Pure Hoppiness - Alpine Beer Company

Pure HoppinessPure Hoppiness

Wants: 1,258
Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 12-18-2002

This brew uses several varieties and multiple hop additions to the kettle as well as a large "hop back" to give the bitterness and aroma a start. Plenty of dry hops finish it off and give a big hop bouquet.
Draft & 22oz bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pure Hoppiness Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,320 | Reviews: 685

Alpine's line of IPAs are amazing and I probably would give all of them 5.0 ratings.

Pure Hoppiness is my go to DIPA when Nelson is not available. Always consistent and super enjoyable. Everyone I introduce to Alpine I bottle share Pure Hoppiness and they become new fans.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Stopped in the brewery today while on business in SD and picked up some fresh examples of this, some Nelson and Duet.

Sunset Orange color, really great looking beer. The nose is amazing, loads of fresh hops, hops, and more hops. Sweet citrus fruit,pine and a touch of fresh baked bread round out the nose. The flavors overwhelm your taste buds, tropical fruits, sweet and oh so bitter, but beautifully structured, I want another sip !The mouth is crisp, dry and completely refreshing, the hoppy finish lingers for a half minute. This is world class all the way, as good as anything in its catogory and another huge winner from the folks at Alpine, and oh yea, their food is off the hook and the people are very friendly.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 22-oz. bottle snatched from hi-times in costa mesa. great not to have to drive to san diego to grab a bottle.

Poured an amber body with a nice head that lasted for a loooong time. nice soap bubbles and lacing.

Nose was straightfoward west coast: grapefruit, fresh hops, citrus, a small amount of pine.

taste was very well balanced. this definitely wasn't a hop bomb like i thought it might be. again, balanced malt backbone towards the end, a bit of warmth. nice, not exceptional.

definitely drinkable. very little carbonation and a medium body are a combination that makes this one go quickly.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice deep golden into a stemless Chardonnay, clings to the glass for dear life. Nice head, great lacing.

The smell hits you with a floral bouquet, some interesting things pop out that I can't make out along with grapefruit.

Taste is awesome. Everything I want in an IPA, big fruits and a cloying bitterness, a slight alcohol warm in the finish.

I love this beer. It's not in your face, but it doesn't shy away from big flavors and an amazing aroma. Great beer overall, shame it's so hard to get.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I picked up this bottle a few months back and it was my second time trying this tastey brew from Alpine. I poured the beer from a brown 22oz bottle into my HopCat snifter. It pours with a generous two fingers of head that has a good amount of retention and lacing evern after the first 5 or so drink. The beer pours a bright orange color, almost reminds me of a less cloudy american wheat in color. The carbonation is pretty pronounced on this ale which I really like because it really gets the sweet citrus and hop smell right up into you nose during every drink and I love to smell my beer while I drink it. Overall, the beer smells more malty than hoppy, but this may be as complex a smell as I have every smelt with a DIPA. Smells citrusy, hoppy, malty sweetness with an earthy undertone....in one word delicious. The taste is much the same. It doesn't blow you out of the water with hop bitterness, instead it seems to have a boat load of flavor and aroma hops that make the beer tast absoloutely devine. The mouthfeel is light and appropriate for the beer. This is one hell of a DIPA, one of the best I've had, and unlike most I feel like I could drink bottle after bottle and not get tired of this brew. Its scarry that its 8% ABV and I think they should change the name to A Hoppy Night in Jail, cause thats what could happen. One final note, I enjoyed this beer the first time I had it more due to the fact that it was fresh. This bottle is about 4 months old and its starting to loose its charm, but still a tremendous offering from Alpine!

2.16/5  rDev -50.7%

A bizarre concoction to be sure. Seemed ok upon pour, but this must have zero malt in it. This had a high acidic note that was horrid, no bitterness. Perhaps I had a bottle that was past it's prime. I can tell this might have that high A fresh taste at bottling. Not impressed, rather horrid. Have more and will re-review.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - nice tan and gold head about a finger thick. amber gold and orange hues. looks light as far as carbonation, but then again, i know looks can be deceiving.

s - really hoppy but suprisingly balanced in the mix. exotic fruit, and pear? lightly floral.

t - hoppppsss. less invigorating than the smell but a seriously damn good IPA. faint wheaty malts. as it warms up after a while it brings out more metallic notes in the hops. dry crisp finish. clean.

m - as i said before looks are deceiving. a nice full rush of flavor and a clean cut to the taste. med - high carbonation level. the beer nicely finishes with a happy after taste and hop breath, but im hoppy with that (zing...)

o - the major difference between this and more accessible IPAs like green flash and great divide is that there is a lotta love in this beer. you cant really taste the hand crafted affection in my opinion. nuff said about this beer. its a hit with me.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from the 22oz bottle...

A- I had kind of a heavy pour that produced a 3-4 finger head. Bubbles appear to be average in size with some larger ones attached to the glass. A mix of consistenct (partially my own fault). Has a nice golden/straw color with some haze. Leaves a nice uniform lace of the larger bubbles.

S- More piney hops at the beginning, but some floral hops are definitely noticable. I was really expecting an over abundance from the smell (the name IS pure hoppiness), but maybe it will be in the taste. Some light malt noticed, certainly an afterthought though.

T- Grain soaked in hop resin. Citrusy in the body, grapefruit and lemon rind. Some lighter floral hops, but mainly piney and bitter (a good bitter). The grassy, hoppy flavors linger throughout the finish.

M- Medium bodied, coats the pallet. Lightly carbonated with its bittersweet finish.

D- This IPA is a nice representation of the west coast beer scene. Living in New England (thank you to my brother for the beer!) I really like to see these flavors. I would grab for another if it were available.

Cheers!

4.41/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden color with a bright white head of about a finter. The head doesn't stick around long but it has left some nice lacing. The aroma is very sweet with big notes of tropical fruits with just a bit of spice and tad bit of alcohol - not much pineyness or earthy smells present.

Slight bitterness up front but it fades away quickly leaving a nice sweet malt flavor. A very drinkable and refreshing beer with a nice balance to it. This was my first taste of Alpine's beer and I'm looking forward to trying more from them.

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%

a. light amber, light cream-colored and creamy head

s. fresh and fruity hops

t. begins with sweet hops, a yeasty/earthy flavor, nice malt balance, finishes kinda dead with alcohol and flavorless bitterness, wish it lasted longer

m. round with a medium creaminess

d. very drinkable, would buy more if i could find it over here

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow, this is now one of my favourites of all time. Agressive floral hopping that comes out in both the nose and the taste. Great head! A light straw colour.

Tried it at OBriens in San Diego where it was the hit of the evening for most people. Some people suggested it smelled like "bud" and I do not mean the beer.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

First off, I didn't take notes when I tasted this beer. But it is quite memorable so hopefully that'll be sufficient. From what I remember it was a fine clear light amber color. What was most outstanding was the amazing aroma that simply exploded with hoppy goodness. The body was nicely balanced with sweet maltiness and it finished as spectacularly as it started. This is a beautiful beer.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into an Ithaca tulip glass. The bottle was a 22oz bomber (Thanks to Stupac2).

The pour is a hazy golden orange with a whipped, foamy white head with a creamy lacing.

The small is 100% citrus all the way. It smells like a fruit salad.

The taste mimics the smell on the citrus aspect. I taste papaya, mango, grapefruit with a stiff bitterness.

The mouthfeel is somewhat flat despite the balanced carbonation. The beer goes down like a cream ale leaving a milkshake like residue in the mouth.

The overall drinkability for me is a 4.5/5. This is a delicious DIPA. Another great beer from Alpine.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Extremely clear, dark straw/mid amber color. Pours with half to 3/4 finger head of fine to very fine bubbles, that dissapates quickly. An oily residue of microbubbles are left over.

S: Starts a bit dank and hoppy, but contains sour-fruit essence, and some malty breads.

T: Different than it smells, and a little hard to describe. A bit of dank hops and mild sour-fruit start the taste before giving way to medium+ malty breads and medium/medium+ hoppy bitterness, which contiues through the finish. Great amount of hops without any pine/resin flavor. Full flavor covers all 8% abv without any taste of alcohol.

M: Proud; a little bit bigger and thicker, and stickier than most, like every Westcoast doubble strives to be. Carbonation is great.

O: An interesting blend of hops. Represents a true double in lots of ways, but the hops selection makes it unique. It makes an exciting alternative if you're burned out on piney hops.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This Imperial IPA pours a nice slightly hazey dark,golden honey color with a thick, pure white head. Lots of carbonation bottles exploding to the surface even two minutes after pouring.

Smell: A huge, tropical bouquet of citrus. I get a ton of tangerine followed by some mango and some orange peel. This tropical thunder in a glass.

Taste: Taste follows the nose. Big orange initially from the beginning. It follows with some mango and some pineapple and grapefruit on the end. A little on the bitter side but quite dry on the aftertaste. Awesome tasting and no alcohol heat what so ever.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation to distribute these great flavors all over the mouth.

Overall: I could drink this all day especially on a hot summer day which will be hear soon. Goes down real easy for a double ipa. Alpine once again lives up to its name with another stellar ipa. Just a wonderful medley of tropical flavors with a little bitterness to let you know your drinking a higher IBU ipa but still very smooth. I have had most the Alpine IPA's and will have to get my hands on the last one I want to try--Nelson.

3.66/5  rDev -16.4%

Apperance - This beer had a thick fluffy off white, creamy head, the beer itself nice bronze amber color with some honey tones about it.

Smell - Extremely fresh hop smell, hine of green apple peel, one hell of a fresh spring like smell, like the air outside smells when the seasons change from winter to spring, very floral fresh aroma.

Taste - Like most good quality IPA's the first thing you notice is the fresh hop tast, excellent citrus and pine flavors explore your palate. One dissapointing charactieristic that I found was that the flavor doesn't linger on the palate it dissappears very quickly after the sip This is why i gave the taste a lower score.

Mouthfeel - Very well carbinated, not a light beer but very medium bodied.

Drinkability - Hard to get beer here in Texas. Great IPA to try, highly recommend, very well balanced IPA easy to drink, very smooth, nice and refreshing, bring the spring season out from the cold.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a fresh bomber.
Creamy 2 finger head that literally sticks around for few moments.
Moderate lacing after all.
Surprising after tasting the medium to light body. Citrus Orange Pineapple caramel aromas. Pretty amazing floral and sweet on the nose.
A fruity cotton candy smell and taste exude from the last sips that warmed up in my LA FIN DU MONDE sniffer.
Sweet but not over the top. Pine bitterness lingers in in the back to balanced with this unconventional west coast IIPA Hop profile.
I love to try an original new DIIPA that brings hop satisfaction and Caramel Malty characters.
I have a sweet tooth anyway, but this is perfect to end a great meal. Maybe for less spicy asian food or just by itself:)
Difficult to notice trace of 8% abv. After been blown away by the Nelson, this an reminder of the creative craftsmanship at Alpine CA.
Pick any time you find on the shelf. A must.
Enjoy.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

22oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Muted gold with a finger of off white, soapy head with decent retention. Solid visual showing.

S: Citrus, floral & a touch of mango. A nice hop bitternes is present with a slight alcohol bite.

T: Grapefruit, slight citrus notes. Very hop forward, nice & bitter. A standard west coast style ipa.

M: Just the right consistency with a nice hop oil presence.

O: Nice interpretation of the style. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely a solid brew.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a very clear amber, orange, really nice clarity. Smells of piney, resinous, delicious hops, it really smacks you right in the face. Taste is pretty hop forward, but honestly a lot smoother than I expected. Very balanced. I dont know the age on this bottle but if I had to guess then I would say thats its not as fresh as one would like. The hops die off in the flavor rather quickly and the malts come through. Still very tasty but I wish that I could have it freesh. Mouthfeel is pretty nice as well, very smooth, you can tell it has carbonation, but its almost like the thick resinous hops just eat it up. Very good, but Id really like to try it fresh.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Honey orange, nice lacing

S: Piney smells are the most prominent with some floral as well.

T: Mostly piney hops with a mild, but perfectly appropriate amount of balancing malt.

M: Light and crisp, appropriate levels of carbonation.

D: I could drink this one all day long if I metabolized alcohol like mosquitos do, but I don't, so let me say it another way. My mouth could drink this one all day long but the 8% ABV would knock my ass out after an hour or two.

Pure Hoppiness was one of the first harder core IPA's that I loved. It truly is Pure Hoppiness.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Pure Hoppiness is the perfect name for this beer. For all you hop heads out there....this is the one! Immediately after popping the cap off the pungent hop aroma overwhelms the senses. As stated before, this beer smells like "bud" (you know what I'm talking about). I wish my wife could find potpourri in this scent. The brew pours a nice golden color with a thick off-white head. I was amazed at how the head stuck on the sides of my pint glass throughout my drinking excursion. A lowly amateur might complain at the excessive amount of hops used to make this beer. Not me!! I also liked the fact that this beer wasn't as heavy as most hoppy IPAs. Light, crisp, and very easy to drink.

The king recommends drinking this beer with a hot pastrami sandwich (with extra pickles)

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Golden to light amber hue with a frothy large off-white head. Aroma is big juicy grapefruits and tangerines, a touch 'hot' from the alcohol. Flavor is a bit nutty, citrus medley of orange peel grapefruit and lemon. Good hop bitter but not overpowering - very nice balance. Finish is dry - almost crisp, but not quite. Lemony would be a better term.

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Pours a pretty golden-yellow color.

S: Obvious hop aromas but also kind of smelled like soap or potpourri.

T: Not sure if Alpine Beer Co. used a different kind of hops that I'm not familiar with/used to but it tasted too fruity and reminded me of soap. Almost the floral flavors you taste in belgian IPAs.

M: Hops flavor lingers on tongue for a while. Almost feels like a syrup consistency in throat post-swallow with a sharp aftertaste and stays with you.

D: Wasn't too fond of this beer but maybe because I'm just not used to the sweeter hops. Too fruity and sweet for my tastebuds.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to prototypic for an incredible extra!
Here's a quickie review.
This beer has one of the best floral hop noses I have encountered. Tastes like liquid gold, with lots of (cascade?) hops balanced with just the right amount toffee sweetness to finish.
I generally prefer a little more slickness in my DIPAs, but that is the only thing I could see to improve this.
Drinks like a Two Hearted with an extra kick to the taste buds.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%