Berger Cookie Chocolate Stout - Full Tilt Brewing

Berger Cookie Chocolate StoutBerger Cookie Chocolate Stout

Full Tilt Brewing visit their website
Maryland, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: YardmanFTB on 11-06-2013)
Reviews by thezach:
3.89/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I think this is a fun and enjoyable stout. Is it the best? Are Berger Cookies the best? No. Will I have it again? I sure hope so.

The addition of actual Berger Cookies into the kettle might be a bit kitsch, but hey, they're toasting a Maryland icon and a childhood throwback, and I love it! The stout is rich and creamy with definitely more than a touch of sweet lactose and fudgy chocolate. The aromas of chocolate and roast are subdued, but I still enjoy it. Maybe I'm throwing them a bone because I'm biased, but regardless, they did a good enough job on a beer that I didn't let get overhyped for myself and it delivered. It does have a surprisingly light mouthfeel, definitely no "chew" on this one, which is good. I could probably knock back a couple of this and really enjoy myself.

---

Bottle:
I tried this one out of the bottle as well. It was nice, but it did lack some of the creaminess that I felt I got on draught and there isn't much there for aroma either. Perhaps they filter for the bottle?

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%

3.76/5  rDev -0.3%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Did you buy the milk stout? yeah you did. But it has COOKIES and it's from BALMER HON! Let's see what gives?

Boy this is real dark and has a very inky pour. Nearly black but just a hint of brown to it. Two finger barely tall for the head, very light tan and coffee brown. Manages a good thin puck and collar while settling.

Bit of lactose like souring going on, or possible mild acrid quality, but nothing horid. Milk and dark chocolate starts to dominate as it warms, a bit of chewy quality also. Fairly decent.

Palate brings a nice mild and milky texture. Fairly balanced with a soft roast and mild bitterness. Not particularly sweet but a hint of bakers like chocolate in the mid palate a bit. Finishes a little dry, much of the sourness hinted on the nose doesn't luckily come through on the palate. A bit of playful carbonation but the fizzy quality has some jarring to it.

Overall fairly decent and ok.

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

I've had this been on tap and out of the bottle. I prefer it on tap but it's excellent both ways. I could drink this stuff every day and it's one of the best chocolate stout beers out there. People have said it doesn't taste like a Berger cookie but I think the chocolate part does and it's well balanced with the vanilla

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Berger Cookie Chocolate Stout from Full Tilt Brewing