Captain Stout - Alpine Beer Company

Captain StoutCaptain Stout

Alpine Beer Company visit their website

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 05-07-2003

This meal in a mug is now brewed year-round. Generous usage of roasted malt and an array of Carmel malts gives this Chocolate Oatmeal Dry Stout a coffee, maple, smooth chocolaty flavor.
2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

A - Pours a very deep, dark brown color. When held up to the light, you can barely see thru it. Barely. Thin tan head that leaves no lacing.

S - I get roasty, caramel aromas. That's about it. Having a hard time getting anything more.

T - Slight coffee flavor in the front, but fails to finish. Ends dry, with a slight lingering taste. Definately not a "meal in a bottle" as advertised.

M - Not as heavy as I would prefer a stout to be. It's medium mouthfeel, not velvety at all, like the bottle says. A little too lite on the pallete for me.

D - It's an average stout at best. Personally, I wouldn't buy another bottle. (623 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours black with a medium dark tan head.

Nose is a plummy sweet dark chocolate and roasted coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a light creamy character - simple, well balanced and nicely carbonated.

Flavor profile is all rich coffee and bitter black chocolate. Simple but pleasing and a nice example of a drinkable simple stout, done right and not trying to be anything else.

Finish is all medium bitter black coffee/espresso. (439 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

Not their best work. Not very complex compared to a lot of stouts. It pours a dark brown with a thin head a spotty lacing. It smells of coffee and chocolate but nothing to write home about. Taste is the same it's is coffee and chocolate up front but neither is spectacular. I would call this a safe beer. It isnt great but it isn't terrible I would drink it again but not while exponential is on tap. (400 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Says 6% ABV on bottle and listing says 5.5%.

3.5 A: Black color. Nearly two fingers of pillowy light brown head with below average retention and just a touch of sparse lacing.

3.0 S: This has a nice roastiness to it with hints of coffee. However, there's also something strange about this. Smells a bit like "rancid caramel" if such a thing exists or some sort of corrosive industrial chemical. There's also a good deal of regular caramel. There's some underlying fruitiness as well. This is okay, but whatever off-flavor is in there is a bit off putting.

3.5 T: The taste is pretty good though and it doesn't have the weird rancid caramel taste in it. Roasted barley, caramel, and just hints of coffee, fruit, and chocolate. Not bad, but lacking in the strength column.

3.0 M: Lighter body. Moderate amounts of carbonation, but it is a "dead carbonation" leaving the beer lying lifeless on my tongue. Not very creamy and sure as hell not "velvety smooth" as advertised on the bottle.

3.0 D: Pretty mediocre across the board. Worth a try, but mainly to know that this shouldn't be sought after. (1,127 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

its pitch black with a thin light tan head. the head dissipated quickly and does not lace at all. smells very malty and chocolatey, perfectly stoutly, thick and oaty. taste is chocolate, massive malt backbone, something slightly nutty or sweet and fruity. I like it, its very drinksble and yes, good mouthfeeling. just what I look for in a stout. (346 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Sooo happy to try this beer. Sounded like it would be right up my alley when I first heard about it. Got this bottle from the super generous provider of noms, irishgurl4. Bomber goes into a pint glass.

A - Black body. I held it up to the light and none shone through. But... where is the head? There is a little circle of off white stuff on top but not what I would call a head.

S - Mix of oatmeal, roast and a hint of chocolate. Not too pungent but what is there is pleasant.

t- Nice mix of roasted malts with a big dose of chocolate. A smooth oatmeal flavor is in there as well. Some coffee notes but not much.

M - smooth, low carbonation and about as good as you can get for the style.

D - Drinkability is pretty high. A pleasant stout for sure but not a mindblowing one. Really this is a solid beer and I am glad to try it. I would happily drink more of these if the opportunity arose. (894 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black. It's not quite opaque; in small quantities it has a ruby-tinged clarity to it. But in large quantities in a snifter, it's hard to tell the difference. I poured gingerly, producing a finger of light beige foam. It leaves patches of lace during sips.

S: The strongest part of the nose is a roasted grain note that imparts a slight acidity. Dark chocolate, vanilla, and some coffee are noted. A small wash of butterscotch and earthy hops are found, as well. A great aroma.

T: Mm. It has a nice, dry oatmeal flavor; the slightly lactic flavor of roasted grains, coffee, and milk chocolate are evident. Just a touch of vanilla. Caramel, butterscotch, and brown sugar (?) are also noticeable. It's different from other oatmeal stouts. Quite tasty, really. [EDIT: I see from the description that the brown sugar must really be maple.]

M: Light-medium bodied. It's relatively dry, with low carbonation and an altogether creamy mouthfeel. No coating stickiness, sugars, or bitterness.

D: Outstanding drinkability. I think it ran $5 a bomber, which is on the cheaper end for bombers in this state. I am impressed and will be seeking this out again. (1,212 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured a straight black with a tan almost brown 1 finger head. It looks absolutely gorgeous in my Stone IRS snifter. Almost no light gets through the body of this brew.

S: Lots of roasty notes. cocoa, dark chocolate, dark coffee, even some toffee with dark fruits vaguely in there. Maybe even a small hint of spiciness.

T: dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, black coffee, toffee notes and a hint of vanilla. Finished with a dark chocolate/coffee bitterness.. Nicely put together.

MF: thick, chewy but smooth with spot on carbonation. Finishes dry but I like my stouts to finish dry. Leaves the bittering finish for quite some time on the palate.

D: very easy drinking stout. I like stouts but don't love them, but this stout amazed me greatly..

I'm glad I stopped in at Alpine during my trip to SD. Very nice brew! (823 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Very dark, no light really, even around the edges. Very thin tan colored head adorns, and its gone in an instant.

Smell is very coffee forward, which is a plus for me. Theres a bit aof roasted, toasted malts too.

Taste is a little less coffee, a bit more coffee/cocoa bitter. Dry malts, biscuity.

Feel is a tad thinner than desired, but still smooth and slightly slick.

Lower abv, and an over all tasty brew make this an easy drinker. (442 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

A - dark black with a very small tan head.

S - Coffee and a little dark chocolate. Not a very strong smell but very smooth and inviting.

T - Roasted coffee, malty and rich and also effervescent. Not over powering but very enjoyable.

M - I found it to be clean, crisp and dry. More carbonation than I was expecting but this left the beer feeling light and smooth.

D - very drinkable. Not overly thick or heavy. I will be drinking this again.

Alpine really makes some very enjoyable beers. (492 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Near black, tight bubbled tan head with lots of retention. Creamy line of lace.

S - Burnt malt, maybe a little anise?

T - Roasty, malty, rich deep flavor.

M - Medium bodied, creamy, good coating, good balance.

D - Nice, but really big flavors. Would tire during session. (278 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz capped bomber poured into a St. Bernardus chalice.

A: This beer pours a very dark brownish black with a thin fluffy dark tan head. The head dissipated rapidly leaving only a minimal lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is roasted malts & strong coffee.

T: The initial taste is of coffee followed by sweet roasted malts then mildly bitter chocolate.

M: The mouthfeel is of a mild to medium smooth texture with carbonation on the low side.

D:This beer had a nice drinkability factor and was quite pleasant overall. (523 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance - This is a very dark brown in color, bordering on black, with a decent brown-white head on a rough pour.

Smell - The burnt toast and coffee beans lead the way here followed by a huge oatmeal aroma. The brown sugar is at first hard to find but it's there.

Taste - The oatmeal really comes out at the taste but begs for a sweetening balance of some kind. The big burnt character that I got from the nose was only slightly evident at the taste.

Mouthfeel - This is in between medium and full-bodied and a little bitter but not like I thought it was going to be from the nose.

Drinkability - This is one of those beers that smelled great but missed the mark at the taste. It lacked the complexity that I look forward to in the style. (745 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a Delirium tulip glass 07/07/2010

A: A not-quite-black dark-brown ale pours a relatively small head for a stout, maybe two fingers, as I was expecting more suds given the name and style. Tight carbonation but the lacing is short-lived.

S: Nose is light but quite pleasant with roasted malts and coffee prominent. Has a nice sweet aroma, like freshly baked coffee cake. Not a hint of alcohol, which isn't surprising given the low 6% (I was reading from the bottle, BA says 5.5%)

T: Light roasted malts and coffee are immediately present, followed by hints of caramel and toffee. Aftertaste is clean - very little residue. Overall a fairly delicate profile for a stout

M: Quite light and thin even though the beer isn't very carbonated. Not as chewy as most stouts but the slight oily texture makes this go down easy.

D: By far one of the more easy-to-drink stouts I've quaffed. With the low ABV and non-offending (not that beer offends me) flavor profile, this is a stout you could drink often without feeling bloated or weighed down.

Notes: I would have guessed this was a porter if I'd tasted it blind. I think the name threw me off - Alpine makes big beer, and "Captain Stout" doesn't sound like a shrinking violet. That being said, the end product is a very tasty, easy-to-drink ale and one I would recommend to someone new to the style. (1,372 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

THanks to Crazeguy for sending this and a few other Alpine Beer Co brews to me!!
Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A: Pitch black with one finger of tan head which disappears quickly.

S:Cream cheesy smell along with roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

T: Creamy chocolatey flavor.

M: Smooth and creamy with very little carbonation.

D: Low ABV and good flavors make it a very drinkable Stout IMO. (408 characters)

I am a retired member of Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club aka the US Navy, so nautical names always get my attention. In fact, in conjunction with the CANQuest, maybe I will turn my attention to beers named for the high seas ...

My pour created two fingers' worth of rich, deep-tan head with great retention. The nose was very roasty, rich with coffee and chocolate. Zounds, but I found myself wishing that I had someone to share this with! It just smelled like an after dinner/dessert beer and a bomber would probably be overkill for a solo drinker. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a definite roasty/charcoal flavor on the tongue. Color was a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights. Going back to the taste, I was reminded of a Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar that I purchased in c. 1970 for .10, my first allowance. My mother was with me and it remains one of my earliest memories. Seldom does a beer evoke such vivid reminiscences, but this one certainly did. The finish had a silky quality generally found in cask-conditioned beers, accompanied by the chocolate flavor that simply transported me in time. I feel justified in giving this a solid 5. (1,142 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on cask, via hand pump, @ O'Briens (San Diego, CA) on 3/18/10. Served in a pint glass.

Pours black with a 1/2 finger of foamy light tan head. This retains with some froth around edges, leaving a smattering of light spotty foam down the sides of the glass. The aroma is honestly, a bit light in the nose but still brings enough notes of smokey roast, cocoa powder, caramel, a dash of coffee, and some earthy hops in the back.

The taste is chocolate and caramel sweetness, with a dense blanket of smoke, roast, and coffee behind it. A moderate hop bitterness brings that same dank and fruity character that I picked up in the aroma. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a mellow creaminess to it but there's also a thick slickness flowing underneath that is showing itself rather boldly.

While I appreciated the richness of the flavors here, the thickness of the roasty character and overall feel just help the drinkibility back some for me, despite this being on cask. I'm interested in checking this out in the bottle or draft to see how it compares. (1,063 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A-Nice bubbly pour, but very little lacing and almost no head.

S-Like iced oatmeal cookies, with a little coffee in there. More liek decaf though, from 7-11. Under the right circumstances, this is not a bad thing.

T-Tastes like it smells, with a nice spiced oatmeal flavor, and some chocolate/toffee notes.

M-Falls a bit short here, if only because the body is thin. Good carbonation though.

D-This is actually what I look for in stouts--a bit of coffee, a bit of chocolate, and sessionability. I think i could knock down a few of these around the fire and be satisfied. Good stuff. (587 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

A-thinner dark brown liquid that lets just a shade of red hue through when light is shined upon the glass. The head is a milk chocolate color, thinner and little rentetion. Almost no lace is left

S-the nose is quite large and brings an onslaught of roasted maltiness.big roasted malts, some roasted coffee bean, a hint of dark chocolate, and just touch of dark fruits at the finish

T-the taste follows the nose the nose with the addition of some sweetness towards the back. The big roasted malt presence hits you up front, some roasted coffee, and a touch of the dark chocolate. The finish brings a light sweetness of dark fruits in the taste of some plum.

M-very smooth, highly carbonated, good medium body, and a bit of a crisp bite at the finish

D-easy drinking and big bold flavors, I love a good American stout with nice low abv and this is done quite well, nice roasted backbone with a touch of sweetness! (915 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

A Bomber poured into a Pub Glass.

Pours a deep black and sort of thin looking. Small tan head that dissapated fast. No lacing.

Smells like a good stout. Nice and roasty and a slight malt smell.

Taste is not as good as the smell. It tastes kind of thin for a stout ant as if it's lacking crystal malt. It needs a little more sweet backbone and mouthfeel. The roastyness is very good at first but because of the lack of maltiness the roast gets old fast.

Mouthfeel is also too thin. Nice carb though.

Overall I probably won't try this again. Especially if there are other things to try or I know are better. (611 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a very dark brown with a nice, two-fingered head. The smell was nice, lots of roasted malt and a little chocolate and coffee. The taste is quite nice as well, with some sweetness from the malt as well as coffee, chocolate, and a bit of roast. A little thin, but very drinkable. (283 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Received in trade from TexIndy, thanks as always for the opportunity. Pours a solid dark brown with the faintest of ruby highlights when held to the light. Tightly bubbled tan head dissipates quickly to form a cap. Smells of coffee and milk chocolate, caramel, and a slight bit of ash deep in the back. Taste is roasty with coffee, chocolate, caramel, a bit of dark fruit. Lingering fruity roasted gran bitterness in the finish. Prickly carbonation, medium body, creamy mouthfeel. Nice stout. A bit high on the carbonation, but otherwise a great stout. (552 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a pilsner from a bottle.

Appearance: Very dark brown-black, opaque, nice brown head which started at about 2 inches and is now about half an inch, lacing on the glass already.

Smell: A little booziness, some nice coffee aromas, sweet malty cocoa. Everytime I take another whiff I smell something else. Coffee predominantly.

Taste: Strong bitter coffee, lots of dark malt, tiny bit of chocolatey sweetness(but I can't detect it in every drink only occasionally), some spicy hops that are warming the back of my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Strangely thin. When I poured it I got the feeling this was going to be a nice thick stout. It's a little thin, and the carbonation is more than I would have expected for this style. However this does not necessarily indicate a negative. Just a new take on the style I suppose. It's very slick, and any aftertaste is gone pretty quickly.

Drinkability: This beer may not take the world by storm, but I found it to be a very acceptable stout. Might not be my first choice for stout, but I'd not turn this one down. (1,057 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

I too, hadn't seen this Alpine brew before and quickly decided to grab a bottle, not expecting to get the worlds greatest example of the style, but, still expecting a solid beer, which is what I got.

The appearance shows a nice, dark brown, almost black, with very little, quickly dissipating head, poured into a snifter.

Nose is light. Very little coffee, with roasted characteristics behind it.

Taste overall is good, but slightly underwhelming. Again, mild coffee; roasted and sweet malts, with good balancing hoppiness. The body is medium to thin with average carbonation. Could have used a little less in my opinion.

Overall a quality beer that doesn't overwhelm. This could be a stout I buy frequently, saving others to cherish at a more memorable time.

Served from a bottle, poured into a snifter. (811 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

I hadn't seen this one before so I picked up a bottle to try out. Shared with a few local BAs yesterday.

A: The pour is a nice dark, dark brown with a small tan colored head.

S: The smell is coffee, roasted malt, and just a touch of chocolate.

T: The flavors are a bit more impressive than the nose. Plenty of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and a bit of sweet malt as well.

M: The body is medium, maybe a bit on the thing side, and there is a moderate amount of carbonation.

D: This is a nice, easy drinking stout. A good stout to have that's better than your run of the mill Guiness, but not a big ol' monster of a beer either. (635 characters)

Captain Stout from Alpine Beer Company