Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,258
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Reviews: 672 | Hads: 2,344
3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

At long last I finally found some Alpine (although it required a trip to SD. Whatever).

A: A light yellowish orange, and totally clear. A bit odd for an IIPA. Nice thick white heat though, two fingers but leaves a 2-3 cm fluffy film with lots of bubbles coming up. This looks really carbonated.

S: Very full hop boquet, but not one style really sticks out. I smell a lot of floral, some grass, and of course some citrus. Don't really note any pine. There's a bit of citrus sweetness but it might just be the hops.

T: Hop dominant and really little to no malt balance. I don't note much sweetness if any at all. Even the hop blast is a bit more subdued than I expected. Grass dominant with a bit of citrus.

MF: High carbonation which I think saves the beer a little bit. Great full mouthfeel with plenty of crispness. For 8% alcohol, it doesn't really hit that hard.

D: I'm not entirely sure this is a DIPA to me, it really has more IPA characters. I love a hop dominant IPA, but you need something to balance it out and this doesn't really have it. The hop flavor is good, but it doesn't pack quite the punch of others either. This rates right up there with some of the really good IPA's out there, but doesn't really do it for me if I'm rating it as a DIPA. (1,264 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

I've heard this brewery can be mean to interlopers (don't worry, I don't want to slap anyone), but they brew some fine beer.

Pours a surprisingly light orange with gold overtones. Surprising color for a DIPA. Can't recall any quite this hue. Two or three inches of long lasting foam, nice bubbling. This is a superbly carbonated beer. Smells more grapefruit than pine.

Great flavor. Not the most balanced DIPA, as there isn't much of a malt or tropical/sweet fruit background to intrude. Thankfully, though, they've somehow managed to tone the hop content down just enough with carbonation, or perhaps by blending several different hops, to keep this beer really drinkable. It's not raw, is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Very good beer, I'll keep an eye out for it from now on. (783 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Amazingly beautiful pour, tons of viscous carbonation fighting to breath. Tone amber/yellow body.

Huge herbacous tones in the nose. One of the finest smelling IPA's I've experienced. Ultra fresh, and incredibly dank, with a very nice mix of exotic fruits as well. Pineapples, grapefruit, green apple, and light oranges. Deep intoxicating fresh florals, and ripe piney underlays - while remaining sweet and succulent. Delicious and utterly unique.

Taste is juicy and extremely well balanced. Amazing smoothness and complexity on the whole flavor scheme. Solid lightly caramel malt base, with the perfect backing of hops. Not overly citric, or overly piney.... Just complex. This is an orgasm to the mouth. Simply amazing.

An insanely delicious, meticulously crafted IPA. Very well done, and highly recommended.

Thanks much to Ryan for this one. (847 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-yellow body with a thin, bubbly white head.

Smell: Vague, faint maltiness allows to shine the pleasant, distinctive hop aroma of jam-packed with ripe citrus fruits and, to a lesser degree, pine. Sure you can find all of those components in any other IPA, but for some reason, Alpine beers are always a joy to smell.

Taste: Mild cereal grain flavor and sweetness. Strong citrus hoppiness with tastes of grapefruit and tangerines - maybe even a bit of sliced papaya. Some resinous pine. Medium bitterness and acidity. Dry finish with a pinch of black pepper.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation. Slightly oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A fine beer that's not overly bitter, has a very tasty hop profile, and drinks very easily considering the ABV. (794 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to magget for sharing this brew. Served chilled, into a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce brown bottle. Poured out a beautiful golden copper color that was a bit hazy. A good inch and a half of pillowy, thick, bright white head formed, and faded rather slowly. Left generous amounts of thick lace behind on the glass. The nose on this beer was incredible. Strong floral hop aromas, tons of thick sweet malt, loads of semi sour grapefruit, lemon zest, and some brewers yeast. Awesome. The taste of this beer was quite exceptional as well. Hops, sweet balancing malt flavors, grapefruit, pineapple, orange peel, and more hops. A little bit of pine and yeast make themselves present in the smooth finish. No noticeable alcohol in this one, and plenty of prickly carbonation. Awsome medium to full bodied mouthfeel here. Just thick enough to coat the palate nicely. Great drinkability. Hands down my favorite IPA. (918 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Quite the incredible beer...is the least I can say.

Pours a clear golden amber with steady beautiful carbonation. Nice creamy white head and sticky lacing down the glass. Smell is of fresh, fresh hops. Grassy, earthy, clean. Citrus comes with orange, pineapple, grapefruit, all of this being moderately light when compared to the earthiness of the beer. Taste is much of the same. It tastes green. Seriously. I don't know how else to describe it and I hope this makes sense. Great citrus hops accentuate and a light malt backbone balances this out somewhat. It's sugary sweet and lightly caramel. Definitely a hop showcase and possibly the finest I've encountered. I'd consider this more of an IPA than DIPA but still, at 8% this is infinitely drinkable. Solid, classic, exceptional, just a great beer all around.

Cheers to seaoflament, one hell of a trader, for this bottle. (877 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Received a growler of this from Deuane. Thanks so much!

Poured into a tulip glass to reveal a clear golden orange beer. Easy to see the carbonation rise to help sustain a nice sized white head that leaves good sticky lacing throughout

aroma is of hops, as you would expect. First whiff is of citrusy hops, but a deeper inhalation reveals a piney/grassy aroma

Taste features the citrus hops, but is balanced by the malt which prevents the hops from a runaway victory. The hops still win, but the malt has closed the gap

A fantastic beer that may have solidified a spot on my top 5 DIPA's. Once I received this growler I was considering taking this off my wants list, but I would love to have this again in bottle form or any form really. A pleasant DIPA. My only problem was that I so willingly shared this with two other beer lovers. They owe me and I owe Deuane (866 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

On tap at O'Brien's. Served in a pint glass filled to the brim with no head. Poured a very nice looking clear orange, lots of carbonation see throughout. The smell was very citrusy, as was the taste, with a great hop bouquet but not much bitterness came through. The sweet malt (very evident but not overwhelming) was really able to overshadow a lot of hoppy bitterness, which actually made the mouthfeel almost syrupy. On the verge of syrupy, but just below that. Somewhat viscous but overall lighter than a lot of the DIPA's now days, which doesn't make it so hard to get down. A very flavorful DIPA that doesn't kill you or feel like maple syrup in your mouth.

___

Grolwer filled one 3/1/08, consumed on 3/18/08.

Tasted super fresh. My electrical taping of the screw top worked amazingly. This beer oozes with resiny hops... pine, some citrus, just super fresh tasting and smelling. This is an IPA that contains quite a bit of bitterness in it, but that's great to me. Just a super IPA, the freshest I've had. Can't believe how well it held up in the growler over a 2 1/2 week period.

I'm bumping the smell and taste up from a 4.5 each to a 5 each. I love this beer. (1,173 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Big thanks to BeerTruth for this excellent trade.

22oz. bomber poured into an imp pint.

A: Bright golden pour with orange tinting and good visibility. 2 1/2 giners of frothy head with very good retention. Nice lacing.

S: Big floral hops with a nice citrus backbone. Malts are present as a bready note, helping with some complexity.

T/M: Great hop character. Juicy grapefruit and orange with a crisp earthy tone. bitterness is very controlled. I'd normally complain a bit about controlled bitterness in a DIPA but it doesn't bother me so much with this brew for whatever reason. Sweet and creamy malts and a dab of nuttiness brings up the rear before a slightly dry finish comes through with a hint of lasting bitterness.

D: Limited bitterness helps the drinkability a bunch. Great brew. Wish I had more. (809 characters)

Easily the best IPA I've ever had with the most amazingly fresh hop experience one could hope to have. It puts Randal to shame. This could even go up as one of the best beers of all time. Thanks to PappaMurf for this one.

This beer pours a bright and crystal clear orange copper color with a big frothy head on the pour that was a dim white and stuck around a bit.

Smells of fresh hops. I can't place the strain, but it's perfectly fresh, youthful and vibrant. Wow. There's a nice dry distant pine and a sweet green organic cleanness that's unbeatable. Behind this is a soft powdered sugar an honey.

Tastes of awesome hoppy goodness. Again, the freshness is startling. It just tastes so green and organic, almost like fruit in the sense that the flavor is so present without being subsumed by bitterness. This is blended well into a multi-grain wheat bread and saltine base.

Feels light but sturdy that gently pricks my tongue, but then allows the flavors to melt in. This dissipates into nothing but pure hop oils. Oh man...

This beer is perfect. What more can i say? Way to go Alpine! (1,091 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On my recent trip to San Diego, I brought back 20 bottles of various west coast goodies. This is the first bottle I'm opening of these, and it's something that I'll definitely not be able to get anyplace else.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Hennepin tulip (my new go-to glass) a crystal clear golden amber with a distinct red/orange tint to it. The head starts at a modest size and shrinks to a decent sized collar and hazy, tiny-bubbled surface coating that won't disappear. As I drink, splotchy lacing covers the entire height of the glass. A beautiful beer.

SMELL: The hops are (obviously) at the forefront of this and hit you with decent force. They're very citrusy and earthy with a grassy raw quality that I like a lot. Any malt presence is difficult to detect through the sweet hop resins, but I slight hint of bready carameliness is slightly detectable.

TASTE: My initial thought was that this was a fairly balanced beer coming at me. An excellent malt base was clearly present with the hop flavor and bitterness to match. But then at it crosses the palate, the hops just start to ramp up and up. Major citrus floods your mouth, and it's not just late addition hops either. This beer is damn bitter too. Not quite teeth-enamel-stripping levels, but it's definitely hopped to hell. And then comes the finish. The hops don't just last - they escalate even further and leave you puckering from the bitterness. I only wish for a little more substance on the finish, be it a slight maltiness or whatever. Even still, this beer tastes fantastic and leaves you wanted, no, demanding another sip.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium light bodied with a perfect average-level carbonation. The beer could be a bit beefier. I mean, I love raw hop flavor, but it needs a more substantial base on which to sit. Still decent though.

DRINKABILITY: Oh man, this one'll sneak up on you. No alcohol detectable at all. I'd gladly have another glass. In fact, I've got half the bomber left. Don't mind if I do!

Wow, this is a really delicious beer. Amazingly, I think it could actually be hoppier. There's no dating on the bottle, so I can't say how old it is, but I really hope I had this as fresh as I could. Even still, if you're in southern California, make sure you get some Pure Hoppiness. You'll be glad you did. (2,290 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow. This beer is awesome. One of the best DIPAs I have ever had. I recently purchased 2 bottles as part of an order from South Bay Drugs in California. I realize now that I should have bought more than 2. Thanks Joey.

Poured part of bomber into a snifter.

Appearance - It is perfectly transparent and has the color of honey - gold copper and orange hues. It produced a solid two finger head that had the texture of latte foam. It leaves a good amount of lacing behind. Very beautiful.

Smell - The initial smell is citrus grapefruit, and behind that is piney resinous hops, along with floral hops. There is a hint of caramel sweetness in the back of the scent. The scent is a multilayered blend of hops, and it is heavenly.

Taste - The flavor is great. It is balanced in the hop profile, but not really balanced with the malt. There is an initial sweet malt flavor but it dies very quickly. There isn't any sweetness that I can detect in the middle and end of the flavor. I really appreciate this quality because most other DIPAs are overly sweet, and Pure Hoppiness proves that it doesn't have to be this way to be a good DIPA. The hop profile is perfectly balanced in the sense that I can detect floral hop flavors, citrus hop flavors, and resinous piney hop flavors all in harmony with one another.

Mouthfeel - Liquid velvet. It is medium bodied and extremely creamy. The carbonation level is a little lower than I like it, but it goes down so easily that willing to forgive the carbonation level. Smooth.

Drinkability - This beer is awesome. A shining example of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is easily one of the best DIPAs I have ever had. Tasty, smells delicious, and easy drinking...what else do you need? (1,742 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

This pours from 22oz bottle a hazy medium gold with a good 2 finger head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer further into the session and it has lots of lacing.

The smell is hoppiness to the max. Grapefruit rules the nose and it's powerful.

The taste has huge notes of grapefruit up front..maybe the most I've tasted, initially, in any DIPA. I can *just* taste some malt in the background but it doesn't come to anywhere near the forefront during the entire session. This sample of the style is all about the hops. And what a nice hop character it has. Lots of grapefruit, some floral, some grass, some spice...still, it's mostly the grapefruit. A darn good sample of a hoppy DIPA and yes..I *do* love examples of the style where the malt shares the thrown with the hops. Sometimes, you look for that malt-hop balance in a DIPA and sometimes you don't. When they are done right, I can appreciate both and this one fits the bill. The 8%abv is very well hidden. My first sample from the Alpine Brewery and I'd dare say, not my last. Well done! (1,044 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Got this bad boy sometime back from the one and only BeerTruth. I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about this brew and I’m super excited to try it. This will be my first brew from Alpine Beer company. Drank form my Squatters Pub Brewery nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful yellow with hints of orange and a mega three plus finger creamy bright white head. Leaves a massive cap and collar with tons of huge splotches of sticky lacing.
Smell- Loads of soft floral hops that are both subtle and vibrant. Soft floral lilac and orange blossom give this a super fresh, clean nose. Some undertones of pine and fresh grass. I can’t get over how clean the nose is.
Taste- Huge grapefruit and tangerine citrus start the tongue numbing bitterness. Lemon and lots of piney goodness slowly meld to join a very soft caramel undertone. Buttery and sweet at the end before the bitterness comes back and leaves a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Absolutely no alcohol to be found, I actually think this is NA.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a nice medium body and pretty aggressive carbonation. I wish it was toned down just a hair.
Drinkability- This is one of those beers that you start drinking and before you know it, you got a buzz and the beer’s disappeared. This is probably the first DIPA that I’ve had that I’m glad it’s not “balanced”. I’m not a huge hop head (although I do enjoy a great DIPA every-so-often) but this one is different. The balance and types of whatever hops they used are just magnificent. This is a great beer and huge thanks to BeerTruth. (1,580 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Now I have waited forever to try this one, well it seemed like forever anyway. It had been sitting in the fridge awaiting me to call on it, and call I did. This poured a very bright and very hazy amber with a large sticky head of lace on top. Great retention never really let it fade, but rather just slowly sick down into a nice layer across the top. Deep smell of very sweet orange floral bouquet. Had a bit of a musty kind of odor in the back could not really place it, but it was still very hoppy, just a lot more balanced then I thought it would be. The flavor was sort of light with a very nice creamy consistency to it. Again somewhat musty bread like flavor was underlying the deep floral hoppy smells. A very nice flavor mix actually and kept it from being one of the excruciatingly bitter hop profiles you have actually come to expect from them. The full flavor itself was quite unique and unlike anything I had tried before, but that in of itself was a very good thing. Very drinkable as the 8% abv was not even noticeable for me. Overall I was very impressed with the depth on this one. I had expected it to be rather similar to the other big west coast IPA’s but was very surprised when it showed up to the table packing a different kind of punch, one with more depth and flow to it and something that was more in tune with itself, rather then just loaded down with as much cascade as possible. This is something you should definitely try, and honestly in a class of its own, a very nice beer. (1,507 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up in Alpine after a road trip to Julian. . .
Poured 750ml into a Duvel tulip glass
A- Pours a clear yellow/orange hue, head is 3-fingers' of white, smooth, cream that dissipates down to a thin layer, super sticky lacing all over the glass
S- Nose is a major hop wallop on the olfactories, mostly pine with a hint of orange/citrus, alcohol presence is stiff, so delicious
T- No surprise that the taste is dominated by big, bold pine hops backed by more subtle citrus, some sweet malts balance out the bitter hops midway through leading to a mildly bitter finish with alcohol warming, what a great example of a well-balanced DIPA that isn't overwhelming
M- Medium/full-bodied beer, oily and resinous texture coats the mouth, lively level of carbonation
D- This is a heavy-hitting hoppy DIPA that packs a punch in a good way, definitely not for those faint of hops, the alcohol is warming and would be an issue for drinking large quantities, a standout DIPA even for us West Coasters, my only complaint is that Alpine beers are not well distributed even in SD, be sure to try this out if you're looking for a hop adventure
Buy Again? Absolutely
|Personal score- 93/100 (1,173 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from Tap at the Local before the 94.9 fm Ann concert. Poured into pint glass a copper orange color with a small head. Smell of pine and citrus with a hint of malt aroma. Taste was very well balanced with pine hoppiness and grapefruit citrus being very mild the malt body help round out the beer, however for the style this beer is not as extreme as other DIPA i have tried just more balanced. The alcohol was well hidden making the beer very drinkable. Would like to try this beer again but this time from a bottle. (522 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

Received from seaoflament in a trade. Thanks Carlos.

Golden copper in color. Very thick fluffy white head. The smell is an incredible blend of citrus (mainly grapefruit), tons of pine, and floral aromas. As it warmed, a faint alcohol scent appeared. Taste of zesty citrus, pine needles, and a bit of sweet malt. Some bitter hops in the finish to balance it out. 8% ABV well hidden. Mouth feel is creamy, lightly syrupy and sticky.

The drinkability is extremely easy. This bomber went down real quick. A real treat. Highly recommended. (538 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

This one came in what seems to be a never ending BIF with my main man BeerTruth. Most people don't think too much about upstate NY when it comes to beer, but let me tell you it’s a beer utopia for me. BT sends me box after box loaded with the best the US has to offer. He is a great guy/trader that I can't say enough about. I had never heard of this beer but he loved it and sent me his last bottle that tells you the kind of guy he is. Enough with the man crush... On to the BEER!

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice thick two finger head. The head lingers forever and produces beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.... which by the way was sent to me by none other than BeerTruth I told you he kicks a$$.

S: A huge floral bouquet of a nose. It is a perfect battle between citrus and pine. Fresh cut grass wafts from the glass along with a nice sweet rock candy type malt. This beer begs you to taste it.

T: And as for the taste boy does it pull thru. I would call this a perfectly crafted IPA as opposed to a DIPA, but I am not going to take away any points for that. The balance between malt and hops is divine. You are immediately blasted by the flavor of citrus and pine along with a sweetness reminiscent of state fair cotton candy which arrives on the scene to sweeten it out. What you get is a beer that is balanced like no other.

M: Medium bodied and filling. There is a perfect level of carbonation to make this one a true winner.

D: It's drinkable. I sucked each and every last drop from the bottle.

Overall: BeerTruth please give me your supplier so I don't have to keep stealing your last bottle. This beer is liquid cocaine. I love it! I dream of taking a couple bombers of this beer to the beach on a hot summer Florida afternoon and watching the world pass me by. If you are looking for a hop bomb to assault your senses go with Ruination, but if you are looking for a perfectly crafted true West Coast style IPA this is the one. The balance is uncanny, and the taste suburb.

The bottle says drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed. I think I will drink Alpine Ale and go to bed. It's a wonderful beer that is worthy of its top 100 rating.

One last shout out to BeerTruth...Thanks Bro! You are what this website is all about. (2,259 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Served on tap at the Toronado. This is a great beer all around. No review that does this beer justice could start any other way.

The body is a crystal clear amber with just the thinest of white heads. It could have been the pour, but I like some head on my beer and this was really only a thin lacing on the surface.

The aroma is bursting at the seams with sweet sticky grapefruit. This is pretty much textbook DIPA aroma. These aromas make me want to drink immediately.

The flavor is a perfect 10. It is incredibly smooth and blasting open with grapefruit but with the bitterness held beautifully in check. Nearly all the hops must have been added right at the end of the boil. Behind the grapefruit is a great malt flavor which brings images of barley to mind due to it's crispness.

As I said above, this is a great beer and MUST be tried if you get the chance. I am now treasuring the bottle sitting on my shelf at home. (929 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Several different hop varieties and a huge hop back offer an overwhelmingly hoppy beer from the brewers at Alpine.
Pure Hoppiness is a very accurate name for this beer.

Pours a clear honey golden color with with a thick white head.

Aroma is HOPS, HOPS, HOPS! Piney, citrus, floral, slight hints of cedar and an inkling of sweet malt.

Tastes of citrusy, spicy, grapefruit with some sweet malty balance.

Light, slightly syrupy mouthfeel

Overall a phenomenally hoptastic IPA. (478 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Pint from Liars Club in San Diego

Pour was golden orange with a silky head that stuck around for about fifteen minutes

Smell was filled with oranges and pine

Taste was fantastic for an IPA, I cannot explain how hoppy this beer is, I cannot wait to try Exponential because I heard that has even more

This is a serious IPA that can be drank pretty easily, which is scary because it is eight percent alcohol

All the guys in the Alesmith line were right about this brew, great local brew out of SD (498 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Picked this one up at the brewery just up the road. The brewery is supper small, about the size of a large 3 car garage and it is crammed in there. Worth the trip though since alpine beer is very hard to find even 20 minutes up the road in San Diego.

Wonderful golden color off the tap. Nice little froth on top, creamy in color. Clear as it gets for an IPA and just begs to be drank.

Hops to the 100th degree hear. So much citrus and flower hints you can hardly stand it. Lots of orange and lime along with the fruity flower smell. It simply reaks of hops. Almost smells like rasta herb when you really breath deep, it is so nice.

Wow, all those smells simply explode into your mouth. Not for those who arent used to big hoppy beers. Bitterness is way less than you expect but it is there, balanced well with the malts that are used. Pure hoppiness is an accurate descripter. TONS of slighlty tart citrus. so nice.

The only true downside to me is the mouthfeel when you drink a couple. The excessive hops lead to an almost oily mouthfeel, more so than alot of other double IPAs I have had. Mouthfeel reminds me of drinking from the terrapinator from Terrapin brewing company.

Very drinkable and make for good beer to impress friends with. If you find it buy all they will let you. Every place I have found it limits the amount you can buy, even at the brewery. As of Sept 2007 you can buy 6-22oz at the brewery but as many growlers as you like. Just watch out if you drink several pints as the slick feeling in your mouth compounds.

This one is in my personal top 5 easy! (1,580 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a clear and golden orange with big creamy head with that retains nicely and laces some nice sheets. Smells of huge, fresh cut hops, grassy, piney, and actually a little spice from those hops. Taste is a delight. Fresh, multiple variety hops blast the buds followed by a hit of citrus rind and a nice malty finish that balances things out as if it were a perfect ying and yang. Medium in the mouth, no lingering bitterness. Drinkability is off the charts. I would call this an IPA of perfection, huge hops but the finish and drinkability is not a DIPA. A must try. (569 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Pours a slightly reddish, golden color with a finger, or less, of fluffy white foam. I was a little disappointed at the lack of head on this one, after drinking YuleSmith yesterday this one was a bit mute on the look. Aroma is a nice range of citrus fruits, apple, sweet cherry and sticky, sweet malt. Some pine notes are also hidden in the back of the dominant citrus hops. The taste is surprisingly balanced. It is a well crafted DIPA but it didn’t wow me. The name “Pure Hoppiness” I was imagining a bitter bliss, but I didn’t get that with this beer because it has a very adequate amount of malt to tame this beer from being bitterer than it is. The mouthfeel is fairly silky and smooth without feeling like a big/heavy beer, and the alcohol is very well hidden. Still, this is a great DIPA that deserves the good reputation it has. (840 characters)

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company