2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,687 | Reviews: 639 | Show All Ratings:
ramnuts

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

A generous and fresh gift from Arbitrator. Thanks once again, Arbi!

Served in a pint glass, it pours a very frothy head with incredible lacing evenly dispersed. Somewhat opaque, not cloudy and more orange than the largely brownish DIPAs I've enjoyed recently.

Wafts of tangy citrus fruits abound..grapefruit, orange, lemon zest - an aromatic and great smelling beer.

Well balanced, a bit grassy, not a huge malt presence. Sweet caramel comes through but in a subdued fashion. Tropical fruits and a clean finish. Just the correct amount of carbonation. I pick up some pine but it is not sticky or resiny overall.

How do they get it this clear appearing as an unfiltered beer?

I've never experienced an DIPA that comes off the palette as clean as this one.

Scary session-like for a big boy. No heat at all; you would never guess it packs such a large ABV.

Much love for yet another Alpine product. I can see why they are in such huge demand. I would buy this again and again if available locally.

08-06-2010 00:00:54 | More by ramnuts
mechamifune

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a tulip with a very light white head, carbonation evident in a nice, clean-looking slight-orange color.

Smell is of tropical fruits and pure hops, all the way through. Taste is, well, like it smells...hoppy, resiny (though sig less than expo hop), fruity, and all together pleasant. Malt is very subdued, but gives you a little notice.

Mouthfeel is smooth... not particularly crisp or creamy, just smooth with that hop bite always lingering. Drinkability is very good for the abv.... reminded me a lot of PtE in that sense (actually a lot about this beer reminded me of PtE).

Had this in same session with expo hop, nelson, and duet... and while they are all great, i'd probably pick this if I had to pick one...but I get the feeling that opinion would probably vary week to week for me.

09-19-2010 01:26:38 | More by mechamifune
sitarist

Thanks to thedindaniel.

Pours a cloudy tangerine color...lose head that falls to a ring leaving rings of lacing.

I sell loads of citrus(orange peel, grapefruit, lemon), and tropical fruits...It is candy like, lemon-heads maybe? It tickles my nose, and is begging me to take a sip.

That sip becomes a gulp...It is resinous with orange peel, tropical fruits, pepper, and candy...Its all about the hops...More like an IPA! IMO

Smooth and creamy...just a little light for the style...a little bite from the hops, with light carbonation...the flavors slide across my tongue.

I could drink this everyday...another great hop-bomb from the west-side! This beer will remain on my wants list.

11-22-2010 02:59:05 | More by sitarist
rtaps

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

this was a murky golden with a small white head, decent retention leaving spotty lacing behind.

very nice aroma, very strong could smell it right as a poured it into the glass. citrus hops and tropical fruits (pineapple) and nice pine notes to it

great tastes as well. citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple and pine all blended well. very nice hoppyness but not super over powering.

medium carbonation light bodied, smooth and easy to drink. leaves the mouth watery

overall, this is a pretty great IPA very enjoyable. the nose was great and the taste made me not want to put the glass down

01-19-2012 22:12:58 | More by rtaps
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a pretty clear copper hue with a wonderful two finger head that takes a good while to die down. Stickiness holds on to the glass all over, I may be scrubbing the sides to clean this one. Smell is a sweet, hypnotizing citrus (mostly grapefruit) with a tiny hint of caramel in the nose. Taste is one of a kind. Creamy, buttery, pine hop flavor...this is a flavor I find difficult to describe. Aftertaste is a spicey, dry hop flavor with a sweet orange tingle. Mouthfeel is perfect, fairly light bodied with the right amount of carbonation. For a DIPA, this baby goes down so smooth. Probably one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had to date, pick up this treat for sure.

08-15-2007 00:37:50 | More by BeerTruth
0110x011

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap at Pizza Port San Clemente.

A - Coppery gold color & crystal clear. Thin head fades quickly, leaving a thin collar. Spotty lacing.

S - Pure SoCal IPA. Lemon, grapefruit & pine from the huge hop bouquet. A dash of biscuit & caramel.

T - As big on the hops as expected, with a light sweetness providing just enough balance to prevent the major bitter kick from being too overwhelming. Hop city.

M - medium body, with a fluffy effervescence that keeps it dry.

D - The bitterness is kickin, but any hophead will keep wanting more.

One of the best DIPAs out there, and a new personal favorite.

12-27-2008 23:05:13 | More by 0110x011
MrTopher

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance - Beautiful golden amber color with a little head, nothing overwhelming.

Smell - Crisp sent of pine, citrus with a little floral tone.

Taste - I had been warned it was a hop explosion and I wasn't disappointed, it tasted just as explained. The traditional taste of "West Coast IPA" comes out of this brew, flavors of pine and hops cover the mouth and it balances so well through the entire experience. And the hops balance exceptionally well with the malts, but the malts compliment the hops and don't take away anything.

Mouthfeel - Was nothing that I expected, it was more thick feeling than any other DIPA I'd had before, but was extremely satisfying.

Drinkability - In my top 5 of DIPA, this could be a weekly consumption. Not disappointing to any degree, worth the trip if you can pay the fare and handle the smoothness. This beer sucked me into Alpine as a new love.

11-09-2009 22:50:54 | More by MrTopher
GbVDave

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to errantnight for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a perfectly hazy bright gold capped off by a thin yet very creamy slightly off-white colored head. It's only about one finger thick but it leaves a healthy coating of lace all the way down the glass.

S: Very floral hop aroma along with smells of honey, caramel, pine, apricot, spiced peach, and pressed wild flowers.

T: Same as above with the main difference being a lessening of honey flavors but a lot more pine. Also, the herbal/floral hop presence is stepped up and compliments the slightly sweet orchard fruit aspects of this.

M: This has got to be one of the best "feeling" DIPAs on the market. There is so much harmony between the bitter, sweet, dry, and sticky...we were astounded! Finish is long and bitter and dry-just the right thing to cap off a wonderful bottle of beer.

D: What can we say but, wow. We were utterly humbled in the presence of this beer. This beer deserves all the hype.

11-15-2009 18:25:05 | More by GbVDave
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Fresh bottle from my first South Bay Drugs order.

Orange-amber pour (I need to come up with better colors for DIPAs) with a little over a finger of dense, sticky white foam. Great lacing.

Well, I know this is going to be a pretty hoppy beer, because I can smell citric and piney hops as soon as I pop the cap. Hard to imagine a DIPA smelling any better. Loads and loads of citrus rind, with lesser quantities of pine/resin. This is my third IPA/DIPA from Alpine, and, so far, I have to say their hop-forward beers smell better across the board than anyone else's.

And, let's be honest, they have better flavor, too. Duet and Nelson were absolutely delicious, and Pure Hoppiness is, too. There is a malty sweetness to the flavor, which perfectly balances (but doesn't diminish) the grapefruit/orange hop flavor. Really, really good bitterness in the finish. Just enough to remind you that you're drinking a really hoppy beer. Certainly not overdone. Apparently Alpine has perfected IPA/DIPA balance without losing any hop flavor.

Despite not having a ton of malt flavor, we've got plenty of heft. I prefer IPAs to DIPAs in just about every way, but texture isn't one of them. Pure Hoppiness is a perfect example. Big body, slick and oily yet plush and creamy at the same time. Carbonation is absolutely perfect.

Didn't detect any of the advertised 8% ABV. But, that's likely because the glass was empty before I had a chance to. Pure Hoppiness is as drinkable of a DIPA as I've ever tasted. I'm convinced that Alpine can do no wrong. Next stop: Exponential Hoppiness.

05-14-2010 23:41:41 | More by Gyle41386
gregshead

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Pours w a nice finger of head. Head dissipates but leaves a nice ring of lacing on top.

S: Lots of grapefruit maybe a little orange citrus as well.

T: Lots of grapefruit hops bite but backed by a nice large dose of biscuity malt backbone

M: Good carbonation and a nice light feel especially for a DIPA.

D: Wow. So easy to drink. The best balanced DIPA to date for me.

12-29-2010 01:51:45 | More by gregshead
bs870621345

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this in my fridge for about 3 weeks before getting to it. Was assured it was fresh by the guy at the store.

Pours a beautiful orange amber color with an inch of white head. Fades slightly to leaving nice lacing down the glass. Perfectly see through.

Smell is of pine and citrus. Caramel and bread makes a slight appearance, nothing major and not overly balanced.

Taste bursts with hop flavor and not as much bitterness. Huge citrus, pine, herbal flavors smack you in the face and the caramel comes in the middle to sweeten it up. Finishes with a pine flavor that lingers in the best way possible.

Mouthfeel is full, very filling indeed.

Drinkability is good, extremely inviting but could see it getting old. The pine after taste is excellent.

03-09-2011 00:30:50 | More by bs870621345
HipHop5

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a fresh bomber.
Creamy 2 finger head that literally sticks around for few moments.
Moderate lacing after all.
Surprising after tasting the medium to light body. Citrus Orange Pineapple caramel aromas. Pretty amazing floral and sweet on the nose.
A fruity cotton candy smell and taste exude from the last sips that warmed up in my LA FIN DU MONDE sniffer.
Sweet but not over the top. Pine bitterness lingers in in the back to balanced with this unconventional west coast IIPA Hop profile.
I love to try an original new DIIPA that brings hop satisfaction and Caramel Malty characters.
I have a sweet tooth anyway, but this is perfect to end a great meal. Maybe for less spicy asian food or just by itself:)
Difficult to notice trace of 8% abv. After been blown away by the Nelson, this an reminder of the creative craftsmanship at Alpine CA.
Pick any time you find on the shelf. A must.
Enjoy.

03-15-2011 03:21:26 | More by HipHop5
axeman9182

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz bottle thanks to Socalbeerlover. This one was poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Alpine Pure Hoppiness pours somewhere between tangerine and orange, with just a little bit of haze to it. There's about a finger of white foam serving as a head. Head retention is not bad, but lacing is fairly spotty. The nose is a complete hop bomb. It's a citrus-tropical overload, with pineapple and grapefruit shining through in particular. Orange and mango show up as well. There's just a barely there flash of sweetness at the start, before a loud, yet pleasant bitter bite briefly take over. The last flavor to come is a spot on recreation of that incredible hop bouquet from the nose. The body is nice and light, but with a certain creaminess to it that you don't always find in IPAs. The carbonation is fairly bubbly, adding a liveliness to the beer and the hops in particular. This is right up there with Nelson for inclusion in my top 5 IPA/IIPas, and cements Alpine as one of, if not the best breweries when it comes to hoppy beers.

10-20-2011 07:07:04 | More by axeman9182
PatandDavid

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This is damn good. Fellow BA Xlperro gave us a bottle this past friday, and really, it wasn't like I wanted this one to sit around. I shared the bomber with David of course, and we each got plenty of good beer. Color when poured was tangerine, very slight haze. Since I controlled the pour, we each got a lovely 1/2 inch of thick chewy foam. I am about 2/3's done, and still am rewarded with faint lace throughout the glass. There's a lot going on with the aroma...initial whiffs reveal some grassy hops, also some woody ones. A deeper whiff reveals frankly what one gets when they stick their nose in a bag of fresh hops...very nice. Tastewise, one is rewarded with solid medium mouthfeel, low carbonation, and hops upon hops. The hops have a bit of bitterness in the finish, but I find the beer pretty balanced (there's malt in there somewhere). I have to give this beer high marks for drinkability, because not only would I like another, I can't tell this beer is 8% at all...thanks!

11-11-2004 02:53:49 | More by PatandDavid
sloejams

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

edit: just realized the beer at the Strong Ale Fest was Anniversary Pure Hoppiness - so that is the beer reviewed here:

This is one of the highlights from the San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

The hop nose hits you instantly: very floral, slight pine and citrus tones. The pour was perfect: a frothy laced head topped the golden colored ale. The hop bite is substantial, but the taste is well-balanced. It has a nice creaminess that masks the 8% ABV, making it potential dangerous – I could see myself drinking this all day.

I need to find a vendor where I can load up on some of these bottles or make a trip to the brewery myself.

12-05-2005 17:51:16 | More by sloejams
younger35

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Got this bad boy sometime back from the one and only BeerTruth. I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about this brew and I’m super excited to try it. This will be my first brew from Alpine Beer company. Drank form my Squatters Pub Brewery nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful yellow with hints of orange and a mega three plus finger creamy bright white head. Leaves a massive cap and collar with tons of huge splotches of sticky lacing.
Smell- Loads of soft floral hops that are both subtle and vibrant. Soft floral lilac and orange blossom give this a super fresh, clean nose. Some undertones of pine and fresh grass. I can’t get over how clean the nose is.
Taste- Huge grapefruit and tangerine citrus start the tongue numbing bitterness. Lemon and lots of piney goodness slowly meld to join a very soft caramel undertone. Buttery and sweet at the end before the bitterness comes back and leaves a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Absolutely no alcohol to be found, I actually think this is NA.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a nice medium body and pretty aggressive carbonation. I wish it was toned down just a hair.
Drinkability- This is one of those beers that you start drinking and before you know it, you got a buzz and the beer’s disappeared. This is probably the first DIPA that I’ve had that I’m glad it’s not “balanced”. I’m not a huge hop head (although I do enjoy a great DIPA every-so-often) but this one is different. The balance and types of whatever hops they used are just magnificent. This is a great beer and huge thanks to BeerTruth.

11-21-2007 04:19:16 | More by younger35
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This one pours a glorious clear golden, with a orange hue into my SA/BA glass. Tiny white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of fresh stinky, lovely nuggets of hops, and it's cousin. Surprised on how clear this beer appears. Like a great DIPA, this one continues to change flavor gears. Starts out sweet piney hop hop then goes to a dense floral hop hop ending with a zesty finish. Very well made DIPA.

Tasted again on 10.01.08
Hazy orange pour with a nice 2 fingers of near-white head. Huge aromas of lemon zest, pink grapefruit, kiwi...somewhat unique for DIPAs that I have tasted. Deceptively hoppy. Just when I think the hop flavor is done, it continues. Real delicate, fragrant hop taste. Light in the body. Extremely drinkable.

10-01-2008 20:20:19 | More by RustyDiamond
ckeegan04

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Golden brown/orange with lovely carbonation bubbles rising quickly to the top. One finger foamy head with light lacing and decent retention.

S - Big citrusy hop aroma. Notes of grapefruit and a little tangerine. Also some light piney notes underneath. Great smell. The lightest hint of a biscuity sweetness.

T - Big juicy hoppiness. Lots of citrus, primarily grapefruit. There is an underlying bready sweetness that provides very good balance without bringing too much malt to the front. The pine also provides an excellent combo.

M/D - Medium bodied and a surprisingly creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is at an excellent level. Ridiculously drinkable.

04-07-2009 19:00:58 | More by ckeegan04
jamex

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

S - An amazing bouquet of pine, citrus, hops, pineapple and everything you would expect from a wonderful WC DIPA.

T - Similar to smell, with an added burst of 'rusty' hops. An absolutely brilliant beer with a very clean finish. Almost Pliny worthy, but not quite. However, leaves me wanting another (I'll call this the "pliny effect.")

Notes: This is my second Alpine beer. My only other was a Mandarin Nectar which I found incredibly refreshing after a day at the beach. When I purchased this beer I also bought a Duet and Nelson - reviews to come.

Edit: I just had this beer again (2/18/11) and it is friggin' amazing.

08-20-2010 02:35:35 | More by jamex
peacebone116

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a growler of this brew from the brewery on 8/15/11. Enjoyed from a pint glass on 8/21.

A: Cloudy orange with a creamy white head that stuck around throughout our entire session.

N: Tropical notes abound! Tantalizing notes of fresh apricot, pineapple, peach, & pine tickle my nose and encourage me to take a sip!

T/M: Creamy and smooth, slightly oil tangerine and peach flavors fill my mouth and coat my tongue. This invokes a lot of tropical flavors with a nice piney, bitterness in the end. The drinkability on this beer is incredible, as there is no evidence of the 8%abv this clocks in at.

Although I think the carbonation suffered a little from the growler format, I really enjoy this beer, and it definitely ranks highly for me in terms of worlds' greatest Imperial IPA. It has a wonderfully rich nose and the flavors follow suit. It is smooth with a light body that allows this to be a perfectly refreshing IPA regardless of how hot it is outside. Now, if only I could get a keg of it in San Jose....

Serving type: growler

08-22-2011 22:53:46 | More by peacebone116
DCRA

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Love this beer, consistently great.

Probably my 3rd favorite beer from Alpine which says a lot about Alpine. The taste is so fresh and hoppy with citrus and pine blast.

It has great balance and the alcohol is hidden very well. Everything you could ask from a DIPA and more. The appearance is orange and the sight and smell alone make this very inviting.

Thank you Alpine.

06-13-2012 00:45:08 | More by DCRA
drseamus

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Served on tap at the Toronado. This is a great beer all around. No review that does this beer justice could start any other way.

The body is a crystal clear amber with just the thinest of white heads. It could have been the pour, but I like some head on my beer and this was really only a thin lacing on the surface.

The aroma is bursting at the seams with sweet sticky grapefruit. This is pretty much textbook DIPA aroma. These aromas make me want to drink immediately.

The flavor is a perfect 10. It is incredibly smooth and blasting open with grapefruit but with the bitterness held beautifully in check. Nearly all the hops must have been added right at the end of the boil. Behind the grapefruit is a great malt flavor which brings images of barley to mind due to it's crispness.

As I said above, this is a great beer and MUST be tried if you get the chance. I am now treasuring the bottle sitting on my shelf at home.

10-19-2007 03:16:28 | More by drseamus
HoustonTX

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Amazingly beautiful pour, tons of viscous carbonation fighting to breath. Tone amber/yellow body.

Huge herbacous tones in the nose. One of the finest smelling IPA's I've experienced. Ultra fresh, and incredibly dank, with a very nice mix of exotic fruits as well. Pineapples, grapefruit, green apple, and light oranges. Deep intoxicating fresh florals, and ripe piney underlays - while remaining sweet and succulent. Delicious and utterly unique.

Taste is juicy and extremely well balanced. Amazing smoothness and complexity on the whole flavor scheme. Solid lightly caramel malt base, with the perfect backing of hops. Not overly citric, or overly piney.... Just complex. This is an orgasm to the mouth. Simply amazing.

An insanely delicious, meticulously crafted IPA. Very well done, and highly recommended.

Thanks much to Ryan for this one.

01-22-2008 05:04:48 | More by HoustonTX
treyrab

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Big thanks to goodspeed94 for sending this one out my way. Split it with jac5084. Poured into two tulip glasses...

A: Pours a crystal clear glowing yellow copper with a solid one finger head. Some carbonation creeping slowly up the sides. I can tell this one is going to be sticky and thicker.

S: Fantastic scents of pineapple, candied orange, and grapefruit with a touch of grass. Nice pine scents as well with some sweet caramel on the end.

T: Very nice, thick and sticky with candied orange peel, pineapple, lemon and sweet caramel. Some darker caramel and maybe toffee makes its way in on the end.

Overall, a very enjoyable IPA. I'm sure it is better on tap, but the bottle was enjoyable.

___

Re reviewed on 12/19/2010 based on a super fresh batch sent by Scott. Thanks man! The review is based off of this. This batch is extremely hazy, almost like an orange juice. The smell and taste are insane. Tons, and tons of citrus orange and grapefruit. The taste is extremely sticky with citrus fruits and very full bodied.

The first two times I had this beer I was not impressed. This time I am blown away!

05-05-2009 02:21:38 | More by treyrab
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Another hook up from augustgarage. Thanks!!!

22oz into Chouffe tulip.

A- A shimmering, amazing, vibrant goldenrod beer, with a creamy head that laces and settles to a half-finger of snowy goodness. Really impressive pour.

S- Nose is grassy, lemony, soapy? No, not soapy.. but floral and light. Lemons and limes. Hmm.

T- Hoppy! Grapefruit wallop. Mild pine, some tangerine. Very good. A really tasty DIPA. Not overdone, not a hop grenade... extremely refined and hits all the right notes, with no ill-conceived elements. I'm impressed. Most DIPAs are hopped with little regard to how they interact. This one was masterfully crafted.

M- Awesome. Perfect amount of malt.. not enough to cross over and interfere with the hops... truly pure hoppiness. I've never had a cleaner presentation of hops in a DIPA. Seriously.

D- Insane. Keep 'em coming.. I could drink a growler of this, a case of this, a keg of this and ask for more. Unreal... damn you, Cali DIPAs... damn you! You're so tasty!

12-22-2009 23:33:20 | More by ShogoKawada