DieselPunk Porter - Uberbrew

No picture uploaded.

Uberbrew
Montana, United States

American Porter |  5.52% ABV

(Beer added by: jmdrpi on 05-09-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

ohiobeer29, Jul 30, 2013

Trent, Dec 27, 2013

kilobees, May 09, 2014
2.41/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a four pack of Uberbrew's DieselPunk Porter a few days ago for $4.49 at Krogers. I have never heard of this brewery, they just kind of popped up out of nowhere which makes me think that they might be owned by one of the big three brewery's. It's been a little while since I have had a Porter, so let see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the way the can looks, it's got a real Steampunk look to it that goes with the name nicely, it does a good job at sticking out. It poured a darker maroon color that took on a nice crimson hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, the head and lacing were pretty good looking, but the color was just a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly high amount of sweetness that has a sweet malt like aroma to it that's followed by a caramel malt aroma with hardly and roasted aromas. Up next I get a doughy yeast aroma and a slight bit of dark fruits. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty sweet with pretty much no roasted aromas, it's not too Porter like.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a sweet and stale malt flavor with hardly any toasted flavors with caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast and a molasses like flavor. On the finish there's some noticeable hops with a slightly higher amount of lighter bitterness with a slightly toasted and stale malt like aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that good, the flavors wasn't that true to style with the roasted malts only showing up in the aftertaste.

M- Fairly smooth, s little watery, crisp, medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation that felt a little prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't true to style, it felt too watery with some out of place prickly carbonation.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and it was a pretty poor example of an American Porter since hardly any aspects of this beer were true to style, if i didn't know what style of beer this was I don't think I would guess this was an American Porter, it tastes more like a shitty Black Ale. This beer barely had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth and none of the flavors were offensive, but the flavors did a poor job at holding my attention and one pint is more than enough for me, no way I would want another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty good, the color was a little light, but the head and lacing were pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was how untrue to the style it was, hardly anything about this beer makes me think of an American Porter. I wouldn't buy this again and I'm a little pissed that I bought a four pack of this, it was pretty damn cheap for a four pack of pint cans but I guess I got what I paid for and more than likely the rest of cans will go for cooking, I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer at all, it was a pretty poor example of the style. I'm not sure about this brewery, the more I drink this beer the more I think this is just a way for one of the big guys to get in the craft beer scene. Better go back to the drawing board guys, this beer sucks.

StoutHunter, Jun 23, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.25 A: Clear dark brown color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is good and glass covering lacing is left.

3.75 S: This smells a lot like amaretto and hazelnut coffee. Fairly sweet and roasty with caramel and toastiness. Smells quite nice, but doesn't have a lot of depth.

3.25 T: The taste is good, but like the nose it lacks depth. Roasty with hints of chocolate, caramel, hazelnut, and coffee.

2.75 M: Lighter body. The carbonation is a bit aggressive, but it's okay. Lacking body and creaminess.

3.0 D: It's okay, but nothing to go crazy over.

DavoleBomb, Apr 14, 2014

Waymore, May 25, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

emerald27, Sep 01, 2014
4.46/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a stout glass head fairly small and is a dark cream color a little darker than cinnamon butter you sometimes get at restaurants. Body of the beer is very dark pretty well impervious to light short of the edges where some leaks through. Smell is very chocolatey with a very slight cherry essence. Tastes great, slightly bitter-sweet chocolate and smooth across the tongue with lingering bitterness that fades within a few seconds. Overall I'd get it again, a nice random pick up from the grocery store.

Cozuma, Apr 07, 2014

IrishRacer, Jun 11, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

The beer poured a nice dark brown color with a TON of head (about 4 fingers). It smells very toasty and roasted. Sipping it I get a lot of coffee and especially roasted malt.

Its a VERY nice beer to drink. The liquid is smooth both in feel and taste. Drinking it was very enjoyable, in fact that's the thing that comes to mind the most "This feels nice to drink". A very good beer to try if you like the dark stuff!

Ryan696, May 16, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -5%

MadWolf, Jun 24, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brewer notes 35 IBU

Served from the tap at the brewpub in downtown Billings MT.

Appears very dark brown, not quite black. thin off white head that fades. Aroma is mild roastiness, not really any hops flavor. Taste is a bit bitter from coffee and cocoa flavors, a little smokiness too. Medium body, with higher carbonation. works for the beer, nice easy drinking session style brew.

jmdrpi, May 09, 2013

Moore568, Aug 01, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours with a nice one finger head, off-white in color. This brew appears almost black. Head settles down but does not disappear. Excellent lacing.

S: Immediate on the nose is roasted malt, alcohol, and fresh yeast. This beer smells very fresh.

T: Taste is similar to first impression/smell. Roasted malt up front, generous carbonation, fading into molasses, and finally finishing out with bitter hop at the end.

M: This beer does not feel as heavy as it looks. It has generous, nice mouth feel up front, but finishes lighter and dry.

O: I really like this beer. I was pleasantly surprised. I can tell that care and thought went into the brewing of this beer. If I were to brew it I might try to finish it out with a bit higher final gravity. I will be looking forward to more from Uberbrew.

Nastravi, May 29, 2013

prosk8er480, Aug 12, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

I picked this up because I had a hankering for porter and not much cash. I'd never seen a dark beer in pint cans before, and I was intrigued by the label art.

A. Poured from a pint can into a pint glass. Pours a dark, chocolatey brown with some mahogany color around the edges when held up to light. Billowing tan head shoots up even with a gentle pour, but subsides fairly quickly. By the time the pint is halfway through, the head is completely gone and can't be roused.

S. Lots of sweet caramel malt up front followed by just a hint of alcohol. My sense of smell isn't great, but I can't detect any hops or roasty/coffee notes. Not a whole lot going on besides sweetness.

T. There's a huge, surprising bitterness on the first sip that really takes you off guard following the almost cloying aroma. It just tastes messy. Too much hops fighting with a kind of acrid bitter coffee flavor. As it warms, the cloying sweetness from the nose starts to creep in and overwhelm the already cluttered flavors.

M. The thickness is more or less on par for a porter - thinner and more drinkable than a stout, but with enough body to discourage chugging. The carbonation seems to explode out of it though. It's very lively, almost excessively so, for the first few sips, but it starts to feel flat and oily about halfway through. Drink it ice cold if you're going to at all.

O. I shouldn't have been swayed by the label art. This beer just doesn't work. It's too strong for a porter, and the hops and the malts don't blend well. I suppose I should have expected as much for a $6 four-pack of pint cans, but I had to give it a try. Will not buy again.

EOsborne, Jun 06, 2014