grassy hops with a well-blended compliment of citrus sweetness. There’s a good caramelized malt smell in the background as well.

T: The taste is dominated by the wonderfully piney and bitter flavor of hops, but it’s very well-complimented by citrus sweetness and a decent malt character. Overall, it’s a very well-balanced taste as shown in the after-taste which is a good blend of healthy hops bitterness with a little bit of sweetness.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Super tasty, goes down very easily, nice kick to it, only slightly filling, excellent representation of style, I’m happy I started drinking this late in the night because it’s the type of beer that is extremely difficult to follow. I think this is an excellent beer. (1,108 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Received in a trade a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to check it out.

Pours a beautiful gold color with a thin white head into my glass. Looks very promising.

A citrus monster greets the nose with a hint of mint to top it off.

Whoa! The carbonation is so strong that it coats the taste buds with a splash of grapefruit. The malt takes on a buttery sheen and the whole thing explodes in my mouth. Oh yeah.

Lingering grapefruit and buttery malt flavors. Very crisp and chock full of a lasting bitterness.

NICE! I like this DIPA and it's a good example of a beer that will probably never make it to my area. (612 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Quite the incredible beer...is the least I can say.

Pours a clear golden amber with steady beautiful carbonation. Nice creamy white head and sticky lacing down the glass. Smell is of fresh, fresh hops. Grassy, earthy, clean. Citrus comes with orange, pineapple, grapefruit, all of this being moderately light when compared to the earthiness of the beer. Taste is much of the same. It tastes green. Seriously. I don't know how else to describe it and I hope this makes sense. Great citrus hops accentuate and a light malt backbone balances this out somewhat. It's sugary sweet and lightly caramel. Definitely a hop showcase and possibly the finest I've encountered. I'd consider this more of an IPA than DIPA but still, at 8% this is infinitely drinkable. Solid, classic, exceptional, just a great beer all around.

Cheers to seaoflament, one hell of a trader, for this bottle. (877 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Clear dark gold with a slight amber hue. Fluffy off-white head that dissipates to a thin film, leaving patchy lacing.

N- Fresh pine needles and dank hop resins fill the nostrils. Some citrus brightens it up, and toasty grain keeps it balanced.

T- Clean sweet toasty grain dripping with piny hop resins. Juicy citrus quenches the thirst as grassy, herbal hop bitterness balances the rich malt. Hop oils completely coat the mouth and throat, leading to a long piny/grassy/herbal bittersweet finish. Toasty grain, grass, and pine resin in the aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied, sticky, moderate carbonation, with a bittersweet finish.

D- Overall, just an incredible treat. This beer can hold its own with the best of them. Dangerously drinkable and thirst quenching. A staple beer for me, and a must have for anyone who loves hops. (830 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

22oz bottle poued into a Stone tumbler. No freshness date that i know of but damn, its fresh.

A- Pours an attractive golden yellow, hading into orange territory with an off white head that slims down into a thin film atop the beer. Sweet sticky resin lacing all down the glass.

S- Hellacious blast of fresh citrusy hops, mango, melon, pineapple, pine. This is just fucking amazing.

T- The sweet malty flavors hide the resinous hop oils into your mouth then explode as if bursting out of a trojan horse mid palate. The bitterness ensues and after taking a gulp you are left with that oh so delicious fresh bitterness. Amazing.

M- Well carbonated, slick, not too filling, no trve of abv whatsoever.

O- The only DIPA to date that beats Pliny. I hate to say it, but the king has been dethroned. This beer is so fresh, its disgusting. If you have them, drink them now at their best! (883 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

The epitome of what a Double IPA should be. This is my go to DIPA whenever I am in San Diego. The scent is pure hops, very piney, a little citrusy. Taste is also piney, hops hops hops, but man what a balanced beer this is! I can drink this all day long, easily one of the smoothest brews I have ever had. This is what I compare every DIPA I taste to, and I wish I could get it more often up here in LA. Fortunately, I head down to SD on a weekly basis, and enjoy this frequently at O'Brien's and the Liar's Club. I preach the gospel of this brew to every hophead I meet, and dub this a "must try" if it ever crosses your path. (626 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Refulgent tangerine-amber with abundant fine particles that might as well be hop dust. The rich, creamy, yet stiffsticky head falls at the margins, leaving a crowned dollop of milkshake-like foam in the center of the glass. Intricate lace in near contiguous sheets is clinging for all it's worth to all available surfaces. Beautiful.

Stupendous, incandescent, hoptastic nose of sweet citrus peel and pine. I'd love to know what was used to dry hop this nectar. That particular hop variety would instantly shoot to the top of my most-favored list, if it's not there already. Pure Hoppiness's nose instantly and irrevocably takes a spot in my top-3 DIPA aromas of all-time.

Mind-bending hop flavor on the palate. If malt wasn't quite as much of a presence, this would more properly be classified as an IPA. That is precisely why I prefer IPAs, not so much of that pesky malt to get in the way. In this case it provides a sweetness that attempts to hold the hops in check and just barely succeeds (dammit!). Having said that, this is one DIPA that is weighted much more heavily to the hoppy side of things.

Pure Hoppiness isn't Ruination, but it is a tongue-scalding hop bomb, make no mistake. The bitter grapefruit pith covered in a candied conifer coating is having a rave in my mouth that I hope will never end. This stuff shamelessly zeros in on my beer id, digs in its claws and holds on for dear life. You want nuance and complexity? Go drink a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, just leave this hop tart for us heathens.

The body, needless to say, is big, smooth as silk and as creamy as a non-stout can get; the perfect vehicle for carrying that abundant hoppiness across the palate and keeping it there until reinforcements come with the next sip.

What else can I possibly say? Pure Hoppiness is pure deliciousness. I'm heartened by the fact that I have one more bottle, but depressed that I don't have easy access to this mother's milk of a beer. Alpine's PH is yet another reason to curse the two most vile words in a BA's vocabulary: limited distribution. (2,071 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

From brewery. Great intial hoppy taste with sweet malty and bready backbone. The only problem is that it tastes alittle flat but it goes down really crisp. It's hard to explain, its a beer to dream about

A lot better on tap than in bottle (239 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Ah yes, fill up your senses with this brew. I often get this in the bottle but found it on top at the San Diego Brewing Company and it really shines on draft. A creamier brew than you expect from an IPA. Nice foamy head that never dies down, producing a long, smooth mouthfeel. Aggressive hoppiness but not to the point where it is just a way to show how macho you are. Bravo, bravo, bravo. (390 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

On tap at O'Brien's. Served in a pint glass filled to the brim with no head. Poured a very nice looking clear orange, lots of carbonation see throughout. The smell was very citrusy, as was the taste, with a great hop bouquet but not much bitterness came through. The sweet malt (very evident but not overwhelming) was really able to overshadow a lot of hoppy bitterness, which actually made the mouthfeel almost syrupy. On the verge of syrupy, but just below that. Somewhat viscous but overall lighter than a lot of the DIPA's now days, which doesn't make it so hard to get down. A very flavorful DIPA that doesn't kill you or feel like maple syrup in your mouth.

___

Grolwer filled one 3/1/08, consumed on 3/18/08.

Tasted super fresh. My electrical taping of the screw top worked amazingly. This beer oozes with resiny hops... pine, some citrus, just super fresh tasting and smelling. This is an IPA that contains quite a bit of bitterness in it, but that's great to me. Just a super IPA, the freshest I've had. Can't believe how well it held up in the growler over a 2 1/2 week period.

I'm bumping the smell and taste up from a 4.5 each to a 5 each. I love this beer. (1,173 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Thanks to alexd3891 for this beer in our bet on the NLCS, Go Phillies!

Drinking and reviewing this for my one year birthday here on Beeradvocate...

A: Poured a nice golden, off-white head.

S: Smells of pine needles dipped in grapefruit juice! There is also a sweet tropical flavor in there as well. Backing this all up seems to be a bready backbone. This smells fantastic!

T: Just like it smells, pine needles and grapefruits, with also a hint of possibly pineapple or some other tropical fruit. There is also a malty backbone consisting of a sweet bready flavor, but make no mistake, this is an incredible hop assault! This beer is bitter and that's just how I like 'em! The flavor that stays in the mouth post-swallow is a delicious pine flavor.

M: The tiny little bubbles tingle perfectly in the mouth and on the way down. This beer has perfect carbonation for the style, a medium body, and a good amount of hop residue left on the tongue.

D: This is exactly what I look for in a beer, and this makes me consider moving to San Diego county... (1,051 characters)

From notes:

Pours a clear golden orange/amber color with a thick 2.5 finger frothy, pillowy white head. Very good retention with large rings and chunks of soapy lacing left behind.

Floral hop aroma with lots of citrus and tropical fruit notes as well as some earthy pine and subtle malt. Hints of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, lemon and orange peel. Slight biscuit presence.

Chewy full body with a uber fresh resinous hop blast up front that has all o the earthy and sweet flavors that the aroma suggests. Again, I'm picking up mango, pineapple, grapefruit and citrus sweetness which is countered by a slightly bitter, dry pine needle presence. This is excellently balanced by a pale malt backbone with hints of biscuit and graham cracker. The ABV is very well masked making this beer dangerously drinkable. Each sip leaves me salivating for more. I was drinking this bomber way too fast and had to stop myself for pounding the whole thing down.

This is one of the best beers I've ever had of any style. I enjoy it much more than all of the other Alpine IPAs I've had so far including Exponential Hoppiness. Highly recommended! (1,132 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

A bomber purchased from The Best Damn Bottle Shop in San Diego. Pulled from the back from their latest deliver. Served in a pint glass one day after purchase.

For the hop head, as perfect a beer as you could get. The color is golden with a touch of red. The head starts out plentiful and fades to a wispy film. Retention is fair, but lace is sticky and copious. A moderate amount of tiny carbonation bubbles. Aroma is a wonderful balance of grapefruit and caramel with the citrus taking a slight edge. Soft to medium soft mouthfeel and medium body. Flavor is a lot like the aroma, but more emphasis on the hops. Not overly sweet like many DIPAs, but on the dry side. Mild and long bitter finish. Spectacular. (709 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Hard to find these bottles: I picked up this 22oz bomber from the Alpine Brewing Company along with a growler of the Pure Hoppiness so I could have my PH now AND later.

Compared to the cask and fresh from the tap, this beer from the bottle is still excellent but clearly loses some of its luster. The appearance is the same. The smell is nice and hoppy but certainly way less intense. The hop flavor is pretty well preserved. Not quite as mouth puckering, but still tons of grapefruit. Malt flavor also seems a touch less intense. Same mouthfeel and subtle alcohol. Even in this diminished state, this is the best IPA/DIPA from a bottle.

===
1/20/09 another bottle that had aged in my closet (58-72F) for 2.5 years at least. Tasted in my Unibroue goblet. Very foamy, almost too much. great lace. This time I get a huge lychee scent next to the now-subdued pine cone and grapefruit, which come later. Extreme juiciness is still in effect, making my mouth water big time. Crisp with a solid bitterness that really goes along with the lychee, citrus, and then the biscuit backbone. Finishes with a great balance between the syrupy malt and the bitter hops. Wonderful. Alcohol still imperceptible.

Overall: This hop juice is amazing. This has bitterness, but if you can take the bitterness of any APA, you can dig this beer. (1,324 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%

I drove up to Beverages 4 Less in Santee the other day and picked up a gaggle of beers, this being one of them. I have had many Alpine beers in my day, however this beer was one that I had not tried. Wow I'm glad I tried it. Although not quite as impressive as its cousin Nelson from New Zealand, it's definitely a Top 100 beer IMO.

A - Not a lot of head with this one although there's still a fair amount of carbonation.

S - WOW! I smell grapefruit, orange, lemon - it's surprisingly refreshing!

T - Now this is what I'm talking about. An in your face west coast, San Diego, double IPA...there's no hiding the amount of hops they threw into this beer and yet it's not unbalanced at all.

M - Perfectly carbonated - this is how all beers should feel in a mouth!

D - In a perfect world I'd drink this beer at least once a week!! (831 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Many thanks to Marcel for the bottle!

Pours a clean amber-orange color with a froth, stable white head.

Unleashes fantastic aromas of piney, lime infused grass with lots of intriguing dankness, hints of herbs and peach pulp. So much going on, fresh weed is paired with kiwi, lemon peel and juicy orange cream. Reveals tangerine, coated up with resinous wet grass. Fantastic nose, located between a great fruitiness and pine.

Drinks outstandingly smooth, while it begins with piney, zingy lemon, accompanied by bready, balancing malts. The malts though, while they blend very well into the dankness, play nothing but a supportive role, handling the fruity, bitter hop madness. Also invites a honeyed fruit note to the palate, containing kiwi, unripe orange and water melon, which perform outstandingly well together with the grassy pine. Finishes slighty dry, outstandingly bitter, with lots of dank citrus and water melon, punchlined by a floral honey note. Awesome beer, incredibly full of subtle hop flavors, while drinking extremely smooth and easy, with a unique, full taste. Blown away. (1,095 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for sending me this bottle as an extra.

Pours a light orange color with a white head. The first thing that hits you in the aroma is hops, with tons of pine and citrus in the nose. The flavor has a good amount of bitterness, but the hop flavor is outstanding. Tons of orange citrus with a little pine and grapefruit. This is one complex hop bomb. Medium carbonation and medium body. Very drinkable and I wish this available in Texas. (452 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Translucent golden-amber color with a nice bubbly and frothy eggshell colored head with very nice retention and lacing.

Nice floral noted immediately as the bottle is cracked. With my nose is the glass there is an abundance of very nice citrus, floral and sweet pine notes.

Flavor is excellent as well with nice balance. Hop forward with very nice floral and citrus hop notes. Then there is a slight yet nice transition into it's nicely balanced malt character and then back to a sweet pineapple-like citrus aftertaste.

Light bodied, crisp and very fresh mouthfeel with high carbonation.

This is an exceptional DIPA. Very well balanced and very nice character. Another DIPA that's far better than PtE. High drinkability as well. (736 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to magget for sharing this brew. Served chilled, into a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce brown bottle. Poured out a beautiful golden copper color that was a bit hazy. A good inch and a half of pillowy, thick, bright white head formed, and faded rather slowly. Left generous amounts of thick lace behind on the glass. The nose on this beer was incredible. Strong floral hop aromas, tons of thick sweet malt, loads of semi sour grapefruit, lemon zest, and some brewers yeast. Awesome. The taste of this beer was quite exceptional as well. Hops, sweet balancing malt flavors, grapefruit, pineapple, orange peel, and more hops. A little bit of pine and yeast make themselves present in the smooth finish. No noticeable alcohol in this one, and plenty of prickly carbonation. Awsome medium to full bodied mouthfeel here. Just thick enough to coat the palate nicely. Great drinkability. Hands down my favorite IPA. (918 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up in Alpine after a road trip to Julian. . .
Poured 750ml into a Duvel tulip glass
A- Pours a clear yellow/orange hue, head is 3-fingers' of white, smooth, cream that dissipates down to a thin layer, super sticky lacing all over the glass
S- Nose is a major hop wallop on the olfactories, mostly pine with a hint of orange/citrus, alcohol presence is stiff, so delicious
T- No surprise that the taste is dominated by big, bold pine hops backed by more subtle citrus, some sweet malts balance out the bitter hops midway through leading to a mildly bitter finish with alcohol warming, what a great example of a well-balanced DIPA that isn't overwhelming
M- Medium/full-bodied beer, oily and resinous texture coats the mouth, lively level of carbonation
D- This is a heavy-hitting hoppy DIPA that packs a punch in a good way, definitely not for those faint of hops, the alcohol is warming and would be an issue for drinking large quantities, a standout DIPA even for us West Coasters, my only complaint is that Alpine beers are not well distributed even in SD, be sure to try this out if you're looking for a hop adventure
Buy Again? Absolutely
|Personal score- 93/100 (1,173 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Got a bottle of this at the tiny brewpub almost a month ago.

Pours a hazy, glowing light orange - lots of chill haze or hop sediment? Not sure. The rocky ivory head dissipates rather quickly to a chunky ring. Aromatic, perfumey, citrusy hops fill the nose. High bitterness upfront in the taste with massive grapefruit, apricot, pine hop flavors. The bitterness builds and batters the light bready malt profile. Alcohol very well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation and complete and total hop cotton mouth. Lots of resiny bitterness coats my mouth and makes for an incredibly long, bitter, hoppy finish.

This is a standout DIPA. Very heavy on the hops with all sorts of concentrated West Coast hop flavors. This brewery knows IPAs like no other. Seek this out and if you ever have the chance, visit the place in Alpine. (846 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a very clear light yellow with slight amber. Amazingggg white head that stays thick the whole way down.

Smell is piney with slight mandrian.

The taste is very bitter and dry but still has some depth to it. Bitter pine while the brew is cold but as it warms up it starts to leave a more citrus mandrian in the aftertaste.

Yet ANOTHER amazing Alpine IPA! (362 characters)

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company