Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Wants: 3,382
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

(Yellow Cap)
Reviews: 1,701 | Hads: 5,542
Reviews by CSFerrier:

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

July 24, 2009: Along with the notes below, the cotton candy/confection/powdered sugar flavor is super clean and full of taste. Ester profile shows more grape flavors than I remember. An immaculate beer fit for it's #1 status.

So, this is the daddy of all daddyies; the penacle of all fermented malty beverages; the beer that carries the biggest kahunas; the most elusive and sought-after beer of all. Can a beer possibly live up to it's legendary status? Yes in fact, it can. A very deep, strong, agressive berry and candied aroma swells from the bottle, even before the pour. The beer pours neatly into the chalice with a rising pillow of foam that brings out more dark berries, dehydrated fruits, and tart, warming alcohols. Very mouth-watering and inviting. That first sip brings a lot of that rich berry flavor (blackberries, cranberries, raspberries, and a hint of grapes) that shines above a seriously malt base. Pecans, almonds, and graham cracker flavors display the malts well. Dehydrated / candied fruits (cherries, pineapples, dates and figs) meld with a sweet rum-like alcohol flavor and makes this beer some of the better flavors ever placed into my mouth. The body shows all of the firm-ness, viscity, and creaminess needed for a perfect-five beer, but the alcohols and berry-vineous flavors slice through it, making it waver just a bit. The berry flavor lingers on and on... I can still taste it from last night. It is easy to see why this beer so easily seduces even the most seasoned beer enthusiest, but I have to ask it to reluctantly step aside of this grand pedistal for its little brother, Westvleteren Dubbel.

Thanks Clvand0
Nathan15
Thanks Maxskip! (1,676 characters)

Cap Date - 07.05.17

A: Poured into a chalice, the beer produced lots of foam at first but quickly fizzed away allowing the pour to finish - when it was finally poured fully (minus the yeast) it was a finger and a half tall made of mid sized bubbles with a tan color. It continually bubbled up from the bottom creating pockets of foam, but the retention was low. The beer has a dark brown, leather like appearance with moderate haze, hints of auburn show as it is held to a light source.

S: Mild to medium aroma with prunes, plums, figs, red grapes. Also getting a fresh yeasty character, not traditional belgian yeast but more like bread yeast. Toast and melenoidin bread crust aromas are at the threshold levels and a spicey note that could be coming from hops or yeast phenols.

T: Huge flavor.. Tons of those dark fruit flavors - dates, prunes, figs, with a big base of bread crust, biscuits and toast. Tobacco, melenoidins, burnt sugar, slight vanilla and dark cherries also coming through at different rates. The sweetness is kept to a low level with the big spicey hop bitterness and flavor giving an earthy undertone and the yeasty character i pickup gives a surprising lager like cleanness. The phenols are kept to a minimum and there is only a hint of ethanol in the flavor (at this early age).

M: A creamy mouthfeel that gives way to a moderately high carbonation bite. There is a tingly sensation on the palette that reminds me of a bourbon barrel aged beer. Moderate body with a high amount of alcohol warming.

O: There are no short of reviews for this beer and chances are this won’t convince you to try or not try this beer, however if you can get the beer without too much trouble - get it. Not nearly as alcohol forward as I’ve heard and I wasn’t prepared for the yeasty bread flavor that made this very interesting and more drinkable. I’ll be curious to see how my other bottles age. (1,915 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -7.6%

The time has finally come to put a splash of beer in my BA mug and what better beer than Westvleteren 12? I've had two of these in my cellar for about six months now and have been saving them for a special occasion. Something tells me that the contents have held up just fine. 'Best by' date on the yellow cap is 01.07.06.

The pour generates the typically massive Belgian head and I can see small chunks entering my chalice when the bottle is about 2/3 empty. Extremely murky chestnut brown; the beer looks like strong, unfiltered apple cider. The ecru colored cap has barely fallen in the three minutes since the pour. I'm expecting a huge amount of Belgian lace, but it hasn't yet had the chance to form since the head is so obstinate.

The aroma is more subdued than expected, but to be fair, I'm trying to assess it through a still thick cap of foam. What I do appreciate is brown malty, fruity and toasted nutty. I also pick up whiffs of Belgian yeast and alcohol.

The flavor profile is complex to say the least. It's comprised of loads of caramel malt, molasses, licorice, and dark, dried fruits (raisins, dates and prunes). Candied pecans and modestly funky yeast make appearances, as does the aforementioned alcohol. There are also darker contributors such as coffee and chocolate. Simply an amazing collection of seemingly unlimited flavors. The mouthfeel is big and firm, chewy even, but stops short of full or heavy.

Westvleteren 12 is world-class, no doubt about it. I can appreciate this beer (I think), I respect this beer, I even like this beer a lot. I just don't love this beer. Call me a hophead, call me an unrefined simpleton, call me what you will, but that's how I feel at this juncture in my journey. That doesn't mean that Westvleteren 12 is anything less than incredible. Everyone should have the chance to sample it at least once. (1,861 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%

I had the esteemed pleasure of having this beer on my trip to Belgium; first a one year old version at me mate's house in Ghent, then straight out of the bottle at the abbey when I picked up 48 bottles of blond, then a two year old version at me mate's house. While having the two year old, me mate brought out yet another bottle of the one year old so we could compare them. I figured aged beers were for snobby pretentious little bastards, but I was proven wrong upon tasting the difference betwixt the two. Touche. I didn't actually review the version straight from the abbey, but I've included my reviews of both the one year old and the two year old below. I know I'm a lucky bastard, for the record. Obviously, both were from the bottle, served into a proper Westy goblet. I tasted the aged versions in Ghent, but I don't recall the altitude there. Note the two year aged review is less specific because I knew I'd already reviewed the one year.

A(1yr): Two finger head of amazing cream and thickness. A dark black colour with an amber bottom. Very appealing. Excellent retention. I let the beer sit for a bit so that it would be the correct temperature; it was fetched from a refrigerator.

A(2yr): Two finger head of lovely cream and thickness. Dark amber colour.

Sm(1yr): Cream. Very subtle spices and esters. Esters are seemingly dominated by raspberry. Some nutty hops. Exquisitely subtle. Balanced. A light strength scent overall, but then me nose is broken.

Sm(2yr): Dark fruit. Cream. Hops. Complex.

T(1yr): Beautiful body of nut, spice, and especially tamed fruit, which bleeds - nay - allows itself into the finish. Perfectly balanced. Fruit hangs on the finish, joined by a symphony of cream. Cream is also present on the open. A perfect injection of bitterness is present just before the climax.

T(2yr): Dark fruit, hoppy body build. Amazing. Incredibly complex. Balanced perfectly. Built perfectly. Fuck me that's delightful.

Mf(1yr): Perfectly creamy, smooth, and wet yet dry. Teases an orgasm from the tongue. Amazing.

Mf(2yr): Silky. Soft and smooth. Amazing. Delicate and incredible.

Dr(1yr): I would down this repeatedly if given the chance and budget (and I did, at In Da Vrede). If you have a last meal, this ought to be a candidate for the drink. Makes you close your eyes to savour the taste. Believe the hype; this is the best beer I've had so far. The best retention I've ever seen.

Dr(2yr): Fecking brilliant-like. Hides its ABV absurdly well.

Note that the numeric review values correspond to the two year.

A+ (4.8) (2,569 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Glad I was able to try this one. Did not blow my mind. Very good for the style but not worth the effort required in my opinion (126 characters)

Better than expected. Reminds me of Trappist Rochefort 10, but less alcoholy. Like the bottle design a lot. I have a version minus the label, but looks much better with it on. (175 characters)

God's gift to beer fans. The best of the best in my favorite style. (67 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the cellar, marked 27-03-15. Dark reddish root beer brown with five fingers of sudsy beige foam. Rich sweet nose: Milk chocolate, sultanas, rum toffee, faint clove, banana chips, strawberry, subdued grassy hops. The aroma does live up to the hype. And the taste? I do understand the comparisons with St. Bernardus Abt 12 (allegedly these beers are the same recipe, different yeast strain). A supremely well-integrated combination of toffee/candy sugar, carob, molasses, cooked fruit (pears and mixed berries), clove-like phenols, licorice, grapes, root beer extract, ginger, plum liquor ... Heady alcohol bloom is the icing on the cake. Although the initial sips are sharply medicinal and boozy, the beer mellows in the glass and on the palate such that the great nuances shine though. Curiously dry and "drinkable" with a lighter than expected body and rather prickly mouthfeel. Some floral hops poke out in the otherwise cacao-like malty finish. Red berry and currant flavors are lingering long after my glass is empty. "Best beer in the world" is not a debate that can ever truly be resolved but this is certainly worthy of the accolades bestowed. Maybe the rarity factor used to play a role here ... With improved availability will the hype wither a bit? Not sure it matters. Worthy of its place in the Trappist pantheon. (1,338 characters)

In order to properly rate this beer, one must also consider the journey that is required to enjoy this brew at its home in Westvleteren, Belgium. The fruity, complex taste is complemented by the atmosphere of enjoying this in the hop fields of western Belgium. I highly recommend taking the trip to Westvleteren in order to enjoy one of the best beers that I have ever had the privilege of tasting. It is truly a pilgrimage that should be taken by every serious beer lover. (473 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Great beer At this point not that complex. But all beers brewed with 5 ingredients should be judges against this beer. One of the beers that started it all. Tons of respect. (177 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

At long last I was finally able to snag the great Westy 12,pours a deep brown with a suprisingly thin head that was gone pretty quickly not leaving anything behind.Whoa the aromas are just incredibly complex and rich,some almond and raisin almost a cinnamon bun type aroma to it,just awesome.Flavors are more mellow than expected,I get some star anice and raisin up front with some mellow orange tinge in the lngering finish.I like the "12"better than the "8" but I have had some better Quads but still a pleasure to drink for sure. (532 characters)

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

My second Westy ever! Also at the Kulminator.

Appearance: Like the 8, this beer poured a super drak brown and was accompanied by a huge, appetizing tan head. While it looked like alot of beers....worth a scoing of 4....i had to give it a 4.5 based on my anticipation. It just looked so good, i couldn't wait!

Smell: Although the nose had sweet chocolatey notes as well as spicey hints to it, i found that it was much more mild and subtle then i had anticipated.

Taste: Here we go!!! Wow. A wonderfuly rich beer with sweet and complex flavours throughout. Hints of chocolate and caramel. Spices of cinamon and nutmeg, maybe even a hint of molasses. Soem dark fruitiness and even some light woody notes towards the mildly bitter finish which also had a refined, port-like quality to it.

Mouthfeel: Rich, creamy, complex...very warming and fullfilling. Tastes linger nicely and change even after you're done your sip.

Drinkability: It doesn't get much better than this! A world class beer. This one goes into my top 10 for sure. If i could only find more, i would buy them all. (1,090 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance – Thick, dark brown with live carbonation and a monster head that went down slowly and puddled at the end.

Smell – Big, sweet, buttery malts lead this one off. This is followed by an array of fruity smells that are very rich and thick. Sharp, heavy maple and molasses bring up the rear of this BSDA, giving it a wonderful bouquet indeed.

Taste – This is exceptional. The rich buttery malt base is there, laden with alcohol. Behind that are the fruits. They are dark and extremely ripe. The overripe apricots, dark cherries, and figs all seem to be smashed together (well blended) and covered in sugars of all types, especially brown and raw.

Mouthfeel – Full in the body and extremely smooth and buttery. This one defines creaminess at its best. The carbonation is very live and fluffy.

Drinkability – This is truly a BSDA classic that lives up to the hype. It will always be towards the top of the ratings list.

Comments – With almost zero availability here in Seattle, I was thrilled when I got this one from OldFrothingSlosh in the Christmas Beer Exchange coordinated by Richard, Mr. Big Dog himself. Thanks to the giving spirit of the BA community for giving me the opportunity to try this most excellent Trappist Ale. (1,254 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Dates and Anise fill out this perfectly rounded and balanced brew that is the color of blood and prune juice with a lovely yeast loaded off white head. Drinking this one was such a thrill and I largely agree with the hype. This is undoubtedly one of the top ten beers I have ever tasted. It is so wonderfully warming and gets richer and more pleasurable with each taste. Well worth a trip to Belgium in my book even if you can get it black market style at the punk bar down the street. Couldn't ask for a more perfect brew for my 200th review. (543 characters)

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Acquired one bottle from '12 (thanks to cneville) and one bottle from '11 (from Mike) and did a side-by-side with the '11 Westy and a St. Bernardus Abt 12 - just to see what all the fuss is about. Westy pours a murky, dark brown color that accumulates deep at the bottom with light only passing through near the top of the beer, giving it a lighter, copper color. A beige, creamy head forms but remains small, even with an aggressive pour, though it can be coaxed out easily by swirling the glass. So far, so good.

The aroma was beautiful, and in all honesty, simply everything that a Belgian strong ale should be. Raisins, figs, dates - all lightly sugar coated and soaked with a mild boozy flavor. Sweet, smooth brown sugar, faint roses, lightly toasted nuts, toffee malt, and another complex layer of booze that gets a bit stronger as the beer warms up, until it reaches a slightly phenol-like presence. Earthy and dark, fruity esters abound, along with light hints of spices and Belgian yeasty warmth. It all remains wrapped in an array of sugary and savory aromas - the nose on this is one of the most perplexing things I've come across. Just SO MANY THINGS going on, yet it all mingles so strangely well.

A heavily bread and caramel malt backbone leads the way as I take my first sip. I don't have much time to linger with that, however, because my palate is immediately thrust into a flavor profile more stunning than the aroma. Candied grapes, figs, dates, and more dark, juicy, overripe fruits. Sweet red licorice, light booze, honey, calm, earth and fruit esters, mild clove and warming spices, Belgian yeast... I could go on and on. Truth is, the flavor profile on this bad boy is truly an enigma - so many things happening and there's no way you're going to capture all of them with mere words. Some heavy bread and almost rye-like flavors in the aftertaste, buttery and smooth. Somewhat on the heavy side without being thick or syrupy; silky and smooth on the palate, very creamy and not sticky at all - decent carbonation, even for nearly two years of age.

So, is this the "best beer in the world" ? No. Well, in my opinion, anyway. BUT - I can definitely see why some people might agree with that, and I can definitely say that it deserves to be in the discussion. Even though it doesn't necessary top my list, it's certainly one of the best and most well crafted beers I've had, and no doubt a benchmark example of the style. If you love beer, do yourself a favor and seek one of these out. It was really an amazing beer, and the experience of enjoying it for yourself (or with a friend) is excellent. (2,620 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

A: A deep reddish brown color, nearly opaque. A nice looking beige head of about 3 cm with good retention leaves plenty of lacings.

S: A deep and rich smell. Plenty of fruity aromas (cherries, plums, overripe strawberries), raisins, wet wood. The malty backbone is thick and "dark" and is accompanied by a prominent spicy aroma. A hint of yeast. The alcohol is noticeable, but very integrated with the rest of the aromas. A great smell.

T: The taste is nothing but fantastic. A noble and rich malty backbone and semi-sweet cherries converge with a prominent, but not very strong, taste of alcohol. At this point, the beer is quite reminiscent of a fine liqueur. Hints of chocolate and coffee. Raisins adds another sweet component. Earthy yeast and spices balance the massive sweetness. Faint nutty aromas, and perhaps just a minimal hint of tartness. In the finish, the alcohol is very noticeable and has a sweet and warming character. But the alcohol is very well integrated and suits the beer nicely. The finish is slightly bitter with notes of spices, iron and grass.

M: Full-bodied with a velvety smooth texture. The rather high level of carbonation is well suited for the overall character.

D: What to say about this legendary brew? Well, I think it's almost as good as it's reputation say it is. It's just unbelievably tasty with an impressive complex character. This one comes really close to perfection. (1,417 characters)

Absolutely deserving of the best beer in the world title. Has such an utter depth and complexity it will leave your head spinning. Aesthetics are quite nice with a dark color and a pleasant tan head, but the smell is when you realize something incredibly is coming. Fruits, spices, candy, it just hits you all at once with an intensity even stronger than a Dogfish 120.

On a side note, if at all possible wait to try this beer until you are able to make the pilgrimaged out to the monastery in Belgium. The surrounding country is some of the most peaceful and quiet farmland I've ever seen, and builds up the experience of trying the beer to a whole new level. (661 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75