Trappist Westvleteren Special 6 - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren Special 6Trappist Westvleteren Special 6

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Red Cap)

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-31-2004)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BeerAndBourbon

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

1986 vintage. Thanks Cam!

A. Pours brown with amber with just a touch of a head.

S. Smells of raisin, hints of caramel/toffee

T. Raisin is the most prominent. The toffee is not as prominent as in the nose.

M. Very thin with low level of carbonation.

D. Delicious, but definitely suffers a bit from the age. Can't believe I got to try this one. Awesome!

10-21-2011 00:56:37 | More by BeerAndBourbon
Urbancaver

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Bill... You are my hero...

1986 vintage
A gift from the gods

Pours a murky orangeish brown, nice yellowish tint. Some nice white head. Looks pretty phenomenal. Smells incredible. Rich malts, vanilla, amazing nose. Tastes malty, a touch of vanilla. The beer tastes great... The mouthfeel is a bit lacking but man it's tasty. Overall, a very enjoyable

10-21-2011 00:46:34 | More by Urbancaver
brew3crew

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Bottle courtesy of urbancaver. Wow!this is actually happening

A-earthy red color with no head whatsoever. Looks like a nice port

S-very sweet with a nice bit of malt

T-this is unreal. Sooo smooth aand delicious. Maybe a little bit of sweet cherries. I wan to drink all of this. Damn.

M-medium body and smooth

O-holy crap. This is a wonderful beer. Wish they made more of this!

10-21-2011 00:41:24 | More by brew3crew
UGADawgGuy

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to the legendary generosity of BA Brabander, I had the singular experience of enjoying one of the relatively few remaining bottles of this stuff today. Although there was no date discernible on the slightly rusty bottle cap (or anywhere else), I was told that this beer was probably bottled in 1986, if I remember correctly. That would make it approximately 25 years old at the time I tried it...and it's apparently been stored AT WESTVLETEREN ABBEY the entire time. This is a truly incredible find.

Appearance: Just what I would expect of a Belgian dark ale, minus any hint of carbonation. I have to attribute that to the beer's extended age, and from that standpoint, it's not a big deal. When poured into a generic trappist-style chalice and held up to the light, Special 6 is a uniformly murky mahogany color with an unusually clear, shallow "watery" layer floating at the very top. Again, I'd attribute that to the beer's age and carbonation loss.

Smell: Now we're getting somewhere. I'm a well-known malt aficionado, which means I favor beers on the sweet side of the spectrum. And, man, this beer has that in spades (no doubt due in part to its age). A whiff of this stuff conjures up memories of the first time I ever tried vintage Schneider Aventinus, which is one of my two all-time favorite beers. I get honey, amber-doppelbock-style malt, and faint hints of toffee and Tootsie Rolls. If that sounds bad, ignore it; it's meant to be a compliment. This beer smells GREAT, especially considering its extended age and relatively low ABV. While I do pick up some sherry-like notes, the telltale odor of oxidation is absent -- I guess I got lucky in this regard, based on what I see in other relatively recent reviews.

Taste: Absolutely unique, in my experience...and absolutely flawless. This is on par with the very best foods and beverages I've tried during the course of my lifetime. Sweet-yet-subtle honey, milk chocolate, toffee, and mildly earthy clay are united in a cohesive masterpiece. I've got to be honest -- since this low-ABV beer is as old as it is, I went into this prepared for the scattered, incongruous mess most such beers would be at this point. Instead, I was met with perfection. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: While excusable due to age, Special 6's mouthfeel is sorely lacking in the carbonation necessary to support its flavor. Put simply, this beer is flat, save for a faint rumor of prickliness on the back of the tongue with each swallow. Oh, to have had this beer ten years ago...but, then, its flavor and aroma may very well not have been this coalescent back then, and I know I wouldn't have been ready to appreciate it at age 22. At any rate, the mouthfeel is clearly this beer's weakest suit, 25 years after bottling. This is not a surprise.

Overall: I feel a little bit strange giving a 4.5 overall score to a beer whose mouthfeel merited only a 2.0, but in the greater context of the beer's age and stellar delivery in other areas, I believe it warrants a near-perfect overall score. This beer's flavor alone makes it possibly the best beer I've ever tried, and I can't attribute its lack of carbonation to some flaw in its construction. This is a masterfully crafted beer, as evidenced by its incredibly long shelf life and aging curve at such a low ABV.

If you like malty/sweet beers and can get your hands on a bottle of this stuff, I would recommend doing so at almost any cost. To have what is now one of the most elusive and lesser-known beers from one of the world's most expert breweries has been a once-in-a-lifetime treat, and it's one you should have, too. I owe Brabander big-time for this...one of my all-time finest beer-drinking experiences.

Truly incredible!

07-03-2011 04:49:11 | More by UGADawgGuy
trappistlover

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

(11.2 oz bottle courtesy of Alpar!) I’m still very humbled that he included this in our last trade! Many, many thanks for sending one of my major whales. Pours cloudy caramel with an off-white head (I got the bottom of the bottle). Aroma has candied sugar, caramel and some port-like notes. Taste is sweet reminiscent of tootsie roll/chocolate. Thin bodied with oily texture. The finish was quite smooth. This beer held up marvelously for its age

04-23-2011 18:45:52 | More by trappistlover
fewa

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Cap dates 18-05-98. Poured into a westvleteren glass. The beer pours a brown color with a nice light-brown head. Smell: some red wine notes, red fruits (mainly cherries), sweet plums and some wooden hints. Taste: Sour fruits combined with sweet plums, rasins and roasted malts with some wooden aftertaste. Hints of clove as well. Mouthfeel is medium, with nice medium-high carbonation. Overall, great beer, still in perfect condition. A must try for every true westvleteren fan!

04-11-2011 18:57:59 | More by fewa
AgentZero

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Closed out our Epic Chicago Tasting with this one. Provided by me, nothing like being shit-faced at 2 am after 36 beers and then doing one of these rarities for the hell of it.

A - A reddish-brown color, pretty opaque, with a small white head. The head had surpringly decent retention, and faded to a partial cap. Some spot and chunks left on the sides.

S - Carmel, dark fruits, and the usual belgian notes, although this one (for obvious reasons) had a bit of oxidation in there. Surpringly sweet smelling and good for something thi old.

T - Fruity, belgian yeast, little bit of candied sugar, additional dark fruits, and a healthy dose of caramel complete a sweet pallate. The oxidation adds a little souring effect, and there is a little bit of chalk, but it is not horrible. A couple of others who had sampled this before stated this was a much better bottle. Good to hear.

M - Full bodied, slightly less carbonation than I would like, but it is old. Smooth and syrupy, little gritty.

D - Pretty good beer, would have loved to try it in its heyday, but just happy I got to have it.

02-22-2011 22:53:48 | More by AgentZero
Apophis666

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, here goes my first review, and what a beer it is!

I had the honour to try the Westy Special 6 at Thijs' (Brabander) beer tasting session.

A very nice looking beer (especially concidering it's age) with more carbonation than I expected.
Smell was slightly sour (oxidization) and a bit spicy.
Taste was somewhat sweet and spicy with a slight sour touch.
Even though oxidization as set in, it was still very drinkable and tasty!

Thank you again Thijs for this once in a lifetime opportunity!

12-17-2010 21:49:54 | More by Apophis666
Brabander

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Yes my friends, this was a hell of a beer! I visited the abbey a month ago. I had an appointment with the guys from the Sierra Nevada brewerie who were allowed to visit the abbey. I was invited to go with them which was a great honour.

Because i was there first, the SN guys had to come from Brugge, i asked for brother Michael. He and i have very good contact since the last couple of months. He was also the one who asked me to stop the shipping of parcels to the states (which i did).

He asked me if i needed some beer! My answer was of course YES PLEASE!! He took me to the storage room which was packed with westy crates, sheer heaven. I humbly asked for four crates of the 12 and one crate of the blond. He took the crates and i paid him.

After that something incredibly nice happened. He told me he had a gift for me and he gave me a sixpack with three extra8 bottle and three special redcaps. They had never left the abbey!!!

I was superexited and all i had for him was a lost bottle of La Trappe bockbeer i had in the car.

After a very nice tour in the abbey i ended the day with a visit to Urbain, the Struise brouwers. He got two bottles of the sixpack from me as a thank you for all the good work he is doing for us beerlovers. And the other four bottles were consumed last sunday with my BA buddy's Jeff, Erik and Sietse.

Now the beer! Poured in the glass the beer looked stunning for its age. Spicy with a light sourness but very good to drink. A bit of oxidation but my oh my, what a treat!

Thanks brother Michael for this wonderfull gift!

12-15-2010 16:42:41 | More by Brabander
Jeffo

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

The old, retired Westvleteren 6 - Red Cap. This is one of those beers you hear about in fairy tales, myths and ledgends, but don't really believe it exists. Well, thanks to Brabander and the monks at St. Sixtus, we got to see it with our own eyes.

Part of an amazingly fun tasting at Babander's place last night, which included five Westvleteren beers, two of which have long been retired. The tasting included the 12, 8, blond, Special 6 - red cap, as well as the Extra - light blue cap, which isn't even listed on the site. Thanks heaps for the fun filled day Thijs!

From a bottle into a small tulip.
Vintage: Early 90's.
Note: Reviewed this as an aged beer.

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium sized, off-white head with pretty good retention. Reddish-brown in color, cloudy, with medium carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a decent wisp, leaving some decent lacing down the glass. For almost twenty years, it looks wonderful still.

SMELL: Touch of caramel malt, with some fruity notes in there. Mostly red fruits; raspberries are apparent. Some spicy yeast aromas, as well as off, sour notes unfortunately. Oxidization is definitely starting to play a role, though it is still holding up.

TASTE: Caramel malt and red fruit again. Some spicy notes, such as coriander and thyme, along with the yeasty flavors. Definitely starting to sour as well, but it's not too far along yet. Aftertaste is bold and lingering, with spicy, yeasty notes and some sour tones from the oxidization.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Lighter on the palate, though still nice and creamy, goes down fine and finishes relatively dry. Has held up really well here.

OVERALL: At this point the beer is starting to oxidize, and it is most likely quite different than it was ten years ago, let alone when it was first brewed. If you've got a bottle, I'd suggest opening it sooner rather than later. That said, this was a real treat, and probably the most exciting experience I've had in the world of beer. Besides the fact that this is one of the rarest beers that is still somewhat attainable, it is also one of the better aged beers of this ABV that I've had. Twenty years at 6.2% is no joke, and despite the effects of age, this one held up pretty well indeed. It was the hit of the tasting and everyone had positive things to say about it. Definitely still worth tracking down and drinking if you're interested in aged beer. I'm very glad to have had the chance to try it while it is still possible. Thanks again Thijs, for the beer experience of a lifetime.

12-13-2010 10:24:01 | More by Jeffo
jrallen34

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

I had this from the bottle into a Westy glass at Akkurat. Very excited to try this! Dated 10 22 2000, so this is a 1995 bottle.

The beer pours with light carbonation a very dead beer showing off its age. Its light clearish brown with hints of amber, almost see through. Light tan head only rises about half a finger and is gone right away, light lacing. There is at least half a centimeter of dark yeast at the bottom.. The aroma is super nice and complex, totally mellowed out over the time. Has really muted the sugar and alcohol that presents in the regular westy. Shows off tons of caramel and dark fruits, its sweet but very nice...The taste is sadly a huge let down, clearly anything 1995 or older is well past its prime. The taste is really muted only shows off a little dark fruit then from there all chalk and alcohol. Its really really bad...The feel actually is pretty good, but could hardly finish a bottle that was split.

This is one of those white whales that is all about the chase. Its past its prime and not worth getting now. Wish I could have had one in its day and give it the proper review it probably deserves.

07-03-2010 16:35:36 | More by jrallen34
RblWthACoz

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear dark amber brown. This seems to be on the tail end of it's life of drinkability, but it still works enough to enjoy. There are tones of chalk on hearty leafy edges. More hearty than I would have guessed. Still after 14 years it's nice. And I don't think the rarity of this one is skewing my judgement.

06-20-2010 03:55:49 | More by RblWthACoz
pwoods

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Big thanks to WeeHeavySD on RB for sharing this gem while I was in San Diego.

330ml unmarked brown bottle with a red cap poured into a chalice. Vintage 1996.

Pours a light brownish amber color with plenty of light coming through. Still plenty of head with decent retention and some lacing. Smells great. I would easily be able to tell this is a Westy if it was in a blind tasting... as paytoplay put it, "it has that Westvleteren stamp on it". Very well put. Pleasant caramel and light dark fruitiness. No alcohol. Nice soft yeast. Body is medium full and rich. Drinks very easily. Really an awesome beer and I can't believe it's held up.

04-22-2010 01:17:19 | More by pwoods
PapaEugene

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

The highlight of another beertasting with rvdoorn. The retired and aged Westvleteren 6. A 1996 vintage.

A: Lightbrown/orange color with a lightbrown head.

S: My first impression was vintage kriek like Cantillon or Boon. Cherries, woody and some red wine.

T: Roasted malts, red fruits, woody, cloves. Slightly bitter and even some liquorisch in the finish.

M: Medium carbonation but rather fast oxidation. A medium body.

D: A unique beer that probably is over its top. HIghly enjoyable nevertheless.

11-02-2009 20:55:10 | More by PapaEugene
rvdoorn

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Probably the rarest beer in the world. I am so happy I can try this unique Trappist beer. Cap says 28-08-98, meaning this should be a 95 or 96 vintage. This must be the "big bang" in terms of taste and flavor of my beer evening with PapaEugene. Carefully opened the bottle with the opener, since I want to keep the cap. Surprisingly, a lot of gas escaped from the bottle when I opened it, even some beer wanted to come out. Wow, I had lots and lots of vintage beers before, but this is truly unique for a 14 year old beer! Poured into a westvleteren glass. The beer pours light-brown-orange-amber-color with a beautiful thick (!!!) light-brown head, which changed into a very nice and sticky lacing. This beer is so lively....

Smell: A bit sour, red wine, tart, red fruits (cherries) and nicely woody. It really reminds me a bit of a kriek (cantillon) or a Flemish old brown ale.

Taste: Red, sour fruits combined with tasty roasted malts. Also here the wood is present, together with some hints of clove. This beer is really pleasantly sour, extremely well balanced with the sweetness of the roasted malts. The aftertaste is medium-bitter and not dry at all. Wait, what do I taste if I roll the beer in my mouth, swallow and inhale some extra air...liquorish, clear liquorish. What an unexpected surprise.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thick bodied and medium carbonation (but for a vintage, high carbonation, unique). The oxidation in the glass is very high though, because the carbonation is almost gone after several minutes.

Overall: This was a truly unique experience. This beer is so different from all the other Westvleteren beers! So full of taste, and this for a vintage of only 6.2 ABV! But, I have to say, that I think this beer has passed its top. It is good, very good, but I think it would be magnificent fresh. What a pity I will never be able to try this one fresh. But I suggest, if you still have a bottle of this rare beer, drink it as soon as possible, and don't wait to long with it.

10-23-2009 23:18:53 | More by rvdoorn
HopHead84

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

1998 vintage. Thanks Masterski. Consumed on 10/10/2009 with Masterski and Overlord. The beer appears dark red with a huge creamy white head.

The nose is very earthy with some bready malt and a clove-like spiciness. There are some mineral notes as well.

The taste is rather funky with a strong earthy presence. I get some mineral, plastic, and spicy clove. The malt is sweet and bready. The finish is very dry with bready malt and a lingering mineral flavor.

10-11-2009 17:58:28 | More by HopHead84
Overlord

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks, Masterski!

Pours a hazy, orange-ish brown. Surprisingly large off-white head.

Smells. ... funky? Some interesting spices, pepper, and ... cloves? Some malt in there.

Taste-wise, this is clearly at the ass-end of the drinkable spectrum. If you're sitting on these, drink them now.

Spices, pepper, dark, sweet malt, and a bit of a mineral earthy quality to it. As it warms, it sweetens a bit, and the spices fade.

Surprisingly bubbly.

10-11-2009 08:52:54 | More by Overlord
MasterSki

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

1998 vintage, served in a goblet.

A - Well, it still looks good - Poured with a finger of off-white foam that dissipated to a solid cap and thick ring. Murky orange-raisin color.

S - The smell is...not what I was expecting. Peppery spice, earthy, wet dog, super vinous, starting to go a little lacto-sour. As it warms a little more of the original flavor comes out with some candy sugar, Belgian yeast, etc.

T - Taste is less funky, with more oxidized Belgian dark character to it. It's actually a little bit bland.

M - Carbonation is still good, feel is quite appropriate to style. Some nice dryness in the finish.

D - I was happy to try 4oz, but this is way past its prime. Still it was interesting, and not all that bad.

10-11-2009 01:39:42 | More by MasterSki
kappldav123

Germany

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

The bottle looks really good. No label - which brewery can do that? The beer is quite dark, not much foam. Starts spicy, a little bit woody, also a bit earthy. The finish is almost a bit vapid, for a short moment spicy again. I think the beer is already a bit over its top.

Big thanks to yespr for the bottle!

07-28-2009 05:34:17 | More by kappldav123
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

1996 vintage purchased from the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam online.

Red cap, says 26 6 98

A big whaff of yeast hits my nosebuds when I popped the cap. It pours a hazy to cloudy rust colour with about a 1 finger head of foam. Tilting my glass, the lacing is superb!

The smell has a strong yeasty nose with also strong notes of candy sugar, spice(pepper), and an overall earthy nose. Some tartness here as well.

The taste starts off very yeasty and tart with a mild flavour of white pepper, and when I say tart, I don't mean in your face sourness, no, it's much more subtle than that and goes superbly with the yeasty tones that dominate this brew. The candy sugar sweetness is also subtle but at just the right level for my palate. Wow. There's a lot of fruitiness here as well with some flavours of grapes and plums.

I just poured the rest of the bottle and it turns a dark cloudy brown. Usually, the best to be found in a Belgian Ale shows up in that final pour. I can't say that anything improved with that last pour...it tastes the same...brilliant! And..I'm not just saying that because of its rarity or the cost to me getting it. It's just bloody amazing.

Btw, head retention=first class. Lacing dropped off a bit after the first pour. Taste and drinkability=off the charts. Mouthfeel=on the light side but worked extremely well.

Bottom line: Would I seek this out again? It's expensive as hell and isn't always available, even from the Cracked Kettle, but the answer is...yes!

04-19-2009 17:20:33 | More by Bitterbill
brdc

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Thanks TurdFurgison for this one. 1998 bottling if I am not mistaken.

Poured into a goblet, I am already amazed by the fact the deep ruby colored beer with golden highlights has a reasonably thick light tan head that holds very well, and leaves some nice lacing.
Aroma is mostly of dark fruits, but has yeasty notes, caramel, cardamom, coriander, other unidentifiable smells, all blending quite well, and still quite noticeable.
Velvety on the palate, mostly sweet maltiness, earthy notes, caramel, dark fruits, figs, cardamom again. Still finishes dry.
It is amazing how well this has been maintained, with such a low ABV. Belgian monks really know their stuff.

02-22-2009 01:44:16 | More by brdc
ggaughan

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle (from 1996) at Akkurat in Stokholm. I had been searching for this beer for awhile and it took a trip to Sweden to find it. Beer poured a deep amber color with a slight haze in the body but fairly clear. The aroma was earthy and a bit scotchy. The taste was sweet, almost port like. This beer appears to have held up very well as there was still a malty character to the beer but no real hop presence as expected. Overall a damn find beer that is worth the cost to me.

08-24-2008 08:54:24 | More by ggaughan
basica

Singapore

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Trappist Westvleteren 6 (VINTAGE 1998) (Rating 10/10) - 6.2 ABV - 28 September 2007

This one is none other than my toughest find in the world of beers; not only is it the revered Westvleteren, it is a Westvleteren Special 6 from 1998 which is its last year of brew. A mighty THANK YOU to one of my Belgian beer friend, Christelle, for getting this for me. I know that
folks have yearned for this much sought after red cap and I myself had went through much before finally getting to Christelle who managed to get me 2 bottles straight from the Kulminator in Antwerp and have it shipped thousands of miles to Singapore into my very arms! It's a true godsend and now with the rambling out of the way, lets get down to reviewing this great beer. The bottle was capped tight and I had some trouble cracking it open; when I did an immediately vinous aroma flows out; I poured it carefully into my Abdij St Sixtus chalice. The Special 6 pours out a dark brown color with a thick head with good retention; a good looking bouquet. The smell was like some sort of a pie or sweet pastry with a good amount of breadiness; lot's of sweetness packed in it. Of course aged vinous aromas with dark fruits also form part of the aroma; a very good and sweet smelling beer. It is now all set for me to take my first sip. It has a strong taste of aged dark fruits which includes plums, dates, raisins, berries with a light bready malt backing. The sweet pie like nature was only very subtle. The finish was dry, slightly bitter, and it leaves strong vinous dark fruity, floral and sweet malty aromas on the nose; very nice. The after taste started off with strong dark fruit tastes ranging from dates, plums to raisins and a slight bit of pie or pastry sweetness; some malts on the nose and palates too. Also on the nose as the after taste lingers is a nice everlasting fruity floral aroma. The after taste then then becomes more of grapes and raisins with the familar aged vinous tastes; a very lasting after taste which concludes like a fruity tasting candy. The mouthfeel was slightly creamy and the body was between medium to full but what surprised me was how well the carbonation held up over the years and was still at such a
good level. It was generally light and refreshing and definitely very smooth drinking as I drank up the last few mouthful. The taste of the Westvleteren Special 6 was generally reminiscent of most well-aged Belgian Dark Ales; I am not sure if the very well aged 1984 La Trappe Dubbel which threw me off was better than this but both are great beers for sure. I went to great lengths to get this beer and probably I am very slightly disappointed as I intended that this is going to be my top beer but I believe it is still under the blue and gold cap slightly; though I rate it very well on BA. However it is within my top 3 beers and I still have 1 more bottle. I will try to have Christelle get me a few more bottles of this wonderous brew.

09-27-2007 19:20:59 | More by basica
EPICAC

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

My friend and I each had a bottle of this at Bierhuis Kulminator in Antwerp. My friend spotted some unlabeled bottles with red caps on the shelf behind the bar. He asked about them and was told that they were bottles of Westvleteren 6 from 1998, the last year that it was produced. We ordered two bottles, which were served in Abdij St. Sixtus goblets at cellar temperature.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark-brown with ruby tints. A one-inch beige head fades to a quarter-inch layer leaving sheets of lace.

Smell: Smells aged. Notes of tart cherries, dark fruit and light toffee maltiness. Has the characteristic vinous aroma of an aged beer. Smells amazing.

Taste: Sweet with some malty caramel notes and fruity notes of dates and raisins, not too sweet though. Light peppery spice and a nice amount of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, low carbonation.

Drinkability: Mellow, but flavorful.

Overall: It's amazing how well this beer has held up, very delicious. I feel very lucky to have had one.

12-11-2006 04:12:52 | More by EPICAC
hopdog

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle shared with weeare138 & egajdzis (thanks a ton Eric)!. 1991 vintage. I've looking for this one for a long time and finally, here it is!

This one was a light gusher (shame a couple drops were wasted on the counter top, but I though I saw Eric slurpping the drops up!). Poured a medium and murky brown color with a small sized off white head.

Aromas of dark fruits (plums and cherries), caramel, light cork, and had a light overall mustiness to it. Tastes of the same although they were lighter than the aromas.

Thinner body. Held up amazingly well and its a shame they don't brew this one any more.

08-30-2006 19:46:06 | More by hopdog
Trappist Westvleteren Special 6 from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)