Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,224

to view more.
Ratings: 5,275 | Reviews: 1,683
4.39/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Great beer At this point not that complex. But all beers brewed with 5 ingredients should be judges against this beer. One of the beers that started it all. Tons of respect.

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fresh from the source during a recent trip to Belgium. Tough to rate this beer to be honest. It really seems to need some more time in the bottle prior to tasting. With that said, it is not hard to imagine how the flavors will develop over the next year or two. Multiple layers of flavor, with burnt caramel, espresso, malt, date syrup, and other fruit in the background. Will likely have to update this review at a later date after tasting a more mature bottle.

4.94/5  rDev +7.2%

Glad I have been able to have this twice, amazing!

I don't feel qualified to review this, but I was fortunate enough to get a 8,10,and 12. They were all wonderful, burn a class of their own.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown in color, white head tops it off. The head stay for a spell and fades to a thin ring. Fruity notes on the nose, raisins, figs and cherries come to mind. Sweet and malty to start then the fruity flavors come in to play. A bit bubbly in the mouth. A very nice Quad but I think there are better out there.

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Definitely the best quad I have ever had. Kind of blew me away since I figured it couldnt live up the the hype and it exceeded.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to MNMike for sharing his 2012 bottle.

Amazing quad. I can completely understand the hype. Frankly, I am sorely disappointed this isnt #1 overall anymore on the top 250.

Fantastic nose, perfect mouthfeel, creamy and smooth with just the right level of carb. Flavor is amazing, rich, plum, raisins, apricot blend. Amazing.

4.11/5  rDev -10.8%

A bottle from Au Bon Vieux Temps on 3/26/15, cap marked 10.12.17
Beautiful fluffy head, dark brown. Malt and caramel aroma. Leans sweet, a bit high carbonation wise. A little smoke and spice with the malt. Improved on warming.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

One of the best beers ever.

4.73/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

wonderful, but I gotta say I did this side by side by side with Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus 12 (could not tell a difference from SB12, yes I know why...) and Rochefort 10 wins my vote for the best of the 3. All great, just personal preference...

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark brown color with a beige head. Aroma of dark fruit and spices. Taste is a mix of dark fruit, chocolate, spices and caramel. The alcohol is also present in the taste and enriches it. Very good beer, but the Rochefort 10 is slightly better in my opinion.

It's nearly impossible to get this beer, but if you somehow come across it, you'll understand why there are nothing but 5's in my review. Easily the best beer I've ever had. I even aged a few, and the flavors were even more pronounced.

4.94/5  rDev +7.2%

Best beer in the world, hard to say...drink it with Belgian chocolate and I'm sold!

4.81/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dried fruit nose, yeast, dark sugars. Pours brilliant chestnut with a persistent moussey tan tinted head. Caramel to toffee palate with dried fruit – raisins, honey, dark bread, faint anise and clove. Is very creamy with some alcohol on the finish and some light warming. Very rich with above average body and layers of flavor. Very fine malt flavors - especially caramel and toffee. Very well done, well rounded and balanced some very deep and interesting flavors.

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had the beer at different locations, and different occasions. At "le bon vieux temps", in bruxelles, and in Vleteren, and also from bottle shop in bruxelles. Incredible beer.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

One of my favorite beers.nice and and dark with a excellent fruit and sugar palate. Enjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Generally I am not a huge fan of quads, but damned if this one isn't solid as hell. I saw some posts today so I figured that I would go ahead and tick this one off the list!

Appearance: Murky very dark chestnut colored. Lots of foamy frothy head develops in the pour.

Aroma: Winelike aroma. Nice ripe grape and plum aromas in there. Not as estery as one would think from a Belgian quad.

Taste: Very well made beer. Some Belgian yeast esters in there, but it does not have that clove spice note that is every present in many of them. The wine ripe grape and plum fruits shine on the palate as well. Finish is very clean and dry for such a dark beer.

Overall: I wasn't sure about this one considering my past experiences with quads, I mean like them alright but this one certainly lives up to the hype and the complexities are there to a point I really cannot convey as well as others, but its well worth the ratings it once had as number 1 beer in the world and maybe should be closer than it used to be. I am just happy I had the opportunity to give it a try!

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

The hype is real. Deep flavors. Beautiful aroma.

4.99/5  rDev +8.2%

The complexity of this beer has me in awe and in the winter a beer that one could live off of. Beautifully done.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a chalice.

I'm surprised by a gusher of head when I pop the cap off, but after getting this under wraps and pouring into the wide-mouthed chalice, I'm able to sit back and admire a wondrous finger thick head that looks almost like whipped butter in its thick, heavy composition. There's a tinge of plum-color to the otherwise cream-colored head. The body is plum-colored with a good dose of dark brown to it and immense, relentless carbonation surging upward. A bit of yeast accumulates at the base of the glass but this is mostly clean-looking.

A nose of pungent dark fruit, faint sweet caramel and vague spice first catch my notice. A creamy berry quality drifts in and out. My overall impression is subtlety reigns here but what I do smell is lovely.

Well then, that's a creamy sweet beast with a bit of a spicy edge. There's an exceptional balance of flavors and feels here, especially with regard to the yeast and malt which impart neither the pungent nor overly floral flavors that I find in many Belgians. Instead I find a light touch of dark fruit, restrained vanilla and caramel and a grassy and floral finish that have a bit of bite. If you let the beer warm a bit, you'll start to notice some chocolatey notes too.

There's a surprisingly assertive bitterness to this beer, more than I think I've ever noticed on any other quad before, but there's also the most impeccably creamy body to this that I think any beer has ever offered me. The sweetness is tasteful and even understated and the yeast, while peppery, doesn't overrun the mouth with that acrid feel some Belgian or Belgian-style beers suffer from.

Well, if there's one thing that I can say separates this from other quads I've had and makes it worthy of the hype it's the great feel with each sip. Plenty of going on, but the creamy smoothness is worthy of numerous swirls and even then you'll be tempted to simply let the beer sit on your palate before saying good bye forever.

4.06/5  rDev -11.9%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into mini pint glass
(drank 2/23/15)

L: murky brown-orange ... relatively light with lots of amber/orange in it; huge tan foam head

S: dusty raisins ... mustiness is undeniable, but so are the dark fruits behind it

T: super sweet, fruity ... raisin bread ... same mustiness as nose but flavor is much sweeter than the aroma; slight caramel

F: perfect ... tons of carbonation mixed with good weight is super nice

O: didn't get to drink a full bottle, but the sample was interesting -- side-by-side with Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus 12, it clearly came in third but was still very good. the mustiness had a quality I tried and tried to place but couldn't other than to say musty.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've saved this beer for a year and a half because I told myself I wouldn't drink I would save it for when I passed my CPA exam. Well I found it today that I passed all 4 parts, so I cracked this baby open.

It puts a light brown with almost no head. The to maintains a thin white lace throughout. It smells rich, like a dessert. Loaded with dates and figs behind a musky funk. The taste follows the nose exactly. Sticky fruit with a sugary back round. The only thing keeping this from being a perfect taste is the backend is a little too sweet. Mouthful is medium thickness with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, had the sweetness on the back end been toned down it would have been a great beer but I was a little disappointed.

Even with the hype, this beer truly manages to be outstanding. Nothing I could say can describe the experience. It's just a ridiculously enjoyable brew that will treat your senses.

4.44/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Friend shared 12oz bottle with me today. I don't have a lot of experience with Belgian style beers, but I could tell why this one is so highly rated. Really delicious

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

I have been wanting to try this for some time and finally acquired one as part of a bigger trade. I always thought that maybe this beer was mostly hype and that it wasn't worth the trouble when I could easily get a Rochefort 10 or similar. I was wrong. It is amazing. Dates and raisins and some complex yeast magic. Almost made me swoon it is so good. I ordered 6 from Belgium and happily paid the crazy shipping. Forever ISO more.

to view more.