The Imperial Texan - Martin House Brewing Company

The Imperial TexanThe Imperial Texan

Martin House Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tubeyes on 04-15-2013)
Reviews by ONovoMexicano:
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Pour produces a massive head, that forms into a plateaued peak above the liquid. The head is cream-colored, foamy and persistent. Reminds me of the foam from a root beer float. Somewhat cloudy liquid, amber with brown hues. Shows steady carbonation.

I get a lot of citrus on the nose, some sweet malts and maybe even some vanilla. It's slightly stale, which may be the result of the shipping and wait to drink it.

I get a slight offtaste on the tongue, something metallic and stale. Again, the wait may be to blame. Something earthy in there as well and the citrus is not present. There's a slight spice in there and some floral hop flavor.

The beer has a tiny hint of astringency, low-to medium body and some creaminess. It doesn't taste or feel like an imperial beer.

I'd say it's an average imperial red, although I'd have to try it fresh from the source to know for sure.

02-09-2014 23:33:26 | More by ONovoMexicano

Westyn

08-05-2014 20:05:18 | More by Westyn
gtermi

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Beer pours a nice red body with a half inch thick white head

S: A delicious smell of fresh hops hits me in the face. There is also a nice sweetness to it.

T: Tons of bitter hops and it tastes delicious in this style. It's almost more like and imperial IPA IMO.

M: Strong bit of carbonation on the back of the throat.

O: It's nice to finally have a nice beer from Fort Worth that's actually worth something... Take note Rahr.

04-25-2013 05:51:28 | More by gtermi
ExaltedNecrosis

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

16 oz can poured into oversized tulip glass.

A - Pours a murky copper/brown with orange around the edges when held up to light. The head is massive and creamy off white.

S - Earthy piney hops and caramel sweetness.

T - Sweet and malty up front with caramel, followed closely by bitter piney hops. A bit too bitter for the style I think. Grapefruit hop bitterness lingers.

M - Super smooth and creamy. The head is very fine, and the silky mouthfeel is great on this one. Moderate body, moderate to low carb, silky smooth.

O - My first Martin House brew, and better than I was expecting. A good take on the style with a great mouthfeel. A bit one dimensional but still tasty.

10-13-2013 22:50:53 | More by ExaltedNecrosis

BlueMoon10

Mississippi

05-20-2014 20:44:49 | More by BlueMoon10
twiggamortis420

16 oz tallboy pours a hazed reddish-copper color with a large cap of beige head that is fluffy and sticky.

Nose is sugared grapefruit, caramel, toast and pine sap. Good malt/hop balance.

Nice flow from leafy hops to a toffee malt middle and finishes long and bitter. Maybe a little more hop flavor on the front end would get this beer into the upper echelon of imperial red ales, but as is, it is a mighty fine brew. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a 4-pack for 12 bucks, but now am glad I did. Has alot going on and I cant see this one getting boring. Good stuff!

03-29-2014 18:59:35 | More by twiggamortis420

01-12-2014 19:24:55 | More by jkn09
landfill

4.49/5  rDev +15.4%

great beer overall.

initial taste is very smooth with piney hops and a citrus grapefruit aftertaste.

with it's high alcohol content, it is a very unsuspecting beer.

12 dollars will buy you a 4 pack of 16oz cans. at first I was very skeptical, but after my first taste I could immediately detect high quality ingredients as well as a lot of hard work put into a very well thought out beer. I will definitely be drinking this beer more often.

06-04-2014 03:33:44 | More by landfill

JohnBender

08-04-2013 19:42:03 | More by JohnBender
tubeyes

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

A Dark ruby red, min head and nice lacing.
S lots of caramel and hops.
T lots of hops and caramelly goodness.
M velvety silky smooth and awesome, hoppy aftertaste.
O very awesome and enjoyable beer, with mad strong flavor. Billed as an imperial red ale, had on tap in shaker pint (boo!) at OSDH in Denton (yay!).

04-15-2013 02:41:36 | More by tubeyes
roblowther

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%

A tall can because everything's bigger in Texas! Pours clear copper red with a creamy tan head. The smell is floral hops with a caramel undertone, sort of a souped up pale ale. Taste is sharp, definitely hop dominant. The hops are a bit piney and the finish is dry and sharp. This thing is like a knife covered in razor blades. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, nice "heft" to it. All in all, I like this. It's a bit rough around the edges and a bit one dimensional, but it manages to soften things up a bit with the malt and the alcohol warmth. Its a good beer for a spring day, so who am I to argue?

03-30-2014 16:18:43 | More by roblowther
greenspointexas

12-14-2013 21:02:56 | More by greenspointexas
chiefmoneymaka

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

09-24-2013 21:31:37 | More by chiefmoneymaka
woodychandler

The mighty JenRay comes through with one CAN after the other in support of The CANQuest (TM) and I CANnot thank her enough! I do my best to keep her plied with APAs, AIPAs, and DIPAs, but it CAN never match her CANtributions.

From the CAN: "Made in Texas by Texans"; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable (SM)".

With the Crack!, I salute the great Republic of Texas, which I actually prefer to its neighbor, Oklahoma. Murray and I had a blast in Houston on the Fourth of July, wowed 'em in San Antonio and parted company in Austin. I have been to Dallas, which is Ground Zero for us CANspiracy theorists and the Jurkowskis took me to El Paso. Texas, I drink your beer! I could not maintain the inverted Glug as it was a pounder CAN and I got a tad bit of overflow as it was. It settled into two fingers of dense, obstinate, tawny head that sat like an angry burro and defied anything to happen. Color was Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with a light haze to keep me guessing. Nose was great! Sweet malt was counterbalanced by pine hops for a mouthwatering melange. Mouthfeel was full, dense, thick and laid on my tongue like a dollop of cream. The hops were not playing around and immediately went to work, jackhammering my poor, tender tongue while its unsuspecting tastebuds were lollygagging around, enticed by the sweet, lovely malts. Before any defense could be mounted, the malts slipped away and the hooligan hops began beating on everything in their reach. It was a streetfight in my mouth! Just like the poor soul on the CAN's graphic label, I had not even broken leather and I was shot through the heart. Finish was so intense that I sat down heavily, watching as I bled out, fingers pressed over both my heart and mouth, trying to keep all of the precious liquids inside of me. I think that it was trying to send me a subtle (?) message to keep my dickskinners off of Texas' beers, but I know that they CAN only have my CANs when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. The sticky lacing that remained in its wake was as sticky as my blood, which now stained the streets of Fort Worth. I had been deemed unWorthy.

08-31-2014 00:23:05 | More by woodychandler