Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Wants: 1,265
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Reviews: 712 | Hads: 2,539
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On my recent trip to San Diego, I brought back 20 bottles of various west coast goodies. This is the first bottle I'm opening of these, and it's something that I'll definitely not be able to get anyplace else.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Hennepin tulip (my new go-to glass) a crystal clear golden amber with a distinct red/orange tint to it. The head starts at a modest size and shrinks to a decent sized collar and hazy, tiny-bubbled surface coating that won't disappear. As I drink, splotchy lacing covers the entire height of the glass. A beautiful beer.

SMELL: The hops are (obviously) at the forefront of this and hit you with decent force. They're very citrusy and earthy with a grassy raw quality that I like a lot. Any malt presence is difficult to detect through the sweet hop resins, but I slight hint of bready carameliness is slightly detectable.

TASTE: My initial thought was that this was a fairly balanced beer coming at me. An excellent malt base was clearly present with the hop flavor and bitterness to match. But then at it crosses the palate, the hops just start to ramp up and up. Major citrus floods your mouth, and it's not just late addition hops either. This beer is damn bitter too. Not quite teeth-enamel-stripping levels, but it's definitely hopped to hell. And then comes the finish. The hops don't just last - they escalate even further and leave you puckering from the bitterness. I only wish for a little more substance on the finish, be it a slight maltiness or whatever. Even still, this beer tastes fantastic and leaves you wanted, no, demanding another sip.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium light bodied with a perfect average-level carbonation. The beer could be a bit beefier. I mean, I love raw hop flavor, but it needs a more substantial base on which to sit. Still decent though.

DRINKABILITY: Oh man, this one'll sneak up on you. No alcohol detectable at all. I'd gladly have another glass. In fact, I've got half the bomber left. Don't mind if I do!

Wow, this is a really delicious beer. Amazingly, I think it could actually be hoppier. There's no dating on the bottle, so I can't say how old it is, but I really hope I had this as fresh as I could. Even still, if you're in southern California, make sure you get some Pure Hoppiness. You'll be glad you did.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow. This beer is awesome. One of the best DIPAs I have ever had. I recently purchased 2 bottles as part of an order from South Bay Drugs in California. I realize now that I should have bought more than 2. Thanks Joey.

Poured part of bomber into a snifter.

Appearance - It is perfectly transparent and has the color of honey - gold copper and orange hues. It produced a solid two finger head that had the texture of latte foam. It leaves a good amount of lacing behind. Very beautiful.

Smell - The initial smell is citrus grapefruit, and behind that is piney resinous hops, along with floral hops. There is a hint of caramel sweetness in the back of the scent. The scent is a multilayered blend of hops, and it is heavenly.

Taste - The flavor is great. It is balanced in the hop profile, but not really balanced with the malt. There is an initial sweet malt flavor but it dies very quickly. There isn't any sweetness that I can detect in the middle and end of the flavor. I really appreciate this quality because most other DIPAs are overly sweet, and Pure Hoppiness proves that it doesn't have to be this way to be a good DIPA. The hop profile is perfectly balanced in the sense that I can detect floral hop flavors, citrus hop flavors, and resinous piney hop flavors all in harmony with one another.

Mouthfeel - Liquid velvet. It is medium bodied and extremely creamy. The carbonation level is a little lower than I like it, but it goes down so easily that willing to forgive the carbonation level. Smooth.

Drinkability - This beer is awesome. A shining example of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is easily one of the best DIPAs I have ever had. Tasty, smells delicious, and easy drinking...what else do you need?

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

This pours from 22oz bottle a hazy medium gold with a good 2 finger head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer further into the session and it has lots of lacing.

The smell is hoppiness to the max. Grapefruit rules the nose and it's powerful.

The taste has huge notes of grapefruit up front..maybe the most I've tasted, initially, in any DIPA. I can *just* taste some malt in the background but it doesn't come to anywhere near the forefront during the entire session. This sample of the style is all about the hops. And what a nice hop character it has. Lots of grapefruit, some floral, some grass, some spice...still, it's mostly the grapefruit. A darn good sample of a hoppy DIPA and yes..I *do* love examples of the style where the malt shares the thrown with the hops. Sometimes, you look for that malt-hop balance in a DIPA and sometimes you don't. When they are done right, I can appreciate both and this one fits the bill. The 8%abv is very well hidden. My first sample from the Alpine Brewery and I'd dare say, not my last. Well done!

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Got this bad boy sometime back from the one and only BeerTruth. I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about this brew and I’m super excited to try it. This will be my first brew from Alpine Beer company. Drank form my Squatters Pub Brewery nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful yellow with hints of orange and a mega three plus finger creamy bright white head. Leaves a massive cap and collar with tons of huge splotches of sticky lacing.
Smell- Loads of soft floral hops that are both subtle and vibrant. Soft floral lilac and orange blossom give this a super fresh, clean nose. Some undertones of pine and fresh grass. I can’t get over how clean the nose is.
Taste- Huge grapefruit and tangerine citrus start the tongue numbing bitterness. Lemon and lots of piney goodness slowly meld to join a very soft caramel undertone. Buttery and sweet at the end before the bitterness comes back and leaves a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Absolutely no alcohol to be found, I actually think this is NA.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a nice medium body and pretty aggressive carbonation. I wish it was toned down just a hair.
Drinkability- This is one of those beers that you start drinking and before you know it, you got a buzz and the beer’s disappeared. This is probably the first DIPA that I’ve had that I’m glad it’s not “balanced”. I’m not a huge hop head (although I do enjoy a great DIPA every-so-often) but this one is different. The balance and types of whatever hops they used are just magnificent. This is a great beer and huge thanks to BeerTruth.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Now I have waited forever to try this one, well it seemed like forever anyway. It had been sitting in the fridge awaiting me to call on it, and call I did. This poured a very bright and very hazy amber with a large sticky head of lace on top. Great retention never really let it fade, but rather just slowly sick down into a nice layer across the top. Deep smell of very sweet orange floral bouquet. Had a bit of a musty kind of odor in the back could not really place it, but it was still very hoppy, just a lot more balanced then I thought it would be. The flavor was sort of light with a very nice creamy consistency to it. Again somewhat musty bread like flavor was underlying the deep floral hoppy smells. A very nice flavor mix actually and kept it from being one of the excruciatingly bitter hop profiles you have actually come to expect from them. The full flavor itself was quite unique and unlike anything I had tried before, but that in of itself was a very good thing. Very drinkable as the 8% abv was not even noticeable for me. Overall I was very impressed with the depth on this one. I had expected it to be rather similar to the other big west coast IPA’s but was very surprised when it showed up to the table packing a different kind of punch, one with more depth and flow to it and something that was more in tune with itself, rather then just loaded down with as much cascade as possible. This is something you should definitely try, and honestly in a class of its own, a very nice beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked up in Alpine after a road trip to Julian. . .
Poured 750ml into a Duvel tulip glass
A- Pours a clear yellow/orange hue, head is 3-fingers' of white, smooth, cream that dissipates down to a thin layer, super sticky lacing all over the glass
S- Nose is a major hop wallop on the olfactories, mostly pine with a hint of orange/citrus, alcohol presence is stiff, so delicious
T- No surprise that the taste is dominated by big, bold pine hops backed by more subtle citrus, some sweet malts balance out the bitter hops midway through leading to a mildly bitter finish with alcohol warming, what a great example of a well-balanced DIPA that isn't overwhelming
M- Medium/full-bodied beer, oily and resinous texture coats the mouth, lively level of carbonation
D- This is a heavy-hitting hoppy DIPA that packs a punch in a good way, definitely not for those faint of hops, the alcohol is warming and would be an issue for drinking large quantities, a standout DIPA even for us West Coasters, my only complaint is that Alpine beers are not well distributed even in SD, be sure to try this out if you're looking for a hop adventure
Buy Again? Absolutely
|Personal score- 93/100

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from Tap at the Local before the 94.9 fm Ann concert. Poured into pint glass a copper orange color with a small head. Smell of pine and citrus with a hint of malt aroma. Taste was very well balanced with pine hoppiness and grapefruit citrus being very mild the malt body help round out the beer, however for the style this beer is not as extreme as other DIPA i have tried just more balanced. The alcohol was well hidden making the beer very drinkable. Would like to try this beer again but this time from a bottle.

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%

Received from seaoflament in a trade. Thanks Carlos.

Golden copper in color. Very thick fluffy white head. The smell is an incredible blend of citrus (mainly grapefruit), tons of pine, and floral aromas. As it warmed, a faint alcohol scent appeared. Taste of zesty citrus, pine needles, and a bit of sweet malt. Some bitter hops in the finish to balance it out. 8% ABV well hidden. Mouth feel is creamy, lightly syrupy and sticky.

The drinkability is extremely easy. This bomber went down real quick. A real treat. Highly recommended.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

This one came in what seems to be a never ending BIF with my main man BeerTruth. Most people don't think too much about upstate NY when it comes to beer, but let me tell you it’s a beer utopia for me. BT sends me box after box loaded with the best the US has to offer. He is a great guy/trader that I can't say enough about. I had never heard of this beer but he loved it and sent me his last bottle that tells you the kind of guy he is. Enough with the man crush... On to the BEER!

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice thick two finger head. The head lingers forever and produces beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.... which by the way was sent to me by none other than BeerTruth I told you he kicks a$$.

S: A huge floral bouquet of a nose. It is a perfect battle between citrus and pine. Fresh cut grass wafts from the glass along with a nice sweet rock candy type malt. This beer begs you to taste it.

T: And as for the taste boy does it pull thru. I would call this a perfectly crafted IPA as opposed to a DIPA, but I am not going to take away any points for that. The balance between malt and hops is divine. You are immediately blasted by the flavor of citrus and pine along with a sweetness reminiscent of state fair cotton candy which arrives on the scene to sweeten it out. What you get is a beer that is balanced like no other.

M: Medium bodied and filling. There is a perfect level of carbonation to make this one a true winner.

D: It's drinkable. I sucked each and every last drop from the bottle.

Overall: BeerTruth please give me your supplier so I don't have to keep stealing your last bottle. This beer is liquid cocaine. I love it! I dream of taking a couple bombers of this beer to the beach on a hot summer Florida afternoon and watching the world pass me by. If you are looking for a hop bomb to assault your senses go with Ruination, but if you are looking for a perfectly crafted true West Coast style IPA this is the one. The balance is uncanny, and the taste suburb.

The bottle says drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed. I think I will drink Alpine Ale and go to bed. It's a wonderful beer that is worthy of its top 100 rating.

One last shout out to BeerTruth...Thanks Bro! You are what this website is all about.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Served on tap at the Toronado. This is a great beer all around. No review that does this beer justice could start any other way.

The body is a crystal clear amber with just the thinest of white heads. It could have been the pour, but I like some head on my beer and this was really only a thin lacing on the surface.

The aroma is bursting at the seams with sweet sticky grapefruit. This is pretty much textbook DIPA aroma. These aromas make me want to drink immediately.

The flavor is a perfect 10. It is incredibly smooth and blasting open with grapefruit but with the bitterness held beautifully in check. Nearly all the hops must have been added right at the end of the boil. Behind the grapefruit is a great malt flavor which brings images of barley to mind due to it's crispness.

As I said above, this is a great beer and MUST be tried if you get the chance. I am now treasuring the bottle sitting on my shelf at home.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Several different hop varieties and a huge hop back offer an overwhelmingly hoppy beer from the brewers at Alpine.
Pure Hoppiness is a very accurate name for this beer.

Pours a clear honey golden color with with a thick white head.

Aroma is HOPS, HOPS, HOPS! Piney, citrus, floral, slight hints of cedar and an inkling of sweet malt.

Tastes of citrusy, spicy, grapefruit with some sweet malty balance.

Light, slightly syrupy mouthfeel

Overall a phenomenally hoptastic IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Pint from Liars Club in San Diego

Pour was golden orange with a silky head that stuck around for about fifteen minutes

Smell was filled with oranges and pine

Taste was fantastic for an IPA, I cannot explain how hoppy this beer is, I cannot wait to try Exponential because I heard that has even more

This is a serious IPA that can be drank pretty easily, which is scary because it is eight percent alcohol

All the guys in the Alesmith line were right about this brew, great local brew out of SD

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%

Picked this one up at the brewery just up the road. The brewery is supper small, about the size of a large 3 car garage and it is crammed in there. Worth the trip though since alpine beer is very hard to find even 20 minutes up the road in San Diego.

Wonderful golden color off the tap. Nice little froth on top, creamy in color. Clear as it gets for an IPA and just begs to be drank.

Hops to the 100th degree hear. So much citrus and flower hints you can hardly stand it. Lots of orange and lime along with the fruity flower smell. It simply reaks of hops. Almost smells like rasta herb when you really breath deep, it is so nice.

Wow, all those smells simply explode into your mouth. Not for those who arent used to big hoppy beers. Bitterness is way less than you expect but it is there, balanced well with the malts that are used. Pure hoppiness is an accurate descripter. TONS of slighlty tart citrus. so nice.

The only true downside to me is the mouthfeel when you drink a couple. The excessive hops lead to an almost oily mouthfeel, more so than alot of other double IPAs I have had. Mouthfeel reminds me of drinking from the terrapinator from Terrapin brewing company.

Very drinkable and make for good beer to impress friends with. If you find it buy all they will let you. Every place I have found it limits the amount you can buy, even at the brewery. As of Sept 2007 you can buy 6-22oz at the brewery but as many growlers as you like. Just watch out if you drink several pints as the slick feeling in your mouth compounds.

This one is in my personal top 5 easy!

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a clear and golden orange with big creamy head with that retains nicely and laces some nice sheets. Smells of huge, fresh cut hops, grassy, piney, and actually a little spice from those hops. Taste is a delight. Fresh, multiple variety hops blast the buds followed by a hit of citrus rind and a nice malty finish that balances things out as if it were a perfect ying and yang. Medium in the mouth, no lingering bitterness. Drinkability is off the charts. I would call this an IPA of perfection, huge hops but the finish and drinkability is not a DIPA. A must try.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a slightly reddish, golden color with a finger, or less, of fluffy white foam. I was a little disappointed at the lack of head on this one, after drinking YuleSmith yesterday this one was a bit mute on the look. Aroma is a nice range of citrus fruits, apple, sweet cherry and sticky, sweet malt. Some pine notes are also hidden in the back of the dominant citrus hops. The taste is surprisingly balanced. It is a well crafted DIPA but it didn’t wow me. The name “Pure Hoppiness” I was imagining a bitter bliss, but I didn’t get that with this beer because it has a very adequate amount of malt to tame this beer from being bitterer than it is. The mouthfeel is fairly silky and smooth without feeling like a big/heavy beer, and the alcohol is very well hidden. Still, this is a great DIPA that deserves the good reputation it has.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks goes out to sirhc for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, tons of sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is hoppy, nice touch of malt, citrus, some pines, and a good dose of caramel. The taste is nice and hoppy, a touch of malts, good dose of citrus/pines/caramel. The finish is slightly bitter and dry. Medium body. Very drinkable, an excellent DIPA, and my first from this brewery.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a pretty clear copper hue with a wonderful two finger head that takes a good while to die down. Stickiness holds on to the glass all over, I may be scrubbing the sides to clean this one. Smell is a sweet, hypnotizing citrus (mostly grapefruit) with a tiny hint of caramel in the nose. Taste is one of a kind. Creamy, buttery, pine hop flavor...this is a flavor I find difficult to describe. Aftertaste is a spicey, dry hop flavor with a sweet orange tingle. Mouthfeel is perfect, fairly light bodied with the right amount of carbonation. For a DIPA, this baby goes down so smooth. Probably one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had to date, pick up this treat for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is light toasted caramel with good carbonation. The head is a big two fingers off white and leaves good lace.

The Smell is very nice earthy hops, with hints of citrus.

The taste follows and is very good. The bitter is strong and lingers long. The malt is also present and quite good producing excellent balance.

The mouthfeel is very good, nice and thick with very good carbonation.

The drinkability is Very good. I could turn to this any time.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

22 oz. Bottle. The pour is a clear orange with a white head and lacing. Nice pine cone nose with some malt. Very piny and citrus in the flavor with a nice light malt background. Not overly bitter but still has a nice lingering bitterness in the finish. I can thank my friend Doug for this one!

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Drank on-tap at O'Brien's, San Diego, CA

Poured a clear amber with a thick, dense, creamy, frothy, off-white head. Lots of clingy, thick lacing cascaded down the glass.

The aroma was hoppy and citrusy with noticeable sweet caramel malts.

The taste was similar to the aroma yet a bit more smooth, sweet and fruity. Citrusy hops were obvious along with tropical fruits (including mango) and a sweet, caramel malt backbone. The malts were most noticeable up front and mid-palate, where they combined seamlessly with the hops to provide a needed balance. As the beer warmed, the sweet caramel malts became even more pronounced. The finish was hoppy, yet not over the top, with lingering notes of pine sap, grapefruit and pineapple.

Mouthfeel was rich, smooth and quite creamy, but the carbonation was excessively low.

As for drinkability, this beer was quite easy-drinking (especially for the style). There was a nice mix of both sweet and bitter flavors, and the 8% ABV was very well hidden (but it definitely caught up with me by the beer's end).

Overall, this was a smooth and tasty double IPA, albeit somewhat less extreme than many others in its category.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

A 22 oz. bottle without a freshness date, courtesy of BlindPig. Poured to a pint glass.

A: Gorgeous golden-orange, glowing in the sunlight with a slight suspended haziness. About 1-finger of creamy, soapy white head. Head dies to a thin film within a couple minutes and I noted just a few random streams of carbonation, more like single bubbles rising here and there. Very pretty bands of sticking lace from top to bottom of the glass.

S: Enticingly sweet, smelling of fresh citrus, pine and a hefty dose of caramel. Aroma also offers ripe melon, orange zest, and a grassy spice. Rises high and lasts forever, an excellent introduction to this beer.

T: A lovely beer, extremely well balanced! Hops are appropriately strong, tasting of oranges & tangerines, a dash of grapefruit juice, spicy pine oils. Malted grain is not a supporting layer but an equal here, gently easing off the bitterness throttle and keeping this one on course. Caramel and a lightly biscuit-y maltiness provide just enough sweetness. Very tasty!

M: Not the strongest, fullest mouthfeel; I judged this one as 'medium', considering some other DIPA's that induce a powerful pucker, strip off tooth enamel, and generally kill the tastebuds. The Pure Hoppiness is a gentle giant - an 8% DIPA that's smooth, balanced, creamy in th mouth and finishes surprisingly clean. Yes, there's some hoppy/bitter aftertaste and just a hint of alcohol warmth, but this is one of the nicest DIPAs I've ever had.

D: 5's are pretty rare for me, but it's also rare I find a DIPA with so much flavor that is also so drinkable. Often flavors and hops get so overwhelming, I want to quit a bomber about halfway through. Not this one...terrific flavors, aroma and mouthfeel make this a new favorite. Deserving the reputation and highly recommended!

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours clear golden amber with finger thick foamy head that leaves lace all the way up the glass. The head thins slowly, remaining foamy and 1/4" thick. Strong floral to piney hop smell with a hint of grapefruit. Crisp, bitter and very hoppy initial flavor with a hint of grapefruit. The malt base is good but doesn't quite balance with the strong hops. Nice moderately bitter aftertaste that is medium to long lived and very pleasant. Medium to full bodied mouthfeel that remains crisp and alcholic. Try pairing it with rosemary encrusted lamb chops. I would definitely purchase this again, and I have been very lucky to have a couple of friends travling to San Diego, bringing me back some of this fine ale. I can only dream that they will increase their distribution.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

It poured a nice golden yellow, but lacked decent head and lacing. Both are things I expect from a double ipa. The aroma was very complex and completely loaded with hops. I've just started home brewing, so I can sometimes pick out what type of hops are being used by the smell, but with this, they intermingled and fed off eachother to create an almost supernatural aroma. The taste was like the smell, but was complemented nicely by the sublte malt back-bone. They really let the hops take over making my face pucker and distort in joy. It was also extremely easy to go through a bomber in a sitting. I like this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn, this is an amazing beer. DIPA's are my favorite style, and I've tried most of em out there. I have to say Pure Hoppiness is one of the best Double IPA's I've had. Of course Pliny the Elder is my #1, but I'm always searching for something similar...or possibly better. So far this is my #2. If you like Pliny, you'll love this beer!

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

22 oz. bottle, 8% ABV. Slightly hazy golden color, with a thick white head. The head disappeared rather quickly, however it left some great patches of lace.

Intense piney and citrusy hop aroma. A bit of grass clippings as well.

Solid caramel malt base. Great citrusy hop presence, with some floral and piney notes following in the background. Somehow, the malt character seems to linger along with the hop bitterness. Talk about well balanced!

Great body, appropriate carbonation. So easy to drink, no way this is 8%. A very solid brew. Seemed to be a bit more in line with a standard IPA, but who cares.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company