Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,266
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Reviews: 673 | Hads: 2,380
4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to Metallitone1 for this one! This has a very nice and clear golden color but the bubbles were a little large and the head and lacing could have been better. The piny, resiny hoppy aroma is very inviting. It reminds me a lot of Centennial hops and I love Centenntial. The flavor was very hoppy with a piny, resinous flavor and none of the fruity grapefruit flavors. There is little alcohol or other fermentation characteristics. There is a slight sweetness but the beer is rather dry and allows the hops to shine. The dryness made the mouthfeel a little less than great. Overall, though, this is a very tasty San Diego Pale that I would try again.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Enjoyed in bottle picked up recently from the brewery.

Appearance is very clear for a DIPA. Kind of a copper amber color. The nose on this beer is one of my favorites to date. A bit delicate. You get the pine, some citrus, floral and sweet notes, I almost get like a hint of cotton candy. The taste is very well balanced and extremely drinkable, clean and crisp for the style. Very little malt detected, alcohol well hidden and nice hop profile and bitterness throughout. A nice crisp hoppy finish as well. Mouthfeel is solid although possibly the most carbonated DIPA I have tried. I like carbonation but perhaps a bit high for the style. Overall a very solid DIPA. I haven't had the good fortune to try Alpine's others to get a comparison but a wonderful beer from an amazing West Coast brewery.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a golden amber, with a tidy, silky, off-white head about two fingers thick. Slight haze. Substantial lacing. Juicy and resilient head.

Smells amazing. Floral, citrus and pine hops and notes of bubble gum (?) sweetness. Smells just delicious.

Nice grainy malt character underpins this brew, with a variety of hop flavors coming out of it. Bitterness, a pungent earthy flavor, some funkiness like overcooked greens lurks in the background. Some herbal qualities. Fresh produce - seriously. Some sweet malt flavors come in, muted caramel, and a fleeting fruit like sweetness. Flavors clear and there is just citrus rind like hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

The carbonation seems to work through this brew in a very balanced way as the mouthfeel is quite soft and smooth.

An enjoyable and in some ways surprising beer. Drinkable and delicious.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Thick, voluminous head immediately after pouring; Carbonation is clearly visible. Pours a golden orange color.

S - The amount of hops leaps out immediately; very excited to see if it delivers in the taste

T - Absolutely amazing. Best hop taste I've had aside from Pliny the Younger.

M - Hits the lips hard and fast, moving on to every corner of the mouth from there. Literally an eye opener; makes you sit up and take notice

D - Better with every sip; immediately in my top 3 IPAs. Smooth and consistent from start to finish

If anyone is looking for a substitute for PtY, I say look no further than Alpine's Pure Hoppiness!

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle courtesy of fellow BA Googzoid10 - thanks for the opportunity, Greg!

I love me some DIPAs. This is a nice looking one - orangey yellow, with a thick white head and great lacing. This one smells piney, tart with grapefruit rind, and fresh. Yum. Flavor is very nice, but not what I pictured from something named pure hoppiness. It has more balance that I expected, but it's still a nice hop bomb. The hops are big and juicy but don't have as long of a finish I would have liked. The mouthfeel is delicious with nice carbonation, and the drinkability is pretty good to boot. Overall, quite nice!

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

22oz bottle, No freshness date but it was purchased at the brewery less than a week ago.

Appears bright reddish orange with an off-white short foamy head. Recedes quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing near the top of the liquid. Good clarity. Smells like sweet citrus fruit, tangerine and grapefruit, along with strong pine and subtle caramel malt. Incredibly hoppy flavor. This isn't a hop bomb by any means, just a fairly well balanced west coast DIPA . Pine and citrusy flavors come together up front to provide a blast of hoppiness, a little bit of caramel malty sweetness rounds out the middle and provides temporary relief until the finish which brings about a huge oily and bitter hop finish. Very sticky lingering mouthfeel that keeps the bitterness around for ages after the drink is empty. Medium-full bodied for the style with slick/smooth low carbonation. Easy to drink and very enjoyable, hoppy as hell but not over-the-top.

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: A crystal clear copper ale with a nice mild carbonation rising from the nucleation points. The head quickly fades to a little film. Up my alley.

S: A bit... off? Mild, but appetizing in general. My bottle wasn't super fresh so I may have lost some aromatics.

T: Nice resinous hops with controlled bitterness, some mild candied cherry sweetness, white wine grapes. It's a bit mild, probably due to the lack of freshness. A tasty IPA, sure, with some honey maltiness and sharp effervescence.

M: Solid, creamy and thick but not syrupy. Good.

D: Very quaffable, something I'd seek out again. I was much more a fan of it's bigger brother Exponential Hoppiness, though.

This is the finest, all-around IPA I've ever tasted. It's fantastic in every regard. The hops and malt blend is absolute perfection. Since Pat does not distribute bottles of this beer anywhere out of the Alpine/El Cajon/Lakeside area (but kegs do find their way to O'Brien's Pub and the Liar's Club), it is well worth driving the 110 miles to El Cajon to buy a few cases.

It tastes of smooth but bold northwest hops, but there is no unbridled bitterness because the malt taste comes through to uphold an unparalleled consistency. Each sip is liquid gold, to match the color of this perfected brew.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

on draft in Alpine restaurant. Super west coast IPA, could drink it all the time but incredibly it was my 4th Favorite beer of the day! Just a great beer, just not as good as Nelson or Duet...

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

The epitome of what a Double IPA should be. This is my go to DIPA whenever I am in San Diego. The scent is pure hops, very piney, a little citrusy. Taste is also piney, hops hops hops, but man what a balanced beer this is! I can drink this all day long, easily one of the smoothest brews I have ever had. This is what I compare every DIPA I taste to, and I wish I could get it more often up here in LA. Fortunately, I head down to SD on a weekly basis, and enjoy this frequently at O'Brien's and the Liar's Club. I preach the gospel of this brew to every hophead I meet, and dub this a "must try" if it ever crosses your path.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

A: Minimal head. Perhaps it was too cold at first. Leaves slight lacing. Light copper color. Head settles to a brim with a little froth on the top. Head comes out more with the slightly warmer second pour.

S: Caramel malts. Smells sweet. Not very hoppy. Smells like a light Old Guardian/Big Eye IPA.

T: Caramel malts. Definitely hot. Almost get a nice iced tea flavor from it. Not terribly hoppy

M: Nice tingly amount of carbonation.

D: Very nice. Refreshing and smooth.

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a light orange with average head and lacing. Full, deep hop bitterness spread across palate. Spicy vanilla with fruity and herbal notes. Pleasantly warming, lasting, bitter finish. Bold flavor, but far from harsh - alcohol is restrained. One 22 oz. is perfect amount.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours clear copper. One finger white head fades to a thin cap leaving little to no lacing. Aroma is slightly piney, citrusy with some tropical fruit notes. Flavor has notes of grass and grapefruit. Thin to medium body. Not heavy on malt. Moderate carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Growler from the brewery. Bright amber with a creamy head. I get some citrus, wood, grass and biscuity malts. Pretty bitter with the citrus fading away as it warms and the malts making more a show. Not as dry or bitter as its big brother Exponential.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

S - An amazing bouquet of pine, citrus, hops, pineapple and everything you would expect from a wonderful WC DIPA.

T - Similar to smell, with an added burst of 'rusty' hops. An absolutely brilliant beer with a very clean finish. Almost Pliny worthy, but not quite. However, leaves me wanting another (I'll call this the "pliny effect.")

Notes: This is my second Alpine beer. My only other was a Mandarin Nectar which I found incredibly refreshing after a day at the beach. When I purchased this beer I also bought a Duet and Nelson - reviews to come.

Edit: I just had this beer again (2/18/11) and it is friggin' amazing.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

A - orange sunset hay

S - earthy hops, mellow pine notes

T - pine, slight tropical fruit, touch of bitterness on the finish

M - DIPA mouth coating, resin and bitterness lingers after swallowing rather than a floating hop

O - Balanced. Almost too balanced. Perfect foundation but I need a tad more hop bite.

Enjoyed thoroughly none the less.

3.11/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium Globe

Pours out a bright golden color. Body is crystal clear. Head is initially one finger in thickness in a white color. Eventually, settles to small island of foam with a ring around the glass. Etched glass keeps the head present for the whole session but only a thin layer. No lacing is present.

Sweetness front and center with no hops at all and that's all I'm getting. What the heck? Sadly I get nothing that resembles anything like what a "West Coast IPA" should smell like. Perhaps this bottle is old?

Much like the smell, tons of malt sweetness but no hops what so ever. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat after the beer has been swallowed but up front there is just sweetness. Like I said for the smell, I'm going to guess this is an old bottle...

This is really a saving grace for this beer. The mouthfeel is very smooth and semi thick. Even though the etched glass kept the carbonation coming it didn't show up on the tongue.

Well I will revisit this beer sometime when I know how old the bottle is. This was just overly sweet and no hop presence. Had there been hops to balance out the sweetness this would probably have scored much higher for me. It was still drinkable, but not what I was looking for considering I was hoping for an Imperial IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- Foggy amber body, lots of chunky sediment floating between the lovely uniformed carbonation, nice head with decent retention and sticky lacing! This is a sight for sore eyes!

S- Tons of bold hop aromas, pine, citra, some light alcohol notes, very very solid!

T- Piney hop forward, citrus backbone and a dry hop bitterness a the end which bites your tongue with the alcohol. Again very solid! Not so complex but it really grabs you with a full flavored hoppiness from start to finish.

MF- Medium-heavy body, medium carbonation, slick coating to the palate the resonates the dry hops long after the finish.

O- Fantastic. Nothing else needs to be said. I really like how you can dig into this beer in every way. Not the ordinary dipa!

Alpine's line of IPAs are amazing and I probably would give all of them 5.0 ratings.

Pure Hoppiness is my go to DIPA when Nelson is not available. Always consistent and super enjoyable. Everyone I introduce to Alpine I bottle share Pure Hoppiness and they become new fans.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Stopped in the brewery today while on business in SD and picked up some fresh examples of this, some Nelson and Duet.

Sunset Orange color, really great looking beer. The nose is amazing, loads of fresh hops, hops, and more hops. Sweet citrus fruit,pine and a touch of fresh baked bread round out the nose. The flavors overwhelm your taste buds, tropical fruits, sweet and oh so bitter, but beautifully structured, I want another sip !The mouth is crisp, dry and completely refreshing, the hoppy finish lingers for a half minute. This is world class all the way, as good as anything in its catogory and another huge winner from the folks at Alpine, and oh yea, their food is off the hook and the people are very friendly.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 22-oz. bottle snatched from hi-times in costa mesa. great not to have to drive to san diego to grab a bottle.

Poured an amber body with a nice head that lasted for a loooong time. nice soap bubbles and lacing.

Nose was straightfoward west coast: grapefruit, fresh hops, citrus, a small amount of pine.

taste was very well balanced. this definitely wasn't a hop bomb like i thought it might be. again, balanced malt backbone towards the end, a bit of warmth. nice, not exceptional.

definitely drinkable. very little carbonation and a medium body are a combination that makes this one go quickly.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice deep golden into a stemless Chardonnay, clings to the glass for dear life. Nice head, great lacing.

The smell hits you with a floral bouquet, some interesting things pop out that I can't make out along with grapefruit.

Taste is awesome. Everything I want in an IPA, big fruits and a cloying bitterness, a slight alcohol warm in the finish.

I love this beer. It's not in your face, but it doesn't shy away from big flavors and an amazing aroma. Great beer overall, shame it's so hard to get.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

I picked up this bottle a few months back and it was my second time trying this tastey brew from Alpine. I poured the beer from a brown 22oz bottle into my HopCat snifter. It pours with a generous two fingers of head that has a good amount of retention and lacing evern after the first 5 or so drink. The beer pours a bright orange color, almost reminds me of a less cloudy american wheat in color. The carbonation is pretty pronounced on this ale which I really like because it really gets the sweet citrus and hop smell right up into you nose during every drink and I love to smell my beer while I drink it. Overall, the beer smells more malty than hoppy, but this may be as complex a smell as I have every smelt with a DIPA. Smells citrusy, hoppy, malty sweetness with an earthy undertone....in one word delicious. The taste is much the same. It doesn't blow you out of the water with hop bitterness, instead it seems to have a boat load of flavor and aroma hops that make the beer tast absoloutely devine. The mouthfeel is light and appropriate for the beer. This is one hell of a DIPA, one of the best I've had, and unlike most I feel like I could drink bottle after bottle and not get tired of this brew. Its scarry that its 8% ABV and I think they should change the name to A Hoppy Night in Jail, cause thats what could happen. One final note, I enjoyed this beer the first time I had it more due to the fact that it was fresh. This bottle is about 4 months old and its starting to loose its charm, but still a tremendous offering from Alpine!

2.16/5  rDev -50.2%

A bizarre concoction to be sure. Seemed ok upon pour, but this must have zero malt in it. This had a high acidic note that was horrid, no bitterness. Perhaps I had a bottle that was past it's prime. I can tell this might have that high A fresh taste at bottling. Not impressed, rather horrid. Have more and will re-review.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - nice tan and gold head about a finger thick. amber gold and orange hues. looks light as far as carbonation, but then again, i know looks can be deceiving.

s - really hoppy but suprisingly balanced in the mix. exotic fruit, and pear? lightly floral.

t - hoppppsss. less invigorating than the smell but a seriously damn good IPA. faint wheaty malts. as it warms up after a while it brings out more metallic notes in the hops. dry crisp finish. clean.

m - as i said before looks are deceiving. a nice full rush of flavor and a clean cut to the taste. med - high carbonation level. the beer nicely finishes with a happy after taste and hop breath, but im hoppy with that (zing...)

o - the major difference between this and more accessible IPAs like green flash and great divide is that there is a lotta love in this beer. you cant really taste the hand crafted affection in my opinion. nuff said about this beer. its a hit with me.

Pure Hoppiness from Alpine Beer Company