Mandarin Nectar - Alpine Beer Company

Mandarin NectarMandarin Nectar

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.50% ABV

A Honey Ale with natural orange flavor. Spices used in a Belgian Wit beer, coriander and orange zest, complement the orange blossom honey used in this ale.
Draft & 22oz bottles.

(Beer added by: Gusler on 03-30-2003)
3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a hazy golden color with a tight, white head that leaves a nice layer of lacing.

Smells of bright citrus notes.

Tastes of mild orange notes and some underlying sweetness. Orange is more subdued than I expected, but what is there is nice. Some of the honey sweetness comes through to complement the orange along with some floral notes. There is some coriander, but it is very subtle.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a light, fruity beer that while I find nothing offensive about it, it just doesn't strike my fancy.

ocelot2500, Mar 21, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

276nd review on BA
bottle to mug

Bottle purchased at Alpine on 2/19

App- A darker amber color with a 1/2 in head. Very quick to dissapate.

Smell- A bit let down after reading the bottle. Sweet malts with a faint orange and some spice. Had to almost get beer up the nose to get some good scents.

Taste- More spice than anything else. Was a bit thin and almost watery for me. Just was kind of bland. I really expected a HUGE flavor on this one.

Mouth- Thin with a medium carb level was very much in the vain of apple juice.

Drink- It was okay, wasnt bad just didn't blow me over like I expected it too.

FosterJM, Feb 24, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Aroma:This beer smells like mandarin oranges and sweet malt.

Appearance:Pale gold in color, lots of bubbles. Big white fluffy head with good retention.

Taste:Lots of citrus in the foretaste with some slight sour notes, although a little watery. The aftertaste fades to some faint spicy/peppery notes.

Mouthfeel:Light body, good carbonation, a little creamy.

Drinkability:This is a nice easy-drinking fruit beer that has good orange notes. It's interesting, but I don't think I could drink a full bomber of this.

fear025, Feb 02, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Consumed at our Epic Chicago Tasting.

A - A light golden color that was a little bit hazy. Decent white head, no lacing.

S - Not a huge fan of this, smells like a wheat beer with some oranges added to it. Bit too sweet, smells a litle fake.

T - Orange, sweetness, honey, something a little off on this. It's not like it's a horrible beer, but it's boring and light. Little bit of spice in there.

M - Light bodied, carbonated, little syrupy.

D - While not the worst beer ever, it's not all that good, and the drinkability is merely average at 6.5%.

AgentZero, Dec 23, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle. Poured into a pint glass. Very clean aroma with minimal fruit notes of orange. Light mouthfeel. The taste is very clean with some touches of fruit. Orange dominates the flavor over anything else with really no hop notes to speak of. Lightly sweet start and stays sweet the entire time. A very straight forward easy drinking beer. Not as fruity as I would like though for a fruit beer.

kbutler1, Nov 29, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Clear honey, head leaves fast to ring. Not much lace.

S - Wheat beer smell, Belgian like yeast smell. Very light on both counts.

T - Wheat beer with some orange and spice - coriander maybe?

M - Light bodied, a little clingy in the finish.

D - One of my least favorite from one of my most favorite breweries.

srandycarter, Sep 08, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured amber in color with a moderate white head to it. The head faded but left some moderate lacing.

The aroma is pretty sweet with honey and orange both present. It almost has a syrupy sweet orange aroma to it. Could have used a bit of bitterness to balance the honey sweetness.

The taste shows off the orange zest and honey pretty well. The coriander adds to the citrusy flavor of the beer as well. The finish especially shows off some of the honey flavors. It's very smooth and refreshing. It reminds me a bit of a few braggot style beers I've tried with the honey.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is a bit above average. Drinkability is decent, it was pretty light but flavorful and went down easy. Would be a decent choice for a hot day, however it felt a bit big and heavy to fit that bill perfectly.

billab914, Aug 14, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Drank at our epic tasting, and this clearly did not belong...22oz? bottle into my Narke tulip...A super light and clear pour hardly ever gets things off to a good start...The taste and aroma are both a super sweet orange, not a natural acidic orange, but a generic candy thing...Light feel, not very drinkable.

Skip for everyone.

jrallen34, Aug 05, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into a mug.

Cloudy golden color with yeast at the bottom that looks kinda like some sand was dropped in there. A finger in a half white head that has good retention but not much lacing.

Basically smell like a wheat beer. Nothing really special there.

The taste is pretty similar. Light witbier flavor with hints of orange and coriander.

Light bodied with high carbonation. Pretty smooth.

Just kind of a not that great beer. I love Alpine's IPA/DIPAs, but this is the second non IPA/DIPA that I have tried by Alpine that just isn't that good.

billshmeinke, Jun 27, 2010

My pour created two fingers' worth of rocky, eggshell-white head with nice retention. Color was deep gold with NE-quality clarity. Nose was both orange-citrusy and lightly spicy, like black pepper. Mouthfeel was medium with a light orange zest on the tongue. The label mentioned honey, but I missed out on that. The finish was dry with the peppery/coriander presence that I noted on the nose. Yum.

woodychandler, Jun 23, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +5%

It's time for another Alpine beer, so on to it:

Bright golden orange in color, a show of large carbonation bubbles rises through the body of this spiced ale. The head shows good froth, and so is the head retention. Biscuit malt, lots of honey, a little floral in the nose.

It's spiced nicely, and the malt base comes together. I'm not sure if wheat is used here, but I'm certainly getting some malted wheat notes. But that could also be the honey that's present. BURP! There's the orange flavor I was hoping to get. At the trail end comes the coriandor with a hint of Wirgley's gum. Feels lighter than the listed 6.5% ABV, though I can still find a little booze running around.

When I purchased Mandarin Nectar, I thought I'd be getting a light, refreshing orange wheat ale. Wrong! This is a spiced orange ale with plenty of meat on it's bones. A tasty wheat ale, but the irony here is I was in the mood for something lighter.

DoubleJ, May 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bomber into a Stella snifter. Thanks to Mike for the opportunity.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with a big white head that fades and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Malty sweetness with a bit of an orange aroma. Almost bland.

T: The taste is much better than the nose. Starts out with a malty flavor that quickly changes to a mandarin orange flavor. It actually tastes like those little oranges people put in salads...very refreshing.

M: The feel is slightly creamy and crisp.

D: I'd be inclinded to have this again, especially on a hot summer day.

Yet another Alpine brew that I've liked. I have an Expo. I can't wait to try out next.

GregSVT, May 23, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

A: poured a yellowish orange with a half finger head that had good sticky lacing on the glass.

S: wheat like aromas with hints of mandarins and honey in the nose.

T: crisp honey-mandarin like flavors with a combination of cirtus fruits and slight bitterness at the end of a sip.

M; light to medium body with decent amount of carbonation.

D: pretty sweet for my palate and probably could not drink a whole one by myself.

Gobzilla, May 20, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +18.2%

This is a very tasty beer from alpine. I could see drinking this after a hard days work and drinking the whole bomber and maybe even 2 if I didn't feel like drinking something else (which is rare)

Pours a clear golden. Nice white head formed but it's just a tiny ring now. No lacing. Very clear.

Aroma is a little like mandarins. Mostly honey malt. Smells a little bready too.

Dang. This is a good light beer. I could see drinkin this with buddies at a pub and drinking a couple pitchers because it goes down so easy. You can taste a little honey, citrus and a nice malt. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is great. High carb like a light beer should.

Man I wish I could get more alpine brews closer to me. I could drink a pitcher of this at the bar easily.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 19, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A: The pour is a remarkably clear light golden-orange color with a fluffy white head and some mild lacing.

S: The nose is not very robust. A touch of coriander spice, some mild orange aroma, and a little sweetness.

T: The honey comes through and gives the beer some sweetness and a bit of a floral flavor. A light citrusy taste but not much in the way of the coriander that I noticed on the nose.

M: The body is medium, perhaps a bit slick and a surprisingly low carbonation.

D: I suppose I should have looked into this beer a bit more before I bought it, but this was one of the few disappointing Alpine beers I've had.

womencantsail, Mar 13, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

bomber aquired as extra in trade with MASPuros..thanks..poured into pint glass

a-clear yellowish orange color....nice three finger head and fell to some ok lacing and stuck around...very little carbonation visibly..

s-smells sweet...like a honey tea or something....really thats all is smells like...nothing offensive not overly complex either..

t-a lot like the nose....its really honey forward...then you can tell theres like a pale ale base under there or something...just enough hops to keep this from being cloyingly sweet...the orange is really faint...no coriander detected im pleased to anounce...finishes sweet

m-a little slick maybe from the low carb even though i got a decent head....the sweetness really lingers on this one..it is a little heavy on the body to me..

d-if not for the heavy body and lack of availability here it would make a good lawnmower beer...

overall nothing to offensive to warrant a negative review...its a good beer just not great

stoutfiend27, Mar 02, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Quick review before the fiancée finishes making dinner! : )

Appearance - Pours a light tangerine color into my SA Perfect Pint. About two fingers of fluffy but quickly dissipating foam, which leave decent lacing.

Smell - Malty nose with prominent wheat. Slight spices make their way through along with orange zest and some grass.

Taste - Honestly, my first reaction is this reminds me of a Blue Moon but is more flavorful. I don't feel this should be labeled a "fruit" beer because there really isn't a heavy prominence of it though it isn't bad by any means. Very flavorful as stated, with a nice spice kick to it.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied bordering on light bodied. Crisp mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Drinkability - Honestly, pretty drinkable in my onion. I am quaffing this down as I type and it is tasting pretty good right before dinner. I wouldn't seek this out by any means because of the price and as stated I feel I could concoct a Blue Moon to achieve the same taste for half the price but a good beer to try nonetheless.

SpdKilz, Feb 11, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a light hazy golden amber color with a full finger white head that fades fairly quickly leaving a reasonable amount of Belgian lacing. I had an expectation with "Mandarin Nectar" and the smell didn't support that on any level. All I got was a roasty macro lager thing. The flavor is a monochromatic roast malt. The mouth feel is on the watery side. Not going to finish this one.

jjayjaye, Jan 31, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle purchased in LA. I've had nothing but good beers from Alpine so I didn't hesitate to buy this bottle. Granted all of the others I've tried have been IPA's, but I figured this had to be somewhat good too. The label says "a thirst-quenching blend of the finest malts. We've added generous amounts of orange zest, coriander, and a touch of orange blossom honey". So I'm approaching this as kind of a wit-hybrid.

The beer is light copper and clear, way clearer than a wit beer would be. So maybe not a wit, this just uses the typical flavorings from one (coriander and citrus peel/zest). The aroma is sorta modest, it smells like an American pale ale with a very light hops bill. I don't really get any of the honey or orange in the nose. The taste is slightly better though, I can begin to detect the citrus. Still no coriander, they must have used so little of that. I guess this is turning out to be underwhelming, I expected more explosive honey and orange flavors from this beer. It isn't really bad, more a flavorful pale ale than anything else, but the bottle made me expect more.

The body is light, with prickly carbonation giving a mouthfeel about on par with a very drinkable pale ale. I'd say this was a let-down only because I expected greatness from everything this brewery makes, and the label seems to promise more than is delivered. But not bad if approached with no preconceptions, a more than solid pale ale.

TurdFurgison, Jan 30, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a pale orange with a nice head and a decent amount of lacing as it goes down. The smell is somewhat caramelized in the background, with some orange and a bit of sweetness up front. The taste is quite sweet, with a lot of orange and honey coming through. Fairly well-balanced, and another solid fruit offering from Alpine. Highly drinkable; nice and crisp.

Thorpe429, Jan 20, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Deep yellow to orange in appearance. Head was somewhat thin and did not last.

S: Smell was of orange, some bready malt, sweet honey.

T: Creamy orange sweetened by the honey, detected hops for half a second on the aftertaste but then it was gone.

M: Creamy, medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, but not all that impressive. Might be a good beach beer.

Sixofsigmas, Dec 17, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

22oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a pale yellowish orange color with a loose one finger of white head. The head gives way almost immediately and recedes to a thin layer on the surface. Very clear beer with lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass.

S - Not surprisingly, smells quite heavily of oranges, not super fresh ones though, a little on the old side (like after leaving an orange juice container out of the fridge overnight). A touch of malt that adds a little sweetness to the aroma to round out the oranges. Not getting anything for hops out of this.

T - Orange is prominant in the flavor as I expected, but again, not a really fresh tasting orange. A little on the stale side (but this improves some as the beer warms up - and starts to taste fresher). Gives an overall fruity impression. Hops are there, but don't seem to blend well with the rest of the flavors. They stand out as bitter and a touch on the harsh side. The bitterness of the hops fades to breadlike malt and a touch of yeastiness. Overall, taste is decent, nothing spectacular. I'm a little bit let down - was really hoping to get more orangey citrus out of this.

M - Body is on the light side, gives the beer a refreshing, warm weather quality to it. Quite highly carbonated. Almost has a wheat beer type of feel to it. As the beer warms, more orangey character comes out a leaves a lingering citrus flavor in the mouth. Get way more orange character after the swallow. The lingering aftertaste might be the best part of this beer.

D - Smooth and refreshing. Enjoying this beer more as it warms, although it is still lacking a bit in orangey goodness. Given the name, I expected more. Still think would be a pretty good summertime drinker, but plenty more out there that I would choose first.

portia99, Nov 05, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

Thanks to SeaBass for this one.

A: Pours a nice light orange hue with a nice foamy white cap. Nice retention and spotty lace.

S: Wonderful aroma of oranges, flowers, and nice sweet honey.

T: Nice floral sweetness with light orange notes. Mild spice and some bready malt.

M: Light in body, good carbonation.

D: Nice sweet summer treat.

tpd975, Jul 05, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Beer pours ... orange! Har de har har! White foam head.

Smells like ... orange! I'll be here all night, folks.

Tastes predominantly like ... watermelon! No, I kid, I kid. It tastes mostly of orange. Some nice, rind-included orange. Maybe a bit of spice to it.

What do I say about this beer? It tastes artificial, though I doubt the orange flavoring is anything less than genuine. It's just so overwhelming and intrusive.

Overlord, May 20, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Pretty much disapointed in this beer from a great little brewery. Color is gold with a rather small head. The aroma was that of an orange extract, not truly fresh. No hop character. The flavor was pretty mediocre with that of malt and light toasted grain. Some citrus but it is more in the aroma. The mouthfeel was low to medium and could have used a more carbonation.

bigbelcher, Apr 27, 2009