Big Chuck Barleywine - Portside Distillery & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Portside Distillery & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Barleywine |  11.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 04-21-2014)
Reviews by ONUMello:
3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Opaque brown with a 2+ finger head that lingers
S: Sweet roasted malt, some fig and sweet cherries
T: Matches the nose. Sweet malt, fig, cherries and alcohol. Bitter finish
M: Sweet, full-bodied, boozy
O: I love drinking local beers but this one is a bit too sweet and too much alcohol even for a barleywine

ONUMello, Jun 14, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Dave11899, Jul 07, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

BamfBacon, Saturday at 09:08 PM

1424IpA, Jul 13, 2014
1.58/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Unfortunately this is one of the worst beers, let alone Barley Wines I've ever had the discomfort of trying. To be fair, I'm not a seasoned drinker, and have only been "into" Craft Beers for about two years now. Still, I typically like Barley Wines, but I find Big Chuck to be blatantly unacceptable.

While the packaging is a wonderful nod to a Cleveland local, the taste is abysmal. Honestly tasting far closer to a cheap wine than a traditional barley wine. Perhaps this would sit better with wine experts than beer fans, but considering what my expectations were I'm pretty disappointed.

In regards to the relatively new Portside Brewery / Distillery, I had previously tried some of their Hopped Rum, and rather loved it. But this being my first tasting of one of their beers, it might be my last. I really need to stress that this does not (to me) taste like any barley wine I've ever encountered, the best of which I've personally tried being Stone's Old Guardian. It just tastes like cheap Merlot in a can, certainly not worth the $11.99 I paid for a four-pack of cans.

It's also worth considering that I do have a bit of a bias towards canned beers, but I don't think even a bottle or draft treatment would salvage this barley wine. Likewise, I'm typically a fan of the IPA variety, but almost always enjoy the barley wines I've tried. Big Chuck though, is just sour and borderline putrid. I forced myself to finish the first can, and am unsure if the other three will be downed by myself.

AJmon13, May 09, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

muraco3, May 03, 2014
3.64/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - The beer was a little darker than I am used to seeing in a barleywine. The mocha colored head foamed up like a rootbeet float. I will have to play the waiting game before I can drink this one.

Smell - In the aroma, I detect dry malts as well as some dark fruits. The alcohol is detectable in the aroma. Overall, the nose of this one is a little weak.

Taste - On the initial taste, I detect dark fruits and burnt sugar. The level of carbonation quickly brushes these sensations away. Bread notes and perhaps a hint of tobacco is detectable. Toward the back, the dark fruits seems to sour slightly. As an American barleywine, Big Chuck really lacks a hop presence. It seems to closer to an English barleywine with modest sweetness.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is a little over the top, but it lends itself well to the nuances in the beer.

Overall - I have been digging in the yard all day and wanted a high ABV beer because my knees are killing me. The 11% ABV hits that target. This is not a great barleywine, but I would drink it again.

JohnnyHopps, Jun 26, 2014
3.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is a good barleywine, but not the best. As a Clevelander, I love the label and the name. I picked it up just for that. It is strong at 11.7% but the alcohol is covered pretty well. I've never had anything else from Portside, but I am excited to try the rest of the their stuff.

EricHeff, Apr 25, 2014
Big Chuck Barleywine from Portside Distillery & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.