1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Berger Cookie Chocolate Stout - Full Tilt Brewing

Berger Cookie Chocolate StoutBerger Cookie Chocolate Stout

good

Full Tilt Brewing visit their website
Maryland, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: YardmanFTB on 11-06-2013)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 54 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
cyclonece09

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap into a "pint" glass. Pours dark reddish black with an off-white head. Smells of dark roasted malt with sweet gingerbread. Tastes of chocolate with a nice cookie added to it, a nice winter combination. Beer is light bodied, a tad watery, but nicely carbonated. Overall a very good beer.

01-11-2014 00:15:49 | More by cyclonece09
KSmith33

4.83/5  rDev +30.9%

I've had this been on tap and out of the bottle. I prefer it on tap but it's excellent both ways. I could drink this stuff every day and it's one of the best chocolate stout beers out there. People have said it doesn't taste like a Berger cookie but I think the chocolate part does and it's well balanced with the vanilla

01-10-2014 14:09:14 | More by KSmith33
stephenjmoore

3.95/5  rDev +7%

A- Dark brown pour, settles into the glass as a cola-colored body. Thin, bubbly tan head that settles quickly and leaves a ring around the edges of the glass.

S- Hints of baker's chocolate, some toasted bread, vanilla. Not huge aroma, but a nice nose.

T- Roasted malts, hints of chocolate, some dark chocolate, maybe a hint of sweetbread or vanilla too.

M- Pretty creamy, medium bodied, medium carbonation. Right in the sweet spot feel and abv-wise.

O- It's a nice chocolate sweet stout. Not huge flavors, not a huge nose, but very well done with both. The local love of Berger cookies may have given this one unrealistic expectations, but this is a good beer.

Serving type: growler

12-28-2013 01:40:46 | More by stephenjmoore
larryi86

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Black with a two finger tan head.

S- Bitter chocolate, cocoa, roasted coffee, touch of vanilla.

T- Follows the nose, but not as strong, again bitter dark chocolate, cocoa, touch of coffee.

M- Very smooth and creamy, medium body.

O- Would be better if the taste was bigger, but still an enjoyable chocolate stout. I could see myself picking this up again.

12-25-2013 03:43:42 | More by larryi86
ThisWangsChung

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a borderline black color. The khaki head is about two fingers high; personally, I could use a creamier texture, but that's just my aesthetic preferences talking. It also has decent retention.

S: Well, this brings some decent chocolate character...it's definitely not Choklat in that department, and that's forgivable considering it's a single. Some slight espresso, cream, and even floral hops make themselves known. I've never had Berger cookies before (blasphemy!), but I can tell there isn't much in the way of a cookie note here. Otherwise, this aroma is rock-solid.

T: The chocolate flavors here are frontloaded on the palate. After it immediately hits the tongue, the flavor shifts towards a nutty, almond-y tone, before a dry and slightly bitter finish. Probably my favorite feature here ISN'T the cookie flavor - that's too mild and frankly disappointing - it's how well the floral hops balance the chocolate sweetness.

M: Very creamy, which is nice. Rather thin...which is not-so-much. However, it's thin body and dry finish makes it very easy to drink. I could almost chug this if it were less sweet. Of course, then it would fail as a dessert beer, which is what this is all about.

O: The lack of a defined cookie character is disappointing - it makes this come off like a regular chocolate stout in its stead. Realign your expectations for this one: the cookie addition is more a gimmick in an otherwise solid chocolate stout, and doesn't have much of an effect, good or bad. While I have to dock ever so slightly because of this, it's still an enjoyably quaffable dessert beer.

12-04-2013 23:04:01 | More by ThisWangsChung
revchris01

2.73/5  rDev -26%

With all the hype surrounding this stout, I was eager to get my hands on some of it. Especially since I grew up eating Berger Cookies. Was quite disappointed with this beer: def did not get any type of Berger cookie flavor and very little chocolate flavoring. Barely could smell the chocolate as well. Would I drink it again? Well yea, after all I have 3 in the fridge, though I would like to try it warmer and on tap.

11-30-2013 19:21:51 | More by revchris01
thezach

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I think this is a fun and enjoyable stout. Is it the best? Are Berger Cookies the best? No. Will I have it again? I sure hope so.

The addition of actual Berger Cookies into the kettle might be a bit kitsch, but hey, they're toasting a Maryland icon and a childhood throwback, and I love it! The stout is rich and creamy with definitely more than a touch of sweet lactose and fudgy chocolate. The aromas of chocolate and roast are subdued, but I still enjoy it. Maybe I'm throwing them a bone because I'm biased, but regardless, they did a good enough job on a beer that I didn't let get overhyped for myself and it delivered. It does have a surprisingly light mouthfeel, definitely no "chew" on this one, which is good. I could probably knock back a couple of this and really enjoy myself.

---

Bottle:
I tried this one out of the bottle as well. It was nice, but it did lack some of the creaminess that I felt I got on draught and there isn't much there for aroma either. Perhaps they filter for the bottle?

11-28-2013 04:48:51 | More by thezach
GodlessWatermelon

2.18/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is pretty standard for a stout, jet black. Thin beige head, and although it was not a vigorous pour, it quickly dissipated.

Smell leaves something to be desired, there's really nothing here. Maybe I'm stuffy due to the recent cold weather, but all I'm getting is some roasty coffee aromas.

Taste is the biggest letdown. There's no Berger cookie here at all, and it's not even a strong chocolate flavor either. I do get some bittersweet chocolate/coffee/espresso flavors on the finish but they're pretty weak.

Mouthfeel is very thin, doesn't feel like a stout. In my opinion, it's not nearly as rich or robust as a stout should be.

Overall this beer was a pretty big letdown. As a Berger cookie beer it fails miserably, and as a chocolate stout on its own it isn't much better.

11-22-2013 01:55:08 | More by GodlessWatermelon
alexk307

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Motor oil black with absolutely no head.

S: Chocolate, coffee, malt, the usual you'd expect from a Stout

T: It tastes more like a porter, not too much taste and nothing rememberable.

M: Thin for a stout

O: I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. I love Full Tilt's other stuff but I'm not getting any Berger Cookie taste or anything like that. Pretty underwhelming beer, probably won't try again.

11-21-2013 01:22:00 | More by alexk307
CSpoons

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Had on tap at Max's Taphouse in MD. Lots of bitter chocolate up front with subtle vanilla on the back end as it warms up. Thinner than most stouts but easily on of the smoothest stouts I've had. Only complaint would be the serving glass, can't wait to try this out of a snifter as opposed to the pint glass this bar uses.

11-16-2013 00:30:29 | More by CSpoons