Dieselpunk Stout - Uberbrew

to view more.
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 13
Reviews by RyanLigeia:
3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured into a Smuttynose big beer series snifter.

Sits in the glass a brown so dark it almost appears to be black. When held to the light you can see some brown hues towards the top and sides but it still remains opaque. A slightly hard pour yields about a finger and a half of beige head that dissipates within minutes.

The smell is of roasted malts and pretty one dimensional. A get a slight hint of vanilla extract too but thats really it.

That vanilla extract-like taste comes through a little more on the tongue but again Im getting only that and a generic roasted malt character. This one also has a slightly metallic aftertaste that I dont care for.

The body is a little thinner than I like in a stout, also has a little more carbonation than I'd prefer.

Overall its definitely a drinkable brew. Not awful and it does get better as it warms up but I wont be buying this one again.

3.22/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours very black with a very long lasting tan head.

S - Some coffee and chocolate with a hint of roasted grains.

T - Coffee and chocolate with a malt finish.

M - Good carbonation and "creaminess"

O - A decent enough stout that is worth a try.

1.36/5  rDev -57.1%

One of the worst beers I've ever drank. I'd rather drink bud light.

2.99/5  rDev -5.7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention is decent, but there isn't much lacing at all. The brew smells like roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and malted milk balls. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like roasted malt, chocolate, malted milk balls, and a bit of coffee. Mouthfeel/body is light, seems thin for a stout but it's not hard to drink. Not a bad brew overall, but certainly not one of the better stouts I've had. Picked up a single bottle as part of a mixed 6-pack at Kroger this morning. I wouldn't buy a 6-pack of this, but it's worth trying as a single.

2.86/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a bottle into tulip glass.

Appearance - One finger light tan head that dissipates quickly. Nice amount of lacing on the side of the glass. I like my stouts to be BLACK AS NIGHT! And this one is.

Smell - unfortunately and oddly, I cannot smell anything from this beer.

Taste - very light tastes of cocoa and maybe a tinge of vanilla. The taste is very very light. I feel like maybe this would be a good beginner beer for somebody who does not particularly like dark beers as it does not have a full powerful taste, which I like.

Mouthfeel - okay

Overall - This is an okay, average offering of the Stout style. It is something that I have no problem with drinking and enjoying for an evening, but it is something that I would not go seek out again in the future.

2.36/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This bottle may have been a bit dated and it might have sat for awhile as I picked it up as a "build-your-own" six pack from the local grocery store. My fault, not the brew, however, rating on my sample lead to this low review.

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

First off, the bottle of beer that I have was not brewed in Montana. It says on the side that it was brewed by "World Brews, Rochester, NY." A quick internet search revealed that this brewing company is also known as "Brewmaster's Choice" and as "Genesee Brewery." Suddenly, drinking this beer feels like being in an episode of "The X-Files."

Appearance: 2.75: Black, but slightly brown around the edges. White, CO2 head that never got above a few milimeters in height.

Smell 2.75: Flat bouquet. Very slight smell of chocolate, perhaps from chocolate malt.

Taste 2.75: Front is slightly sweet and tastes washed out. Middle is smoky and chocolatey, but also has a weakness to it. Finish focuses on the malt tastes, with a slight hoppiness and more of the smoke. Aftertaste is short, somewhat sweet and reminiscent of what you would receive after drinking a sugar-free soft drink.

Mouthfeel 2.75: Watery, slightly harsh with pricky CO2 bubbles. Definitely below "okay."

Overall 2.75: Not the best stout I have ever had. This beer...something about it made me not want to try it, but I thought, "why not?" This beer tastes mass-produced, kind of like a Blue Moon attempt at a stout. Glad I got it through a beer-for-beer trade. It is off all over the place: look, smell, etc. Not recommended.

3.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.0 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is below average and a few wisps of lacing are left.

3.75 S: This smells a lot like the porter I just drank. Roastiness, hazelnut coffee, toastiness, caramel, chocolate. Pretty good.

3.5 T: It tastes like the porter too, but it has more depth. Chocolate, caramel, roastiness, toastiness, hazelnut coffee. Not amazing, but drinks super easy.

3.25 M: Light to lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lightly creamy and super smooth.

3.75 D: This is so damn easy to drink. That's about all I need to say.

3.12/5  rDev -1.6%

I believe it is now being brewed under WorldBrews out of Rochester, NY and not Uberbrew. The alcohol content is the same (5.8%) and the review below seems to be spot on with what I experienced.

sm - not any overwhelming notes. A little roasted malt, some hints of chocolate and tobacco.

a - very dark brown, no transparency. light khaki head that doesn't last more than 10 seconds.

t- a very light stout, which I find ironic as dieselpunk is "brewed for taste." It is a very, very drinkable stout and the 5.8% abv is definitely not apparent in the flavor, which is a nice addition. lightly carbonated, it's a smooth drink with no hoppy or bitter back end.

mf - not very creamy, just tickles the tongue and slides right down the gullet.

overall - There are better stouts out there, but this is one that's not going to fill you up or make you feel too heavy.

3.27/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured in a rocks glass, decent stout.

3.19/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Says "World Brews - Bottled in Rochester, New York", but it's the same beer. $8.49 six-pack randomly chosen at Kroger. Poured into Samuel Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A crystal clear ruby black with a nice two finger head. It bubbled away pretty quickly though, and there's very little lacing to speak of. Eh.

Smell: It just has that aroma of "cheapness" ... like it's not the highest quality of malts. Chocolate. Mild roast. Maybe some coffee and char notes. Dark fruits a bit as it warms. Really just doesn't reek of quality like some of the more well-known breweries.

Taste/feel: Well, it hits your tongue with pretty heavy carbonation, and a thin feel. My tongue got coated with a slight copper-like flavor, and very mild roast notes. That unusual metallic bitterness puts me off a touch. The flavor is incredibly light until the aftertaste, which is the best part of this beer. After swallowing, I get a more robust roast flavor. I find it strange that I get that much flavor on the end, but nothing anywhere else.

Just an A-OK stout... pretty much what I expected given the price. Without a doubt, the best part of Dieselpunk is the aftertaste. That pleasant roast flavor lingers awhile, and I approve of that. This is one of the lightest stouts I've ever had in terms of mouth feel, and the alcohol isn't all that high, so you could have a few of these quite easily. You aren't missing out on much if you haven't had this beer. I'll be honest with you, I grabbed this six-pack because I thought the label was eye-catching. Fortunately for me, even though I don't care much for this beer, I don't hate it. I'll have no trouble finishing the last five.

4.49/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampling now on 4/30/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a dark brownish/black in color with a small khaki head that leaves good lacing when sipped. The aroma is pretty much like other stouts with roasted malt with a hint of coffee and toffee. The taste was very smooth with the roasted malt upfront with the taste of coffee afterwards. No bitter taste either. Really like this one.

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Dark black with a nice 1.5 inch head, thick creamy lacing.

Smell - Roasted malts, nut, fig, light brown sugar/molasses sugary aroma. Faint chocolate and mocha at the finish.

Taste - First sip is creamy mix of malts and chocolate. Malts make up a large portion of flavor. Some mil chocolate and lactose milk come in next. A little plum/raison sweet fruit note, but in all, about all that's going on.

Mouthfeel - Light malts, chocolate coats the tongue. Palate gets some sugars, lactose and chocolate. The aftertaste is chocolate and a little watery.

Overall - Its ok, nothing special. Very light, easy to drink without any big, bold flavors. A good starter or for someone looking for a light stout.

to view more.