Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,217
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours deep golden with thick two-finger head that dissipates rapidly. Good lacing. Aromas of tropical fruit, citrus, grass and a slight whiff of soap. Sweet malt hits the palate first, followed by earthy, citrusy hops. Soapy and astringent finish (and aftertaste). Medium body with light carbonation. Overall, a decent imperial IPA, balanced and well crafted but the astringent finish and soapy aftertaste diminish its drinkability.

3.78/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a dark golden color with a medium sized, white head that left nice sticky lacing on the glass. Resiny, piney, green and citrus hop aroma. Taste is very bright, limes, lemons, citrus grapefruit. Light malts to balance it all out. Decent, but I would reach for the Expo Hoppiness first, if I had the chance.

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Clear straw orange color with a nice fluffy 2 finger head.

S - Earthy piney grassy hops mostly. Although a significant citurs presence as well. Smells great if you like hops. I do. So there you go.

T - Hop salad. Like the aroma there is piney spruce hop flavors & plenty of grapefruit, tangerine, citrus flavors as well. Oily & yummy. Balanced? You have to seek out the malt flavors. That's fine though.

M - Medium feel. Medium carbonation. Dry & somewhat thin feeling to me.

D - Drinkability is high. I could down these all day.

Tasy brew. I'm a hop lover, so I like the somewhat one deminsional taste. That's not a knock.

3.83/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a bomber into an Indian Wells pint glass.

This beer is picture-esque, seriously, got a little less than an inch of a foam creamy looking head. A little off white but not by much it dissipastes evenly and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Awsome coloring on the brew itself, it seriously reminds me of a pale ale like sierra nevada, clear, pristine, golden when held up to the light.

The nose is most definitely ipa, although dipa I'm not too sure about. For sure of the sweeter variety but I mean it can't be only the malt giving it that aroma. I get citrus, sweet sugary smooth dankness, and a tad of bitter pine in there, we'll see what ensues in the flavor!

The flavor is there, it delivers on the nose, and reverses the order of ranking of sweet and bitter I got initially. So that basically means that this guy is mellow. It's got the malt to balance for sure, makes it smooth and sweet in the back of the mouth and on the swallow. But when you're thinking critically, the initial hoppy bitter ipa flavoring is there.

Solid feeling in the mouth, thick enough due to the malt and very smooth due to the sweeter hops used for the swallow.

To me, this brew is smooth, and fresh, not over the top hoppy but definitely not to be underestimated as a flagship beer of the american ipa style. I honestly think its in the wrong catagory by being called an imperial ipa because I just don't think it fits the bill.

Of course, that is extremely knitpicky which in the long run is pretty inconsequential. This is a good beer, good rep of the american ipa style. If you love ipa and can't get enough of the gnarly ones then this is probably not the beer for you but if you're a beer lover and like Ipa as a style then try this bad boy out!

3.83/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks to goodspeed94 for sending this my way in addition to allsorts of other great hoppy stuff, knocking a few nice ones off my wants. Looking forward to this one. Hop on!

Looks like an IPA. Smells like an IPA. Lots of hops in the nose.

Pine in the mouth that I really like in an IPA, but not quite as aggressive to make the top tier. The hops have quite a punch! I can feel my taste buds slowly withering on the vine. Nice & creamy, with a very appealing virtue. Despite the middling-high ABV, I could certainly have a few of these bellied up to the bar.

Very good beer. Doesn't reach my top-tier, but I'd never turn one down!

3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

Big thank you to Scottfrie for sending this beer to me. Poured 22oz bottle into gulden draak snifter.

A- Pours dark amber, copper in color. Slight haze with a white head. Lacing sticks to the glass nicely.

S- Lots of hop aromas going on here. Citrus and grapefruit jump out the most. Just keeps going all the way to the end.

T- More malts come through at the beginning here which was unexpected. Quickly turns to a burst of hop bitterness. Citrus hop flavor comes out the most. Some piney, grassy hops mixed in too. Bitterness and hops fade at the end. A little sweet at the end as well.

M- Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Oily in the mouth.

O- Interesting beer for sure. With the hop aromas, wasn't expecting that taste to it. Still a very good beer. Would drink another one easily.

3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

Pure Hoppiness
Double IPA
Alpine Beer Company
8% ABV
OG 1.072
22 oz. with no dates into a Bell's tulip. Thanks BulbMan!

Hay golden and amber with an excellent off white head. Hazy towards the bottom of the bomber. Moderate head retention and moderate lacing. Nothing spectacular but good nonetheless.

I have had Pure Hoppiness before, and all I could think was dank, grass, cannabis etc. etc. Now, not so much! Fruity notes with a faint memory of what I loved --- clearly, this is not a fresh bottle, OR my nose is off. But, there's no way to know until the bottles are dated, so I am just going to go with AVERAGE here. Sorry Alpine. You probably don't care though.

The weediness is much more prominent in the taste, but still not UP there. Light and crisp with medium bitterness, this seems like a good IPA but not among the best; not by a long shot! The malts are there, but not as much as I'd like, and the beer feels rather watery. Taste is mostly dank and spicy, which could have been very good. However, in my humble opinion, the focus is on flavor and aroma much more than the actual bitterness, and I'd love to see how it drinks with part of the hop bill scheduled earlier in the boil. Still, not bad. Mouthfeel, as remarked has its shortcomings and could be more beer-y and less water-y.

Overall though, and especially with warmth, this beer comes to its own and drinks hoppy and easy. The green and wet character, along with the bitterness, is amplified and starts to delight more and more. However, I really feel that the ABV could be 2% lower. Really. A disappointment, but a mild one, and only so because of the high expectations, I believe.

Scores: Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 4/5; Mouthfeel 2.5/5; Overall 4/5

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Originally reviewed on September 14, 2006. 22 oz Bottle. Lucious sweet liquor of hops, licking my nose with Centennial piney resins. Full of swaying fresh grasses and grapefruit trees. Pour of an amber tinged pure gold, crowned with a rocky froth of off-white. Flavor is a delicious lightly creamy malt body, heavy with droopy eyelids of fresh white pine needles and a bough of aspen leaves. Dryly smacking of grass resin and freshly squeezed Valencia oranges. A drop of lemon juice and vodka sneak in. Mmmm hops. An well built IPA with great balance and body. I love the long draw of hoppy apple peels.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Special thanks to my friend Mike for procuring this bottle fresh for me from San Diego. Thanks, Mike.

The beer poured a deep golden color with a white lacing of head. The consistency of the head was wispy and foamy, not mouselike or creamy.

The aroma was a strong citrus smell, most likely a heavy contribution from Cascade hops. Beer bottle indicates the beer is run through a hopback but also dry hopped after primary fermentation.

I liked the taste, but it did not blow me away. The firmness of the hops was there, but there was a slight misrepresentation from the malt. Not by much though... this beer was obviously very well-crafted. It was clean, free of all off-flavors and impurities.

The beer was medium-bodied, which I think could of benefited from being medium to full-bodied.

Overall, it was definitely a drinkable brew. Probably not a beer I would seek out, but something that I could enjoy on any given night.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Sampled from a bottle purchased at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop.

A - Golden and clear with very little head.

S - Floral hops, toasted malt and yeast.

T - A nice citrusy bitterness partially offset by a semi-sweet malt contribution. There's some floral and citrusy hop flavor but this one leans more toward the bitterness. This is a good IPA but for me, not a great one.

M - Oily and silky consistency with a low carbonation.

D - A good beer and it grew on me more and more but it's just not up to the CA standard set by RR, Ballast Point and Stone.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Pure hoppiness is beer candy. It poors a nice light golden color with a decent head and slight lacing. Smells are of sweetness and hops with some orange and lemon. Decent smell with a good deal of hops and sweetness. It is sweet and citrusy up front with a hoppy finish. Very pleasant blend of flavors. This is a great ipa that is different from most I've tried.

Reviewed blind as part of the blind bif 7

Well after a cold from hell and then a pesky storm that we were lucky to skirt for the most part, I am ready to dip into my very generous box from quirkzoo that I received awhile ago. Inside were 12 hobo wrapped bottles and one very nice Crooked Stave shirt. The wait has been killing me but I wanted to hold off until this cold was gone so I could enjoy these beers.

1.a
Pours a golden orange with an inch of white foam that leaves some good lacing down the glass. Right off the bat the aroma of this one is very juicy. Lots of citrus hops and boy is it smelling divine! I don't want to stop smelling it. Its just too damn good.
Nice amount of bitterness but nothing that overtakes the flavor. Very resiny with a hint of soapiness. This is very drinkable. The flavor doesn't knock you over like the aroma does, but its very enjoyable. Very dry finish, sort of reminds me of plink the elder but I don't think its the right bottle for it.

1.b
Pours the same as 1A but a little darker and with just a little less amount of foam. The lacing is not as pronounced and sticky as 1A. In comparison to 1A this has a lot of the same citrusy notes but way more subtle. A little bit more of the malt comes through. Now this one seems a bit more ramped up in the flavor. There is a bigger malty backbone to it which helps bring the flavor of the hops forward. Less bitterness as well. Its thicker bodied than 1A as well.

So these seem to be two different beers, one seems like an IPA and the other a DIPA. Its neat to see how the higher the maltiness really seems to bring out the hops in the flavor while the other one is all aroma. Both of these beers are really good and I was in need of some good hops so these hit the spot. So lets see what I was drinking…

1A is Alpine Nelson
1B is Alpine Pure Hoppiness

I really wanted to guess Alpine on a hunch but never had, and both were wants in my book. Hell of a good start thanks to quirkzoo for a great start to this bif for me.

3.9/5  rDev -11%

this brew pours up a pale orange color with an off white head.... the nose is a very pure floral hop aroma.... the taste is pale matls, floral hops with a hole in it (? I was drunk when I wrote this)...I would like to try this again though if anyone wants to donate to the cause...

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Pours a deep golden bronze, topped with a beautiful inch of meringue-like white foam. I get more malt than I expected on the nose, but also a good amount of the expected citrusy and piney hops. On the palate, somewhat dry, with grapefruit, tangerine and pine, backed by a solid malt foundation. The alcohol is very present and noticeable, especially in the second glass.

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Thanks to Armand for trading this, looking forward to trying some Alpine. Bomber poured to Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a crystal clear coppery orange, white head starts at a little over a finger, retains nicely as a good cap and thick ring leaving some lacing.

Nose seems mostly pine/earth dominated..lighter fruit such as grapefruit and lemon. Onion-y presence grows with warmth.

Taste brings out a bit more strength in the fruit profile, grapefruit most noticeable along with some faint tropical notes (mango?). Floral, piny and herbally hops as well. Caramel malt is there but barely. Like the scent, a veggie presence pops up over some time.

Carbonation a bit on the high side, solid mouthfeel. Lots of hop flavors going on, not much malt presence but definitely not overly bitter, smooth.

A good DIPA for sure, but truthfully not great, nothing I would go out of my way to trade for again. Freshness may be a factor to that, but with no bottle date I can't say for sure.

3.9/5  rDev -11%

A- Pours a golden yellow hue with a 1.5 finger eggshell head which sits on top of this brew for quite a while.

S- Smell consists of extreme piney hoppiness with almost a grassy flare and a definite sweet, caramel malt backbone.

T- The hoppiness pretty much overides all else here but I guess thats what you should expect! Starts off with a blast of pine and moves into a wheaty breadiness with alcohol and bitterness intertwining at the end.

M- More viscous than your average DIPA with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- This is a huge hop bomb and I think it would be quite the stretch to say it is overly drinkable. I love hops and DIPAs but this one didn't quite do it for me.

Had a pint @ O'Brien's on 1/7/10

A - Golden color with a small ring of head. No real lacing of note left on my glass, which i found surprising for an IPA from Alpine.

S - floral and grassy hop notes. There are some light citrus aromas too; possibly navel oranges. A sweet malt backbone balances the hops out.

T - Hops characterized by grapefruit up front. There is a malty/sweet taste mid-palate, but the grapefruit comes back and lingers at the end.

M - Light body with good amount of carbonation. Nice.

D - I could definitely drink another, and then another.

I had a bottle of this, and thought it was better out of the bottle. A more vigorous pour lead to much more aromas and taste, in my opinion, then what was served on tap.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Minimal head. Perhaps it was too cold at first. Leaves slight lacing. Light copper color. Head settles to a brim with a little froth on the top. Head comes out more with the slightly warmer second pour.

S: Caramel malts. Smells sweet. Not very hoppy. Smells like a light Old Guardian/Big Eye IPA.

T: Caramel malts. Definitely hot. Almost get a nice iced tea flavor from it. Not terribly hoppy

M: Nice tingly amount of carbonation.

D: Very nice. Refreshing and smooth.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into Speigelau tulip, thanks Reggae4203

Pours a golden yellow clear body with a white head of small and medium bubbles.

Great citrus aroma, strong grapefruit, orange, pineapple, papaya, lemon rind. Some pine notes typical of WCSIPA. Nice aroma.

Taste is very bitter, resinous, and malty, getting a lot of pine and a ton of bitter hops, some sticky sweetness, some bready character, leaves a film of resin on the tongue with a definitely dry and bitter aftertaste. Alcohol burn is present.

Mouthfeel is moderately carbonated, smooth, medium bodied, sticky, dry finish

Overall, I would drink it again but wouldn't seek it out, overhyped IMO. Just didn't come together as well as it could have. Very malty and very bitter, but the tasting hops didn't shine through as nicely. Perhaps fresher, this beer would drink differently. Hope to try it again fresh one day and reassess.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to sendsilk for sharing this with my wife and I while we were at Cigar City.

Poured into a Cigar City snifter Matt swiped from behind the bar!

Pours a bright golden color with good clarity and a very tall white head. Awesome rocky lace hangs tightly to side sides of the glass.

The aroma is full of big citrus and pine notes - typical of a well-balanced west coast DIPA.

The taste is very bitter and citrusy. Nice flavors of orange and grapefruit pith. There's a small amount of pine flavor as well, but it seems the majority of these hops were added for aroma. The flavor of orange juice seems to add acidity to the beer.

The mouthfeel was very slimy/mouth-coating surprisingly. Sticky with a hint of booze.

Overall very nice, but I still prefer my Great Lakes region style of IPA/DIPA to the west coast variants.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beautiful orange double coats your mouth like a cup of bitter honey. Plenty of big grapefruit notes on the nose and on the front of the tongue upon first quaff; but as the Pure Hoppiness spreads over the tongue, it's the much more bitter pine and nut flavors that leave a lasting impression.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a tulip from a bomber purchased at Whole Foods in Tustin. This is the second time I have had this beer from the bottle.

A: Light coppery-orange in color, with 1-finger of white head that diminishes to a foamy residue that lasts and lasts. Lacing is moderate and fine.

S: Sweet, with elements of pine and slight alcohol. This beer smells sticky with hops as well as sugar.

T: Bitter from start to finish, with some alcohol astringency and slight malt coming late. The sweetness detected in the smell is not reflected in the taste. The flavor of this beer begins in a very restrained way, without that usual strong burst of flowers and citrus that has become commonplace in the style. However, hoppy flavors escalate alongside the bitterness until they are restrained by the appropriately cutting alcohol.

M: Medium viscosity and fairly low to moderate carbonation. Entirely appropriate for the style.

D: This beer is a very good representative of its style, without demonstrating any single pronounced attribute. What is so special about Pure Hoppiness? I don't know, it's just good. That said, drinkability suffers a little due to the high alcohol content and the fact that it is represented in the flavor.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

At long last I finally found some Alpine (although it required a trip to SD. Whatever).

A: A light yellowish orange, and totally clear. A bit odd for an IIPA. Nice thick white heat though, two fingers but leaves a 2-3 cm fluffy film with lots of bubbles coming up. This looks really carbonated.

S: Very full hop boquet, but not one style really sticks out. I smell a lot of floral, some grass, and of course some citrus. Don't really note any pine. There's a bit of citrus sweetness but it might just be the hops.

T: Hop dominant and really little to no malt balance. I don't note much sweetness if any at all. Even the hop blast is a bit more subdued than I expected. Grass dominant with a bit of citrus.

MF: High carbonation which I think saves the beer a little bit. Great full mouthfeel with plenty of crispness. For 8% alcohol, it doesn't really hit that hard.

D: I'm not entirely sure this is a DIPA to me, it really has more IPA characters. I love a hop dominant IPA, but you need something to balance it out and this doesn't really have it. The hop flavor is good, but it doesn't pack quite the punch of others either. This rates right up there with some of the really good IPA's out there, but doesn't really do it for me if I'm rating it as a DIPA.

3.94/5  rDev -10%

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

This one came from Errantnight, cheers Derek!

Pours an effervescent gold/honey color with2+ fingers of cream colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Grapefruit & leafy hops, fades as this warms

T: Much grapefruit, herbal & grassy hops along with biscuitty malt & a touch of dryness up front, plus some leafy hops. Slight booze warmth along with apricot fruittyness hides behind a torrent of grapefruit, woody hops & a kiss of honey malt as this warms. Finishes with a slight honey malt/biscuitty malt sweetness, raging grapefruit & leafy hops

MF: Semi-chewy, low carbonation & nice balance

Drinks fairly easy, but the hop mix isn't quite pulling together for me. Hops aren't popping enough or in the right way. Dye in the wool hopheads may think I'm dead wrong. My guess is this shines on draft or on cask. This is better than the overall score, aesthetics made this one one fall short for me

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company