Trappist Westvleteren Special 6 - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren Special 6Trappist Westvleteren Special 6

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Red Cap)

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-31-2004)
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle (from 1996) at Akkurat in Stokholm. I had been searching for this beer for awhile and it took a trip to Sweden to find it. Beer poured a deep amber color with a slight haze in the body but fairly clear. The aroma was earthy and a bit scotchy. The taste was sweet, almost port like. This beer appears to have held up very well as there was still a malty character to the beer but no real hop presence as expected. Overall a damn find beer that is worth the cost to me.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Trappist Westvleteren 6 (VINTAGE 1998) (Rating 10/10) - 6.2 ABV - 28 September 2007

This one is none other than my toughest find in the world of beers; not only is it the revered Westvleteren, it is a Westvleteren Special 6 from 1998 which is its last year of brew. A mighty THANK YOU to one of my Belgian beer friend, Christelle, for getting this for me. I know that
folks have yearned for this much sought after red cap and I myself had went through much before finally getting to Christelle who managed to get me 2 bottles straight from the Kulminator in Antwerp and have it shipped thousands of miles to Singapore into my very arms! It's a true godsend and now with the rambling out of the way, lets get down to reviewing this great beer. The bottle was capped tight and I had some trouble cracking it open; when I did an immediately vinous aroma flows out; I poured it carefully into my Abdij St Sixtus chalice. The Special 6 pours out a dark brown color with a thick head with good retention; a good looking bouquet. The smell was like some sort of a pie or sweet pastry with a good amount of breadiness; lot's of sweetness packed in it. Of course aged vinous aromas with dark fruits also form part of the aroma; a very good and sweet smelling beer. It is now all set for me to take my first sip. It has a strong taste of aged dark fruits which includes plums, dates, raisins, berries with a light bready malt backing. The sweet pie like nature was only very subtle. The finish was dry, slightly bitter, and it leaves strong vinous dark fruity, floral and sweet malty aromas on the nose; very nice. The after taste started off with strong dark fruit tastes ranging from dates, plums to raisins and a slight bit of pie or pastry sweetness; some malts on the nose and palates too. Also on the nose as the after taste lingers is a nice everlasting fruity floral aroma. The after taste then then becomes more of grapes and raisins with the familar aged vinous tastes; a very lasting after taste which concludes like a fruity tasting candy. The mouthfeel was slightly creamy and the body was between medium to full but what surprised me was how well the carbonation held up over the years and was still at such a
good level. It was generally light and refreshing and definitely very smooth drinking as I drank up the last few mouthful. The taste of the Westvleteren Special 6 was generally reminiscent of most well-aged Belgian Dark Ales; I am not sure if the very well aged 1984 La Trappe Dubbel which threw me off was better than this but both are great beers for sure. I went to great lengths to get this beer and probably I am very slightly disappointed as I intended that this is going to be my top beer but I believe it is still under the blue and gold cap slightly; though I rate it very well on BA. However it is within my top 3 beers and I still have 1 more bottle. I will try to have Christelle get me a few more bottles of this wonderous brew.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

My friend and I each had a bottle of this at Bierhuis Kulminator in Antwerp. My friend spotted some unlabeled bottles with red caps on the shelf behind the bar. He asked about them and was told that they were bottles of Westvleteren 6 from 1998, the last year that it was produced. We ordered two bottles, which were served in Abdij St. Sixtus goblets at cellar temperature.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark-brown with ruby tints. A one-inch beige head fades to a quarter-inch layer leaving sheets of lace.

Smell: Smells aged. Notes of tart cherries, dark fruit and light toffee maltiness. Has the characteristic vinous aroma of an aged beer. Smells amazing.

Taste: Sweet with some malty caramel notes and fruity notes of dates and raisins, not too sweet though. Light peppery spice and a nice amount of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, low carbonation.

Drinkability: Mellow, but flavorful.

Overall: It's amazing how well this beer has held up, very delicious. I feel very lucky to have had one.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle shared with weeare138 & egajdzis (thanks a ton Eric)!. 1991 vintage. I've looking for this one for a long time and finally, here it is!

This one was a light gusher (shame a couple drops were wasted on the counter top, but I though I saw Eric slurpping the drops up!). Poured a medium and murky brown color with a small sized off white head.

Aromas of dark fruits (plums and cherries), caramel, light cork, and had a light overall mustiness to it. Tastes of the same although they were lighter than the aromas.

Thinner body. Held up amazingly well and its a shame they don't brew this one any more.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Much thanks to egajdzis for this vintage brew from '91.
Appears a dark, hazy chestnut with a small off white head that fades into a small collar. There is no lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of dusty, corky, caramel, brown sugar, with oak, nuts, and dark fruit swirling in there.
Taste is of the same aromas with the yeast jumping out.
Mouthfeel is mildly thin with the yeast standing out amongst everything else along the palate. Starts out sweet on the front of the tongue, fading into a mild dull bitter with a very faint sourness that's hardly noticable. Finishes slightly slick at the swallow.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Tried at the Kulminator in Antwerp. Bottled in 1998, there can't be too many of these left anywhere.

Leen (co-owner of Kulminator) poured this into a St. Sixtus goblet. It had an enormous tan-white head which was pillowy, sticky, and durable. The beer itself was light brown, murky but light passed through. It looked and smelled appetizing, with yeasty bready aromas.

Probably the best part was the creamy texture which complimented the fig-like fruity flavors. I don't know what this tasted like fresh, but 8 years later it's really good. Similar to the Westvleteren 8, but different in a way I can't describe very well. I prefer this to the 8.

Get it while it's still around.

Bottled in 1998.

Sampled at the Kulminator in Antwerpen.

Pours a hazy medium brown with a bumpy tan head that disippates after the first few sips.

The nose is incredible. Imagine opening the oven door to remove a loaf of dark fruitbread with nuts, cherries, raisins, and plums. It's warm, dark, fruity and beautiful in its complexity.

The taste follows the nose, comingling dark fruits and yeasty esthers all while maintaining an incredible mouthfeel.

Too bad the monk's stopped brewing this. One local I spoke to in Brugge voiced the opinion the monks had stopped production on this out of a desire to avoid increasing demand. I'm not sure if this theory holds any truth, but I could certainly see why people would have been wanting this delicious beer.

Eric-

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Circa 1997, pulled magically out of the air (actually out of Amsterdam I think) by Felonious Phil. The best smelling beer ever. Smelled like pumpkin-apple cake. I could have just kept smelling this beer forever. Appearance was a cloudy, bottom-of-the-lake brown. Taste was like a bunch of great desserts all mixed together; blueberry cheesecake, pumpkin pie, caramel mousse, apple fruit tart. Silky, silky smooth wih a sweet finish. This is the definition of dessert beer. I think one of those naughty monks sold his soul to come up with this. So sad to find out it is made no more.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Sampled at the Kulminator in Antwerpen, Belgium. This was the first of the evening and a beer I had to try before it, well, disappeared from the planet.

Vintage 1998

Ruddy Brown.

Enticing aroma. Probably the best aroma of any beer I have ever smelled before. Vibrant fruit notes; apple, pear, berries and cherries along with a maltiness of cookies and caramel.

Soft and mellow. Spicy and very fruity. The woven fruit notes are very hard to distinquish. Banana esters, ripe pear and plums along with a nice maltiness of chocolate, biscuits and slight butter. Somewhat oxidized but it didn't matter. This was so big for its size. I'm glad I was able to try this.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

1997 vintage, sampled at the Kulminator in Antwerpen. Wow, what an awesome dead beer. Make this again you monks! This is a dark, slightly hazy brown colour with an ample head of tan foam. Aromas are strong and forceful. They consist of a multitude of berries, and other dark fruits, slight alcohol, deep malts, and nice herbal/medicinal hops. The taste is very fruity, creamy, and malty with a nice hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is quite creamy and really rather exceptional...and the drinkability is perfect as well. The blonde is pretty damn good, but why they *replaced* this with it, I will never know...they should start making this one again. It's like a session version of the 8 (which I also love)

Trappist Westvleteren Special 6 from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)