Follow our progress ...

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Alpine Beer Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

So mega-hopped it will take you to hop heaven. We’ve used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge “hop bite.” Once you’ve tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. 1.072 OG Classified IBU

Added by xlperro on 12-18-2002

Reviews: 882 | Ratings: 3,455
3.72/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

On tap at the brewpub in Alpine.

Appearance: Clear light amber; excellent clarity; a weak off-shite head that manages to leaves some sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma: very, very mild and subtle for style. Just faint hops. Pleasant.

Flavor: Mild for style -- more IPA than DIPA -- still, stronger and hoppier than the aroma suggests. Moderate complexity. Only moderately bitter at its peak. Moderate complexity. The hop flavor lingers on in the aftertaste.

Feel: Light-medium body with near medium carbonation. Dry finish. Slightly astringent.

O: a distinctive (D)IPA. Recommended.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into Sierra Nevada Tulip Pint glass.

Pours a 1 finger white head. Good retention with nice lace walls. Color is a hazed golden sunset orange. Very good looking DIPA.

Aroma: Fresh floral hops. Has a nice citrus mixture going on, but this dipa isn't bready so far. I like it. Nice mango and grapefruit aroma.

Taste: So this isn't bready, which I like, but instead it has some caramel malts going on here. A little booze shows up. The mango is more apparent then the grapefruit here. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and a little crisp. Medium bodied with a lower level of carbonation, despite the bubbles in the glass. Leaves a dry musky aftertaste that I am not to fond of, but quite typical for the style.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I am glad I got to try it fresh. Decent price on a bomber, so if you see one of these give it a try.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

First off I want to thank BA xlperro for the sample. 22 oz brown bomber with no freshness date and a 6.8% abv on the side of the label. Contract brewed by Alesmith Brewing.

Appearance: Big brassy golden hue with a signature froth that can only come for a highly hopped brew.

Smell: Big earthy veggie hop with a huge drop of spicy citrus. Lots of fresh hop aroma to go around as well as hints of alcoholic esters and malt sweetness within.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Think pungent halo of hops lingers on the first sip to the last, soft flowery and citric flavours mingle throughout. Faint flavours of toasted malt and vague caramel come to the palate clouded, as they should. The alcoholic warmth hits middle to end and shows that there is a slight kick; esters are held to a minimum yet a quite noticeable.

Notes: What can I say, this is all I expected from a west coast IPA and a little bit more. Its nice to get a kick in the mouth with a big hoppy brew.

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

This one came from Errantnight, cheers Derek!

Pours an effervescent gold/honey color with2+ fingers of cream colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Grapefruit & leafy hops, fades as this warms

T: Much grapefruit, herbal & grassy hops along with biscuitty malt & a touch of dryness up front, plus some leafy hops. Slight booze warmth along with apricot fruittyness hides behind a torrent of grapefruit, woody hops & a kiss of honey malt as this warms. Finishes with a slight honey malt/biscuitty malt sweetness, raging grapefruit & leafy hops

MF: Semi-chewy, low carbonation & nice balance

Drinks fairly easy, but the hop mix isn't quite pulling together for me. Hops aren't popping enough or in the right way. Dye in the wool hopheads may think I'm dead wrong. My guess is this shines on draft or on cask. This is better than the overall score, aesthetics made this one one fall short for me

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a relatively clear golden apricot in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation along with light amounts of golden yellow + copper highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy light beige head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer surrounded by a medium thick ring around the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of tropical/pineapple, citrus/grapefruit, citrus/grapefruit pith, and pine hops over the top of moderate aromas of sweet caramel malts.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavors of sweet caramel malts with a moderate amount of initial sweetness. That is quickly followed by moderate to strong flavors of citrus/grapefruit, citrus/grapefruit pith, pine, and tropical/pineapple hops (in descending order of strength) which impart a slightly stronger than moderate amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: Extremely well constructed and very enjoyable. Easy to drink with wonderful hop aromas and flavors. Definitely one to get when you come across it.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear, light amber color. Modest head which settles to a rim of bubbles. Nearly no spots for lace.

Unlike its Nelson cousin, this has a balance of malt to the hop nose.

I get caramel and light toast on the tongue initially. The hop shows up on the swallow with a dry peppery bitterness. The aftertaste is long lasting with a straight up floral hop bite. Good carbonation with a neutral body.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

From 01/22/11 notes. Brought to a tasting by Dreadnaught33; thanks Jonathan, big want.

a - Pours a clear orange color with two inches of off white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells very strongly of pine hops, as well as fruity malts and citrus hops. The pine really stands out; it's very nice.

t - Tastes of grapefruit, pine hops, citrus hops, fresh fruity malts.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and creamy, and very easy to drink.

d - A very smooth, easy drinking DIPA; I was surprised there wasn't as much bitterness. Lots of pine in this one and I thought it smelled great and fresh. Would like to have again.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Pale hazed apricot hue with a large thicket of finely bubbled billowing off white head. Chunky textured rises up above the rim of my glass, aromatics play the part cutting through your senses with grapefruit pith, sweet baby aspirin tones and herbal grassiness. Sweet sugar coated hops come through with a strong long lived bitterness this is West Coast IPA. I actually enjoy the diacetyl put forth in these beers, I don't see it as an off flavor just a nice complimentary flavor compared to most other big hoppy beers out there. I'm thoroughly impressed with the three IPAs I've had thus far. Big brash bitter but balanced with a nice biscuit breadiness/buttered bread really comforting malt profile with herbaceous, spicy hops and citrus grapefruit pith. Pretty incredible tasting IPA, I'm glad to have the opportunity to try these brews. This is rounded out from front to back hop flavor hits the palate oily slick with resin, medium to fuller bodied soft fluffy carbonation gotta love this stuff. Inredible drinkability compared to most big hoppy ales, this one is full of finesse. My friend and brother may have to make a pilgrimage out to this brewery someday in the near future, we all love these beers. Outstanding effort, I plan to imbibe more of these and possibly an Exponential Hoppiness to one up this one.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to James for sending this one to me! Been wanting to try it for a very long time.

A: Pours a clear copper/orange color with small bubbles constantly being released from the bottom. A foamy white head formed on top, about two fingers in height with great retention and tons of sticky lacing.

S: Nice citrus/tropical fruit forward aromas with some pineapple and grapefruit. There is some orange peel and zest mixed in with a touch of caramel.

T: Very similar to the aroma with plenty of citrus fruits and some pine with very little lingering bitterness. Some pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, mango, and grassy hops. There is again a little bit of caramel to balance things slightly.

M: Medium bodied, extremely easy drinking. Not overly bitter at all.

O: Another amazing IPA from Alpine. Hard to pick a favorite from the big 4, but I am glad that I don't really have to since I can't get them easily enough!

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Pours an amber color wit ha thick white two finger foamy head. nice head retention and excellent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is hoppy as expected,very floral with lots of citrus and pine. Taste is all about the hops as well, like the nose pine and citrus dominate. The finish has a good amount of pine and bitterness to it with a decent amount of sweetness to balance it out.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, if you like west coast DIPA's then this will be a drinkable beer for you.

Overall another outstanding hoppy beer from Alpine. I liked Nelson better then Duet and now Pure Hoppyness better then Nelson. I can't wait to try the Expo hoppyness I have coming.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Dreadnaught followed by this? Yes, thank you.

Pours a clear amber with a white head. Nose is straight up pine tones. Flavor is bright. An interesting mix of citrus and pine. Slight salty edge, but it's more so a big fruity floral thing. Feel is very smooth on liquid and the carbonation is good. This is really easy to drink. Way too much so. I could sip on this all night. Too bad I can tell it's going to totally jack with my recently discovered hop allergy. (yeah...it's true)

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle shared by Dreadnaught33. Thanks Jonathan!

This beer appears a slightly hazy yellowish orange hue. Random bits of sediment can be found floating about. There is about an inch of head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass. I didn't enjoy this beer as much as Duet, but still thought it was decent. The beer has nice hop and grapefruit flavors. The feel is sticky and coats the palate. It's slightly sweet and finishes with a hint of alcohol. Overall, a solid beer and worth a try.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer's reputation and the exhuberant exultation of the label description have me greatly anticipating this bottle...hell, I'm glad the hunt is over and it's in my mitts at last, now all that's left is the experience..let it begin...
hey, I just cracked the crown and the happiness, and hoppiness has begun already....now, it's freed from the bottle and into the glass...pure honey gold, fine head of pure white froth bobbing on top...
the nose, that's the treasure! Piney and sprucey, sweet tropical/citric fruits...gorgeous!...hop oils aplenty, raw and delicious, this is a heavenly thing, a halo fit for a hophead...I don't want to disrupt this lovely thing by drinking it, but I have no choice...the beer beckons..will it be as savory once past the lips?
A blast of bitterness, a phalanx of fruit, creamy and juicy, with an enhanced hop profile. Some what lightish in body, but the flavor is so high to render that moot, too huge in hoppiness, buzzing every inch of the mouth with the tasty hops..which ones? Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial? How'd I do?* Maybe more, maybe less, but whatever they are, they're there in plentitude.
this is an experience in a bottle, a very happy thing to have in the mouth, I'm an instant admirer, and have a new favorite to add to my must-drink column, ...although that reputation had already put it there..now that it's been in my lucky stomach, it's assumed a rightful place among the greatest IPAs I've ever known. A real humdinger,...which means, literally, as far as humming and dinging goes, it's the real deal!

(precious thanks to kmcnair!)
*I know know it's Cascade, Columbus, and H-something--whoops, I lost...

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BdubleEdubleRUN for the trade on this one.

Poured from a bomber with no freshness indication into a snifter. This brew appears a nearly clear color of light orange with a finger and a half of yellowish tinted head. Despite a careful pour, some faint particles are stuck hanging in suspension. The cap recedes fairly quick to less than a finger of creamy fluff that leaves some spotty and finger-like lace work on the glass. A light swirl revives the cap back to a finger's strength.

The aroma of this brew is fruity with an herbal quality that has a light touch of mint character. Some catty notes evolve as the brew warms and some grapefruit rind picks up inside the nose as well. Some faint notes of orange zest and a touch of sulfur fills out the backend of this brew's scent. Overall pretty good and deceptively fruity sweet smelling.

The taste of this brew is deceptively sweet when it first hits the tongue, however that abruptly turns bitter with hoppiness tasting herbal, catty, pine-like and full of bitter rinds somewhat like grapefruit and a little grassy and earthy. There is a faint green yeastiness included in this brew mid palate before a light toasted grain flavor evolves and finishes with a lasting bitterness that is herbal and lightly catty.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. A very solid representation of the Double/Imperial IPA style but deceptively fruity in the nose and herbal in flavor. Well balanced across the board, this brew is a pleasure to drink. It wasn't until I was half way through my glass that I realize this was 8% abv and it produces a nice warmth across the back of the throat. Well done Alpine.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Huge thanks to srandycarter for sending one of these my way. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - It looks like Pliny the Younger - honestly I'd be hard pressed to distinguish the two. Two fingers of creamy-white foam, with great retention and gorgeous lacing. Semi-transparent dark gold, with streams of tiny bubbles streaming upwards and the occasional bigger bubble.

S - Earthy & floral hops - lots of pine and lemon zest. There's also a solid malt backbone underneath the massive hop flavor. There's the faintest hint of alcohol as well.

T - There's the obvious hop flavors - sweet citrus, mossy pine, but a surprisingly high amount of bready malt as well. The alcohol note I got in the nose is gone. It's a fair bit more understated than the smell, and slightly disappointing. Not a huge bitter aftertaste either.

M - Medium body, nice carbonation tingle, lots of residual oily stickiness. It's really velvety and smooth.

D - Not gonna have any problems with downing this one. Well-hidden ABV, great texture, moderate carbonation - really easy drinking here.

It's not as good as Pliny the Elder, which is a more fair comparison than PtY, but it's still a terrific DIPA in the west coast style.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

I got an initial two fingers' worth of off-tan head with good retention from my pour. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was very citrus-grapefruity. Mouthfeel was medium with a solid hops taste on the tongue. It was the sort of thing that causes a couple of east coast lager brewers that I know to muse on whether the brewer may have forgotten to add malt. There was malt, though, as evidenced by the outstanding lacing throughout. For me, it was an indulgence in my hop habit. The ABV makes it a bit difficult, but otherwise, I found it to be an eminently drinkable beer. Finish had the whacking "hop bite" for which the label indicated they were striving.

I'm leaving my original bottle review and scores in place, but since I just scored a fresh bottle as part of their expanded distribution, I am giving it a second look.

From the bottle: "This mega-hopped, West Coast-Style India Pale Ale will take you to hop heaven! We've used hops in the boil, more hops in the giant hopback, and added to that, an incredible amount of dry-hopping for that cutting-edge 'hop bite.' Once you've tasted this unique beer, all others pale in comparison. Drink better beer so ... Drink Alpine Ale or Go to Bed! - [undersigned] Pat McIlhenney".

I had no more than Pop!ped the cap than the kitchen smelled like I was in the midst of a pine forest! Wow. The head came foaming up pretty quickly, forming three-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber-Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. The lacing that formed as the head fell clung to everything, making me dread the clean-up later. The nose was filled with pine and my hophead mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was medium, but it hit my taste buds with a take-no-prisoners attitude. The taste was at once both lemon-citrusy and sticky with pine-like resin. Phew! Finish was dry and gasping and world-class, indeed! This is why I became a hophead in the first place.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. bomber poured into a goblet and a snifter.

Appearance - Ripe orange body with a small, off-white head with loads of lacing. The head is gone quickly, though.

Smell - Pungent citrus hop aroma. Grapefruit dominated with piney afterthoughts. Nary a hint of sweetness, but burnt caramel comes through with some nut aromas.

Taste - Identical to the smell. Full-blown hop assault. Not as bitter as I would have expected. Grapefruit and pine hop flavors. Almost no sweetness at all. Nuts, caramel, and vanilla all come through on a woody backbone. Clean finish. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Ok, so as much as I chastise DIPAs for their sweetness, I kind of miss it in this one. It's so fully attenuated that it feels almost thin. Not too thin, just thin. Not a huge amount of carbonation, either.

Overall - An unbelievable IPA. This is what makes west coast IPAs so much better than east coast. I do miss a hint of sweetness, but it certainly doesn't take away from the magnificence of the hops.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

22oz Bottle received in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a clear golden orange color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is filled with hops. Floral, pine and resin dominate. Tart fruit, apricots caramel and honey round the nose out nicely. Tastes like sucking on a hop cone, but in a good way. Pine and resin again dominate the flavor. Very little, if any malt makes its way to the surface. Grapefruit and apricots find their way into the middle followed by a long lingering bitter dry finish. Sticky resinous mouthfeel, medium body and carbonation. That is one fine DIPA! I'm not sure I can find anything to fault it on. Very well done.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. No dating on the bottle.

A nice very good consistent tight foamy head is made about three fingers off white in color, sitting on a body of bronze amber. Nice and clear, no visible carbonation anywhere. Some nice lacing is very noticeable on this.

Nose is a big biscuit malt, and dry smelling pine. Very biscuity it seems, real nice. Some fresh citrus orange and grapefruit comes out later after many more sips.

A real simple solid pine rush at first to taste. The palate slowly fills with just a hint of sweetness and caramel, then on the swallow a good portion of resin like feel. Nice texture to this, dry piney tasting hop sense kicks in with further sips. Mouthfeel hits with mild carbonation and lots of thick hop like texture without any syrupy sensations. Some mild orange and bitter grapefruit comes out later.

Overall a great tasting IPA, and another great one from Alpine.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

22 ounce bottle without a freshness date poured into a St. B goblet (as close as I could get).

Beer is light amber and the beer has high haze. There is almost no head. Just thin broken patches of small white bubbles. The head clings to the glass. Carbonation is low to moderate.

Beer has a sweet smell and then a strong pine hop aroma. Maybe I should have used the snifter for this beer to focus the aroma better. Second smell was the same, mixture of malt sweetness and hop (pine).

Smooth full bodied beer. Good sweetness up front, no hint of alcohol in the flavor, no aftertaste at all. The hop flavor is midpalate and provides great connectivity between the front and the back of the mouth. Second taste, got more sweetness and more bitterness this time, its a good beer. Drinkability high and mouthfeel is really good. Very clean, not dry. A great DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle. Slightly hazy orange color with a bit of beige foam that goes away quickly. Aroma has candied orange and other fruits like peach and papaya. Taste starts sweet and fruity with oranges and mango but gets quite bitter with grapefruit notes on the finish. Aftertaste lingers with a good amount of bitterness, pine resin and grapefruit pith. Medium body and carbonation, ABV is quite well hidden. Really tasty, classic DIPA with a solid malt backbone and lots of bittering hops.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle,, with "Best by" dating printed on the label.

Pours hazed medium amber, moderate cap, leaves a thin and fine bubble filmand some slight strands of lace.

Aggresive DIPA, waves of citric hops and caramel malty goodness. Solid all the way. Big, flavorful, tasty and well worth a try. Glad to see this fine breweries beers being distributed in my area

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11/19/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA

Presentation- 22oz undated bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden with a touch of cloudyness. Small bits of sediment float around. Nice lacing as well as a 3/4 inch white head.

Smell- Pleasant scent of fruity and pine hops. Not really much of a malt smell though.

Taste- Malt does come through nicely in the taste. Fairly dark malt leads to a mid range bitterness from the hops. Mostly citrus...grapefruit and orange with bits of pine tastes on every few sips.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation level that leaves a semi bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- Very nice DIPA. Glad I snagged a few while I could.

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. The beer is a bright copper coloring with a fomay, quick to disipate head. Aromas of pine and foresty hops, with sweet citrus notes of grapefruit and orange peel, and some candi sugar highlights. Initial tastes are sweet and flowery, with a full fisted punch of hops explosion to the back of your mouth. Citrus undertones help to balance the resinous and piney hops characteristics that land on you palate. Some very grassy notes in there, as well. Very green on the aftertaste, with pine notes balancing with a tart and sweet citrus blend of grapefruit and orange. Smooth, slick, robust bodied, yet with a crisp finish. Easy on the palate despite the heavy flavors and full feel, making the beer extremely easy to drink. Dangerous at 8% ABV, but what a fantastic beer!

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Beautiful deep copper orange body with 2 fingers of creamy off-white head. Nice retention and ok lace.

S - Surprisinggly mild nose, even as it warms. Earthy pine and brown bread.

T - Sharp and woody with bitter herbs. Opens strong and dry with bright fresh wood, resiny pine, thyme and tarragon. Honey and a soft bread crust sweetness balance out the center, and accented by a brisk boozy note. Long, delicious, bitter herb and honey finish.

M - Fantastic. Medium-full to full frame manages to stay light and drinkable. Great carbonation.

O - A fantastic example of a pine-forward DIPA; one of the best out there imho.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company