Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,258
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,317 | Reviews: 685
4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter - 2007 Bottling - Cellar temp.

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy golden orange and yellow color with a half inch head. The head has mediocre retention and some lace. Bubbles are soapy and vary in size. Lots of clingy lace after each sip, which builds and builds.

Smell: A very crisp and floral hop aroma. Grassy and fresh, reminiscent of Double Simcoe. Lavender, grapefruit, sweet basil and honey suckle. Very nice.

Taste: Bitter hop resins are everywhere in a lot of flavors. Fresh grassy flavors run rampant with notes of grapefruit, fresh celery and other earthy freshness of green veggies. Malt background, lingering bitterness. Not too sweet!

Mouthfeel: Quite bitter, but not unpleasant. Creamy and pinchy with a slickness that keeps you drinking. The lack of heavy sugars makes it more quenching than most DIPAs.

Drinkability: Very light and drinkable for a DIPA. Very balanced for a pronounced flavor profile that it has. A great beer. Easy to quaff. Highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: This is a good looking beer out of the glass. It pours a copper tangerine color with a foamy white head. Decent retention on the head, with a smattering of sticky lace coating the glass on the way down.

Smell: This nose just pops and drives my olfactory system nuts. I can't even place the primary aroma exactly, but I get a cotton candy-like sugary sweetness, some honey, pure cane sugar, a touch of caramel, and oh yea, a ton of hops. Sugary grapefruit, some floral hops, and pine really control the nose.

Taste: Light sweet caramel malt, some light biscuity malt, and then an explosion of hops. Hops in the boil turn into a dank flavor, while candy grapefruit, a floral burst from the nose, and a touch of sticky pine finishes the hop bill out. This is a hop bomb, and it is fantastic. Finishes bitter.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth, juicy yet dry at the finish, medium carbonation in a slightly fuller than medium body, and I walk away thinking about how creamy this feels.

Drinkability: Just amazing, there is not more that needs to be said about it.

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%

Clear light golden yellow with slow and steady carbonation bubbles within; a firm finger high head of off-white froth gradually fades, lace in good amounts of webby strings.

Puree of hops on the nose! Mega resin filled, alpha acidic, sour citric acids, highly floral sweet and ripe with super fresh zest of grapefruit rinds, lime skins, lemon peels, tangerine, apricot, and the presupposed presense of dryish pine coming through in a largely cedarific sweet sap dryness. Awesome hop nose! Oh my...

Taste has a soothingly mild sweet malt front which is misleading because quickly thereafter the hops build and build and engorge your mouth with cottony sour drying citric acids and juices that are loaded to the hilt bearing piney bitterness and alpha acid wonderment that lingrers for a time beyond time. This gives me the chills on how much after effects the hops have on the palate, wow! Reminds me alot of Rogue's Brutal Bitter which to this day had been my favorite late lingering palate buster. This equals it if not surpasses it due to a bit more complexitiy in the citric bite. Wonderful hop profile, it has a complexing crescendo and contour with all sorts of mixed and super fresh citrusy peels and juices. Yum!

Super clean and fresh, piney, citric, borderline souring bitterness, and full bodied with a crisp drying bitter hop finish that twists your tonsils and blankets your entire mouth, lips included. A purely delightful palate buster!
A big Ol' west coast love touch goes to xlperro for this mad bitch of a hop brew! Fuckin' Yum my man!

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Even better off the tap. The pour and the color were the same as the bottle version. The smell was a bit more pronounced with a little smoother hop scent than the bottle but just as good. The flavor and the mouthfeel were much better on tap. The malty middle came out much more and balanced the beer just enough to make it near-perfect, and the mouthfeel was much more creamy and easy going. A great beer indeed.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Pale hazed apricot hue with a large thicket of finely bubbled billowing off white head. Chunky textured rises up above the rim of my glass, aromatics play the part cutting through your senses with grapefruit pith, sweet baby aspirin tones and herbal grassiness. Sweet sugar coated hops come through with a strong long lived bitterness this is West Coast IPA. I actually enjoy the diacetyl put forth in these beers, I don't see it as an off flavor just a nice complimentary flavor compared to most other big hoppy beers out there. I'm thoroughly impressed with the three IPAs I've had thus far. Big brash bitter but balanced with a nice biscuit breadiness/buttered bread really comforting malt profile with herbaceous, spicy hops and citrus grapefruit pith. Pretty incredible tasting IPA, I'm glad to have the opportunity to try these brews. This is rounded out from front to back hop flavor hits the palate oily slick with resin, medium to fuller bodied soft fluffy carbonation gotta love this stuff. Inredible drinkability compared to most big hoppy ales, this one is full of finesse. My friend and brother may have to make a pilgrimage out to this brewery someday in the near future, we all love these beers. Outstanding effort, I plan to imbibe more of these and possibly an Exponential Hoppiness to one up this one.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

On tap at O'Briens in SD.

Pours a nice almost glowing orange with a nice frothy head. Lacing all the way down the glass.

Smells nice and hoppy. Really nice hop smell.

Taste is pretty awesome. Almost like elder but a little less hoppy. I wish there was more. Hop flavor but I'm spoiled.

Mouthfeel seems like it could use more carbonation. Very good otherwise.

Overall a very wonderful beer but if given the choice I would take Pliny the elder. But often you don't have that choice so I would drink this over many beers on tap.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Alpine Beer Company - Pure Hoppiness

Poured into DFH IPA glass, I snagged a few Alpine brews from a friend, I was quite excited to try this brew, and the excitement was more than justified!

Look - Pours a hazy golden amber with a massive soapy head that dissipates at a medium pace. Lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Good balance of honey sweet malts and forward hops that consists of some citrus, some slight floral, and big pine and resin. Mouth-watering aroma.

Taste - Rich, creamy honey malt and then a kick of spice followed up by forward resin hops. I'm usually not a fan of something this malt forward but I'll be damned, they really pulled this off well!

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel is slightly sticky sweet but not overly cloying. Glorious hop bitter resiny pine. Not overly boozy, great drinkability.

Overall - Sweetness kicked in the face with hops makes for pure hoppiness, get it? Stellar brew! Highly recommend!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden amber pour, soapy white head,nice lacing.

Aroma is plenty hoppy with a noted sweetness in there from the malts. There would have to be a good sized malt bill to tame this well hopped IIPA, but the question always remains whether it takes over in the flavor department. Dry hopping seems to step the hop aroma up giving it the edge over the malts.

Taste is nicely balanced: citrus & piney hop content with a definite malt sweetness present. Pure Hopiness rides the balance beam of hoppy/malty perhaps more than any IIPA I have tasted, and presses the limits of what I can handle for malty sweetness without overdoing it
(3F Permanent Funeral fits in that category also).

Mouthfeel is medium, a little slick, soild carbonation. The hops duke it out with the malts and win the battle on a split decision.

Of the 3 Alpine bombers I have tried thus far, Duet is my favorite, followed by Pure Hoppiness, then Nelson. A great IIPA that comes solidly recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a very nice strong golden color with some orange and amber hues. Oily like pour. There is a nice .25 inch head that is nice and white with slight ivory hints and pretty dense and small bubbles. It recedes slowly but then again its a smaller head.

S - Delicious citrus hops and grapefruit sweetness with some mild honey-suckle aroma. Slight grainy malt. Great pine like aroma almost Christmas tree strong but very appealing. The grassy hop aroma is soooo fresh almost like there are hop cones in the bottle.

T - Wow delicious hop explosion in the mouth! Citrus orange and grapefruit peel as well as delicious sweetness from these fruits. In the middle there is a nice pale malt biscuit flavor that is well balanced along with the hoppiness. To me this flavor attains 99.99% perfection. Great dry citrus feel on the back end that is bitter and deliciously refreshing. As the beer warms there is some nice alcoholic warmth and spice. Perfect addition to other flavors.

M - A bit on the light side but still very delicious, crisp and oily. Clean flavors that are very distinct and pop out. One of the best DIPA's in my book.

D - Refreshing and delicious. ABV is not too crazy.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm so excited to taste this beer. I smelled the cap after opening this and it was bursting with succulent hop, brilliant and drawing me in. I am pumped. It pours a solid golden color with a finger of head that falls to a sparse coating over top. Right where I want the color. Nose is so sweet and citrusy. The combination between the sweet hop and the caramel malt sweetness really comes across as spun sugary goodness. Flavor hits me with a tease of bitterness before swallowing. This is followed immediately by incredible sweet grapefruity American hop and caramel malt. It finishes nice and sweet with a moderate bitterness that hangs on just enough to balance. Feel is right between moderate and thick with a light-moderate carbonation. Very nice. Absolutely no hint of the 8% in this beer. Flavor really has balance. This beer is in harmony with itself. Its not something to gulp, but also not something that keeps you from enjoying it at a nice clip. I am a fan. Good call Lou.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Picked up a 22oz bomber for $6.99 at Olive Tree Market here in OB and poured it into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a pretty clean (especially for a Double IPA), slight amber, golden hue with a nice fluffy white head that sticks around for a few sips, leaving massive amounts of lace from start to finish.

S: Fresh and hoppy - extremely resinous pine and citrus backed by a bit of sweet malt and slight booziness. The hop aroma is amazing and by far one of the nicest smelling IPA's around.

T: Wow - being a lover of hoppy beers, this one takes the cake! Super grassy, resinous hop, strong citrus flavor with a bit of sweet roasted malt at the end that balances out the hop perfectly without being too prevalent. I like that the malt is not overdone on this one, as many of the other Double IPA's out there are.

M: Medium bodied, sticky, smooth and well carbonated with small vigorous bubbles that roll across the palate perfectly.

D: Too easy to drink - at 8% ABV, they'll get on top of you quick though.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I picked up this bottle a few months back and it was my second time trying this tastey brew from Alpine. I poured the beer from a brown 22oz bottle into my HopCat snifter. It pours with a generous two fingers of head that has a good amount of retention and lacing evern after the first 5 or so drink. The beer pours a bright orange color, almost reminds me of a less cloudy american wheat in color. The carbonation is pretty pronounced on this ale which I really like because it really gets the sweet citrus and hop smell right up into you nose during every drink and I love to smell my beer while I drink it. Overall, the beer smells more malty than hoppy, but this may be as complex a smell as I have every smelt with a DIPA. Smells citrusy, hoppy, malty sweetness with an earthy undertone....in one word delicious. The taste is much the same. It doesn't blow you out of the water with hop bitterness, instead it seems to have a boat load of flavor and aroma hops that make the beer tast absoloutely devine. The mouthfeel is light and appropriate for the beer. This is one hell of a DIPA, one of the best I've had, and unlike most I feel like I could drink bottle after bottle and not get tired of this brew. Its scarry that its 8% ABV and I think they should change the name to A Hoppy Night in Jail, cause thats what could happen. One final note, I enjoyed this beer the first time I had it more due to the fact that it was fresh. This bottle is about 4 months old and its starting to loose its charm, but still a tremendous offering from Alpine!

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Aroma: Dank hop resin, pine, orange, lemon, grapefruit, a little mango, a little bread malts, and a little sweet malts, smells absolutely superb! 5

Appearance: A nice really clear, yellow, orange, amber, color mix that leaves a very creamy kooky head that lasts for a long time, leaves some nice lacing as well. 4.25

Taste: Wow! From the aroma you're expecting a hop bomb, you get a hop bomb but it is slightly tame and not incredibly over done and it's brilliant. Loads of pine, lemon, orange, grapefruit, hints of mango, mixed with a slight sweet and bread malt. Superbly balanced and complex, this really is a great DIPA! 4.75

Palate: Incredibly light, crisp, refreshing, the flavor profile lingers awhile and it slowly overtakes the perfect amount of bitterness, leaves your mouth a little dry which leaves you craving for more! 5

O: This is an incredible DIPA and IMO contends with the best of the best! 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

First off, I didn't take notes when I tasted this beer. But it is quite memorable so hopefully that'll be sufficient. From what I remember it was a fine clear light amber color. What was most outstanding was the amazing aroma that simply exploded with hoppy goodness. The body was nicely balanced with sweet maltiness and it finished as spectacularly as it started. This is a beautiful beer.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Picked this one up at the brewery just up the road. The brewery is supper small, about the size of a large 3 car garage and it is crammed in there. Worth the trip though since alpine beer is very hard to find even 20 minutes up the road in San Diego.

Wonderful golden color off the tap. Nice little froth on top, creamy in color. Clear as it gets for an IPA and just begs to be drank.

Hops to the 100th degree hear. So much citrus and flower hints you can hardly stand it. Lots of orange and lime along with the fruity flower smell. It simply reaks of hops. Almost smells like rasta herb when you really breath deep, it is so nice.

Wow, all those smells simply explode into your mouth. Not for those who arent used to big hoppy beers. Bitterness is way less than you expect but it is there, balanced well with the malts that are used. Pure hoppiness is an accurate descripter. TONS of slighlty tart citrus. so nice.

The only true downside to me is the mouthfeel when you drink a couple. The excessive hops lead to an almost oily mouthfeel, more so than alot of other double IPAs I have had. Mouthfeel reminds me of drinking from the terrapinator from Terrapin brewing company.

Very drinkable and make for good beer to impress friends with. If you find it buy all they will let you. Every place I have found it limits the amount you can buy, even at the brewery. As of Sept 2007 you can buy 6-22oz at the brewery but as many growlers as you like. Just watch out if you drink several pints as the slick feeling in your mouth compounds.

This one is in my personal top 5 easy!

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Pure Hoppiness is the perfect name for this beer. For all you hop heads out there....this is the one! Immediately after popping the cap off the pungent hop aroma overwhelms the senses. As stated before, this beer smells like "bud" (you know what I'm talking about). I wish my wife could find potpourri in this scent. The brew pours a nice golden color with a thick off-white head. I was amazed at how the head stuck on the sides of my pint glass throughout my drinking excursion. A lowly amateur might complain at the excessive amount of hops used to make this beer. Not me!! I also liked the fact that this beer wasn't as heavy as most hoppy IPAs. Light, crisp, and very easy to drink.

The king recommends drinking this beer with a hot pastrami sandwich (with extra pickles)

4.73/5  rDev +8%

This one came in what seems to be a never ending BIF with my main man BeerTruth. Most people don't think too much about upstate NY when it comes to beer, but let me tell you it’s a beer utopia for me. BT sends me box after box loaded with the best the US has to offer. He is a great guy/trader that I can't say enough about. I had never heard of this beer but he loved it and sent me his last bottle that tells you the kind of guy he is. Enough with the man crush... On to the BEER!

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice thick two finger head. The head lingers forever and produces beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.... which by the way was sent to me by none other than BeerTruth I told you he kicks a$$.

S: A huge floral bouquet of a nose. It is a perfect battle between citrus and pine. Fresh cut grass wafts from the glass along with a nice sweet rock candy type malt. This beer begs you to taste it.

T: And as for the taste boy does it pull thru. I would call this a perfectly crafted IPA as opposed to a DIPA, but I am not going to take away any points for that. The balance between malt and hops is divine. You are immediately blasted by the flavor of citrus and pine along with a sweetness reminiscent of state fair cotton candy which arrives on the scene to sweeten it out. What you get is a beer that is balanced like no other.

M: Medium bodied and filling. There is a perfect level of carbonation to make this one a true winner.

D: It's drinkable. I sucked each and every last drop from the bottle.

Overall: BeerTruth please give me your supplier so I don't have to keep stealing your last bottle. This beer is liquid cocaine. I love it! I dream of taking a couple bombers of this beer to the beach on a hot summer Florida afternoon and watching the world pass me by. If you are looking for a hop bomb to assault your senses go with Ruination, but if you are looking for a perfectly crafted true West Coast style IPA this is the one. The balance is uncanny, and the taste suburb.

The bottle says drink Alpine Ale or Go To Bed. I think I will drink Alpine Ale and go to bed. It's a wonderful beer that is worthy of its top 100 rating.

One last shout out to BeerTruth...Thanks Bro! You are what this website is all about.

From 22 oz bomber to tulip glass

A: Pours a yellow-orange, fairly clear, forming a fluffy, cavernous, 2-inch head. Kinda resembles the surface of the moon. Head is really sticky, lacing everywhere.

S: Good lord, the hops! A big rush of citrusy, vibrant hop aromas fill the nose, even on a tiny sniff. Sugar-sweet grapefruit against freshly cut pine. A dollop of honey and alcohol round out the bouquet. Fresh and clean.

T: The taste follows the smell, but the big malt character suggested by the honey is right there in the front of the sip. Honeybread balances fresh pine, grapefruit and lemon. As the sip progresses, alcohol adds some spice, but just a touch. Citrusy tones bend tropical, with a note of butter. The piny edges of the hops begin to dominate and the beer becomes quite astringent and bitter, but the huge malt-backbone never lets things get out-of-whack. Big pronounced flavors, perfectly balanced. Finishes bitter-sweet and satisfying.

M: Smooth, velvety, a little oily. Plenty of carbonation keeps the palate clean. Rich, full-bodied complexion.

D: As easy to drink as you're going to get for a DIPA. The ale is so well balanced, it soon forms a singular flavor. Really hard to stop drinking this, but expect BIG.

Notes: Easily one of my favorite beers, and probably the only rival to Pliny the Elder. It's too simplistic to call it a hop-bomb - yeah, they crammed a crapload of hops in here, but there's plenty of everything else. I'll be drinking this as long as they brew it.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Another great offering from Alpine Beer Company!

Very similar to the Duet IPA in appearance. A thick, one inch worth of head is produced upon the medium amber hue. Lacing just sticks to the glass.

Prominent tropical fruit/floral aroma with some undertones of pine and citrus fruits. Very pleasant, mellow, and fresh aroma.

Taste echoes the nose quite nicely. Very balanced with just enough malt presence to keep the hops in check. Absolutely no harshness or excessive lingering from the hops, and packed with tropical fruit and pine flavor.

Creamy, medium/high carbonation that just envelopes the mouth. It is almost too good to swallow.

Highly sip-able and coupled with the fresh hop flavor and creamy mouthfeel makes this DIPA's drinkability impressive to say the least.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed this earlier with a good BA buddy, CooperEllis. Review's from notes while I wait for the woman to arrive before we head to this show... (which was epic, and now I'm finishing the review).

The appearance is a little murky but otherwise a very nice light amber with lovely head and solid lacing. It smells citrusy, sweet, and also features caramel malts. The taste is the same, and isn't totally hopped out. Pleasantly balanced and totally complete without a single element popping out at you.

Decent carbonation sits in the medium body and keeps this beer straight while you drink it. And as well composed as it is, I'd be in serious danger if this were available off the shelves. Totally perfect balance for me. Hands down. I'd keep it flowing like water.

Too bad I had to split a bomber.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

If you're content with grabbing a six-pack of mega-brew from your local convenience store, quit reading this now. If, however, you've somehow become addicted to the flowers of the Humulus lupulus, you may have finally met your match. Alpine Beer Company has raised the bar for hop aroma, nose, mouthfeel and aftertaste. Opening a bottle of Pure Hoppiness is like spraying an aromatherapy can around you -- except instead of lavender and jasmine, the air becomes filled with a citrusy-floral aroma which invites you to investigate and discover the pot of gold at the end of the brown glass bottle. And the smell is such a tease when compared to the smooth ultra-hopped flavor of the beer itself. Mildly malty, well-carbonated with a pale yellow color, this beer is pure homage to the hop.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

A: DFH snifter. pours a wonderful vibrant orange color. nice white head with a low retention rate and a fair amount of lacing.

S: wonderful citrus aroma, with a little pine in the back of the nose. some slight apple aromas from the malts.

T: really well-balanced DIPA. I can't pull what hops are in this, but I get tons of citrus hop flavors with a sweet earthy flavor in the back of the palate that lingers for a while. Wonderful sweet malts to blend in the hop flavors perfectly.

M: ridiculously smooth DIPA, very clean and crisp, with a mild carbonation rate.

D: smooth, and appears to be mellow flavor-wise. this is really close to perfection for the style. well worthy of a try if you can get some.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%

My lovely wife picked up a growler for me and the boys....awesome!

A- Pours a clear bright golden elixir with a huge fluffy white head. Multuple slow streamers. Essentially, looks like a perfect beer.

S- The name says it all. Straight piney hops with some sweet apricot in the end.

T- Piney resin up front, with some subtle malt sweetness... you reaaly got wait for it. Fresh cut grass, grapefruit and pineapple in there.

M- Smooth, coats the mouth with great balancing carbonation.

D- Oh man, this is the cream of the crop. If you like anything about hops, you will fall in love with this. It is not over the top hops.... just right. This is on my top tier with Sculpin

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz poured into a pint glass.

A nice, 1" head with minimal lacing. It poured an orange color with a beautiful hoppy, floral aroma. Of course, citrus is king, both in the nose and on the tongue. The taste is amazing... a nice hop bite that finishes very dry. A little piney and pineappley to boot. This is the most quaffable DIPA I've ever had. Amazing beer from start to finish.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

S - An amazing bouquet of pine, citrus, hops, pineapple and everything you would expect from a wonderful WC DIPA.

T - Similar to smell, with an added burst of 'rusty' hops. An absolutely brilliant beer with a very clean finish. Almost Pliny worthy, but not quite. However, leaves me wanting another (I'll call this the "pliny effect.")

Notes: This is my second Alpine beer. My only other was a Mandarin Nectar which I found incredibly refreshing after a day at the beach. When I purchased this beer I also bought a Duet and Nelson - reviews to come.

Edit: I just had this beer again (2/18/11) and it is friggin' amazing.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company