Keene Idea - Alpine Beer Company

Keene Idea
No picture uploaded.

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Formerly known as Toronado 25th.

Keene Idea is very different from Nelson. No rye, different grain bill, Citra and Rakau hops.

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-11-2012)

SageO, Jan 08, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Chambic, Jan 03, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

From cask to pint

A: cloudy yellow-orange in appearance; frothy, sudsy head that never fully recedes. Lacing everywhere.

S: Grassy, boozy, citrus-y, piny. The nose is less tropical than its little brother, but there's a buttery tone with a tropical edge. Nose is more subdued than expected.

T: Guava and orange flavors up-front - distinctively 'Nelson'. Flavor profile is a lot more layered than the nose, with sweet, bready malts bouncing off various citrus notes. Smooth and creamy throughout; by the short finish it's more sweet than bitter.

M: Probably the creamiest, most frothy IPA I've had on cask. I'm pretty shocked at how carbonated this is, might as well have been on tap.

One of the best brews I've had. Touches all of the hidden corners of the palate while still dropping huge hop character. And the amount of carbonation this has is incredible - puts to bed the notion that IPA's shouldn't be served from a cask.

rand, Jan 03, 2013

Finally getting around to my notes on this taken from my lunch at Alpine right before the holiday's. The beer pours a beautiful light copper with a thin head of beady white foam. The nose is the tell tale Nelson Sauvin hop profile meshed with sweet malty bisquits and the funkiness from the hop bill. For me this is a different beer than the last effort that was either called T-25, Double Nelson or whatever you wanted to call it. This seems a bit hotter, the booze is evident here, its bitter as it should be but almost in an unfinished clunky way that isn't as seamless as the last time I had it. The mouth is fine if not a bit hot but its a joy to drink none the less. I still prefer the regular bottling of Nelson to the more amped up version.

OTB, Dec 29, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Got a growler from ThaFATkid on Christmas Eve. Thanks Brandon you're the man.

A: A very nice crisp golden orange with a half finger to a finger white head.

S: Extremely dank on the nose with nice orange and grapefruit zests.

T: Probably too drinkable for it's own good. This went down like a breeze. Tons of fragrant tropical fruits & hops with a slight malt backbone. Just the right amount of bitterness to make this a truly well balanced beer.

M: Medium carbonation. Very crisp on the tongue.

O: What a special treat. Living in Chicago I have only had the chance to try Alpine on a few occasions. Having a chance to have this on draft was one of my better beer moments of the year. If you have a chance seek this out immediately. Up there as one of the better double IPA's I have ever had.

jdhende, Dec 28, 2012

mbixler, Dec 27, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -25.9%

Draft service into a shaker pint glass at the Alpine pub.

A: Slightly hazy, orange-golden color with less than one finger of white foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very intense at first, with a juicy combination of mixed citrus and tropical fruits. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins dry, with an early burst of acidic and fruity hop aromatics followed by refined pale malt. Sweetness picks up into the middle where malt loses all semblance of graininess, instead becoming doughy and comparable to a powdered sugar that is heavy on the cornstarch. Flavors are simplistic into the finish where bitterness is more intense than the typical Alpine pale ale. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly acidic yet a little lifeless on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: While this beer leaves little doubt that it was born in an Alpine fermentation vessel, with a smell that simply oozes nelson hops, it also seems unfinished. Malt qualities are not polished here; base malt is cloying instead of showing off influences from rye or other specialty grains. It may be overrated here due to its ephemeral existence, but it is not the best showcase of Alpine's majestic beers.

beagle75, Dec 24, 2012

drewone, Dec 24, 2012

On tap at O’Briens
12/20/12

*2nd release – stoked to catch this still on the day after.

A: Goldenrod body with some orange tones and a smidge of haze. Just enough to distort the appearance of your hand when peering through the glass. Thin lid of paper white foam with some slow rising bubbles. Sticky dots and ribbons of lace.

S: A fantastic floral nose bright with mango and peach notes. Big on the pineapple juice, with some passion fruit and just a suggestion of white wine in there. Smell is pretty killer. Not as heavy on the Nelsons it seems but all fruity and tropical hops.

T: Expressively hoppy flavors of melon, pineapple, and grapefruit. Lesser doses of white wine grape and green berries. There is real nice trailer of herbal weed stems as the pucker hits from an upper moderate bitterness on the palate. Has a perfect balance of sugars with minimal malt character and just a soft caramel kiss to it. Creeper alcohol warmth is well disguised at first. A fantastically hoppy DIPA. Not quite the Double Nelson I was hoping for but definitely tasty.

M: Medium to lighter body with an overall wetness to the beer. Although there is a bit of a crisp drying lift towards the finish. Sappy lingering hop oils with a slight bitter constricting feel.

D: Another hoppy homerun from Alpine. This did not make me think of a Double Nelson but it is delicious in its own right. Flavors are fruit forward with a more restrained white wine note. I do love the Nelson and wasn’t totally mind blown here but still very happy with the outcome. Profile of this batch comes together more like an uber fresh Sculpin or what the guys down at Societe are doing. Balance is superb however and I think I would even prefer this over Enjoy By.

Great beer hope to see this become a regular.

Nugganooch, Dec 21, 2012

littlebeer, Dec 21, 2012
4.58/5  rDev -0.2%

Was Fortunate enough to be in town for this release. Had it on tap at there pub on and got a growler for a lucky trader. So this review is from my notes that I took while.

A- Nice orangish white somewhat cloudy body with a little bit of a white head.

S- Hoppy sweet citrus, some honey, mango, pineapple, hoppy weed mixed with a little bit of malty sweetness.

T- Double Nelson fits this perfect this needs to be bottled! With that said first off theres a fruity hoppy honey citrus sweetness that first comes to mind and as the beer warms up the better it tastes. Not too hoppy not to sweet and not bitter a well balanced beer.

M- Smooth Medium and pleasant.

Overall- Like I mentioned earlier this was from my notes and thats what I wrote while drinking it and even now I wish that they would bottle it or have it on tap more. I hope to be able to try this again to compare my notes. Drink Alpine or Go to Bed!

ThaFATkid, Dec 20, 2012

eawolff99, Dec 20, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at Alpine

A - Pours a bright orange/brown with very little head. Slightly hazy.

S - Large citrus aroma with a bit of weed thrown in. In addition to the citrus, quite a bit of mango in the aroma.

T - A little sweeter than I thought it would be from the aroma. Hops still predominate, and the sweetness is actually complimentary in this case, even for an IPA. Like the aroma, lots of citrus and mango in the taste. Just enough malt base to provide balance. Very smooth and tasty.

M - very smooth mouthfeel. Just a touch of alcohol burn, but very minor. Nice bitterness, though the finish is pretty clean.

O - Haven't had Nelson in a while, so I can't compare directly, but this is very nice. Would love to have again.

warnerry, Dec 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Huge thanks to Mike T for sharing a growler of this at Dyan’s going away tasting. Served in a goblet. Pours a nice, clear orange color with a lasting white head. The nose has delicious resinous hops. A bit dank and heavy rind. A bit of malt and alcohol, but mostly all hops. Medium body. Quite bitter. Really an excellent double IPA and one I hope they make again...soon. At the same time, if you can’t get your hands on it, I honestly didn’t think it was THAT much different than super-fresh Nelson.

Thorpe429, Dec 16, 2012

darkmoon66, Dec 15, 2012

millerbuffoon, Sep 15, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On cask at O'Brien's. Apparently the last of batch 1. Tall, thin 10oz glass.

A: Pours a murky straw color, with a thin ring of off white head. Poor retention and no lacing.

S: Some pale malt and a honey-like aroma, a little fruit (tropical and citrus) and spice, but overall very tame. I had to struggle to catch a whiff of anything.

T: Some fruity hop characteristics and rye malt. Ugh, the flatness is destroying the taste for me.

M: Flat, medium body. If I were an optimist I would point out that this hides the high ABV exceptionally well. But I'm not particularly.

O: A flat, less hoppy version of Nelson. Just not very enjoyable. A big disappointment, esp. since Nelson is one of my favorites. The cask did not do this beer any favors, unfortunately, but my fingers are crossed that they'll brew this again.

pmarlowe, Sep 08, 2012

rmaste6282, Sep 08, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

From the T25 anniversary party. I had several pints of this.

A: Pours a clear, golden-peach color capped with a finger of off-white head. Great retention with lace streaking down the sides of the glass during the drink.

S: Citrus -- a tropical smorgasbord of mango, pineapple, and papaya -- followed by weed and finishing with a spicy element. Initially, I assumed the spice was just the rye bill amped up, but during my second glass, an image of onions came to my mind, and I couldn't shake it thereafter. I don't like onions in beer; that being said, it is a mild presence here and not a deal-breaker.

T: As above, the predominant character is citrus (mango, white grapes, pineapple); the tropical element resonates very well with my taste buds. But that's arguably par for the course now with West Coast IPAs; even the weed presence is starting to become more commonplace. What sets this beer apart for me is a grassy, herbal undercurrent (Masterski claimed "chives," which I'm not totally sure I can place, but I can see why he said it). The rye spice is another nice touch, and it is amplified above standard Nelson. It works nicely with that onion character I noted in the aroma.

M: Medium-bodied. This hides the ABV very well for nearly 9%, and what's more impressive is that the body doesn't need to be syrupy to do it. I usually find that 10% beers and up have a bigger, maltier body than their lighter offerings, presumably to hide the alcohol better. This is at the point where the crossover from dry body to malty body must begin, yet it manages to stay relatively light and drinkable.

O: This was the hit of the day for me. It's pretty unusual for me to put down 3 pints of a 9% beer in a single sitting; this is one of the few beers that truly begged for it.

Arbitrator, Sep 02, 2012

popery, Sep 02, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

Altenor, Sep 01, 2012

gueuzegossage, Aug 31, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this growler via Bdige, a true stellar trader, thanks Brandon!

Okay, it's no secret to anyone that I trade with, drink with, talk about IPA's with, Alpine Nelson is my favorite IPA out there, with Maine Brewing Lunch and Surly Furious coming in 2nd and 3rd (no particular order).

I received this growler on a Friday, 13 days after it was released(!!). Generally we have a tasting here in Tampa on Wed. or Thursday. I found out this weeks tasting was canceled yesterday (Wed.). Alright, time to go big balls and open it by myself.

I'm thinking "Man, that's a lot of beer to drink myself" than I think a little harder "WTF, pussy? It's like going to Cigar City for a tasting and having 4 pints total." I can ssure you a CCB tasting with our group is WELL over 4 pints total.

SO fuck it, I drink this beautiful golden IPA bitch all on my own. I did share a couple of sips with the wife so maybe I had 60 oz. of it. I WISH IT WAS 128 oz.!!!

Golden delicious, straw colored rye IPA. Nice bubbles and head. Freaking absolutely fantastic IPA, the best that I have ever tasted. I give it a 4.75. I could drink this all day long (theoretically) and am so glad to have been able to try it. FANTASTIC IPA!!!

sendsilk, Aug 31, 2012