Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,266
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Reviews: 673 | Hads: 2,379
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

The epitome of what a Double IPA should be. This is my go to DIPA whenever I am in San Diego. The scent is pure hops, very piney, a little citrusy. Taste is also piney, hops hops hops, but man what a balanced beer this is! I can drink this all day long, easily one of the smoothest brews I have ever had. This is what I compare every DIPA I taste to, and I wish I could get it more often up here in LA. Fortunately, I head down to SD on a weekly basis, and enjoy this frequently at O'Brien's and the Liar's Club. I preach the gospel of this brew to every hophead I meet, and dub this a "must try" if it ever crosses your path.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks go to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this gem. We split this while watching the Super Bowl.

Appearance: A cloudy straw colored pour with orange tinge emerges from the bomber with a thick and sudsy white cap.

Smell: A wonderful citrus hop aroma with a touch of sweet malt. The hops are poppin' and I'm loving it! What a great fresh citrus aroma on this one...

Taste: Orange juice, lemon zest, grapefruit...hop oils galore!! A nice malty carmel base to balance it out. This is what I think of when it comes to West Coast IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Medium and oily, slightly dry and puckering. Not harsh but lively and enjoyable.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Lovely nectar it is. One of the better IPAs I've had in a while. Outstanding indeed.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer arrived and was a crystal clear toasted golden elixir. Topped with a nice bone colored head of fine bubbles that left an awesome amount of lacing. The smell is rather modest, light in the hop area with only hints of pine, there is something also slightly sweet as well. Perhaps the aroma of Sweet-tarts candy. The taste is a hops explosion and yet that sweetness is still there, hanging around. Pronounced piney hop bite in the finish. This is also slightly drying at the same time. Medium bodied, and medium carbonation with a nice full mouthfeel. Worth tracking down.

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Big ole double duecer pours into my glass with a slightly hazy light peach hue offering topped off with a settled spotty ivory head cap containing a few scant tiny bubbles rising up to meet the surface.

Piney resin nose with a grassy note. Malt balance is reserved with a mostly grapefruit nose.

First swigs: Flavor mirrors the nose somewhat with a piney hop flavor met with a citrus grapefruit and grapefruit peel. Orange juice sizzle. A slight Tang drink and some Spree candy notes. No detctable heat. I am talking ZERO!

Feel is spritzy, slightly easy medium feel with a bit of a thin body. Not to a fault.

Last swigs: Thanks to fellow BA NeroFiddled for the generous bottle. In case you can't get your hands on this hoppy dish, it reminds me a bit of Hop Wallop.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

I'm so excited to taste this beer. I smelled the cap after opening this and it was bursting with succulent hop, brilliant and drawing me in. I am pumped. It pours a solid golden color with a finger of head that falls to a sparse coating over top. Right where I want the color. Nose is so sweet and citrusy. The combination between the sweet hop and the caramel malt sweetness really comes across as spun sugary goodness. Flavor hits me with a tease of bitterness before swallowing. This is followed immediately by incredible sweet grapefruity American hop and caramel malt. It finishes nice and sweet with a moderate bitterness that hangs on just enough to balance. Feel is right between moderate and thick with a light-moderate carbonation. Very nice. Absolutely no hint of the 8% in this beer. Flavor really has balance. This beer is in harmony with itself. Its not something to gulp, but also not something that keeps you from enjoying it at a nice clip. I am a fan. Good call Lou.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

edit: just realized the beer at the Strong Ale Fest was Anniversary Pure Hoppiness - so that is the beer reviewed here:

This is one of the highlights from the San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

The hop nose hits you instantly: very floral, slight pine and citrus tones. The pour was perfect: a frothy laced head topped the golden colored ale. The hop bite is substantial, but the taste is well-balanced. It has a nice creaminess that masks the 8% ABV, making it potential dangerous – I could see myself drinking this all day.

I need to find a vendor where I can load up on some of these bottles or make a trip to the brewery myself.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to KingG for this one...
Pours a super clear copper color with a full finger of thick, bright white head that sticks around forever...the lacing is thick and has tremendous cling to the side of my snifter glass.
Huge fruity hops in the nose...mainly grapefruit and citrus and a subtle sweetness to balance it out.
The taste is great...a hefty malt backbone to counteract the huge bitter profile in this one...finishes pretty clean and the alcohol is well hidden for 8%, but does make an appearance in the last few swigs.
Mouthfeel is less than average for the style, but still not too thin...it is where I like to see my IPA's at.
Carbonation is where I like to see it and the finish is quite dry...very drinkable, as the bomber disappears very quickly.
A solid first for me from Alpine and worth seeking out.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

The nose was so good that my mouth watered sniffing the cap. A hoplovers air freshener. Big beautiful grapefruit and caramel nose. Bright white head. I was craving a big rich IPA and this delivered. All the qualities you look for – complex and dominant hops, long hop bitterness in the aftertaste, and a thoroughly satisfying crisp clean drinkability. The body was a couple of notches above a normal IPA but not quite a douple IPA. This is more like a 1.5x IPA vs. a double.Although you can drink this all day, I took my time over an hour drinking the 22oz and it was great to sip a little at a time. Ah, hops are good. A rare find at Ledger's.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11/19/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA

Presentation- 22oz undated bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden with a touch of cloudyness. Small bits of sediment float around. Nice lacing as well as a 3/4 inch white head.

Smell- Pleasant scent of fruity and pine hops. Not really much of a malt smell though.

Taste- Malt does come through nicely in the taste. Fairly dark malt leads to a mid range bitterness from the hops. Mostly citrus...grapefruit and orange with bits of pine tastes on every few sips.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation level that leaves a semi bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- Very nice DIPA. Glad I snagged a few while I could.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Took a trip down to the Alpine Beer Co. Had a few tasters, and picked a couple 22oz. PH bottles. Also picked up a bottle of "Great" their barlywine.

Trip was well worth it, met the brewer's son and wife, very nice people. I'll be making a trip out there again.

Anyways back to the beer,

As soon as I popped that bad boy I could smell the intense amount of hops even before I poured it into my tulip glass.

Poured a bright golden honey color. Thin white fizzy head. Quite a bit of carbonation.

My god what an awesome hop aroma, as if I was burying my face in pure hops, awesome! Very citusy and grassy almost pine.

Night crips taste, very nice strong hop finish. Grapefruit like bitterness. Not so bold that it is unbalanced, actually it's very balanced. Pine like bitterness left on the tongue.

One of my favorite beers, finally got it in bottle form Awesome!

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer pours a nice golden yellow color with an off white head. The head is fluffy. It fades quickle leaving a lot of laces. This beer smells very hoppy. It smells piney. It has a slight citrus aroma also. I cant detect much malt aroma. The alcohol is hard to detect also, but it is there if you look. This beer tastes hoppy. Very hoppy. It has a piney, earthy taste to it. It has a slightly citrusy taste also. I can not detect much in the way of malt flavor. This beer is mainly just bitter. It is very refreshing. It is a full bodied, aggressive beer, but I think that it is very enjoyable. It leaves a piney aftertaste. This beer has just the right amount of carbonation. This beer might not be the best session beer if you are not fond of the style. The aggressive flavor might wear a little thin on some drinkers. This beer is a very good Double IPA. It is well worth any effort you might have to take to get it.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Medium-bronze body with striking clarity. Creamy light tan collar of foam with a floral hoppy nose (!). This poorly named IPA implies all hops and no backbone...but the reality of the situation is this; Without the structure of base malt, this brew would simply be another over-hopped Left Coast IPA.

Pine dominates the inhale and entry is smooth with an initial hop-bite quickly brushed back by a sturdy backbone of quality malt. Mouthfeel is near perfect and the finish is clean with a BAHB (Big ass hop bite) followed by a beautiful fade from one of my new found hop bombs.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance and Presentation – 22 oz bomber from oggg. The beer pours a rather light, hazy yellow-orange. The creamy, white head stays around for a few minutes eventually falling to nothing and leaves great lacing. There is also almost no visible carbonation.

Smell – Pungent lemon pine combo. Very resinous, a real hop bomb. There may be a hint of sweet malt way off in the distance, but it’s faint. Alcohol shows up a bit as the beer warms along with a touch of floral.

Taste – Bitterness up front that transforms into a variety of hop flavors, citrus and pine in particular. Not much balance from the malt. Complex hop flavor, but the malt is lacking. The final pour had a bit of yeast which added some nice earthiness to the beer.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel is medium-full with light prickly carbonation, smooth.

Drinkability and Notes – A lighter malt presence than most means that this is a very drinkable beer. It’s a solid DIPA, but it doesn’t have the malt profile to make it standout from the pack. Great hops, and if that’s all you look for in an IPA, this one is for you.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured a dark golden color with a medium sized, white head that left nice sticky lacing on the glass. Resiny, piney, green and citrus hop aroma. Taste is very bright, limes, lemons, citrus grapefruit. Light malts to balance it all out. Decent, but I would reach for the Expo Hoppiness first, if I had the chance.

3.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is what it says it is, though well made in the genre and fairly well balanced in the hopheads domain. It first appears orange-amber and very clear. Its head is sticky and white. Interesting oily C-hops aroma well mellowed by a tea bag reminiscent herbal maltiness. Generous earthiness and more of this tea goodness keep up on the tongue and come close to offering a match to the slick oily hops, tongue-slicingly bitter, flowery and grapefruity. Thin and refreshing mouthfeel, surprisingly light carbonation feels somehow too much with the oiliness of the hops used. Thanks Eyechartbrew, very clean brew.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Liar's Club in Mission Beach. First pint out of the keg. Poured with a thick white head that stayed throughout the glass. Left thick lacing. Bright golden color. Smells of citrus hops (grapefruit). Taset is incredibly balanced, but dominated by hops. Very very drinkable. All in all a great double IPA - find it if you can!

3.87/5  rDev -10.8%

Special thanks to my friend Mike for procuring this bottle fresh for me from San Diego. Thanks, Mike.

The beer poured a deep golden color with a white lacing of head. The consistency of the head was wispy and foamy, not mouselike or creamy.

The aroma was a strong citrus smell, most likely a heavy contribution from Cascade hops. Beer bottle indicates the beer is run through a hopback but also dry hopped after primary fermentation.

I liked the taste, but it did not blow me away. The firmness of the hops was there, but there was a slight misrepresentation from the malt. Not by much though... this beer was obviously very well-crafted. It was clean, free of all off-flavors and impurities.

The beer was medium-bodied, which I think could of benefited from being medium to full-bodied.

Overall, it was definitely a drinkable brew. Probably not a beer I would seek out, but something that I could enjoy on any given night.

Poured a very golden color with a big soapy head that deposited loads of lace on the pint glass.
Aroma of pine tar with some lighter citrus in the background and caramel and toffee underpinnings.
Flavor was caramel and toffee front dominated by a very powerful pine and resiny bittering hops.
Mouthfeel was swet to start but the hop domination soon tookover. A bit too unbalanced for me but very true to style.
Drinkability is very solid. Alpine obviously makes great beer and looking forward to a few more from this newly found brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with meathookjones. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 3/4" of off-white head over the golden brew. Frothy head exhibits some staying power, and lacing is foamy and plentiful. Aroma is all about the piney hops, with perhaps a dash of citrus, all shimmed up with ample malt character. Taste is as well all about piney hops, with smooth malts sliding in somewhat under that radar. Mouthfeel is great for the style, not too overboard, and drinkability is good as well. Another delectible Alpine offering, I'll have to keep an eye out for others...

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Light gold with a nice frothy head of white foam. Lacing ensues and is quite nice as well. Aromas are of fresh hops, grass, citrus fruits, light bready malts, and more. Taste is lightly carbonated hoppy, fresh, herbal, grassy, and citric. Grapefruit flavors also make an appearance, as does various pine hints, sappy tree-like flavors and more. Awesome medium-bodied mouthfeel and a stellar drinkability. A very hoppy offering that is quite balanced as well. Another CA state gem of a brew. Cheers.

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%

This is damn good. Fellow BA Xlperro gave us a bottle this past friday, and really, it wasn't like I wanted this one to sit around. I shared the bomber with David of course, and we each got plenty of good beer. Color when poured was tangerine, very slight haze. Since I controlled the pour, we each got a lovely 1/2 inch of thick chewy foam. I am about 2/3's done, and still am rewarded with faint lace throughout the glass. There's a lot going on with the aroma...initial whiffs reveal some grassy hops, also some woody ones. A deeper whiff reveals frankly what one gets when they stick their nose in a bag of fresh hops...very nice. Tastewise, one is rewarded with solid medium mouthfeel, low carbonation, and hops upon hops. The hops have a bit of bitterness in the finish, but I find the beer pretty balanced (there's malt in there somewhere). I have to give this beer high marks for drinkability, because not only would I like another, I can't tell this beer is 8% at all...thanks!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer's reputation and the exhuberant exultation of the label description have me greatly anticipating this bottle...hell, I'm glad the hunt is over and it's in my mitts at last, now all that's left is the experience..let it begin...
hey, I just cracked the crown and the happiness, and hoppiness has begun already....now, it's freed from the bottle and into the glass...pure honey gold, fine head of pure white froth bobbing on top...
the nose, that's the treasure! Piney and sprucey, sweet tropical/citric fruits...gorgeous!...hop oils aplenty, raw and delicious, this is a heavenly thing, a halo fit for a hophead...I don't want to disrupt this lovely thing by drinking it, but I have no choice...the beer beckons..will it be as savory once past the lips?
A blast of bitterness, a phalanx of fruit, creamy and juicy, with an enhanced hop profile. Some what lightish in body, but the flavor is so high to render that moot, too huge in hoppiness, buzzing every inch of the mouth with the tasty hops..which ones? Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial? How'd I do?* Maybe more, maybe less, but whatever they are, they're there in plentitude.
this is an experience in a bottle, a very happy thing to have in the mouth, I'm an instant admirer, and have a new favorite to add to my must-drink column, ...although that reputation had already put it there..now that it's been in my lucky stomach, it's assumed a rightful place among the greatest IPAs I've ever known. A real humdinger,...which means, literally, as far as humming and dinging goes, it's the real deal!

(precious thanks to kmcnair!)
*I know know it's Cascade, Columbus, and H-something--whoops, I lost...

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to XLPerro for bringing it up North. A hophead experience, over-the-top of IPA with the seven different hops. Definite hop bite not for everyone. Grapefruit aroma and taste there, very dry after. Very aromatic hops. Grassy, leafy, piney thick mouthfeel. A bit of fruit and carmel mid-sip. Moderate carbonation. The salad to my meat dish.

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

Refulgent tangerine-amber with abundant fine particles that might as well be hop dust. The rich, creamy, yet stiffsticky head falls at the margins, leaving a crowned dollop of milkshake-like foam in the center of the glass. Intricate lace in near contiguous sheets is clinging for all it's worth to all available surfaces. Beautiful.

Stupendous, incandescent, hoptastic nose of sweet citrus peel and pine. I'd love to know what was used to dry hop this nectar. That particular hop variety would instantly shoot to the top of my most-favored list, if it's not there already. Pure Hoppiness's nose instantly and irrevocably takes a spot in my top-3 DIPA aromas of all-time.

Mind-bending hop flavor on the palate. If malt wasn't quite as much of a presence, this would more properly be classified as an IPA. That is precisely why I prefer IPAs, not so much of that pesky malt to get in the way. In this case it provides a sweetness that attempts to hold the hops in check and just barely succeeds (dammit!). Having said that, this is one DIPA that is weighted much more heavily to the hoppy side of things.

Pure Hoppiness isn't Ruination, but it is a tongue-scalding hop bomb, make no mistake. The bitter grapefruit pith covered in a candied conifer coating is having a rave in my mouth that I hope will never end. This stuff shamelessly zeros in on my beer id, digs in its claws and holds on for dear life. You want nuance and complexity? Go drink a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, just leave this hop tart for us heathens.

The body, needless to say, is big, smooth as silk and as creamy as a non-stout can get; the perfect vehicle for carrying that abundant hoppiness across the palate and keeping it there until reinforcements come with the next sip.

What else can I possibly say? Pure Hoppiness is pure deliciousness. I'm heartened by the fact that I have one more bottle, but depressed that I don't have easy access to this mother's milk of a beer. Alpine's PH is yet another reason to curse the two most vile words in a BA's vocabulary: limited distribution.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Hard to find these bottles: I picked up this 22oz bomber from the Alpine Brewing Company along with a growler of the Pure Hoppiness so I could have my PH now AND later.

Compared to the cask and fresh from the tap, this beer from the bottle is still excellent but clearly loses some of its luster. The appearance is the same. The smell is nice and hoppy but certainly way less intense. The hop flavor is pretty well preserved. Not quite as mouth puckering, but still tons of grapefruit. Malt flavor also seems a touch less intense. Same mouthfeel and subtle alcohol. Even in this diminished state, this is the best IPA/DIPA from a bottle.

1/20/09 another bottle that had aged in my closet (58-72F) for 2.5 years at least. Tasted in my Unibroue goblet. Very foamy, almost too much. great lace. This time I get a huge lychee scent next to the now-subdued pine cone and grapefruit, which come later. Extreme juiciness is still in effect, making my mouth water big time. Crisp with a solid bitterness that really goes along with the lychee, citrus, and then the biscuit backbone. Finishes with a great balance between the syrupy malt and the bitter hops. Wonderful. Alcohol still imperceptible.

Overall: This hop juice is amazing. This has bitterness, but if you can take the bitterness of any APA, you can dig this beer.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company