Fully Tilted Baltimore Pale Ale - Full Tilt Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 24 | Reviews: 2
Reviews by JohnParadee:
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a lot more malty than I was expecting. Hop character could clearly be more pronounced. But the beer is very clean overall. Maybe too clean? Could use some more substance, imo. Decent, but not something I would go back to.

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a teku. A bit past its prime, but I knew that on purchase.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color. The head is a finger high and off-white in shade. I'm not terribly impressed by the retention, and only minimal lacing is left on the glass. (3)

Smell: The smell smacks of an old-school IPA - lots of nutty, caramel-laden malt does most of the heavy lifting here, while the hops are mostly herbaceous and leafy (rather than citrusy or fruity). The oak gives it a slight touch of vanilla as well. Like I said, this is definitely an old-school IPA in execution; as much as I prefer a more modern IPA, this is pulled off quite well. (3.5)

Taste: This initially has a strange skunky taste to it - the hell? This wasn't light-struck, and was kept in a cold walk-in fridge. Luckily, that goes away past the second sip, being replaced by an opening salvo of tobacco, flowers, and grass; the finish retains the same nutty maltiness that I enjoyed in the standard Baltimore Pale Ale. Just like the nose suggested, oak is fairly subtle, showing off light finishing hints of wood and vanilla. I could kvetch about the lack of tropical fruit...no, I'll stop entertaining such a notion. It's a satisfying brew filled with twists and turns, and that makes up for its lack of impressive IPA qualities. (3.75)

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and rather sweet on the finish, but there's still a decent drinkability thanks to a tannic palate presence. Carbonation is rather low. (3.5)

Overall: This is honestly more of a strong ale to me...but I don't care. No, this is not a bad beer at all. The malt presence is assertive yet not ridiculous, the hops balance things nicely, and the oak gives it a unique touch. Hey, Full Tilt made an old-school IPA I thoroughly enjoyed, rather than a modern IPA that leaves me full of loathing and disappointment. Respect. (3.5)

3.57/5: More solid work from Full Tilt