Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,260
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,315 | Reviews: 685
4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Pour: draught to pint glass. Comes out with a half inch white head over a bright copper body. Quickly after arriving the head leaves a pock-marked cap of pretty lacings. Lots of active bubble trails throughout the glass.

Nose: Hops are in-your-face pine, extremely bitter aroma in anticipation of the taste. A tickle of something sweet, like maple syrup. Chalk, milk, bananas.

Mouth: Man, the hops hit with grass and pine, like sucking on pine needles, but it's not so extremely bitter as to burn me out. A light bitter after taste, balances the fruit character of the front. Pears & grains, like a flavored rice cake. Brown sugar flavor as well. Excellently balanced between the malt & hop with a smooth dry finish. Mouthfeel enters strong and prickly but a bit too creamy in the back as it foams up.

Really fun to drink; extremely enjoyable.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

on tap @ O' Briens in San Diego

A- fluffy 1" white head, golden straw color with a hint of orange, good retnet, plenty of lace

S- super citrus, some pine in there to

T- citrus, then citrus, did I mention citrus. So after the grapefruit slam, you got some pine and malt sweetness, but then the citrus is back for the finish and aftertaste.

M- bit thin, but very smooth

D- smell is just as strong as the taste, great for a hop fix. Fun to try, but i wouldnt go out of my way for another. I would take one if i was in my way though. Best to enjoy over a extended amount of time.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Light copper appearance with high clarity. Frothy light foam begins at 1/2 inch, settles some leaving a nice crust and minor lace. Intense piney hop aroma, nectary and floral, with a hint of spiciness and also mild citrus notes. The taste has a strong dry-hopped flavor and a light nutty maltiness with the slightest hint of roast. The bitterness creeps in slowly after a few sips and really builds toward a sharp cheddar-like bite. I am really impressed with the freshness of the hops. Alcohol is not real noticible here. Mouthfeel is solid, medium body, moderate carbonation, very-clean like finish, not sticky. I loved this beer, even more than anticipated. The hops were fantastic, and I think they managed to make a big double without overdoing it too much. Excellent...

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle

Medium amber, white bubbly head, good carbonation

Aroma of major hops, citrus, pine, grass, cannabis, malt, carmel, sweet

Tastes much like is smells, big hops out front, followed by mildly sweet malt and faint carmel, finishes with an earthy taste and slightly bitter aftertaste.

Creamy texture, but not too heavy, very drinkable, this is a beer in a class by itself.

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

Cheers to the San Diego BAs for this sample.

Pours a transparent amber gold color that forms a decent 1 finger thick head which diminishes fairly quickly although a good amount of foam stays on top. Some very fine almost silt-like lace is left along the sides of the glass.

Smell is robust earthy and muddy with some slighly sour aspect to it. It is predominantyl hops and sometimes these double IPAs actually do have a good aamount of maltiness.

Taste wise there is some good maltiness upfront before the hops just take over completely. It has a very pure clean taste to it. The mouthfeel is a little on the sticky side and the carbonation could be a little more pronounced. Overall, a very smooth and drinkable IPA--the extra alcohol is quite well hidden.

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful deep golden color, with bubbles clinging to the glass as the head settles. Not much lacing, but you cant drink lacing, so who cares?!?!

Smells pretty good, like a toned down Dreadnaught. Pine, tropical fruits, toffee. This is gonna be a treat.

First sip is really good, reminds me a bit of Dreadnaught. Some of the same characteristics -- pine, mangoes, floral hops, maybe apricots....sticky sweet taste without being TOO sweet....Buttery is a good word here. The taste isnt as strong as a Dread, but its definately delicious and in the same ballpark, IMO, and the best DIPA Ive had in quite a while. This one holds its own very well..

Mouthfeel: It TASTES like a heavy, syrupy DIPA, but it doesnt FEEL like a heavy, syrupy DIPA. That being said, this has a near perfect mouthfeel for the style, and it goes down all too easy. Excellently crafted beer.

Drinkability is quite high, and alcohol forgets to make an appearance in the taste. At only (only?!?!) 8% ABV, I could knock back a couple of bombers with ease. And I want to. The trouble is, I only have one.

BIG props to westsidethreat for sending me this excellent beer. Cheers, brother! And to the beer guys over at FBG, if I were you, Id do whatever it took to get the Lord of the Sky to send you one of these. Its that good. :thumbup:

:banned:

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip.

A - Pours an orangish amber color with a small, but resilient head. It just keeps on lasting and lasting and lasting.

S - I'm not a religious guy, but I think I just saw god. Perfect on the nose. Reminds me of Pliny the Elder. Sweet tangerines melding with pine and some grassy scents popping through as well. This is a beautiful smelling beer.

T - Very nice as well. Not as hoppy as I expected from the smell, but very well balanced. Piney hops are the star here, and they start things off, paving the way to a vibrant caramel sweetness. Finishes with a bit more of pine and citris, but sweet at the same time. Very, very good.

M - Perfect.

D - One of the most drinkable double IPAs I have ever sampled. Many thanks to westsidethreat. I love you man. :sniff: This shit is awesome. Reminds me of all the DIPAs that I enjoy more than sex. Dreadnaught, Goose Island, Pliney. Easily up there with all of them. Great stuff.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Vibrant golden color, crystal clear. Thousands of bubbles violently fight their way to the top where a huge pillowy off white head plumes over the glass awaiting them.

S: Sugary grapefruit, fresh squeezed OJ and some lemon zest. Bit'o pine in there but it gets lost in the citrus.

T: An immediate buttery grapefruit flavor. Literally, imagine grapefruit flavored butter and this might cover it. Very unique, came out of leftfield. From there a sweet biscuit backbone slides along before the bittering hops show themselves. Mind you that gorgeous buttey flavor has not left...and will not leave...and will become more pronounced as the beer warms. The aftertaste finally showcases the pine that had been hiding among the citrus hops...slowly lingers into a crescendo where the pine and now strawberry malt flavors meet/greet then fade away...

M: Full bodied and creamy for such an aggresively hopped beer.

D: How often do you drink an IPA or DIPA that stands out as something different? Thats what I'm saying.

Crisp, refreshing with enough alcohol to remind you who's boss. Aesthetically phenomenal, aromatically arousing with a taste that stops you dead in your tracks.... Great friggin beer.

I can not believe how easilly this 22oz went down.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Lou91 for this gem. Powerful, bold and complex hop aroma,reminds me of the first time I inhaled Dreadnaught, you could keep your nose in that glass all day, wonderful fullbodied malt hop combination like you bit into a sweetened grapefruit/orange with a beautiful tongue coating bitterness that urged you to contemplate the artist skills of the brewmaster. Amongst my top 5 IIPA's

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a pint glass at O'Brien's had a light amber glow with a 1/2 inch of white foam. Nice light lace after each sip.

It smells exactly like the name it's given, and then even a wee bit hoppier. Fresh piney hops, truck loads of em...that's what you smell here.

The flavor...you guessed it, HOPS-a-plenty! Very nice, mildly sweet introduction, only to be put out visciously by the bittering of some serious hopping here. Gotta admit though, it tastes great, very well done!

Decent body with the alcohol burried under the hoppiness, this stuff goes down easier than water (especially SD tap-water). Highly recommend, especially to mega-hopheads...heres to you!

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Arrives at the table with a clear medium amber body and a white head that leaves good lacing behind

Smell: Another grapefruity aroma from sunny San Diego

Taste: Starts out rather fruity but that is followed by nice bitter flavors; nicely balanced

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A very nice, well-structured IPA

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer pours a pale orange-tea color with a nice pillowy off-white head that nearly looks like the meringue of a country pie. The aroma consists of pine, pine, and more pine. But amazingly enough, it is mouthwatering! This is one fine beer with the first taste. And dissecting the second taste more closely reveals a biscuit backbone of malts and the hops are done perfectly portraying citrus and piney earth tones. Beautiful! This beer is light to medium bodied and finishes with a complexity rarely noticed by me, which is it is both dry and watery sweet at the end of each swallow. (?)...I'm puzzled too, but I like it! And despite it's 'pure hoppiness' and abv, it's drinkability is surprisingly high.

Notes: Very, very nice! I don't consider myself a hophead, but I could go back to this beer again and again. Thanks xlperro for this offering. I owe you!

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

The epitome of what a Double IPA should be. This is my go to DIPA whenever I am in San Diego. The scent is pure hops, very piney, a little citrusy. Taste is also piney, hops hops hops, but man what a balanced beer this is! I can drink this all day long, easily one of the smoothest brews I have ever had. This is what I compare every DIPA I taste to, and I wish I could get it more often up here in LA. Fortunately, I head down to SD on a weekly basis, and enjoy this frequently at O'Brien's and the Liar's Club. I preach the gospel of this brew to every hophead I meet, and dub this a "must try" if it ever crosses your path.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks go to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this gem. We split this while watching the Super Bowl.

Appearance: A cloudy straw colored pour with orange tinge emerges from the bomber with a thick and sudsy white cap.

Smell: A wonderful citrus hop aroma with a touch of sweet malt. The hops are poppin' and I'm loving it! What a great fresh citrus aroma on this one...

Taste: Orange juice, lemon zest, grapefruit...hop oils galore!! A nice malty carmel base to balance it out. This is what I think of when it comes to West Coast IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Medium and oily, slightly dry and puckering. Not harsh but lively and enjoyable.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Lovely nectar it is. One of the better IPAs I've had in a while. Outstanding indeed.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer arrived and was a crystal clear toasted golden elixir. Topped with a nice bone colored head of fine bubbles that left an awesome amount of lacing. The smell is rather modest, light in the hop area with only hints of pine, there is something also slightly sweet as well. Perhaps the aroma of Sweet-tarts candy. The taste is a hops explosion and yet that sweetness is still there, hanging around. Pronounced piney hop bite in the finish. This is also slightly drying at the same time. Medium bodied, and medium carbonation with a nice full mouthfeel. Worth tracking down.

3.97/5  rDev -9.4%

Big ole double duecer pours into my glass with a slightly hazy light peach hue offering topped off with a settled spotty ivory head cap containing a few scant tiny bubbles rising up to meet the surface.

Piney resin nose with a grassy note. Malt balance is reserved with a mostly grapefruit nose.

First swigs: Flavor mirrors the nose somewhat with a piney hop flavor met with a citrus grapefruit and grapefruit peel. Orange juice sizzle. A slight Tang drink and some Spree candy notes. No detctable heat. I am talking ZERO!

Feel is spritzy, slightly easy medium feel with a bit of a thin body. Not to a fault.

Last swigs: Thanks to fellow BA NeroFiddled for the generous bottle. In case you can't get your hands on this hoppy dish, it reminds me a bit of Hop Wallop.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm so excited to taste this beer. I smelled the cap after opening this and it was bursting with succulent hop, brilliant and drawing me in. I am pumped. It pours a solid golden color with a finger of head that falls to a sparse coating over top. Right where I want the color. Nose is so sweet and citrusy. The combination between the sweet hop and the caramel malt sweetness really comes across as spun sugary goodness. Flavor hits me with a tease of bitterness before swallowing. This is followed immediately by incredible sweet grapefruity American hop and caramel malt. It finishes nice and sweet with a moderate bitterness that hangs on just enough to balance. Feel is right between moderate and thick with a light-moderate carbonation. Very nice. Absolutely no hint of the 8% in this beer. Flavor really has balance. This beer is in harmony with itself. Its not something to gulp, but also not something that keeps you from enjoying it at a nice clip. I am a fan. Good call Lou.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

edit: just realized the beer at the Strong Ale Fest was Anniversary Pure Hoppiness - so that is the beer reviewed here:

This is one of the highlights from the San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

The hop nose hits you instantly: very floral, slight pine and citrus tones. The pour was perfect: a frothy laced head topped the golden colored ale. The hop bite is substantial, but the taste is well-balanced. It has a nice creaminess that masks the 8% ABV, making it potential dangerous – I could see myself drinking this all day.

I need to find a vendor where I can load up on some of these bottles or make a trip to the brewery myself.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to KingG for this one...
Pours a super clear copper color with a full finger of thick, bright white head that sticks around forever...the lacing is thick and has tremendous cling to the side of my snifter glass.
Huge fruity hops in the nose...mainly grapefruit and citrus and a subtle sweetness to balance it out.
The taste is great...a hefty malt backbone to counteract the huge bitter profile in this one...finishes pretty clean and the alcohol is well hidden for 8%, but does make an appearance in the last few swigs.
Mouthfeel is less than average for the style, but still not too thin...it is where I like to see my IPA's at.
Carbonation is where I like to see it and the finish is quite dry...very drinkable, as the bomber disappears very quickly.
A solid first for me from Alpine and worth seeking out.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

The nose was so good that my mouth watered sniffing the cap. A hoplovers air freshener. Big beautiful grapefruit and caramel nose. Bright white head. I was craving a big rich IPA and this delivered. All the qualities you look for – complex and dominant hops, long hop bitterness in the aftertaste, and a thoroughly satisfying crisp clean drinkability. The body was a couple of notches above a normal IPA but not quite a douple IPA. This is more like a 1.5x IPA vs. a double.Although you can drink this all day, I took my time over an hour drinking the 22oz and it was great to sip a little at a time. Ah, hops are good. A rare find at Ledger's.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11/19/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA

Presentation- 22oz undated bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden with a touch of cloudyness. Small bits of sediment float around. Nice lacing as well as a 3/4 inch white head.

Smell- Pleasant scent of fruity and pine hops. Not really much of a malt smell though.

Taste- Malt does come through nicely in the taste. Fairly dark malt leads to a mid range bitterness from the hops. Mostly citrus...grapefruit and orange with bits of pine tastes on every few sips.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation level that leaves a semi bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- Very nice DIPA. Glad I snagged a few while I could.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Took a trip down to the Alpine Beer Co. Had a few tasters, and picked a couple 22oz. PH bottles. Also picked up a bottle of "Great" their barlywine.

Trip was well worth it, met the brewer's son and wife, very nice people. I'll be making a trip out there again.

Anyways back to the beer,

As soon as I popped that bad boy I could smell the intense amount of hops even before I poured it into my tulip glass.

Poured a bright golden honey color. Thin white fizzy head. Quite a bit of carbonation.

My god what an awesome hop aroma, as if I was burying my face in pure hops, awesome! Very citusy and grassy almost pine.

Night crips taste, very nice strong hop finish. Grapefruit like bitterness. Not so bold that it is unbalanced, actually it's very balanced. Pine like bitterness left on the tongue.

One of my favorite beers, finally got it in bottle form Awesome!

Cheers!

4.44/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer pours a nice golden yellow color with an off white head. The head is fluffy. It fades quickle leaving a lot of laces. This beer smells very hoppy. It smells piney. It has a slight citrus aroma also. I cant detect much malt aroma. The alcohol is hard to detect also, but it is there if you look. This beer tastes hoppy. Very hoppy. It has a piney, earthy taste to it. It has a slightly citrusy taste also. I can not detect much in the way of malt flavor. This beer is mainly just bitter. It is very refreshing. It is a full bodied, aggressive beer, but I think that it is very enjoyable. It leaves a piney aftertaste. This beer has just the right amount of carbonation. This beer might not be the best session beer if you are not fond of the style. The aggressive flavor might wear a little thin on some drinkers. This beer is a very good Double IPA. It is well worth any effort you might have to take to get it.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Medium-bronze body with striking clarity. Creamy light tan collar of foam with a floral hoppy nose (!). This poorly named IPA implies all hops and no backbone...but the reality of the situation is this; Without the structure of base malt, this brew would simply be another over-hopped Left Coast IPA.

Pine dominates the inhale and entry is smooth with an initial hop-bite quickly brushed back by a sturdy backbone of quality malt. Mouthfeel is near perfect and the finish is clean with a BAHB (Big ass hop bite) followed by a beautiful fade from one of my new found hop bombs.

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance and Presentation – 22 oz bomber from oggg. The beer pours a rather light, hazy yellow-orange. The creamy, white head stays around for a few minutes eventually falling to nothing and leaves great lacing. There is also almost no visible carbonation.

Smell – Pungent lemon pine combo. Very resinous, a real hop bomb. There may be a hint of sweet malt way off in the distance, but it’s faint. Alcohol shows up a bit as the beer warms along with a touch of floral.

Taste – Bitterness up front that transforms into a variety of hop flavors, citrus and pine in particular. Not much balance from the malt. Complex hop flavor, but the malt is lacking. The final pour had a bit of yeast which added some nice earthiness to the beer.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel is medium-full with light prickly carbonation, smooth.

Drinkability and Notes – A lighter malt presence than most means that this is a very drinkable beer. It’s a solid DIPA, but it doesn’t have the malt profile to make it standout from the pack. Great hops, and if that’s all you look for in an IPA, this one is for you.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company